• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
overcast

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
So much good info, I'll tell you guys what I end up doing. Should be getting hotels/BNB's at the end of the month/early April.
What week? There's a bunch of stuff in May that I'm aware of. Also what genres?
The first week of June essentially, last few days of May too. Since it's my GF's tastes considered too. Pop - indie rock/electronic works.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As a Boston native this is not only the best response so far but it's also making me want to further explore towns outside the city. Great write-up.

👍

Central / Western Mass has a lot going on, especially for beer + farms these days. Lots of cool stuff. My wife and I went out to Tree House a couple weeks ago, and then stopped by another new brewery in East Brookfield called Timberyard, before going onto Sturbridge to get dinner at ... uhh ... Cedar Street Grill... I think was the name. Was all really good. I love going to Amherst and Northhampton, but we only get out there once a year maybe.

If you want some nature/scenery stuff check out www.thetrustees.org

Ton of free or cheap nature preserves to visit

Agreed, Trustees Organization is great. We love visiting the Crane Estate / Crane Beach in Ipswich.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I am jealous, i love Boston. I am pretty sure some people have suggested it but anyway, go see a Sox game at Fenway. It is a must when in Boston.

I highly enjoyed a short trip by the T to Newburyport when i visited Boston in 2017 too.

Best pizza is had at Reginas in North End too.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Lived in the North End for four years and loved it. Such a great city.

Hit up the Sail Loft for the best clam chowder of your life.

If the line for Mike's Pastry is long, just go the street over to Bova's. Just as good.

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lived in Boston my whole life and there's not much that you should do that hasn't already been said..

For renting a car, I'd say go for it, even if it's for 2 days. Seeing New Hampshire and Maine would be great this time of year. Salem, MA is a great day trip spot to walk around and is a pretty historic. Also a mom & pop game store there called Game Zone you can check out, as well as a comic/collectible store called Harrison's. Salem Willows will give you a good look at the ocean as well as a few great food spots, a nice park and arcades. Foliage in New Hampshire (lakes region) can be nice.
For food, you're going to want to check on Pizzaria Regina, original location in the North End, but also another location in Medford, MA. If you like ramen, Yume Wo Katari is a no brainer. Honey Dew Donuts is by far better than Dunkins, don't let anybody fool you. For Mexican? Border Cafe in Saugus, MA or Burlington, MA. For super cheap, but good food - check out The Pour House on Boylston Street (Prudential, Newbury area). For breweries, there's a ton that popped up in Salem, MA also. Boston Beer Works is there, Notch, Far From the Tree, and Gentile are located there.

Downtown Boston including the Prudential building, Newbury Street, Boston Garden can all be explored and done in a day without much effort. I never went clubbing or anything, but seeing shows at Brighton City Music Hall were the best. Harvard Square, Central Square, Union Square - lots of stuff to do and check out as another day trip. Also close to MIT.

Last edited:

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I'll go ahead and plan an over night right in the middle of the trip. Which of these areas has the most beautiful scenic value? Also which is at least decently.. populated? Lol.

Awesome, thanks for that info. Been trying to figure the neighborhoods.

Agreed, Trustees Organization is great. We love visiting the Crane Estate / Crane Beach in Ipswich.

Yup, that's a good resource, and to answer your question on scenic value, I favor the North Shore. There are some great views from Crane Estate up on the hill as mentioned, and some nice scenic coastal roads.

I don't think you'll find anything that's not decently populated - plenty going on. Rockport is small, known for its art, and has a beautiful dock area with lots of art galleries/food/shops that makes a great stroll - called Bradley Wharf I believe. You could drive to Rockport, up 133 stopping at Crane Estate/Beach in Ipswich, and swing by Plum Island or Newburyport all in a day.

One other touristy thing that goes a bit under the radar and is very accessible: Charles River boat tours. It basically takes you from where the Charles River (separating Boston and Cambridge) meets the ocean (well, the harbor) to Harvard. I did it with a work group recently and actually learned a ton about the history and geography of the city, plus it's a unique way to see some of the buildings and architecture. Goes by MIT, Harvard, the Esplanade, a few historic and cool bridges. I enjoyed it - boats are covered but it's probably better if you have a decent day. Doesn't take very long.

Larger boat cruises that tour the Boston Harbor Islands are also nice. They have sunset cruises, and some are on smaller real sailboats with booze, but I'd only recommend that if someone was comfortable boating. I was on one sitting next to a group from Iowa, and they were a little alarmed at the angle of the sailboat as we cruised. Bigger flat boats should be fine for anyone. You can also go out and hang on one of the Harbor Islands for a day or part of one - my favorite is Spectacle Island. Most of that stuff leaves from behind the Boston Harbor Hotel or the Seaport - both very accessible.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't they connected? I vaguely remember going upstairs in the Avalon and being in a different club.
There was a "small" club adjacent to the VIP area of Avalon on the second floor called Europa behind the dj booth. There was street level access too. Axis and Avalon were separated by a door and hallway to the right of the stage at Avalon. That hallway used to be the VIP entrance to Avalon as well.

*I used to promote for the club nights at Avalon and Roxy.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Be sure to hit up UBurger when you're by Fenway / Kenmore Square. Their burgers are the best in Boston, and their onion rings are to die for

OP
OP
overcast

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Quickly gonna bump this. Leaving in a few days and I have most of it planned out. Boston (5 days) -> Omni Mt. Washington -> Portland Maine -> Northampton -> Boston for the last three days.

Looks like it'll be pretty cool while I'm there so I'll pack sweaters on sweaters. Also, is it worth stopping in any of the cities from Portland back to Boston? Salem at all worth it? If anyone has anymore tips I would appreciate it though!

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Get some Italian food downtown at Cantina Italiana. Since you're there 9 days I'd spend a day in Portsmouth, NH too.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
OP if you give me a price range I'm happy to recommend some restaurants for while you're in Boston.

Also, for Portland ME, my brother recently took me and my dad on a brewery tour and we hit up Sebago, which is a relatively large brewery/full tour, and Yes Brewery, which is an extremely tiny microbrewery--I would highly recommend both/either for a stop. He also insisted that we stop at Micucci Grocery to get some slices of pizza, and they were fucking bomb. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
overcast

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
OP if you give me a price range I'm happy to recommend some restaurants for while you're in Boston.

Also, for Portland ME, my brother recently took me and my dad on a brewery tour and we hit up Sebago, which is a relatively large brewery/full tour, and Yes Brewery, which is an extremely tiny microbrewery--I would highly recommend both/either for a stop. He also insisted that we stop at Micucci Grocery to get some slices of pizza, and they were fucking bomb. Highly recommended.
I'm willing to eat at cheap stops or relatively high end. 3-4 dollar signs on yelp is fine.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up there. Try to see the usual sites but make time for the Aquarium. It's one of the best in the country.

If you're planning on renting a car, learn how to do a rotary now. They're pretty cutthroat there and you'll either never get where you're going or will get in an accident. Also avoid route 1 like herpes if you can.

OP
OP
overcast

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
We will have a rental car for 4 days for the New England area so pit stops are welcome.