• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

audio_delay

Oct 27, 2017
-I really dislike the map and how the whole side story stuff is handled. I either wish I could zoom out on the map further or that it'd have some list option I could use to quickly toggle between the areas of interest, cuz taking the time to wander across the whole map screen after each main story update to make sure I'm not missing anything is a pain, then you have the loading screens in and out of these super short lil scenes... Maybe it'd be better to have a, like, auto-play function for all those side story scenes or something?? Idk, just the way it's laid out currently is kinda obnoxious and overly time consuming for such short snippets.
Have you tried using the digipad? It is handy on the world map, if there are mutiple "!" points, you can switch quickly between them using the digipad.
Demo is a bit awkward, as they don't explain a lot of features. They should have included a tutorial part or juust like the project Octopath Travelers demo, the the first missions.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look like anyone responded to this, so...

they do! There's a button you can press during dialogue to bring up a portrait + short description of the character that's speaking.

This is indeed a nice feature, but I'm pretty sure everyone is talking about A portrait that is always attached to the characters speech bubbles.

OnePointZero

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look like anyone responded to this, so...

they do! There's a button you can press during dialogue to bring up a portrait + short description of the character that's speaking.
This is indeed a nice feature, but I'm pretty sure everyone is talking about A portrait that is always attached to the characters speech bubbles.
I suspect they don't do the portrait + speech bubble thing so they don't have to draw faces with expressions (normal, angry, happy...) for each character. Anyway, I would really apreciate they had them even if they don't emote.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, I found myself pressing that every time due to the number of characters in each conversation. Given that each description is literally a job title and a headshot, and that conversations can be long, it makes sense to just have that visable when someone is talking.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, we all recognize how poor Serenoa's voice performance was.

Which characters did people think had the best VA?

I'd say Sorsley Ende was my favorite despite how brief his appearances were. Frederica and Gustadolph also weren't bad.

Honorable mention to the slappin' ass and milkin' bulls duo from Ezana's scene.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Let me put on my typography nerd hat for a sec 🎩
I threw up a quick comparison, with ITC Barcelona serif font from Monotype (who appear in the "special thanks" section of the credits):

4dLtbbo.jpg

There's two main problems with Luminage:
  • General character width: d, g, n, e, u... are way to wide. t, f and i, really narrow. (the w is atrocious).
  • Too much contrast between the strokes (thin vs thick parts of each character).
I must say that for titles it's not so bad and choosing a font with a high x-height is good in this case, as you want to stay as close as possible to japanese characters, which lack ascenders and descenders (d,b,p,t,y...). That's why they are bigger using the same space. Just check "Serenoa" (a different font) in latin and japanese characters, it's around 60% smaller!

I hope there's a timeline option similar to Tactic's Ogre PSP version, so you can easily revisit scenarios.
One pet peeve of mine with budget localizations are the horribly cheap looking typefaces. Most look like the first MS Word font that tops up when using the Japanese keyboard. While this is a step up, I appreciate someone who can point out bad fonts.

OnePointZero

Oct 27, 2017
One pet peeve of mine with budget localizations are the horribly cheap looking typefaces. Most look like the first MS Word font that tops up when using the Japanese keyboard. While this is a step up, I appreciate someone who can point out bad fonts.
Even though a low cost loc can be a problem too, the main culprit here is that many japanese devs all use the same set of fonts, which come with their own latin alphabets. I definitely understand this approach, as they pay for one font license and get to use it on every version, plus no need to worry about missing characters, incompatibilities, a single supplier et al.

You can check them fonts at Mojimo (just mess with the form under the Try! Mojimo game secion), and have a laught at the CG characters while at it 😁

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't massively keen. Felt a bit boring. Long dialogue sequence of characters I don't know who they are or care at this stage. Graphically it didn't seem as strong as Octopath but felt maybe too similar in style. Battles went on too long with too many characters and reinforcements. Didn't care to keep playing beyond first battle.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I got the survey, I conveniently wrote down this afternoon my 10 gripes/changes that I'd like to see in the final game, does anybody have any specific feedback that they want me to include? I can't share them here since I wrote them in Italian and it'd take a while for me to translate them all, but it's mostly the stuff we talked about in the past pages (colours of the grid, artworks next to the text, no transparency in the text boxes, larger text), plus some QoL (option to change position after placing a unit as long as it hasn't made an action, option to quit and restart a battle without closing the game) and some personal opinions/ideas (Serenoa's performance and character are bad, some tropey lines, stuff that could improve the votings)

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My theory is that in both languages, the dialogue box is set to display at the maximum width of a single line of choice text, regardless of the length of its current contents. In this case, there's a significant difference between the maximum length of an English line and the actual length of the three lines displayed in this choice, creating the empty space at right. The disparity is lesser in the Japanese script for this particular choice, so there's less empty space.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
-For example, it's annoying that I have to move the cursor on top of a character before I can cycle through them and view their turn order, I wanna be able to just hit L/R and automatically start cycling through it if I'm not sitting on a character already.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but you can click the L or R stick to show turn orders without having to scroll. It made planing significantly easier for me.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I just got the survey and did it. I mostly explained how I'm looking forward to the gameplay and the potential of the story changing form the decisions you make. I also explained how dissatisfied I was with the voice acting such as the protagonist as well as how clunky the camera feels and how hard it can see the grid.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I hope most will do it so we're not going to have another BD2 situation where people complain about the models when it's far too late.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried using the digipad? It is handy on the world map, if there are mutiple "!" points, you can switch quickly between them using the digipad.
Demo is a bit awkward, as they don't explain a lot of features. They should have included a tutorial part or juust like the project Octopath Travelers demo, the the first missions.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by digipad? Do you mean the directional buttons, or...??
I can't remember off the top of my head, but you can click the L or R stick to show turn orders without having to scroll. It made planing significantly easier for me.
Yeah it's L3, but that can be kinda visually overwhelming when there are still a ton of enemies on screen and you still gotta wander all over the field to find the numbers. x__x
Being able to just hit L/R on an unused square of the map and automatically moving to who's next would save a lot of hassle.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Fully completed the demo just now and I can already tell this game will be a masterpiece. The strategy element, graphics, the voting system, exploration, stats and abilities are a lot of fun already and the game is still a year off. They can improve UI a bit and the game can use a bit more polish in general but they have more than enough time for this.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Just got the Survey. I had to focus on what I think were the more critical issues (the name, need for a better help menu in-game, Serenoa) because there wasn't much space to share my thoughts at all.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
One addition I desperately hope to see in the final game is a Warren Report / glossary type menu, where we can see the biographies and ages of all the cast members. FFT & TO both had this.

Assuming they bake character portraits into the dialog, then 'X' could be used to pull up the speaking person's biography. That would actually be useful.

Dreyarn

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I got my ass handed to me during the second fight (I chose "defend", and tried to not use the map gimmick), and the comments I've read over here talk about it being too easy. I'm really not great at this game, right? I guess I'll try again soon and try to play more defensively (the ice wall seems really useful, but its mages are really slow it seems.

Apart from that, I'm really liking what the game seems to offer, but it seems there are quite a few areas where some small QoL changes might help them a lot, like having to press X to view a huge popup with only a portrait and a name, or the bloom/color filter during combat making it difficult to distinguish blue/purple tiles, but I trust them to change some things around with the demo feedback process. Overall it looks quite promising, so I have at least one game to look forward to next year.

One question about the skill combos, though: the game tutorial talks about combining the ice wall with attacks from the archer girl, but how would I go about that? Do I shoot the wall itself?

OnePointZero

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I got my ass handed to me during the second fight (I chose "defend", and tried to not use the map gimmick), and the comments I've read over here talk about it being too easy. I'm really not great at this game, right? I guess I'll try again soon and try to play more defensively (the ice wall seems really useful, but its mages are really slow it seems.

Apart from that, I'm really liking what the game seems to offer, but it seems there are quite a few areas where some small QoL changes might help them a lot, like having to press X to view a huge popup with only a portrait and a name, or the bloom/color filter during combat making it difficult to distinguish blue/purple tiles, but I trust them to change some things around with the demo feedback process. Overall it looks quite promising, so I have at least one game to look forward to next year.

One question about the skill combos, though: the game tutorial talks about combining the ice wall with attacks from the archer girl, but how would I go about that? Do I shoot the wall itself?
The 2nd fight (defending the prince) took me 2h, so I wouldn't call that easy.

Yep, dunno why they call them "skill combos", they are just tactics or tips to use in battle. You don't really combine them, it's just using ice walls to block enemies, and shoot them with arrows (BTW, they can shoot you back too). There's another tip in the alternative 2n battle which states "burn some grass with a mage, and ram an enemy toward the flames".

Dreyarn

Oct 28, 2017

Yep, dunno why they call them "skill combos", they are just tactics or tips to use in battle. You don't really combine them, it's just using ice walls to block enemies, and shoot them with arrows (BTW, they can shoot you back too). There's another tip in the alternative 2n battle which states "burn some grass with a mage, and ram an enemy toward the flames".
Oh, nice to know, I thought it would be something like the "put water in that area and then cast thunder on it" from the trailer and many other games!
I guess the difficulty comments are from tactic games experts, though. I can always think that the demo has an increased difficulty to feel a bit better about my skill, though :P

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Oh I totally forgot to mention that the game seemingly doesn't have any way to see an enemy count, in a game with 3D environments and a clunky camera this is pretty bad, since enemies are often hidden by houses/columns, if you have some extra space throw it in there.

Sep 11, 2020

It took me a long time too. I'm not an SRPG expert, I think I've only played Fire Emblem: Awakening (meh) and Shadows of Valentia (much better) so far. But the game felt too slow to me, all things considered. Part of the problem may have been that, for the first battle, I didn't really know how the mechanics worked, and the second one you're on the defensive, which may have made it drag a bit too much. But even with the sped up animations (when you press R) , it still felt like the game took too much time to do stuff.

I managed to clear the map while burning only the statue in the central square, so no houses were destroyed. It didn't look like the game acknowledge my efforts in that front, but it's hard to know since you can't visit the city after the fight is over.

The part about talking to townsfolk so you can find different clues so you gather intel to influence the vote was my favorite part of the game, I'd say. If they manage to make animations and enemy turns flow faster, then great. I liked the idea of having individual turns for each unit, since it allowed you to manipulate who acts first or later by using different magic.

audio_delay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I know what you mean by digipad? Do you mean the directional buttons, or...??
Sorry pal, old habbits. Always forget that switch has directional buttons or a +Control Pad. Think digipad is not even the right term, but sound funny if you say it out load...

Oh I totally forgot to mention that the game seemingly doesn't have any way to see an enemy count, in a game with 3D environments and a clunky camera this is pretty bad, since enemies are often hidden by houses/columns, if you have some extra space throw it in there.
Now that you mention that, I think In the first map there is an enemy lurking under the bridge.
That is one thing I like about the demo and hopefully in the full game, you have two differnent clearing conditions. First map, clear the deck and in both 2nd maps defeat all enemies.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Did anyone clear the 2nd battle (defend the prince) without using a single trap? Does the game acknowledge you didn't burn anything?

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Kinda liked it for the obvious vibes, specifically the combat. The dialogue is adolescent rubbish. Can't say anything about the plot, though.

Will keep an eye out!

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Cool, thanks. I burnt the one trap in the bottom left part of the map, but... despite my best efforts to try and lure enemies in the top area, it didn't work at all lol. So the rest of the map was just me scrambling for ice walls to slow down enemies while I chipped away at them and it took me 2 goddamn hours xD

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got my survey from Nintendo about the demo.
My comments were:

-UI is a little laggy/slow
-main character voice is not good
-the colors on the grid are unclear

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks. I burnt the one trap in the bottom left part of the map, but... despite my best efforts to try and lure enemies in the top area, it didn't work at all lol. So the rest of the map was just me scrambling for ice walls to slow down enemies while I chipped away at them and it took me 2 goddamn hours xD

Haha. Yeah, it's cool that the game acknowledges your decisions to that extent.

Although it slightly undercuts the intended weight of the Roland choice IMO, considering it's meant to be 'sacrifice duty to people for duty to royalty/friend' vs 'put your demesne and its people first', but in reality you can do the latter while defending the Prince relatively easily.

Really makes a Serenoa who picks the hand-him-over option look even more the fool. They could maybe work on honing the choice a bit more in the final game. Or maybe it'll be more interesting after the point at which the demo cuts off.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Haha. Yeah, it's cool that the game acknowledges your decisions to that extent.

Although it slightly undercuts the intended weight of the Roland choice IMO, considering it's meant to be 'sacrifice duty to people for duty to royalty/friend' vs 'put your demesne and its people first', but in reality you can do the latter while defending the Prince relatively easily.

Really makes a Serenoa who picks the hand-him-over option look even more the fool. They could maybe work on honing the choice a bit more in the final game. Or maybe it'll be more interesting after the point at which the demo cuts off.
Yeah I wrote a bit about how disastrous the other choice ends up being a few posts back. I do hope it won't be too "binary" in terms of obviously wrong vs obviously right choices.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2022. They have more time for polish.

Oh ok then I'm not too worried. The Demo felt kind of rough but knowing they have that much time to work on the game makes me think it will be a lot more fleshed out. Personally I hope to see a class system in place like FFT or FE. I just think the combat will get boring after awhile if every character is locked into one role.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Know what I really didn't like about the demo?

That gawd-awful blaring horn in some of the battle music.

In general I hope they focus on improving the music quality.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Know what I really didn't like about the demo?

That gawd-awful blaring horn in some of the battle music.

In general I hope they focus on improving the music quality.
I also didn't really like the battle music, I turned it off very quickly, which is a shame because the game has some amazing tracks in the 3 hour video.