• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't gone back since the 7.99 Google Music days. My wife got jelly so we upgraded to family plan. It's great value esp I can pay for it using Google Rewards credits and occasional play store gift card discounts.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was paying £18 for a few months in the U.K. through the iOS Youtube app. Turns out you can get it for £12 a month when signing up for it on desktop. iOS tax lol.

I would never go back as Youtube is my most watched app and I'm lucky enough to be in a position where £3 per week is nothing to escape the crazy amount of ads they show nowadays.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Does it work on PS4 I mostly get 5 sec skip ads, but I watch YouTube every night might be worth it....

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Had it for a couple years now, and yeah worth it for me. We watch more youtube than we do any other streaming service, and if you're going to be paying for a premium music service anyways, it really doesn't make sense NOT to since it includes play music.

That's what happens when they make the base experience miserable

Every other video streaming service contains ads or requires a sub. Not sure why the expectation should be different for Youtube.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There are still no native apps for MacOS though, right?

my kids are so used to Spotify though, it would be a tough sell here

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Every other video streaming service contains ads or requires a sub. Not sure why the expectation should be different for Youtube.
This isn't so much about ads though. That's the pitch but it's the withholding common features for the paywall that people bitch about. At least in my case.
And the end experience is still trash, even when "premium".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had it for a couple years now, and yeah worth it for me. We watch more youtube than we do any other streaming service, and if you're going to be paying for a premium music service anyways, it really doesn't make sense NOT to since it includes play music.

Shrug. I remember being able to lock my phone back in 2013/14

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They got me, specially as a heavy YouTube watcher on mobile. No ads, pop-out and background playback while multi-tasking or having your phone locked, downloads to watch the content offline without spending data, or when you are underground commuting... I can't go back. 4 month free trial is a ruse to get you used to the service so that you get sucked in and it totally worked.

Plus, now you can watch the Karate Kid sequel series, Cobra Kai. It's the best continuation of an 80's franchise I've ever seen.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yup. I'll never go back. Free music service is the cherry on top. I use it for my google home when my kid wants to listen to kid music. Keeps that stuff from messing w/ my apple music recommendations. Win-Win for both of us.

And yea, I don't like ads. And I watch/listen to way too many documentaries on YouTube to deal with that.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yt Premium is some artificial constraint bs, YtVanced serves me very well.

Bu-bu-bu my artists?

If a video is monetised they do get money regardless, so i don't really see the point of this argument, just because every billionarie company holds their beggar hand out doesn't mean we have to toss a coin

Applebois proto-supremacism is timeless

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
I watch a ton of YouTube on my TV through my Apple TV and YouTube Premium has been so helpful. I tried YouTube Music hoping it would replace Apple Music and save me an extra sub per month but it's just not there yet.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Just subscribe though Russia or India via VPN. Works out to around $3 per month which is a ok in my book.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If they had pop out on iPhone Pro I would probably give it a shot. I'd like to watch some nonsense while browsing Era.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on student discount, which considering I don't use YT Music and have never watched any originals is a solid price. I could never go back to ads on YouTube

Oct 26, 2017
Don't the ads it removes directly support the content creators on the website though? Do they still get revenue in some way?

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm in the middle of a free trial and it's just too good...i got so much utility out of it throughout the holiday season. Switching to an older, non premium account is like a bucket of ice water to the face

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So YouTube Red fucks over the creators that are responsible for YouTube's success in the first place? Christ, no wonder YouTubers are turning to sponsorships...
No. YouTube Red gives them money for every view from a paid subscriber. Idk if the math works out for them in the end, but I don't think YT red is the reason sponsorships are so popular.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, it's really the best/worst thing ever. No ads on youtube and background streaming on mobile are essentials at this point. No way in hell could I ever go back. I'm actually afraid of just how ad-heavy youtube probably is without it. Still upset with the whole move to youtube music tho from Google.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
I hate to encourage Google into nickel and diming consumers, but seriously, base YouTube is trash. I've been on a student plan, 6$ is well worth the price to get the experience YouTube should be.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I caved and subscribed after being tempted by the trial a few months back. I watch more YouTube than anything else, and at least half of it is watched on streaming devices so there isn't any way around the ads. The sheer amount of them has ramped up to such an absurd level over the last couple years that it's hard to go back.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More expensive than Netflix (which I canceled) and I'm not using chrome on mobile anymore so ads are a thing of the past. It might be good for power users but I'm not one of them.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I still haven't subscribed yet, the ads can be skipped after five seconds usually. The ads are annoying, but usually there are only one or two per 30 minute video and I've been having to cut out some subscriptions because they've been getting expensive when all added together.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The ads on YouTube are truly atrocious now. It just at the beginning but probably a couple of times spaced out throughout. Oh and then more ads after the video finishes, which jumps you out of the comment you were writing on the video. It's too much. But the cost is way way too much as well. I'm not sure why YouTube thinks they can charge several £ more than Netflix for the benefit of no ads and background playback (fuck their original shows nobody cares about). I'd pay £5/6 for no ads ad background playback. I'd pay that in a heartbeat. Not £12

Nov 2, 2017
I was close to get getting it a month or so ago since I do watch a lot of YouTube. I thought it may have been included or bundled with YouTube TV, but they have them as separate things. I'll stick to skipping typing software and soap ads

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to block ads when using the LG youtube app? Or does it have to be something like a Pihole?

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They got me, specially as a heavy YouTube watcher on mobile. No ads, pop-out and background playback while multi-tasking or having your phone locked, downloads to watch the content offline without spending data, or when you are underground commuting... I can't go back. 4 month free trial is a ruse to get you used to the service so that you get sucked in and it totally worked.
Now make sure you watch WAYNE.

Oct 25, 2017
This is me. We got it so I could download stuff for my kid when we went on a plane.
I'll never go back. The lack of commercials is just too nice for the amount of YouTube I watch (basically the only TV I consume)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I watch more Youtube than any other service, and yeah, Premium is absolutely essential for me. I went without it for a couple of months and it was terrible.

Plus I love Google Play Music.