• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Trip Advisor
Business Insider

The best airlines in the world for 2019 have been revealed in TripAdvisor's annual Travellers' Choice Awards. Now in its third year, the awards celebrate the carriers which are loved by travellers for both value and service.

The ranking is based on millions of reviews, ratings, and opinions from flyers, which are analyzed using an algorithm. A whole year of data (from January to December 2018) is assessed, and both quantity and quality of reviews are taken into account in order to determine which airlines consistently deliver the best experiences for travelers.

Rankings
10. ANA (All Nippon Airways, Japan)
9. Jet2.com (UK, also top placed for all of Europe)
8. Air New Zealand (second place last year; also won best Premium Economy)
7. Azul (Brazil)
6. Southwest (US)
5. JAL (Japan Airlines)
4. Emirates (UAE; also won best First Class)
3. EVA Air (Taiwan)
2. Qatar Airways (also won best Business Class)
1. Singapore Airlines (also won best Economy)

✈️ Nothing shocking ✈️

One day I'll not fly economy........

mXPJjU5.jpg

fOokGHE.jpg

rhlP2XL.jpg

Last edited:

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shocking to see Southwest on there for best airlines. I mean it's not bad, it's certainly at the top of the budget airlines. But it's not a top airline.

Surprised to see no Korean Air, Hainan, or Cathay Pacific on there.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nice to see that my love for Southwest and their amazing policies and staff is being rewarded. :)
What amazing staff? They stuff you in a tube, throw pretzels at you, then off you go. They're the cheapest sure. But it's like riding an inner city bus with wings. How I wish we had bullet trains like every other modern country.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
What amazing staff? They stuff you in a tube, throw pretzels at you, then off you go. They're the cheapest sure. But it's like riding an inner city bus with wings. How I wish we had bullet trains like every other modern country.
Honestly, on domestic flights I don't need much more than that. I've got my wifi, I've got a little snack, the staff is friendly, I don't need much more.
And efficiency is also super important to me and that's something they're very good at.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Southwest is a smooth operation and that goes a long way.

You have other budget carriers like Spirit where you are literally fucking cattle to them as their understaffed ticket counters try to process hundreds of customers.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly, on domestic flights I don't need much more than that. I've got my wifi, I've got a little snack, the staff is friendly, I don't need much more.
And efficiency is also super important to me and that's something they're very good at.
Southwest is a smooth operation and that goes a long way.

You have other budget carriers like Spirit where you are literally fucking cattle to them as their understaffed ticket counters try to process hundreds of customers.
I'd love to know what cities you fly out of. I fly out of Hobby in Houston and let me tell you the package of crackers they give you gets better treatment.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Singapore Airlines is excellent but their economy class is interchangeable with all the other quality airlines. In the end everything depends on the particular aircraft you fly in though. If it's an old model you're usually out of luck.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
What's the stereotype? White people are rich?
Ask yourself why the woman isn't sitting at the laptop, drinking the coffee while the man casually lounges on the bed flicking through a magazine with a fruit and cheese platter. Then ask yourself why these lifestyle shots in magazines and websites have been the same for 50 years. But this is way off topic and I've already railroaded the conversation, I'm sorry.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ask yourself why the woman isn't sitting at the laptop, drinking the coffee while the man casually lounges on the bed flicking through a magazine with a fruit and cheese platter. Then ask yourself why these lifestyle shots in magazines and websites have been the same for 50 years. But this is way off topic and I've already railroaded the conversation, I'm sorry.
Homeboy isn't working either though. Maybe he reads his mags digitally.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fortunate enough to have been long haul in First Suites on Singapore Airlines and it really is as good as it looks. Well deserved all round from Singapore Airlines.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fortunate enough to have been long haul in First Suites on Singapore Airlines and it really is as good as it looks. Well deserved all round from Singapore Airlines.
Dang, lucky. I love watching videos of high end business / first class trips. I should get a miles card.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
The last time I flew Southwest was like 12 years ago and they still had crappy old 737's with terrible seats and no IFE systems. I have heard the average experience now is on par with economy with Delta and America so I might give them a chance if the opportunity comes forth. Mainly now that they serve Hawaii for a future vacation.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
This being travelers choice skews the results in a weird way. A severe lack of smaller European airlines here, and usually Delta is the highest rated among American airlines.

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
I flew Southwest and they couldn't even give me a seat number. Was a free for all. Terrible.

Fly Singapore a fair bit, it's the cheapest airline on the Singapore to Sydney route out of SYD, and always have a good experience. Pre order the Indian Vegetarian meal and get a can of Bentspoke Pale Ale, you're good.

Got the points for Qatar Biz, should find a reason to go to Europe (and a budget flight back)

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's playing League of Legends while she's reading about how to increase the market cap of the startup she's CEO of.
That poster is pushing their own toxic stereotypes on us!

Pretty much.

It's also offensive how the ad is so unrealistic. The bedsheets aren't wrinkled at all! Feels like this advertiser is selling us a dream and not reality! Shameful stuff.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
The one and only time I'll ever fly anything other than economy was when my wife and I were upgraded for free on Emirates to business class. It was bloody unreal.... motorised seats that turned into beds, all the alcohol we could drink and we could order actual edible food whenever we wanted.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The one and only time I'll ever fly anything other than economy was when my wife and I were upgraded for free on Emirates to business class. It was bloody unreal.... motorised seats that turned into beds, all the alcohol we could drink and we could order actual edible food whenever we wanted.
Was it on a longer flight? This happening is my dream.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see no Korean Air, Hainan, or Cathay Pacific on there.
I might have just gotten lucky, but the one time I flew with Cathay Pacific was definitely better than any of the times I've flown with Singapore Airlines/Emirates.
I've somehow been upgraded three times in my life (and would never dream of paying for business class), but it's definitely a night and day difference. And while the food is great, I'm usually the lowest maintenance passenger since I'm just amazed by being able to sleep.

Oct 26, 2017
The last time I flew Southwest was like 12 years ago and they still had crappy old 737's with terrible seats and no IFE systems. I have heard the average experience now is on par with economy with Delta and America so I might give them a chance if the opportunity comes forth. Mainly now that they serve Hawaii for a future vacation.

It's not.

I mean, it's fine, it's not torture *cough Frontier cough* but I have to fly them several times per year and there usually aren't even power outlets. They have no business on this list, imo.

Last edited:

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Was it on a longer flight? This happening is my dream.

It wasn't on the longest portion of the flight, but it was Dubai to London so a good 7 1/2 hours 😁.
It was a Christmas Eve and we were exhausted after the 13 hour flight from Sydney and then a 3 hour stopover at Dubai. The gentleman walked up to us and said how would you like to be upgraded? We thought he was joking or that it would incur a significant cost. I said hesitantly yes.... he said alright and walked back to his counter. We still didn't believe it and when we walked up to board he said have a nice flight and we got a boarding pass with Business class written on it. It was like a scene from a movie. We were just laughing and smiling the whole time.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Having travelled in economy, premium economy and business, I don't think the gap between premium economy and business is that wide (at least on newer aircrafts). Never been in first class.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I don't think I'd fly first class, or even business, even if I won the lotto or something. Unless I'm trying to impress someone

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I'd fly first class, or even business, even if I won the lotto or something. Unless I'm trying to impress someone
If you were a multi millionaire you would fly first or at least business. It's so much better.
And so hard to go back to economy on long haul flights.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't on the longest portion of the flight, but it was Dubai to London so a good 7 1/2 hours 😁.
It was a Christmas Eve and we were exhausted after the 13 hour flight from Sydney and then a 3 hour stopover at Dubai. The gentleman walked up to us and said how would you like to be upgraded? We thought he was joking or that it would incur a significant cost. I said hesitantly yes.... he said alright and walked back to his counter. We still didn't believe it and when we walked up to board he said have a nice flight and we got a boarding pass with Business class written on it. It was like a scene from a movie. We were just laughing and smiling the whole time.
Flying 11 hours in economy in two weeks. Cross your fingers for my upgrade luck pls.

It's more about comfort than impressing people lol.

Oct 26, 2017

As the name implies, Business is generally... people flying for work. Fuck knows that's the only way I can afford it (for free!). Surely you wouldn't demand that your employer fly you Economy if they offered you Business?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Out of those I've only flown on ANA (a 777), and it was pretty good, at least compared with the 747 from Lufthansa I took for the first flight.
But it might be only due to the plane. Or maybe because the seat to the left of us was empty.
Flying 11 hours in economy in two weeks. Cross your fingers for my upgrade luck pls.
Or at least get an empty seat! The issue I had was mostly with the legs. And with the extra leg space we freed when we put the bags on the empty seat it was perfect.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I generally use my frequent flier miles for first class or business class tickets on long haul flights. I usually have enough for at least a couple each year. I wouldn't pay 10 or 20k for a flight unless it was on the company's dime or I was rich, but sure as shit if I'm rich I'll be flying first. As others said it's not to impress people, it's just a way better experience.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's not (just) about having a ton of money to blow, but about how frequent you fly and why. If you fly a couple of times a year and only for vacations, yeah it's no big deal. If you fly a lot because of work, the flight being more than just tolerable becomes a real issue.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Our
As the name implies, Business is generally... people flying for work. Fuck knows that's the only way I can afford it (for free!). Surely you wouldn't demand that your employer fly you Economy if they offered you Business?
I meant paying for it.

It's more about comfort than impressing people lol

Just me. I'm perfectly comfortable in tourist, even stuff like Ryan air. So personally it's just wasteful. I'd do it if I could for someone else, but alone I'll just take touristic with a long layover so I can go explore.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our
I meant paying for it.

Just me. I'm perfectly comfortable in tourist, even stuff like Ryan air. So personally it's just wasteful. I'd do it if I could for someone else, but alone I'll just take touristic with a long layover so I can go explore.

Have you ever flown 12+ hour flights?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

yes...but it also cost an arm and a leg....

I am singaporean...i am proud of my country's airline and its reputation but the pricing is also kinda out of control....