• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
We're totally going to have a new generation of kids using "Vash The Stampede"(with a sprinkle of "Humanoid Typhoon) as their username/handle aren't we?

Last edited:

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I don't really care about what you prefer, you are welcome to your opinion. Just saying sometimes it's as simple as people making things because they want to.
Yeah I am aware. If they want to make this instead of a proper adaption, that's fine and I might even watch it.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Well now I'm fucking torn.

When this was announced I was mostly worried about the animation. Like, I figured it'd be a fairly faithful adaptation but a visual letdown. Because for all the people saying Beastars is some high watermark of CGI anime, it's still choppy, stilted, and kind of shit.

However, this... this looks really good. Probably the best I've seen for a show. The problem is they've completely redesigned an iconic and influential character for no reason and aren't actually giving us Trigun. Vash is cool, don't get me wrong, but if this is a prequel then we're not going to be getting Millie, Meryl, or Wolfwood. They're a big part of what made Trigun so great, and a show about Vash and Knives just doesn't sound like something that's going to be anywhere near as entertaining.

Like, I'll watch it, but damn I'm disappointed.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trigun anime is actually much better than the manga imo, so meh.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I'm down for a prequel. I always thought the flashback episodes were the best ones in Trigun. I'm all for the space ship and seeing the build up to July.

Not a fan of CG except for Dorohedoro but this looks legit.

Also low key glad we're getting a new VA cast. JYB was cool when I was a kid watching Trigun on Adult Swim but he's been in everything over the last 20 years and with his limited range, I tend to avoid any dubs that he plays the main in now.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I'm digging the art style. I hope this adaptations is closer to the original source material. There were numerous characters that were cutout since I believe Nightow was still working on the manga when it came out.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Rose tinted goggles for sure. I remember the movie being more consistent but its been a while.

t2o321L.jpg

In concept maybe.... the art was all over the place too. It certainly wasn't on the same level as Cowboy Bebop was at the time.
if you judge anime on still shots like this then every CGI anime is gonna look like crap

anyway, torn on this new thing. the CGI looks fine but I hate the insane camera work that permeates CGI anime . New Vash looks like a dork and if you defend the change of an iconic redesign with the awful "that iconic design was cool back then but not now!" I'm just gonna disregard your opinion entirely. I'd hate to see how you wierdos would do to iconic stuff like the spider-man costume

that said, if this is a prequel and we get to see Vash get his iconic look then I'm more than fine with it. I always found it weird that anime characters pick one hairstyle and just stick with that for the rest of their life

hopefully the cast change is japanese only and we get Johnny Yong Bosch back as Vash in the dub

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
if you judge anime on still shots like this then every CGI anime is gonna look like crap

anyway, torn on this new thing. the CGI looks fine but I hate the insane camera work that permeates CGI anime . New Vash looks like a dork and if you defend the change of an iconic redesign with the awful "that iconic design was cool back then but not now!" I'm just gonna disregard your opinion entirely. I'd hate to see how you wierdos would do to iconic stuff like the spider-man costume

that said, if this is a prequel and we get to see Vash get his iconic look then I'm more than fine with it. I always found it weird that anime characters pick one hairstyle and just stick with that for the rest of their life

hopefully the cast change is japanese only and we get Johnny Yong Bosch back as Vash in the dub
In the case of Vash, it actually made sense because Rem gave him that hairstyle. But yeah, I generally agree with your point.

I'll never understand people who think redesigns are necessary to keep up with the times (assuming there is no bigotry involved). It's a freaking anime. People aren't expecting anime characters to mimic real life. People have no problem with the goofiness of original characters.

As for people in this thread who think that because it's a prequel he'll go back to his original hair? It's very possible, but there is no indication that it would happen. They changed up his hairstyle as a kid, so it's quite clear they wanted a redesign.

Oct 27, 2017
Trigun anime is actually much better than the manga imo, so meh.
I dunno about that. The manga went in weird directions with some characters, but I like how much more it explained things. The anime seemed like it was truncated towards the end and could've used more eps

I like the animation in this, but i'm not feeling Vash's design at all. It looks waay to simple and not...dirty/gritty enough. Is this suppose to take place in the past? As in between the period of him and Knives crash landing and when the old anime takes place? I could see that being the only reason for Vash not looking as torn up

Trigun is literally the only anime I've ever liked so I'll check this out although not feeling the new design that much.
You should try more anime. If you lived Trigun you'd probably like Rurouni Kenshin

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trigun is literally the only anime I've ever liked so I'll check this out although not feeling the new design that much.

That's interesting, have you like actually made an attempt to watch a bunch of stuff, or is it just you watched a few back in the day and Trigun's the only one that stuck with you?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
That's interesting, have you like actually made an attempt to watch a bunch of stuff, or is it just you watched a few back in the day and Trigun's the only one that stuck with you?

Kind of both, I tried some other things back when this came out years ago but nothing else was interesting enough to keep me engaged. I've since tried some other things but I'll admit not a ton but again nothing much kept me engaged. Actually I take that back now that I think about it, I liked Hellsing, I completely forgot about it, so I guess I lied when I said literally lol. I really wanted to get into One Piece but I only made it about 20 episodes before I stopped caring. I'm always down for recommendations though!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of both, I tried some other things back when this came out years ago but nothing else was interesting enough to keep me engaged. I've since tried some other things but I'll admit not a ton but again nothing much kept me engaged. Actually I take that back now that I think about it, I liked Hellsing, I completely forgot about it, so I guess I lied when I said literally lol. I really wanted to get into One Piece but I only made it about 20 episodes before I stopped caring. I'm always down for recommendations though!

Give Odd Taxi a try!

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
You should watch Dorohedoro.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care one way or another about his visual redesign.

I'm worried about the lack of goofball Vash in the trailer.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I was here for it after hearing how good the studio did for other stuff in CG...

I do not like how it looks in CG, I'm out. Also no JYB seals it

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
I guess we'll have to wait longer to see Elendira The Crimson Nail, sigh.

(The 13th member of the Gunhoe Guns in the manga, a transgender woman and one of the earliest decent trans reps in manga)

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Is this going to be a full length TV series? Trailer makes it feel like a movie or OAV? Like that it'll just be about Vash and Knives and won't have Wolfgang or the badguy squad (which would make sense if this does end up being a prequel). But if it's a prequel it also feels like a movie or OAV would make more sense than a full length TV show to tell that story.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be a full length TV series? Trailer makes it feel like a movie or OAV? Like that it'll just be about Vash and Knives and won't have Wolfgang or the badguy squad (which would make sense if this does end up being a prequel). But if it's a prequel it also feels like a movie or OAV would make more sense than a full length TV show to tell that story.

Probably 12 episodes for this part

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

I'm always open for new interpretations and reinventions for any old IP, and I'm digging Vash's redesign. In general, I'm going in with this adaptation with open arms and no expectations, and will appreciate what it does right (and what it doesn't).

And it's not like the original anime or manga are going to be erased from existence when this show debuts. So if this mini-series is a turkey, then it's no harm, no foul.