• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but if you read all those examples, there's a lot more to it than "this region is the only place to get salt, and this one is the only place to get iron, and this is the only place to get..." honestly, I've forgotten what kingdom 3's thing is, and there's a very good reason for that. That kind of mutual interdependency means that they can't afford to ever go to war with each other unless you think you can achieve complete decisive victory in a very short period. If they wanted to get into how the holy kingdom's high taxation rate on their salt exports drove up prices across the continent and generated huge resentment, that I would be here for. But this is oversimplified to the point of being nonsensical.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is bugging me. The three powers in this game are said to be defined by their monopolistic hold over certain resources, which drives conflict (?!? but anyway). The holy kingdom's resource monopoly in this game is salt. But the good guy kingdom sits astride the continent's largest river. Rivers inevitably empty out into the ocean. Oceans are full of salt. Why don't they just... go downriver to get them some salt

Squints

(And it's because of the alliteration)
So actually getting salt from the ocean isn't always practical depending on stuff like climate or water quality. There are plenty of historical examples of countries that have access to an ocean but still need to import salt because they don't have a decent way of actually getting the salt out of the seawater

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
After sleeping on it... while i loved the artstyle in octopath, i dont like it in a tactics game. to noisy, distracting, hard to gage stuff on a glance (height, position,..)

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Just name it Diverging Tactics. Crossroad Tactics. Routesplit Tactics lol. I think it's "strategy" that sounds off because even Triangle Tactics isn't as bad.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So actually getting salt from the ocean isn't always practical depending on stuff like climate or water quality. There are plenty of historical examples of countries that have access to an ocean but still need to import salt because they don't have a decent way of actually getting the salt out of the seawater
Like I got into in another reply right above - having it be a rare resource that made all alternatives to the holy kingdom's production unfeasibly expensive would be a fine bit of worldbuilding. "All salt comes from here" is nothing.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I love the random titles from this team. Octopath Traveler was great and unique. Triangle Strategy is very straightforward and non conventional. Definitely grabs your attention. I say go with that name and just remove the Project.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like I got into in another reply right above - having it be a rare resource that made all alternatives to the holy kingdom's production unfeasibly expensive would be a fine bit of worldbuilding. "All salt comes from here" is nothing.
Wasn't really trying to comment on the execution in this game since I haven't even played the demo yet, just pointing out that having access to an ocean and having access to salt aren't always equivalent

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Just name it Diverging Tactics. Crossroad Tactics. Routesplit Tactics lol. I think it's "strategy" that sounds off because even Triangle Tactics isn't as bad.

I hope they have "Tactics" in the name so we can call SE's SRPG family the "Tactics Family" since you know Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are all under SE.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I just played a good chunk of the demo and I'm quite impressed! This is definitely a day 1 buy for me and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game. That being said, there are definitely some things they could improve on. I would like to see an auto mode for the dialogue scenes as well as a button to hide all elements of the UI to take in that beautiful art.

I see that people haven't been super impressed with the story thus far and the voice acting. Can I be honest and just say that I have given up on expecting a good story and good voice acting from a Nintendo published game. This game's story so far feels like a boring derivative of Fire Emblem Three Houses and Game of Thrones. I don't really care too much as the gameplay is the main draw for me and I imagine that it's simply too late now to make significant changes to the plot or dialogue. I've also been very vocal against Nintendo's sloppy and lazy voice acting. Why do they always hire the same cheap voice actors who literally do the same boring generic American accents everytime? I would rather just turn off the voice acting altogether.

I recall Fire Emblem Three Houses was praised a lot for its story.

That's a game published by Nintendo.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So far the gameplay is nice but the presentation could use a major overhaul. It's so painfully generic (the villain calls someone a whelp, was this written by an AI?). BD and OT were pretty quirky in their characters and dialogue but this is and I expect a lot more from TS.

Even the gameplay feels kinda generic; Bravely Default and Octopath were interesting spins on the existing genre while Triangle is playing it pretty straight as a genre game.

Oct 27, 2017

Criticism isn't a bad thing.

They are not going to change the script or voice acting tho, those budgets have been spent. They will balance the game, add UI/quality of life elements, improve performance and change the Western name and yeah that's for the better (apart from the name change ofc!) but bemoaning the plot, script and voice acting is pointless.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
How about House War Tactics?

I recall Fire Emblem Three Houses was praised a lot for its story.

That's a game published by Nintendo.

Some people will call anything short of a Shakespearean classic trash. Plenty of games with good stories, Nintendo published or otherwise. Plus, this is literally a demo that starts in chapter 6 of the full game, so commenting too much on the quality of the story is probably preemptive.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it's going to be a harder sell, at least Octopath tapped into a huge history of games to inspire from. In the realm of SRPG, there really only is FFT and Tactics Ogre doing something similar and they are some of the best stories in gaming and I doubt they're going to match it, let alone exceed it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
FFT and TO are the gold standard and have yet to be topped in their genre in my opinion

It's really a shame how few people have played Berwick Saga, since it's right up there in its telling of an incisively thematic narrative.

And it just happens to have some of, if not the, best tactical gameplay of all time.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
They are not going to change the script or voice acting tho, those budgets have been spent. They will balance the game, add UI/quality of life elements, improve performance and change the Western name and yeah that's for the better (apart from the name change ofc!) but bemoaning the plot, script and voice acting is pointless.
I wouldn't say there's no point to critiquing and providing feedback on plot, script and voice acting as there's still things that can be clarified or altered but people probably shouldn't expect major changes in that regard.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure it's the voice acting itself that's the problem so much as really really bad (or unfinished) mixing on it. It's like those Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers that sounded so much worse than the actual game. When the mix isn't really finalized sometimes the voice is super clean and feels like it's just placed on top of everything else, which immediately sounds cheap and fake.

edit: Okay never mind, Serenoa is actually terrible. Replace that guy.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's really a shame how few people have played Berwick Saga, since it's right up there in its telling of an incisively thematic narrative.

And it just happens to have some of, if not the, best tactical gameplay of all time.

Looks a lot like Fire Emblem

I suppose FFT and Fire Emblem are technically the same genre. I feel like there needs to be some way to identify the sub genres as Valkyria Chronicles, Advance Wars, Brigandine, Fire Emblem are all different enough in my mind to be hard to compare to one another

When I think of FFT and TO I typically only recall more of the directly comparable series like Disgaea, Banner Saga, etc...

It's neither here nor there

Thanks for the share of Berwick Saga. Didn't even know about this one. It looks like it was Fan Localized so did we never get it here?

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it's going to be a harder sell, at least Octopath tapped into a huge history of games to inspire from. In the realm of SRPG, there really only is FFT and Tactics Ogre doing something similar and they are some of the best stories in gaming and I doubt they're going to match it, let alone exceed it.

I don't even want them to match it.

I know it's different but is a story written like the first Front Mission ( which isn't the best one in the series) too much to ask.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Really loving the battle system. Aside from a bit confusing visual with all the colors and effects all the mechanics and knowing who's range you are in and such is super helpful and I love the skills. Really aced it with the battles.

The writing i find totally fine the only weird part is being dropped in the middle. Voice acting can use some work but it's also just weird having no investment.

I do love how the demo gives you great access to skills and if you die you keep your progress in terms of level up and skills

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Seems like you can recruit different characters in the demo? That's dope. I thought everyone could only get Shaman but there seems to be another character who I thought was Tressa from Octopath lol

ygbz5c8vm5i61.png

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say there's no point to critiquing and providing feedback on plot, script and voice acting as there's still things that can be clarified or altered but people probably shouldn't expect major changes in that regard.

As an example of this, the first BD2 trailer totally restructured the chapter, including voice work that doesn't possibly match the final game. Everything in this demo is just a draft for a game that is a year out and rewrites and rerecords are totally within the scope of what the Team Asano demo have done.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the share of Berwick Saga. Didn't even know about this one. It looks like it was Fan Localized so did we never get it here?

That's right. It wasn't localized, but its fan translation is excellent -- absolutely professional quality.

It was made by the creator of Fire Emblem who departed Intelligent Systems after FE5. Mechanically, it's similar enough to Fire Emblem at a glance, but it's very distinct in practice.

Highly recommend. 👍

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Need the profile on screen having to press a button feel odd when it clear they done the art work why not show it off?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
How many battles are in the demo?

I finished the first battle and it was pretty lengthy. And I am going through cutscenes (I think I even unlocked an optional character?). Feels like a meaty demo.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
So, tried my first SRPG coz why not. The first battle took me around 1 hour to complete. Yeah...

The art-style is great as usual (love that 2D-HD look). The voice acting from some characters was flat/poor. The music was nice. The combat I'm still getting my head around, but the movement component just slows down things too much. Still, the skills are nice and it can be fun to trap enemies between two characters to deal double attacks. The world map looks poor, and also looks blurry. The story seems shallow, so far. The cutscenes with fancy attacks are cool.

I stopped after that first battle, so lets see how it progresses.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
If this has something similar to the FFT job system where you can switch jobs to level up and learn different things for different characters, I'm 100% in. I'm interested even if it doesn't have that though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looks great, by far the highlight of the Direct. I hope they do not use the same splintered story technique as Octopath.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finished the second battle (after refusing to hand over the prince). That was really good... I do like a decent siege battle.
I like Anna, the spy class. Her ability to hide and take a second action meant that as my firce was retreating, she was in amongst the enemy hunting their mage. That felt really good, as did the Ice mage blocking off paths to create choke points that the fire mage then hit with AOE magic, having been buffed by the scholar.
Really, really liking the battles here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There was a green side mission on the world map before I started the first story mission and it's gone afterwards. Did I miss that?

Also, no job class system is weird. I haven't played a ton of these types of games but the charm for me has always been building out my army is weird ways. A SRGP that lets you break it open through its job system like Bravely Default would be amazing.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
This makes Bravely Default 2's art style look even worse in direct comparison.

Also, why don't developers learn ANYTHING when it comes to basics like font size and legibility? It's like 90% of all Switch games are still developed without even considering the Switch as a handheld device for one second.

Good luck reading this in handheld mode:

620072-Project-Triangle-Strategy-Nintendo-Switch.jpg

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the second battle and I'm really enjoying this. I've tried so many damn SRPGs since FF Tactics, and while I've enjoyed some of them, none have come this close to replicating that feeling of "little people on charming dioramas doing big-ass lightshow spells".

I also like that they've gone with very specialized roles for each of the characters, larger party sizes, and environmental attacks.

The voting segment was also a pretty interesting framing for a major decision point in the game. Having to argue with your party members, and getting their individual opinions on why they're for/against something, really adds something to their character.

If this has something similar to the FFT job system where you can switch jobs to level up and learn different things for different characters, I'm 100% in. I'm interested even if it doesn't have that though.

That would put this way over the top for me, and it does kinda seem like the character screen has a space under the character's class for another slot.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Also, why don't developers learn ANYTHING when it comes to basics like font size and legibility? It's like 90% of all Switch games are still developed without even considering the Switch as a handheld device for one second.

I am playing the demo on Switch light and I haven't had any issues. But I'm blessed with good vision. I think for demo feedback we should ask for text accessibility options.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, hoping the next ones take less time as I learn more.
There is definitely a learning curve. And even with people who have played a lot. Sometimes in a battle of you miss a key strategy or don't fill understand what everyone can do. Battles take longer than If you know just how to use them.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Well to be fair, 90% of Switch games are made for multi-plat, including this one probably, although this is an issue across all platforms for the most part.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How many battles are in the demo?

I finished the first battle and it was pretty lengthy. And I am going through cutscenes (I think I even unlocked an optional character?). Feels like a meaty demo.

Intro battle, then 1 battle for each of the 2 routes. Meaning 3 battles total in the demo.

Seems like you can recruit different characters in the demo? That's dope. I thought everyone could only get Shaman but there seems to be another character who I thought was Tressa from Octopath lol

ygbz5c8vm5i61.png

I think the recruitments must be tied to Serenoa's choices? There seems to be a hidden meter tracking your Liberty / Morality / Utility decisions, sort of like Chaos Frame in the Ogre games.

I recruited Medina first before the route split, then actually didn't recruit the "Shaman" on either route (and I'm pretty positive I did all the side stories). Instead, I got no second recruit on the "bad" route, and on the "good" route I got this guy, who's a buffer similar to Benedict:

image0.jpg