• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 3, 2017
I just played a good chunk of the demo and I'm quite impressed! This is definitely a day 1 buy for me and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game. That being said, there are definitely some things they could improve on. I would like to see an auto mode for the dialogue scenes as well as a button to hide all elements of the UI to take in that beautiful art.

I see that people haven't been super impressed with the story thus far and the voice acting. Can I be honest and just say that I have given up on expecting a good story and good voice acting from a Nintendo published game. This game's story so far feels like a boring derivative of Fire Emblem Three Houses and Game of Thrones. I don't really care too much as the gameplay is the main draw for me and I imagine that it's simply too late now to make significant changes to the plot or dialogue. I've also been very vocal against Nintendo's sloppy and lazy voice acting. Why do they always hire the same cheap voice actors who literally do the same boring generic American accents everytime? I would rather just turn off the voice acting altogether.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I love FE and agree the plot/scenario writing hasn't been great for a long time. I think in this case though, comparisons to FFT/Tactics Ogre are going to be far more likely than FE given the developer, mechanics around height and positioning, isometric style etc.

Yeah I totally get that, though I also think its super unfair to compare most video game writing to Matsuno's work. In my opinion he has something truly special and a sensibility for it all that most video game writers just cant match. (Though the team at Quest hit Ogre Battle 64 out of the park I think so its not like he is the only one and their are plenty of other greatly written games) It's just such a high bar.

If they can really nail the game play a decent story will be more than fine.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
played the demo, walked away feeling indifferent. I like the concept but I think the dialogue could be better

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not FE inspired though. It's inspired by FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre, which are extremely well written.

FFT and TO are the gold standard and have yet to be topped in their genre in my opinion

This is looking to make an honest attempt to give us something new. After Octopath I don't know if they have the goods to deliver a complete package that challenges the Kings but hot damn am I excited to see them try.

A very solid looking game and effort from top to bottom based on the trailer. Lots of experimentation and interesting mechanics in both story and gameplay

I am weary of them attempting "multiple story" paths again. This was kind of their achilles heel with Octopath and honestly is very hard to do well for ANY developer.

We will have to see how well the quality of the storytelling and characters hold up over multiple branching paths. At least the progression through the paths themselves is linear unlike Octopath

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the demo isn't the opening of the game, but skipped ahead to get to the open conflict part of the narrative. I have a hard time imagining in the final game you'll get the option for a route spit after the first battle.
It's mission ~7 and 8 of the final game. They tell you when starting it up, so I guess it's probably about 30% in?

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I remember Octopath dropping and it being mixed here.. Mostly because of the story. But I LOVED it. Put over 100 hours in getting the best stuff and real ending. This and Mario Golf were the highlights yesterday for me. Can't wait to play the demo.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I do think though, just the fact of making a branching story, by default can make things more interesting and better.

It's one thing to have DQ or Golden Sun where someone asks you a question and makes you pick an answer and they do whatever the hell anyways. If you are asked a question and your decision matters, if your choice changes the story and direction, by default it makes the game go different places creatively and not get stuck in their one singular small vision of a story. So if they make the game branch out it has to inspire some kind of creativity and feel of agency in the player.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if the demo isn't the opening of the game, but skipped ahead to get to the open conflict part of the narrative. I have a hard time imagining in the final game you'll get the option for a route spit after the first battle.
This is stated explicitly at the start of the demo

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I do think though, just the fact of making a branching story, by default can make things more interesting and better.

It's one thing to have DQ or Golden Sun where someone asks you a question and makes you pick an answer and they do whatever the hell anyways. If you are asked a question and your decision matters, if your choice changes the story and direction, by default it makes the game go different places creatively and not get stuck in their one singular small vision of a story. So if they make the game branch out it has to inspire some kind of creativity and feel of agency in the player.
At the same time, branching stories in SRPGs always scare me a little. I feel like a game hasn't justified doing it in like 20 years (in the sense that every one I play that pulls that card would be better if it didn't).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
At the same time, branching stories in SRPGs always scare me a little. I feel like a game hasn't justified doing it in like 20 years.

Could be super easy to screw up, but if done decently could elevate the game. It's a much more exciting prospect to me to have a game I can play multiple times and have different experiences those times. Hopefully they really go for it and the game ends up dramatically different how you chose.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Wow there is A LOT of story going on for a demo dropping you in at chapter 6.

A lot of interesting stuff going on in the combat, though.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else have trouble with moving a character and waiting?

Move > Press A > Select Attack > Nothing in Range > Have to Cancel Movement > Reselect Movement > Press X Instead

I must have done that 30 times on the first stage. Maybe it should pop up a context menu when you move and let you select Wait, Attack, etc?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just played a good chunk of the demo and I'm quite impressed! This is definitely a day 1 buy for me and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game. That being said, there are definitely some things they could improve on. I would like to see an auto mode for the dialogue scenes as well as a button to hide all elements of the UI to take in that beautiful art.

I see that people haven't been super impressed with the story thus far and the voice acting. Can I be honest and just say that I have given up on expecting a good story and good voice acting from a Nintendo published game. This game's story so far feels like a boring derivative of Fire Emblem Three Houses and Game of Thrones. I don't really care too much as the gameplay is the main draw for me and I imagine that it's simply too late now to make significant changes to the plot or dialogue. I've also been very vocal against Nintendo's sloppy and lazy voice acting. Why do they always hire the same cheap voice actors who literally do the same boring generic American accents everytime? I would rather just turn off the voice acting altogether.

This has nothing to do with Nintendo in terms of the story/VA. Square would be the ones who localized and dubbed the game.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to see the voice acting and writing is almost universally disliked. I hope they get the message and make some changes.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That second fight was amazing! I felt so smart being able to pull every enemy to a trap zone using ice wall to delay and group them together, and then lighting them all on fire was so satisfying! Really impressed with the game. Can't wait for the full release.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I really don't think the story is as bad as people are making it out to be, its not great, but its not bad either, just kind of middling, and we missed a bunch of context going into the demo, so I hardly think its fair to judge it.

Out of curiosity I played Chapter VII after doing both choices, and the story changes a significant amount, enough to the point that I am wondering how many different things can possibly happen, the two chapters were not remotely similar.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they go HARD with the branching paths, like gimme multiple straight up unique paths. I thought the writing was pretty bad too, but a lot of playthrough variety and player choice could still keep me interested.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I'm loving this demo, despite getting my ass handed to me on my first go through! Looks great, plays great!

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
This game was quite possibly the highlight of the Direct for me. I'm very happy to hear that it seems to be playing well from those who are playing the demo. And I love that SE has decided to continue using the graphical style they developed for Octopath Traveler.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have FFT for the PSP lying around... Finished the demo right now, and I'm feeling like giving it a shot after playing this.

Seriously, this HD-2D style is just awesome, love how it looks, hope some remakes of old games could take advantage of this.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's remarkable that the name of the game isn't the dumbest name in the game.

Glances at big bad's terrible portmanteau name

Anyway, bear minimum, I'm going to be calling it Triangle Tactics, because that just rolls off the tongue so much better that I'd forget it's not called that anyway.
It's interesting hearing people talk about writing and story, in a world where Fire Emblem is popular and I've always found the series to have spectacularly bad writing and story. So far the demo seems great. I love the art and little touches like being able to see a picture and little bit about who a person talking is, is pretty cool.
They're going for a very specific vibe and not executing on it adequately, so it sticks out.
This is where I'm at. They're shooting for world with real conflict, history, and motivations. When they miss, it's very noticeable.

Besides, most FEs are at least kitschy in a charming way.
This is actually specified in the opening, we pick up early in the middle part of the game.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have trouble with moving a character and waiting?

Move > Press A > Select Attack > Nothing in Range > Have to Cancel Movement > Reselect Movement > Press X Instead

I must have done that 30 times on the first stage. Maybe it should pop up a context menu when you move and let you select Wait, Attack, etc?

Me ! I was wondering if I was doing something wrong lol. Hopefully it will be fixed when the game releases.