• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I really love how you can manipulate the environment. I kind of felt that something like that has been missing from something like FE. Like creating a giant ice wall to protect allies, having attacks go straight in a line, being able to push enemies back. There is a ton of room for strategy there.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I really love how you can manipulate the environment. I kind of felt that something like that has been missing from something like FE. Like creating a giant ice wall to protect allies, having attacks go straight in a line, being able to push enemies back. There is a ton of room for strategy there.

Some of your wishes are actually in Three Houses via the Battalions feature.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Game is very good looking, played through the demo - though, the never ending dialogue was a bit too much for me...

I wish this was Octopath Traveler 2 :P

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo.

Pros:
  • HD-2D Art
  • Music
  • Slick UI
Cons:
  • Some voice acting (Serenoa, Anna, etc) and lack of mixing the voice tracks with background sounds (for example, people taking near waterfall but can't hear any sounds of the water)
  • Lack of free exploration of whole areas
  • Battles take too long (probably goes with the SRPG territory I guess, but it isn't for me)
  • Story conversations should show the character profiles in the speech bubble.

This is the first SRPG I've tried, and I don't think I like this genre.

The battles take too long and it's boring. I don't care for the minutia of moving each character before selecting the moves. There are also way too many characters on the field, so it just makes things too slow. Other than that, I also dislike the structure of the game. We don't get to explore the whole town, and are only allowed to explore certain battle zones. So the structure is "Story -- Explore battle zone -- Battle". I'd like to be able to explore the world map, and town, rest at inns, talk to NPCs, etc. The story was okay so far and I don't want to judge it too harshly since we're dropped in the middle.

So I guess due to these, I won't be getting it. The genre just isn't for me. Looking forward to Octopath 2 though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finished the demo.

Pros:
  • HD-2D Art
  • Music
  • Slick UI
Cons:
  • Some voice acting (Serenoa, Anna, etc) and lack of mixing the voice tracks with background sounds (for example, people taking near waterfall but can't hear any sounds of the water)
  • Battles take too long (probably goes with the SRPG territory I guess, but it isn't for me)

The battles take too long and it's boring. I don't care for the minutia of moving each character before selecting the moves. There are also way too many characters on the field, so it just makes things too slow. Other than that, I also dislike the structure of the game. We don't get to explore the whole town, and are only allowed to explore certain battle zones. So the structure is "Story -- Explore battle zone -- Battle". I'd like to be able to explore the world map, and town, rest at inns, talk to NPCs, etc. The story was okay so far and I don't want to judge it too harshly since we're dropped in the middle.

So I guess due to these, I won't be getting it. The genre just isn't for me. Looking forward to Octopath 2 though.
Seems like you want it to be a JRPG with faster, tactical, turn-based battles, where positioning is still a thing and with a smaller party and group of enemies to me. There's tons of JRPGs like that- Trails games are the ones that get talked about the most on Era, but Arc the Lad 2/3 on PSOne is probably my favourite. That's not what SRPGs are though. The granular detail in facing, flanking, positioning, holding choke points vs overwhelming odds and punishing the enemy for grouping up because of it, thats the bread and butter of SRPGs.

I agree that the character profile should appear when someone is talking- it's so little info, literally an in-universe job description, that there's no reason to make it a button press away, not with so many characters in most discussions.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you want it to be a JRPG with faster, tactical, turn-based battles, where positioning is still a thing and with a smaller party and group of enemies to me. There's tons of JRPGs like that- Trails games are the ones that get talked about the most on Era, but Arc the Lad 2/3 on PSOne is probably my favourite. That's not what SRPGs are though. The granular detail in facing, flanking, positioning, holding choke points vs overwhelming odds and punishing the enemy for grouping up because of it, thats the bread and butter of SRPGs.
Yeah, that's what I mean this genre isn't for me. I prefer JRPGs. But I have to say the skills in this game like hawk dive, act twice, ice wall, dual spear attack, scorch, etc., were all really cool, and I was definitely getting into all of them. So I do think this game will be great for people that love the genre.

Doggg

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 17, 2017
Finished the demo.

Pros:
  • HD-2D Art
  • Music
  • Slick UI
Cons:

I haven't played a whole lot of srpgs myself, with the exception of Fire Emblem, but my impression is that even by srpg standards, the combat is a bit slow paced.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, that's what I mean this genre isn't for me. I prefer JRPGs. But I have to say the skills in this game like hawk dive, act twice, ice wall, dual spear attack, scorch, etc., were all really cool, and I was definitely getting into all of them. So I do think this game will be great for people that love the genre.
Ice Wall was really cool- I love stuff that lets you manipulate the battlefield like that. i was closing off alleyways with it, and then also opening them up again with the fire mage. That's the kind of party synergy I love to see in battles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a whole lot of srpgs myself, with the exception of Fire Emblem, but my impression is that even by srpg standards, the combat is a bit slow paced.

The main thing is the amount of unit health.

That might be something they adjust down in the final version.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The main thing is the amount of unit health.

That might be something they adjust down in the final version.
Yeah, it felt a bit off, melee units felt a bit weak. I suspect it's all been increased to show off the bonus from critical hits and hitting weaknesses from magic/arrows in proportion.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have the demo downloaded, but haven't had the chance to play yet. I'm already counting down the hours until I get home from work today so that I can play. This weekend is going to be good!

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I've just completed the vote and (I think) am about to start the second battle. So far really liking it, and I'm kinda sad we have to wait over a year haha. In terms of criticisms:

- I think the Main Story/Side Story map system is just a little clunky. It's very cool in principle but it seems to just take too long, added to the sheer amount of story cutscenes there are. I think a simple way to make it slightly better would be to have all Side Story sections of a given chapter available at the same time, and selecting Main Story would have all the story cutscenes play, not just the next one. The cycle of select Main Story, watch cutscene, back to map, select all Side Stories, then select Main Story again, then back to map, and so on until finally a battle, could definitely wear thin.

- I really like the ability descriptions, and I would like if they would do something similar for equipment and stats. I also would like if some of the random chance (e.g. Anna's ability which has a chance to put the enemy to sleep) gave explicit percentages, like hit rates do. I have no idea if "a chance" means relatively likely, say 50%, or a remote possibility, say 10%.

- Many others have mentioned the voice acting, and those points are valid, but I think part of the issue is the dialogue. For instance, one of the villain's siblings literally does an evil laugh at one point - there's no way a voice actor can make that sound not ridiculous! Related, the villains are two one-note and over-the-top evil, which I believe has been mentioned.

I would say these are all minor nitpicks, though. The artstyle is beautiful, the combat is fun and satisfying, and the voting system is a really cool concept. I also am digging the story. Can't wait for the full thing!

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm really curious to see how many scenarios the game will end up having. Based on what decision you make, the game feels like it splits into two completely different paths, so I wonder if this decision is just a major outlier and the other ones will have smaller effects (maybe only affecting a battle or two), or if there's actually a ton of possible scenarios.

It would be neat if the scenario the game places us in isn't even a fixed one.

Like, maybe if you prevent the death of that one character that the archduke uses as a pretense to invade (its implied you were there), you delay the war and the king doesn't die

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, can't wait till I can play this today after work. I'm not too concerned about the issues. Octopath improved a ton based on demo feedback, and it's the reason they're doing this. I do wonder if this will always be their way going forward with their games. Not quite Early Access, but having some demo rounds for feedback

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I also would like if some of the random chance (e.g. Anna's ability which has a chance to put the enemy to sleep) gave explicit percentages, like hit rates do. I have no idea if "a chance" means relatively likely, say 50%, or a remote possibility, say 10%.

It's not in the tooltip because it varies from enemy-to-enemy. It tells you the chance to land the ailment when you're actually targeting someone with it.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
This looks cool. Will try out the demo.

I hope Asano can get Brownies to make an HD-2D Action RPG (a Mana-like game). That has the potential to be gorgeous!

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Yeah they even mentioned it at some point that they were working on a sequel.
They might honestly have been talking about this. Not sure what the exact translation was in the interview, but the demo calls Triangle Strategy the "second game in the HD-2D series" which means Square Enix and/or Asano view it as an Ocotpath follow-up to some extent

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Finished one route from the demo.

Surprised that they will lower the difficulty for the final release, the battle after the first one might've been Abit difficult and a member can die easily if you're not careful but it seemed manageable.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
They might honestly have been talking about this. Not sure what the exact translation was in the interview, but the demo calls Triangle Strategy the "second game in the HD-2D series" which means Square Enix and/or Asano view it as an Ocotpath follow-up to some extent

It's possible. But given that it's another development studio (not Acquire), and it doesn't feature the much-celebrated Octopath composer, I'd assume an actual Octopath 2 is in concurrent development.

After all, Asano said they were going to do several projects at once, aiming for one release a year.

Also, IIRC there was a tweet after the Octopath mobile game was revealed reassuring fans of the console game that there was more to come. Or something.

Sep 9, 2020
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the development team was being assisted by the Octopath team? That would imply this is not the actual follow-up and a true sequel is being worked on as well.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Played through the first dungeon. Visuals & music are nice. I didn't hate the story (and it'll probably be better with some additional polish & having started at the beginning in the real game). My main problem was speed - given the number of characters on map at one time, there really need to be a lot of good QoL options to speed things up in the finished game.

It's kind of janky, but if you like FFT-style stuff, I picked up God Wars in a recent eshop sale & have been having fun with it. It's Japanese-mythology themed, every character can triple-class (main class, sub class, and a unique class that's permanently attached to them, plus you've got 3 slots to equip passives from any jobs), and there's an aggro stat that you can use to manipulate who enemies attack.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I just noticed about half the houses in the little town, the ones you can't go inside, don't have an actual door. Do these people climb through the window every time?

Edit: also, I think a button to see a log with the history of conversations during dialogue and cutscenes would be great, is there a place I can submit feedback to the devs?

Last edited:

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I just noticed about half the houses in the little town, the ones you can't go inside, don't have an actual door. Do these people climb through the window every time?

Edit: also, I think a button to see a log with the history of conversations during dialogue and cutscenes would be great, is there a place I can submit feedback to the devs?

They'll send a survey out in a few months looking for specific and general feedback. Just keep an eye on Twitter feeds and such.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I really struggled with the last battle, it felt impossible. I tried using those elevator things on the side but they didn't seem to work, I wonder if I was supposed to do something to activate them while exploring, anyone had the same issue?

They'll send a survey out in a few months looking for specific and general feedback. Just keep an eye on Twitter feeds and such.
Thanks, I will.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I really struggled with the last battle, it felt impossible. I tried using those elevator things on the side but they didn't seem to work, I wonder if I was supposed to do something to activate them while exploring, anyone had the same issue?

Thanks, I will.

Yeah, you had to activate it during exploration

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, you had to activate it during exploration
Oh crap. The guy I talked to said "my job is to ensure it always works perfectly", Soni figured he did his job lol

Additionally, unused the thing to go up and down the hill a couple times so I'm not sure what else I could have missed.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I started this demo last night, really enjoyed the gameplay and art. Did the first mission so far.

But holy fuck the VA is terrible. Like, sorry if this has been repeated in the thread but my god it's BAD. Especially the main character, and he's the lead.... gahhh I hope it's just for the demo and the lines will be re-recorded...

(I also had to laugh at all the not-so-subtle ASoIaF/GoT references...)

This should totally be the OT subtitle
Indeed. A good title and true.

Last edited:

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Finally finished the demo and I loved it. My criticism is essentially the same as everyone.

Also, I was thinking one soundtrack reminded me of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and damn what do you know? It's the same composer! I believe this is his very first time composing for a video game. I honestly love his style and it suits the game perfectly.

Another thing I find interesting is that Asano is actually in charge of concept and production as opposed to being the producer. This man is working hard, during the Switch era, he has produced Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2 and now in charge of concept/production for Triangle Strategy.

We also have an official confirmation of the team (Acquire I believe) that they are already working the next console game which I believe will be Octopath Traveler 2/sequel. No doubt Asano will be the producer.

I'm glad these series of AA Jrpgs are getting great success.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the demo today (would've done it yesterday but the game crashed around 30 minutes into the final battle in the demo, which was disheartening).
This time I opted not to use the fire traps at all, which made the battle more interesting. Ice Wall is OP as heck when combined with choke points, and so are your mage units and flying archer. Even with the lack of fire traps thinning out the enemy, I still wouldn't call that battle very difficult. Maybe they'll add a hard mode or the game will get more difficult in later chapters.)

What I liked:
+ The graphics give off a PS1+ era vibe; it looks nice and triggers the nostalgia for FFT and co.
+ Music was nice.
+ It's an SRPG that at least has some appearance of depth with the classes and terrain mechanics, though how well this will be fleshed out remains to be seen.

What I didn't like:
- To echo the sentiments of others, the some of the voice acting and the slice of story we saw wasn't particularly impressive.
I find it hard to believe that a centralized territory like Glenbrook could have its forces routed and capital seized so easily when, according to how the story played out from my decision, a ragtag group of people and the heir to a great house can apparently fend off an entire army that easily crushed the country's capital just a couple days prior. I guess I'm just nitpicking here but the scale just seems off to me.
- The game flow is too slow. Turns should be sped up, everything made snappier.
- The frequent loading bothered me a lot, but I have been playing a lot on my Series X lately so that just might be unrealistic expectations for a Switch, lol.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Game was enjoyable. Combat was slow, though I wonder if their increased difficulty was more that they upped the HP of characters.

Ice wall was fun to use, and very useful in the final battle especially. They'll have to make the AI smarter so that you can't just block off stairs and leave the melee units helpless to sniping. Made the final mission a lot easier, and the boss never even touched my units.

Cutscenes were exceedingly plentiful at like ten or more scenes per battle. It got to be a bit much, and I typically enjoy both. I'm also not sure why they would have a scene, then exit to the map, only for you to have nothing you can do aside from click on the same location again for the next cutscene.

Will watch for the full release.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
So here's my crack theory based on literally nothing but Asano's wonderfully dumb naming conventions: The HD-2D series is, in fact, a planned 8+ part connected story, told in a non-chronological order. The reason the title of this game felt the need to include Triangle for honestly not that much reason is because it is the third game chronologically in the HD-2D series. Octopath, naturally, is the eighth. I am ignoring the Octopath prequel mobile game because its not a console game (and also because it doesn't have a number in the title and it doesn't fit my ironclad logic).

Presumably, if my incredibly nonsensical theory is true, there'll be vague hints towards the two games sharing the same world (maybe someone name-drops the Octopath continent or something) in the full game and also the final name of the game will still feature the number 3 somehow.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
So here's my crack theory based on literally nothing but Asano's wonderfully dumb naming conventions: The HD-2D series is, in fact, a planned 8+ part connected story, told in a non-chronological order. The reason the title of this game felt the need to include Triangle for honestly not that much reason is because it is the third game chronologically in the HD-2D series. Octopath, naturally, is the eighth. I am ignoring the Octopath prequel mobile game because its not a console game (and also because it doesn't have a number in the title and it doesn't fit my ironclad logic).

Presumably, if my incredibly nonsensical theory is true, there'll be vague hints towards the two games sharing the same world (maybe someone name-drops the Octopath continent or something) in the full game and also the final name of the game will still feature the number 3 somehow.
This is now my favorite theory.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Looking forward to:
Project Dual Lingo (a choose your own adventure game).
Project Quadruple Rupees (a Bejeweled-like puzzle game).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So what your saying is that the reason it's called Bravely Default II(with no subtitle) despite the existence of Bravely Second is because it's actually part of this new meta-series?šŸ¤”

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

I buy it. Can't wait for future installments of the WTCU (Working Title Cinematic Universe)

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
So what your saying is that the reason it's called Bravely Default II(with no subtitle) despite the existence of Bravely Second is because it's actually part of this new meta-series?šŸ¤”
I feel like the Bravely series has to be separate because its not HD-2D but I'm open to different interpretations

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It has the same problem as Octopath, the characters all sort of shimmer like you're looking at them in a heat haze

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first chapter, I think I'll like this, but I hope the story really can take radical departures based on your choices throughout.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I talked to everyone in town but some persuasion paths are still locked?

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Played the first chapter, I think I'll like this, but I hope the story really can take radical departures based on your choices throughout.
Go ahead and play the second chapter (twice, if you want) and you'll get an idea. Based on that, I feel like the story changes will in fact be very drastic. Maybe the given chapter is an outlier in terms of divergence though.