• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo, I'm so in.
SRPG combat is already much deeper than Octopath.
Also a big fan of the civil war conflict angle, also more interesting than octopath.
2022 is a long wait.

deanna_beanna

Prophet of Truth
May 19, 2019
Maybe it's my eyes but it's a strain to read in docked mode. Font color and text background don't work for me

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It's just kind of generic. Also Roland being Johnny Yong Bosch at his Johnny Yong Boschiest.

(And I like Johnny Yong Bosch)

It does feel generic. That could also be because we don't really know the context. But I also think it's feigned loftiness is lame. And the biggest issue is that from one line to the next the dialogue feels as if each speaker is completely disconnected from the other and whatever events are happening. It feels very unnatural and stifled.

I don't know how these dialogues are usually recorded, but it is painfully obvious that each line is recorded completely devoid of context and interaction.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's remarkable that the name of the game isn't the dumbest name in the game.

Glances at big bad's terrible portmanteau name

Anyway, bear minimum, I'm going to be calling it Triangle Tactics, because that just rolls off the tongue so much better that I'd forget it's not called that anyway.

This is where I'm at. They're shooting for world with real conflict, history, and motivations. When they miss, it's very noticeable.

Besides, most FEs are at least kitschy in a charming way.

This is actually specified in the opening, we pick up early in the middle part of the game.

Yeah a few people clarified that for me (will play the demo this evening). I imagine the story the demo shows will have more impact when we see the 3-4 hours of set up to those moments as opposed to being dropped in the middle of the conflict.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a few people clarified that for me (will play the demo this evening). I imagine the story the demo shows will have more impact when we see the 3-4 hours of set up to those moments as opposed to being dropped in the middle of the conflict.
Maybe, but I don't think it's gonna fix my issues with the setting, bare minimum.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's still the funniest thing that Matsuno has now given us breaking news on Twitter twice in his efforts to clarify 'nah-uh, this isn't me'.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is bugging me. The three powers in this game are said to be defined by their monopolistic hold over certain resources, which drives conflict (?!? but anyway). The holy kingdom's resource monopoly in this game is salt. But the good guy kingdom sits astride the continent's largest river. Rivers inevitably empty out into the ocean. Oceans are full of salt. Why don't they just... go downriver to get them some salt

What? I have no idea what you're talking about! Hahahaha ... ha ...ha

Hail Hydra, but just as a disguise, like Cap in Endgame.
Saltiron Strategy kinda works for me if that's the final name they go with. I dunno why it clicks so much better then Triangle Strategy but it just does

hail hydra

Squints

(And it's because of the alliteration)

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez this thread. I'm just happy this exists and I couldn't care less about the title, in fact I hope they keep it.

I have zero problems with the story or voice acting either and I would not expect any changes there; I dunno if this is just peoples expectation being too high or not realizing where the bar is on SRPGs (or in videogames in general). The systems are also missing from the demo so we can't preempt that aspect IMO. Just let it be it's own thing not a TO/FFT clone.

Also people who don't like SRPGs, or the BD team style thanks for dropping by and letting us know...

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Okay this is bugging me. The three powers in this game are said to be defined by their monopolistic hold over certain resources, which drives conflict (?!? but anyway). The holy kingdom's resource monopoly in this game is salt. But the good guy kingdom sits astride the continent's largest river. Rivers inevitably empty out into the ocean. Oceans are full of salt. Why don't they just... go downriver to get them some salt

Squints

Maybe the world of the game doesn't have salt-water oceans and this desert kingdom is literally the only source?

I'll be honest, the alliteration of Skyward Sword as SS always bugged me wrong, speaking as a german guy.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Saltiron Strategy and Triad Tactics are way better names than the current one (and I'm not too fond of Serenoa for the MCs name). How does the feedback survey works, will I receive it via email??

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the world of the game doesn't have salt-water oceans and this desert kingdom is literally the only source?

I'll be honest, the alliteration of Skyward Sword as SS always bugged me wrong, speaking as a german guy.
Then say so, or at least fill in the rest of the map. This fait accompli worldbuilding is always annoying. Gimme a reason why things are the way they are.

And fair enough on the acronym.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

Squints

It makes no sense, medieval salt wasnt mined as much aside from easy to access rock salt deposits because it got dirt into the salt with no easy way to remove it. They boiled off seawater to get salt more commonly than mined it.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Just jumped in to say the title of this game should be the subtitle to a Leisure Suit Larry game.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the good guy kingdom sits astride the continent's largest river. Rivers inevitably empty out into the ocean. Oceans are full of salt. Why don't they just... go downriver to get them some salt

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm, hard to say on the Internet lol

Question for those who played the demo, is it a job based strategy game or does every character just have their own abilities that don't change.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
How about... The Three Body Problem.

Question for those who played the demo, is it a job based strategy game or does every character just have their own abilities that don't change.
As of now, it's the latter, but Octopath didn't give us the job system in the demo either.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I feel this game's voice acting is a huge step down in comparison with Octopath Traveller (this can be explained by the pandemic, maybe? I don't know). I really disliked it.
Otherwise I am loving this demo. Just finished my second battle and I am sold already.

I didn't turnover the prince to Aesfrost and chose to not burn the town during the battle

This battle took like forever. I liked it very much as the battle played out more difficult (on my conscience or the battle itself) due to my decisions during the story bits.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

The characters have classes, these are shown in their status screens and everywhere. But if there's a class change or promotion system, that's still unkown.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It makes no sense, medieval salt wasnt mined because it got dirt into the salt with no easy way to remove it. They boiled off seawater to get salt more commonly than mined it.
The holy kingdom apparently gets theirs from the lake in the middle of their big city, to which I have to ask, where the hell do they get their drinking water? They're in the desert.

No, I actually am that pedantic.

(But seriously though the worldbuilding is very shallow and it does annoy me)

And not sure. The characters have classes, but it's not clear if you can switch them or not in the full game.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this demo.

You have to actually use your support units!!!
Beautiful artstyle and character designs.

Interesting unit commands and the battles were fun and tense.

Yeah, I'm getting this one!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The story has serious potential IMO. Where it's seemingly tripping up is the simplistic world-building (small world map, three countries each with 1 resource, lack of historical depth, etc.), but that might be causing people to overlook what's there: the abundance of side stories giving constant perspective from a variety of political actors.

The former issue might jar some people expecting TO/FFT, with their wealth of such macro world-building, but it also might not hinder what this game is going for, which seems to be centered around the story branching from these voting sessions. In short, it seems like it could be taking an Octopath-like approach: eschewing the world-building's macro depth for micro depth. But we'll see.

Having played one path (handing the prince over), and started the second, this is no small divergence: completely different events follow, with different battles (which are way tougher than the intro battle), and different recruits. In fact, it makes me really curious the scale of this game, and how it's going to handle all these divergences. This first one occurs at about the point that Tactics Ogre's first one occurred at Balmamusa (this demo is picking up at Chapter VI, and the choice is Chapter VII), so I wonder how many there'll be.

If the game can continue building on the various perspectives and side stories, it could be really special. But then, I really enjoyed Octopath's storytelling as well, for the most part. :P

All that aside, while one may or may not think the writing is up to the snuff of its inspirations (to me it's clearly drawing from GoT more than anything, down to the same verbiage and paralleling events), the actual gameplay -- the combat -- already handily beats the depth offered by FFT/TO. There's so many more options to manipulate the field of battle, and the ability to explore maps before battle is a really cool feature that felt lacking in the aforementioned games.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Then say so, or at least fill in the rest of the map. This fait accompli worldbuilding is always annoying. Gimme a reason why things are the way they are.

And fair enough on the acronym.

It's a fantasy world with magic, maybe the oceans are made out of green tea and have no salt in them. Applying real world logic to a fantasy setting is a fools errand. Salt is scarce in this world and the narrative tells us this up front.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantasy world with magic, maybe the oceans are made out of green tea and have no salt in them. Applying real world logic to a fantasy setting is a fools errand. Salt is scarce in this world and the narrative tells us this up front.
See, I get this answer for some things, but if you want to found your world's history and conflict on something so mundane as material resources, you should probably... make sure that it tracks, no?

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with Triangulum Tactics. Barely had a chance to do much in the demo, but man did I forget how much I loved this graphic art style!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
See, I get this answer for some things, but if you want to found your world's history and conflict on something so mundane as material resources, you should probably... make sure that it tracks, no?

Should have just called it unobtainium and hardtofindium then the narrative would be perfect

/s

I do get your frustrations, and hopefully some of them will be ironed (heh) out before the final release.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I love the look and a srpg is good. Gotta give it a try (this was for sure my favorite thing from the direct by a country mile)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Should have just called it unobtainium and hardtofindium then the narrative would be perfect

/s

I do get your frustrations, and hopefully some of them will be ironed (heh) out before the final release.
See, if you wanted to do the three-nations resource-monopoly conflict, you can totally do that, and yeah, making it weird fantasy resources would be a better way to do that. You go in depth and explain why each resource is important, explain how the availability and uses of each one has shaped the culture of each place and how it's lead to this uneasy equilibrium. Just... moar worldbuilding

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Did the story recognize that you didn't burn anything?

Yes. There are quotes from your party right after the victory screen acknowledging this and the characters mentions it sometimes in the story phases after it.
I really don't know if it impacts heavily on the story unfolding because I don't know what happens if you burn it, though.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I will join the chorus of negativity about the MC's VA. Because dude. Emote. Please. Your voice is fine, but you gotta actually act. Some of these scenes are brought down by him having no emotion in emotional situations.

It's always odd to me when a game's MC has the weakest VA -- like, how does that even happen? Where are the casting/voice directors' priorities?

Only other VA I thought was noticeably weak was the First Spear dude in the beginning.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
No jobs system hurts my soul. I mean, don't get me wrong, the rest of it seems pretty great, but I want a Bravely Default-level broken-ass broken job system of brokenness to break things with applied to an SRPG.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
No jobs system hurts my soul. I mean, don't get me wrong, the rest of it seems pretty great, but I want a Bravely Default-level broken-ass broken job system of brokenness to break things with applied to an SRPG.

It's possible there will be one. Octopath's demos didn't reveal its job system either; we only knew it existed because of the trailers.

In Triangle Strategy's demo, we can't access any of the encampment amenities, or so much as change our party's equipment. So we have a pretty limited idea of what'll be available.

That said, I actually think all the roster having individualized movesets is really cool so far.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
why do Square Enix games have such wildly different voice acting quality?

for every Dragon Quest 11 and Nier you get this and Trials of mana even Final Fantasy games are inconsistent

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible there will be one. Octopath's demos didn't reveal its job system either; we only knew it existed because of the trailers.

In Triangle Strategy's demo, we can't access any of the encampment amenities, or so much as change our party's equipment. So we have a pretty limited idea of what'll be available.

That said, I actually think all the roster having individualized movesets is really cool so far.
It helps that the movesets themselves are excellent. There's so many really excellent tools to play around with, and I fear what would happen if you could do something like learn a high-damage skill in one job and move over the Spy class and get an extra action... 😂😂😂

But that would be dope! So maybe they should just let us break the game wide open.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It helps that the movesets themselves are excellent. There's so many really excellent tools to play around with, and I fear what would happen if you could do something like learn a high-damage skill in one job and move over the Spy class and get an extra action... 😂😂😂

But that would be dope! So maybe they should just let us break the game wide open.

I'm kind of tired of FFT-likes just breaking the game wide open so I want something straightforward like the demo. You get your characters movesets and they're all unique and that's it for progression on that front. Maybe you get cool weapons.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of tired of FFT-likes just breaking the game wide open. I kind of want something straightforward like the demo.
Ah, fair enough. Theorycrafting is certainly fun, but a more focused, balanced, potentially challenging experience has its own appeal. I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area

I do like the idea of units having individual movesets to be pretty cool in its own right as well. I'll probably love the shit out of this game, and honestly it will probably be way more balanced when you have a fixed pool of movesets to pick from rather than OP synergistic monsters a job system would inevitably result in.

But I like being an OP synergistic monster too.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, fair enough. Theorycrafting is certainly fun, but a more focused, balanced, potentially challenging experience has its own appeal. I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

The thing is that I actually want to play the maps. The scenarios here are great and really involved. I'd hate to just ignore all that in favor of my couple monster units that kill everything for nothing for me to think about. It's pretty much the main reason I don't hold FFT or TO in as high regard as others.

Also the aggro indicators are so helpful for actually moving units around.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that I actually want to play the maps. The scenarios here are great and really involved. I'd hate to just ignore all that in favor of my couple monster units that kill everything for nothing for me to think about. It's pretty much the main reason I don't hold FFT or TO in as high regard as others.

Also the aggro indicators are so helpful for actually moving units around.
Yeah, that's a great QoL indicator. So much nicer than having to go around turning on range indicators or whatever on each unit.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's a great QoL indicator. So much nicer than having to go around turning on range indicators or whatever on each unit.

In general, the game takes a lot of good ideas from a lot of SRPGs (and Divinity OS lol), even the shoving enemy units into disadvantageous positions reminds me of Into the Breach in a way.

In general, a lot of these features that would feel less impactful in many srpgs as side mechanics feel actually meaningful here which is really impressive. Even the flame shield was useful as something to put on an ally to get free damage when directly fighting wasn't possible instead of just lowering fire damage.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez this thread. I'm just happy this exists and I couldn't care less about the title, in fact I hope they keep it.

I have zero problems with the story or voice acting either and I would not expect any changes there; I dunno if this is just peoples expectation being too high or not realizing where the bar is on SRPGs (or in videogames in general). The systems are also missing from the demo so we can't preempt that aspect IMO. Just let it be it's own thing not a TO/FFT clone.

Also people who don't like SRPGs, or the BD team style thanks for dropping by and letting us know...

Criticism isn't a bad thing.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the demo. Some neat mechanics in the battles, and the voting system has a lot of potential if done right. English dub is kind of horrible, and I wish this wasn't a secton of the middle(?) of the game, kind of felt spoilery and confusing as an experience.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the variety on display in just the starting roster is great. Having the ability to change/combine jobs would make for a just as insane and unbalanceable experience as FFT, which... honestly, while FFT is fun, I could do with some actual tactical depth to my tactics games.

Tactics Ogre, on the other hand, while I prefer it in many ways, had an absolutely terrible job system -- both in acquisition and balancing. Its gameplay would legitimately be 10x better if characters had individualized movesets like Triangle Strategy's seem to.