• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
From what I remember of Octopath with upclocking it technically can but the battery will drain quicker than it can even charge lol
Of course, power and heat are the two biggest issues mobile platforms have. I love that there is custom firmware out there that can test these things lol.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Octopath was the best new IP in over 5 years in my opinion. I managed to put 120h on that game. I love it so much. I'm buying this one based on trailler only. I wont play the demo. Octopath already sold me on this.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Found Octopath very boring but this already seems way cooler. Only complaint is, like others have said, too much dialogue. Might be a little more sparing in the full game though.

TFJ

Aug 9, 2019
Played until the end of one of the branching paths. It's decent, I think.

I'm not a fan of FFT / Tactics Ogre type SRPGs gameplay-wise, but it seems this will be a step up from that.
My biggest gripe with the demo is that they are trading too much in terms of UI responsiveness and battlefield readability for the HD-2D visual thing.

I would gladly have simpler visuals for 60 FPS, shorter loading times and less clutter. Sometimes everything just meshes together, and the somewhat low resolution does not help. I reckon I'm in the minority though.

Another gripe is that I fear this will have substandard level design for the most part, as is usual for those FFT / Tactics Ogre type SRPGs. It doesn't help that the game already chugs quite a bit with the small levels. Big levels, with multiple fronts and side objectives, will probably not happen or be a rarity.

In any case, always to good to have new games in the genre. Will keep an eye on it.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quote this again for people that miss it.

Matsuno: It had to do with the user interface, and how the player maneuvers around the game. We insisted on keeping FFT running at 60fps while you moved the cursor and scrolled around the map. If we had dropped that to 30fps, we could have had larger maps, but the controls would have been degraded. Before CD-ROMs, 60fps was standard for all our previous ROM (cart) based developments, you see.

Sakaguchi: Serious versus FTG players know how annoying frame drops can be. When the FPS drops to 30, you'll hear them say "Ah, it dropped." We wanted to avoid that for FFT.

You can flashy pixels particle effect lens-flare all you want.
But moving cursor from above to below should not be a tedious process for player.

Attack, input lag
Choosing skill, another lag
End turn, please wait a second

Asanoooooooooooooooooooo

Oct 25, 2017
Per-action EXP gain is a trainwreck. The FFTA games fixed this, and they shouldn't go back to a broken mechanic just because that's what TO and FFT did.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Played 90 minutes so far, got to the town investigation to try and persuade people to my side of the vote. This'll be a fun game when people have figured out all the options and routes and such.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I've played through both branches available in the demo and I really like the gameplay so far. I found the difficulty to be pretty tough but I'm also not very good at SRPGs as I tend to make a lot of smaller mistakes that bite me in the ass later. The way the environment also plays into your decision making was pretty unexpected and I thought it added a fun extra layer of depth to consider. And yes the BP system is so much more fun than managing a crummy MP meter. I also like that you can explore the area that you'll be fighting in, feels like one of those things that should be present in more SRPGs.

I think the most disappointing thing about the game so far is how over-the-top the villains are. Their motives just come across really two dimensional and also isn't helped by the universal constant of obviously evil character designs.

It's especially disappointing because I find a lot of the story beats/characters really compelling that could lead to some better scenes if the villains had some more nuance. The VAs across the board are mostly fine but Serenoa is one that I'd outright say gives a poor performance. Hope they can get a redo of his lines somehow. Outside of that though I think the main party holds some amount of promise. It's hard to accurately judge from this small snippet of gameplay but I hope they really deliver.

Voting/Triangle system is a really cool idea and I hope it leads to some really interesting/significant branches in the story.

sHQi3Ty.png

i suggest this name on twitter and it got some traction so i went and mocked up the logo. couldn't find the exact font they used so i used something i thought was close enough.

EDIT: it's called Scales of Conviction.

You've got my vote!

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

But moving cursor from above to below should not be a tedious process for player.

Attack, input lag

Asanoooooooooooooooooooo

I'm not sure that 30 FPS is the cause of that. Three houses runs at 30 and the menuing is extremely snappy.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Finished both routes. Overall I enjoyed it, though I do think the battles need an option in the menu to go faster without me needing to hold the R button down and to turn off skill animations.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the feeback poll starts soon for Era to use its influence and make this potential gem to be even better!

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I wasn't getting the MC voice actor complaints, but I got to a part where his father is basically in a coma and holy shit...The guy can't emote at all.

It's gotta be placeholder. He's too bad to make it into the full game and both Nintendo and SE are pretty consistent with voice casting. They probably did quick and dirty recording sessions just for this.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I like this a lot but I feel like I should stop playing the demo because I'll eventually have to stop and start over from scratch. I'm seeing what feels like major characters die, I don't have a full context of what is going on in the conflict, and any character growth will be lost. I want to keep playing because it's pretty good, but maybe it's best to just turn it off and wait?

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I adore the original FFT, love Disgaea, and am about 100 hours into the Tactics Ogre remake on my Vita, so of course I jumped on the demo as soon as I found out about it. It seems promising so far (stuck my neck out too far and failed the 1st battle lol, need to retry later), but...the dialogue scenes feel so stunted and SLOW, and the voice acting sounds so stiff and unnatural. It's really awful and I hope I can just max the message speed and turn the VA off. Or perhaps there'll be a Japanese language track that sounds better?

I played FF Tactics Advance back in the day for a few hours and it didn't jive with me. Story + gameplay wise. I played about 15 hours of Fire Emblem on Gameboy Advance but dropped off on the story/gameplay not caring.

I do have Fire Emblem on the Switch I haven't opened. But I've toyed with the idea of FF Tactics on PS1 to give a run through. Any suggestions or are tactical RPGs just not for me? (Love FF7/FFX for story+gameplay)

FF7's gameplay seemed okay when I was playing through it, but then after playing FFT I realized just how shallow it was. Controlling only 3 characters at once? The Materia system, which basically makes all characters identical outside of Limit Breaks and stats (which can in turn be adjusted with Source items)? And of course the Summons which are essentially auto-win buttons. The game practically plays itself. But in FFT and its ilk, you actually have to think, and develop your characters! And this is why I love these games.

I like this a lot but I feel like I should stop playing the demo because I'll eventually have to stop and start over from scratch.

The full game isn't due out until next year anyway.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This game hurts my heart. But it's a good hurt. For 20 years I've waited for a proper successor to Final Fantasy Tactics and it's finally happening.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the demo. I really can't wait now. That was a blast to play through.

My only nitpick is that some of the voice work was kinda crappy.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The music in this game is so good. I really want the full game and I hope they release the OST with it.
Oh man! Just realized the the SE Cafe will probably do something for this release! I cannot wait for that too!

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Started the demo tonight and dear god it really feels like they've got something special on their hands already. And the best part is they hired Artdink who handld the PS1 ports of Matsuno's Ogre duology.

Between this, Endwalker, and XVI it's crazy how 2021/2022 are looking to be a big ol' Matsuno tribute from Square.

I'm hoping this does well and gets enough buzz encourage Square-Enix to do new re-releases of the FFT, Ogre, and Front Mission series (especially since they're going to run out of Mana and SaGa games in about 2-3 years 😆). And of course, kudos to Intelligent Systems and the indies out there who have been showing there's still an audience for this type of game.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Really liked the demo, but what's going on with the movement outside of combat!? It looks like your character is just ice skating around as you try to climb stairs or just exploring.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Really liked the demo, but what's going on with the movement outside of combat!? It looks like your character is just ice skating around as you try to climb stairs or just exploring.

Nov 15, 2018
Finished the demo. Main criticism is that the main characters VA needs to redo all his lines, which is fair as there is still a whole year or more left until release.
For the gameplay, need easier way to see drops and enemies.
I like the branching paths, allows multiple playthroughs without being repetitive.

Jun 5, 2018
I am actually interested in the gameplay however I have some reservations, it's another IP which makes all the characters new, the visuals are charming enough though I wouldn't say my favourite, and with no attachment to the series it would really have to nail the story, and gameplay to be of interest to me

Dec 5, 2017
I adored octopath, looking forward to seeing their take on a fire emblem type game. I found three houses a little too easy for my taste

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I enjoyed the demo. Like that there are objectives that progress the maps. I hope there's a ton of this for variety. My main complaint is that the graphics are eye straining and gave me a headache. Don't know how they can really change that.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
So as far as I can tell, there are three recruitable characters in the demo, depending on your dialogue choices. The doctor (Medina) seems to become accessible if you choose the last dialogue option with Hughette on the bridge (I chose the second on my first run and didn't get her). The other two are the Shaman and the Advisor. I chose to protect Rolland the first time and got the advisor, and I chose to surrender him the second time and got the shaman. Not sure if they're linked to those choices though, with the right dialogue you might be able to access either regardless of the major decision.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So as far as I can tell, there are three recruitable characters in the demo, depending on your dialogue choices. The doctor (Medina) seems to become accessible if you choose the last dialogue option with Hughette on the bridge (I chose the second on my first run and didn't get her). The other two are the Shaman and the Advisor. I chose to protect Rolland the first time and got the advisor, and I chose to surrender him the second time and got the shaman. Not sure if they're linked to those choices though, with the right dialogue you might be able to access either regardless of the major decision.

Each optional character's recruitment seems to be tied to a hidden threshold in one of the three conviction ratings: utility, morality, liberty.

It's apparently possible to recruit all 3 in a single playthrough, though I haven't done it.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Each optional character's recruitment seems to be tied to a hidden threshold in one of the three conviction ratings: utility, morality, liberty.

It's apparently possible to recruit all 3 in a single playthrough, though I haven't done it.
That seems like you'd need to have a very particular set of responses

If I had to guess, Doctor would be Morality, Advisor Utility, and Shaman Liberty?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Finished the demo, recruited the shaman after surrendering the prince and the advisor after choosing a neutral dialogue option just before the last battle in the demo.

I'm really feeling it! Hope to see many improvements whenever we get a next look.

OnePointZero

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, it's really great that we can get to play this so early, and that it already looks so polished. Maybe it's a vertical slice, but didn't expect it to be so feature complete.

My biggest gripe with the demo is that they are trading too much in terms of UI responsiveness and battlefield readability for the HD-2D visual thing.

I would gladly have simpler visuals for 60 FPS, shorter loading times and less clutter. Sometimes everything just meshes together, and the somewhat low resolution does not help. I reckon I'm in the minority though.
You're definitely not in the minority. Both "Battlefield readability" an "less clutter" are my main gripes with the demo, having played only one battle so far. All those graphical effects and filters look good on cutscenes, but hinder the gameplay, specially that black aura all chars have.

BTW, I'm the only one barely discerning the red attack tiles? I know I have a bit of color blindness (forgot the exact name, just for certain browns and greens), but have no problem with red. In the bridge zone, where all the tiles where higlighted, I only could make them appart by toogling.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there a way to work out who each portrait on the turn order each unit is without hovering over each unit? When there's 20 units on the battlefield it would be nice to be able to just scroll left and right across the turn order to figure out the next few turns easily. Maybe I'm missing something.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I protected Roland and recruited the Shaman, so there's likely some granularity there.
BTW, I'm the only one barely discerning the red attack tiles? I know I have a bit of color blindness (forgot the exact name, just for certain browns and greens), but have no problem with red. In the bridge zone, where all the tiles where higlighted, I only could make them appart by toogling.
Are you able to see the red lines that show where you are vulnerable to attack when you move? I relied on those way more than the tiles.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
developers if your going to put shitty post processing effects in your games give me the option to disable them.

its a video game not an Instagram filter

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I finished my first run, but think I'll tackle a second one to check out the changes... but I also kind of want to go the same route because I did such a bad job in my second battle. Utilized all the fires, which I want to not do, and still only won with three characters left alive.

As I expected to I really really like the game.

Serenoa is definitely not the only character with weak performances on a lot of lines. Anna is definitely almost as bad, and even some of the better ones have the occasional stiff like. The bad guy seemed like the only consistent one (his relatives were pretty terrible too, might be 3rd and 4th).

Is there a way to work out who each portrait on the turn order each unit is without hovering over each unit? When there's 20 units on the battlefield it would be nice to be able to just scroll left and right across the turn order to figure out the next few turns easily. Maybe I'm missing something.
L and R to scroll through them (it'll highlight them on the battlefield too).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the end of the first battle and really enjoyed it so far!

I thought the array of skills your characters have are pretty interesting and the battle setup was pretty interesting too. I like the BP system. The game looks great, music is good, and the character designs are fantastic.

Couple of complaints I have is that the game could feel snappier all around. Instant appearing text and faster battle options would be really nice for example. I also wasn't too into the voice acting, some characters were good but overall it felt too slow and enunciated. I want to give it a try in Japanese and see how that is.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics / Tactics Ogre successor in the same way that Octopath Traveler was a classic Final Fantasy successor!

Demo available NOW, with a survey for feedback, similar to the one for Octopath Traveler.

www.nintendo.com

TRIANGLE STRATEGY™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Three nations battle for control over the realm of Norzelia in Square Enix’s newest HD-2D adventure

Fell Seal was pretty good, but this is the FFT successor I've really been waiting for.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, the entire game soundtrack was datamined? Fuck lol

Also, I suppose this is another case of Square Enix localization policy where multi5 languages are translated directly from Japanese right? Because I've played the demo in Italian and there is a big difference from the English VO, just like FFVIIR before it. I also think it's not very good but that aside I hate reading one thing and being able to understand that a very different one is being said.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Attack, input lag

Asanoooooooooooooooooooo

Maybe I am getting old but I didnt notice any input lag ...

If for me Vandal Hearts is the best SRPG ever, will I like this game through the demo?

Try it. Only way to find out, as a fellow Vandal Hearts lover I think you will atleast like the gameplay.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm playing through it so but so far played up to the big decision.

The system to make that decision is pretty neat. I like how involved it is and opposed to just choosing it outright, the way you work through it does make you think of what you are doing. Then what you actually end up doing for one of the paths feels pretty impactful.

where now I'm like, welp guess I'm gonna burn down some fucking houses and go scorched earth, even though so far I cant get them in to the squares haha