• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Support!
Unlike standard JRPG, you would spend most of the time in combat for a SRPG, so I will barely mind if the story ended up as tragic as Octopath.
Mario+Rabbids has essentially no story at all and it's still good.
Not having much story and having a bad story are very different. Think Fire Emblem Fates.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Wait, you got a shaman? I ended up with some lame apothecary. Haven't done the battle yet, so maybe she's not as terrible as she seems, but just looking at her skills and stats... yeah, she seems pretty useless.

I'm also kinda curious what happens if you choose to surrender the prince. Has anyone done that? I have a save from before the vote I can load if I need to... Presumably there's still another battle, yes? Does the duchy just backstab you out of malice?
Interesting I assumed that I got the shaman because I chose to save the prince, but it must have been from a different question I answered since you got someone else.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing to come out of this direct

This, but I would even say that this is my favourite announcement from a third party for the entire Switch library

I LOVE the HD2D aesthetic, I LOVE srpg, this is a dream come true, as a possible FF tactics spiritual successor

Demo Is already great too, especially considering how this is a 2022 title

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Messed around with this a bit. Got through the first battle. The aesthetic is gorgeous (not just the graphics, the character design is aces), the gameplay is fun, and the writing is... well, it's bad. It's not Fates, but it's not good. The worldbuilding strikes me as incredibly shallow, the "political" conflict, doubly so.

The core conceit - that there's three nations on the continent (why do all of these JRPG medieval Europes have 2-3 countries at most?), each of which has one resource the others cannot do without, is just... it's dumb. That's a recipe for an interesting Cold War premise, not an ongoing open conflict - they can't afford to go to war with each other, they need the others too much. So the whole thing feels kinda hackneyed from the word jump. The dialogue is appropriately old-timey, but not nearly as strong as it could be. VA work doesn't help with that. Honestly, given that this is the studio that gave us Octopath, I shouldn't really be surprised that the story is... less than promising.

Still. The gameplay is great. It's adapted some mechanics from Octopath in a very interesting way, and there seems to be a lot of nuance to the tactics. I could see myself putting a lot of hours into that. And it's very pretty. I just wish that the writing was better... maybe the full story will pick up somewhere down the line.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Square-Enix going from the rote FFI-III tribute to Tactics Ogre / FFT is such a big brain move. I wish Matsuno was involved, but otherwise this looks straight up my alley. Downloading demo now.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Anouncement of the night for me. Day whenerver preorders open. Put additional strain on my sleep time by downloading and playing the first mission of the demo asap after the Direct. ^^

Music is great. Art style is awesome.

The battles are off to a great start, but they need some polishing, but nothing that couldn't be done until February / January 2022. Why these months? Watch this game have the same release timeframe as BD2. ^^

The fact that every decision impacts your playthrough sounds promising if the changes are big enough to keep multiple playthroughs interesting.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, the voting mechanic is very interesting. Curious to see how much change those moments actually impart. I'm impressed with the fact that you can fail to get the "locked" options and still successfully make your case by selecting the right options.

Also, Frederica's VA is the best of the lot and I kinda wish she was the protag.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Played it after the direct and I'm impressed. I liked the battle preperation phase and the battle was challenging with lots of strategic depth. All it needs is polish. There were some slowdowns and the interface can be handled better but they have a lot of time ahead of them.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i don't expect they release a demo on this one, that working title give me an impression they are still developing on early phase, guess i was wrong, can we expect full release on less than a year ?

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
it looks fantasitc, as Octopath does, i just hope for two things;
1. a much better story
2. a name change, because its awful, worse than Octopath Traveller and i thought that was a stupid name to keep from a working title

Nov 4, 2017
This game stole the show for me, and I say that as somebody who enjoyed most of what was on show. I love tactics games and I thoroughly enjoyed Octopath, this could be GotY material for me.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Is the MC's voice actor gonna get canned because of the survey? Seems like the #1 complaint so far.

(I don't want anyone to lose their job because of it, but maybe he can re-record with some new direction?)

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I wasn't getting the MC voice actor complaints, but I got to a part where his father is basically in a coma and holy shit...The guy can't emote at all.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they had little time and the recordings were made for the demo only so far? Let's wait for previews / reviews of the full game and what's being said about the VA there.

What might point to this is ... the german translation of the on-screen text literally doesn't match the VA talk at all. It wouldn't even match if i translate the german text into the next obvious english sentences.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, after playing through the "convincing your party members of something" part, I really wish they take out the unlocking of the "right" talking option. I'm not totally sure if you can still fail using that line, but the fact that it plays the unlocking animation makes me not even think what would be the best to say, and makes me not need to pay attention to what the townpeople were saying.

EDIT: Yeah, I pretty much convinced everyone of what I wanted just because of using the unlocked line. Made it way to easy.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first battle and the game has a lot of potential: reminds me a lot of tactics ogre (and hoshigami for some reason). The gameplay is nice, the soundtrack is ok, but i can't get over the visuals: it looks so blurry, with that vaseline and bloom filter, even in handheld mode (which gave me a headache).

And yes, i know it is an early demo, so hopefully they can iron this out before release, because FFT/TO are among my favorite games, and this game looks promising. If not i will wait to see if it follows the Octopath Traveler route of releasing on PC on a later date.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The VA overall is really bad in my opinion from what I heard, sounds like fan project. Hope those are just some very early recordings.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
I'm loving the battles and the aesthetic - it's an amazing demo in those respects. Just finished though and the story and voice-over is shocking, some real laughable moments. Thoroughly enjoyable though, if they fix some simple things it'll be Day 1 for me.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Two of hours of the demo and I must say, there's a lot of potential in there. I hope they'll take the right feedback.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Messed around with this a bit. Got through the first battle. The aesthetic is gorgeous (not just the graphics, the character design is aces), the gameplay is fun, and the writing is... well, it's bad. It's not Fates, but it's not good. The worldbuilding strikes me as incredibly shallow, the "political" conflict, doubly so.

Exactly my first impressions too and the main thing that worries me.
Mechanics and gameplay seem great. I love the little profile option that you can bring up when a person is speaking to read a bit about them, if the number of characters is extensive it's nice to be able to refresh my knowledge of someone without the game constantly re-introducing them. Hopefully that section expands information on them as the story progresses.

So far it feels like the developers first wanted to make a SRPG and nailed it, but haven't quite got the story. Obviously this is just a demo and I'm going off only what has been teased, but I'm not sold or invested in the story yet. Perhaps the overarching story won't be that important to the whole game, instead interest can be found in vignettes, which flesh out and complicate characters in these self-contained smaller stories leading to player decision making more difficult.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my first impressions too and the main thing that worries me.
Mechanics and gameplay seem great. I love the little profile option that you can bring up when a person is speaking to read a bit about them, if the number of characters is extensive it's nice to be able to refresh my knowledge of someone without the game constantly re-introducing them. Hopefully that section expands information on them as the story progresses.

So far it feels like the developers first wanted to make a SRPG and nailed it, but haven't quite got the story. Obviously this is just a demo and I'm going off only what has been teased, but I'm not sold or invested in the story yet. Perhaps the overarching story won't be that important to the whole game, instead interest can be found in vignettes, which flesh out and complicate characters in these self-contained smaller stories leading to player decision making more difficult.
I could see it, though considering the character stories we've gotten so far, I'm not super optimistic there, either.

Man, I just wish one of these games would put in the effort on the politics/worldbuilding stuff. So many of these settings come off as exactly the same, and their idea of what conflict and machinations look like is almost laughable. There's all these moments in the demo where people go "what could that archduke be planning?!?" as if he hadn't just successfully taken over one of the only two rival powers on the continent. Why on earth are people looking for another motive? It's just sloppy.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I could see it, though considering the character stories we've gotten so far, I'm not super optimistic there, either.

Man, I just wish one of these games would put in the effort on the politics/worldbuilding stuff. So many of these settings come off as exactly the same, and their idea of what conflict and machinations look like is almost laughable. There's all these moments in the demo where people go "what could that archduke be planning?!?" as if he hadn't just successfully taken over one of the only two rival powers on the continent. Why on earth are people looking for another motive? It's just sloppy.
Agreed, it's silly when high level commanders in a feudal setting can't see what a campaign of conquest looks like. There's no need for great political scheming to be seen when that usually happens *before* the continental power balance is irrevocably shifted. At that point it's more a case of 'we should assume everyone else is next' as why wouldn't you, you have to plan for the worst.

Only played the first half hour of the demo so far but really enjoying it outside of the writing.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's interesting hearing people talk about writing and story, in a world where Fire Emblem is popular and I've always found the series to have spectacularly bad writing and story. So far the demo seems great. I love the art and little touches like being able to see a picture and little bit about who a person talking is, is pretty cool.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
After a Trump presidency, it just doesn't bother me anymore to see "unreal evil" villains in fiction.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's interesting hearing people talk about writing and story, in a world where Fire Emblem is popular and I've always found the series to have spectacularly bad writing and story. So far the demo seems great. I love the art and little touches like being able to see a picture and little bit about who a person talking is, is pretty cool.
I love FE and agree the plot/scenario writing hasn't been great for a long time. I think in this case though, comparisons to FFT/Tactics Ogre are going to be far more likely than FE given the developer, mechanics around height and positioning, isometric style etc.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Ok, after playing through more of the demo I'm a little worried for the voting aspect if it's always going to be this easy to convince people to vote how you want them too. Using the unlocked answer shouldn't always be the correct option so that you actually have to think about who you're talking to and tailor your responses. Otherwise it's just the MC basically making the decision but with extra steps.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
played for a bit, the gameplay and character design is really good!

The story though, same as octopath, looks really meh

Couldn't help but laugh at the 3 evil siblings with all the same evil face

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They're going for a very specific vibe and not executing on it adequately, so it sticks out.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
i'm happy with this team for putting out a demo waaay before release and then asking for feedback, wish this happened more often.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I will say, as someone who loved the name Octopath Traveler from the get-go... "Triangle Strategy" is bad. Lmao, I hope they actually change it this time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wouldn't be surprised if the demo isn't the opening of the game, but skipped ahead to get to the open conflict part of the narrative. I have a hard time imagining in the final game you'll get the option for a route spit after the first battle.