• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
I was hoping that they somehow would include online multiplayer for ToM but it's only local. Had to blow my one eShop refund on this one. I'm really only interested in ToM and would have paid the price if online multiplayer was a feature. Guess I will have to wait for the remake.
The Remake will be Single-Player only.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
As I expected, m2 accomplished a fully SNES-compatible translation. Someone managed to extract the ROM from the game and it works on real hardware and emulators. I know some people were thinking that they did some hackery with their emulator to get the English text in there, but that's just not m2's way. This is the company that ported Fantasy Zone 2 to System 16 before releasing it on the PS2 collection.

Does that mean there'll be a de-hewwo'd edit of the translation available next week?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am so excited to play this whole series with my husband, but especially use it to introduce him to Seiken 3. This, the 3d remake, and Panzer Dragoon won e3 for me.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
What a cool release. Trials of Mana is a landmark in 16-but sprite-work, and I'm stoked to see it get more exposure. It's also my favourite Mana game after Legend. I'm curious though if they ported it, or did a bona-fide rom translation that could run on original hardware.

*Edit*
As I expected, m2 accomplished a fully SNES-compatible translation. Someone managed to extract the ROM from the game and it works on real hardware and emulators. I know some people were thinking that they did some hackery with their emulator to get the English text in there, but that's just not m2's way. This is the company that ported Fantasy Zone 2 to System 16 before releasing it on the PS2 collection.
Dang, I should have known.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I started with Riesz, got Angela and Kevin, and put a point into dex and int. How screwed am I?
It doesn't actually matter in the long run. Stats for each class have a low enough cap that you should be able to max out the most important ones and still have some points left over, and class changing automatically boosts all of your stats to the previous class's cap anyway.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
how longs this game? and also the others in the collection

As others said, it's about 25 hours long, but it has replay value by the wazoo. Your 3-member party can consist of any combination of the available 6 characters, all of whom play very differently, and all 6 characters have 4 classes they can evolve into by the end, each with their own skillsets and limit breaks. What's more, the game has 6 different introduction sequences (depending on who's your main character) and the game world is threatened by 3 rivalling factions, each with their own big-bad trio. By the mid-game point, one of those factions eliminates the other two (the one that wins out depends again on who your main character is) meaning there are also three different mid-game dungeons, final dungeons and penultimate/final boss sets.

It requires at least 3 playthroughs in order to see all the bosses and dungeons, though I suspect few people will play the 8 times it takes to see all the final classes.

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
Boughted as soon as I could. Probably the best announcement at E3 with it dropping on the same day.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
I've never played or looked in to the Mana series, is Mana 2 also worth playing?

Thinking about getting the collection for a trip.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Was gonna jump in on it with my wife yesterday.. quickly relized that Secret of Mana also didnt let you play co-op until later in the game.. how long in Trials before me and the wife can both play at the same time? :>

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Was gonna jump in on it with my wife yesterday.. quickly relized that Secret of Mana also didnt let you play co-op until later in the game.. how long in Trials before me and the wife can both play at the same time? :>
As soon as you get your second character when you are in Astoria. 1 hour tops? Maybe a little bit more. Just remember to press start when the other character joins so your wife can play!

Erpy

May 31, 2018

Roughly 15 minutes after the opening credits roll, if you know what you're doing.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
As soon as you get your second character when you are in Astoria. 1 hour tops? Maybe a little bit more. Just remember to press start when the other character joins so your wife can play!

Ah great, currently chasing a blue light away from Astoria - should probably go back then hehe

Thanks

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
I'm torn between grabbing the collection or waiting for the 3D version since I already have multiple copies of the original Secret of Mana between my SNES Classic, Wii VC, and mobile, kinda wish they would sell the 2D one separately for a little cheaper.

Was the 3D version of Secret of Mana good? Would it be better to wait for the 3D version of this?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i might grab the collection, which is better, Secret of Trials?

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i might grab the collection, which is better, Secret of Trials?
I honestly wouldn't compare them. Both are great in different ways. Secret is more cohesive overall I want to say? If you're playing solo it's probably the most straightforward one.

My experience with Trials has only ever been a real shit fan translation that half the time would glitch out back when I was younger so my view on it may not reflect Trials accurately.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
wtf, got a link? wife and i were looking forward to replaying the remake, why would they take multiplayer out? the secret of mana remake was still multiplayer.

In the original, a 2D game with a static top-down perspective, allowing a second player to assume control of another on-screen character is a quick and easy thing to do. In a 3D game where the camera is located behind and actively follows the primary character and where other characters may not even be on-screen the moment you flick whatever stick controls the camera, implementing multiplayer (which would either require split-screen or online play) is one hell of a lot tougher. The Secret of Mana remake was technically 3D, but its gameplay was 2D. The Trials of Mana remake has 3D gameplay.

It's disappointing, but it's not hard to see why they ditched it.

Last edited:

MaSumo

Feb 2, 2018
Has anyone discovered an option to replace the 16:9 wallpaper art with nothing? Would prefer just plain black vertical bars bordering the game. ZR just changes zoom and I couldn't find anything in the settings.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Trials of Mana is gonna be so hard to get used to. I'd been calling it Seiken Densetsu 3 for so long and other people have been calling it Secret of Mana 2 for so long as well.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

Wow, that's beyond cool that it works on actual hardware.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
So is this kind of like the beginnings of Octopath ? As far as singular storylines, etc.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Man I have so many new games I should play...but I might just have to grab this. I'm going to be switching my commute from a drive to an hour-ish train ride so I might even have time to play it.

But yeah I've probably played through this 8 times, though the last one was maybe 2003. I vaguely remember Hawkeye and Riesz being stupidly op but Kevin was always my dude. I'll definitely give the remake a shot at least.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
For those playing is there the crazy lag when going to the menus that was in the send version?

Will jump in later as 60aus is a bit much for me personally. Great series and collection though.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Aaaaaaaaand sol-

Wait what?! Is this true? Need to know this before I bite.
Also Can you get the NA version to display Mystic Quest as well?
I swear if I have to choose between 50hz Secret of Mana and OGB Mystic Quest I will break something!
Sorry for the scare, I've now seen it confirmed that there's both the PAL and NA versions of the games. You just need to select "English (US)" ingame to have the 60hz version.

edit: https://youtu.be/1PrNQxLxxAU?t=22

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm excited! This is one of my favorite games ever.

I'm randomizing my characters and jobs for the run, (Trials of Mana Three Job... Thriesta?) so it'll be Magus Angela, Paladin Duran, and Dragon Master Riesz. Black Rabite, here I come!

Nope!
Ahahahaahahahaha,
I fucking love this game.
Even the badly implemented systems that doesn't make sense are fantastic.
It makes so much sense for this to have been implemented but nope.

Sorry for the scare, I've now seen it confirmed that there's both the PAL and NA versions of the games. You just need to select "English (US)" ingame to have the 60hz version.

edit: https://youtu.be/1PrNQxLxxAU?t=22
This is such good news!
I get to play Mystic Quest again (because god knows beyond Wii VC no one ever actually cared to put the PAL version of games in their rereleases).
And I get to play SoM either in 60Hz like the SNES mini or like I remember in French back in the day.
The wide physical release means that I can focus on Last Remnant until Mario Maker 2 is released and get the physical release of the collection while salivating at you guys playing.
I waited over 20 years, I can wait 2 months

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Truly bizarre to remove co-op.
not really,
it's a full 3D game.
If they wanted to implement co op in a way that made sense like the original , it means implementing lan or online co op.
as split screen makes no sense for this.

9. The developers had no idea there was a cult following in the West thanks to a fan translation at first. After the project was greenlit, the developers began searching on the internet about it and found the fan translation for the first time.
They noticed us sempai!!!
Decades of whinning on the internet helped!
10. The producers want to remake the entire series eventually, so there may be something for Legend of Mana if Trials of Mana sells well. They also want to eventually make new Mana games that channel the series' origins better.
So guys, you know the drill.
Let's make Legend happen again!
There's nightmare mode to finish!
11. While the Secret of Mana remake was not on Switch, Trials of Mana is thanks to fan feedback over the lack of Mana on the console. Oyamada said that Collection of Mana was Switch-exclusive because they had to actually get the code for the games from Nintendo, meaning the Switch made sense.
That is actually interesting.
Nintendo probably has the assembly version of all the games released on their platforms.
This means that there is a conservation effort at Nintendo and it's probably rather extensive.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
not really,
it's a full 3D game.
If they wanted to implement co op in a way that made sense like the original , it means implementing lan or online co op.
as split screen makes no sense for this.
You're completely right. I misread and thought it was for the original in the collection. Disregard. :)