• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still doing some replays of FF7R for trophies but I think I'm going to dive into this after. I tend to like the mid-tier RPG's like this a lot and I remember the SNES version having absolutely fantastic music back in the day. The review scores look good to me—not every game needs a 9 or 10 to be fun.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I wouldn't even say kinda. Heroes is a DIRECT prequel to Trials, and more essentially tied in the general Mana series universe.

Quite literally Heroes features everyones parents and whatnot prior to Trials. Also, same world and countries.
I had no idea. Some really good gameplay in Heroes (that was the strategy one right?) that I'd love to get a new copy of. Shame I can't find a copy anymore in stores.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the games where i don't really need reviews. Going to get this no matter what.

At least it looks much better than the Secret of Mana remake abomination.

Heads up, you're spoiling one of the final bosses in one of those images. ;]
To be fair, if you haven't played the game yet, you wouldn't know. So, in a way, you spoiled it too. :P

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
the doing playing the game multiple times to see everything kinda worries me. does choosing a different character give you access to new areas or do you traverse the same areas regardless of characters?

You mostly see the same areas regardless of group, but the three pairs (Duran/Angela; Kevin/Charlotte; Riesz/Hawkeye) do have different antagonists and final dungeons.

The different antagonists/dungeons are nice for replayability, but if you're replaying the game, most of your renewed enjoyment is going to come from using different character, class, and group compositions. The game naturally has tons of replayability, but it might not be best to do such replays back-to-back.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all! I did the GameXplain review of Trials of Mana (video is in the first post). Spoiler: I liked it. If anyone has any questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability!
I'm worried about the difficulty level based on the demo, even Hard Mode seemed too easy.
Can you comment on that? If it's as brain dead easy as Ni No Kuni 2 I think I'm out.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Hey all! I did the GameXplain review of Trials of Mana (video is in the first post). Spoiler: I liked it. If anyone has any questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability!
Loved your coverage and how you fairly addressed not only the "type of remake" when we're getting a lot of different varieties currently with RE3make/FF7Remake/etc but also being blunt about the shortcomings of the game and explaining where your critiques came from. Good stuff and I agree it's nice to see things sometimes be un-apologetically themselves even if to some people that means they're "dated."

Main questions I have is if you use Japanese do you miss out on battle banter? Unfortunately some games like Xenoblade and Tales Of have battle banter that isn't subtitled so you can miss out on some really good nuggets of conversations between characters if you don't use your native language.

Did you have any complaints about the post game setup? I know you said you can't talk about it much but a simple "It's a good addition" or "I don't know if it was good" would be cool to see.

Thirdly I never got far in the original but many said there were a ton of gamebreaking bugs in the original game that I'd hope are fixed in this one, I'm assuming you didn't run into anything like stats flat out not doing what they were supposed to or anything right?

Good review and keep it up! :)

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
You mostly see the same areas regardless of group, but the three pairs (Duran/Angela; Kevin/Charlotte; Riesz/Hawkeye) do have different antagonists and final dungeons.

The different antagonists/dungeons are nice for replayability, but if you're replaying the game, most of your renewed enjoyment is going to come from using different character, class, and group compositions. The game naturally has tons of replayability, but it might not be best to do such replays back-to-back.
How does this work? Like is there one leader who the whole story is based on or if you pick one character from each pair do you see pretty much everything?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How does this work? Like is there one leader who the whole story is based on or if you pick one character from each pair do you see pretty much everything?

Basically, each pair has an antagonist, and the antagonist of the main character the player chooses becomes the 'main' villain.

The character(s) in your group who don't share your main's antagonist have a truncated storyline.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
the doing playing the game multiple times to see everything kinda worries me. does choosing a different character give you access to new areas or do you traverse the same areas regardless of characters?

So I can't speak for every route, but for my Riesz/Hawkeye/Charlotte playthrough, yes, there were two areas (both kingdoms/towns) that I never got to visit properly because their associated characters didn't feature heavily (Kevin) or at all (Angela) in my route. I suspect every route is like this and has a couple areas you never get access to depending on the party you chose, but as I said in my review, my playthrough felt complete regardless of not getting to explore a couple of kingdoms/towns. Outside of those specific locations, though, yeah, I believe you traverse the same areas no matter your party (there are three different possible final bosses depending on your main character, though).

Also, the game is smartly designed in such a way that locations that are walled off for certain routes don't have any missables (mainly Li'l Cactus locations in this game's case).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about this aspect too much.

So the demo on hard came off a bit on the easy side, does the challenge ramp up? Sorry if you mentioned it in the video.

Not much, and yeah, the game's pacing with regard to gameplay depth and challenge was one of my main criticisms in the review. On normal difficulty, Trials of Mana is so easy that it's basically effortless and the combat is pretty shallow until your characters get their first class change (which happens around 10 hours in). After that the game does ramp up in difficulty a little, including one surprisingly brutal difficulty spike in a boss fight shortly after that first class change, but other than that spike the difficulty curve never quite manages to keep up. It's easy to become overpowered just by fighting whatever you come across, and I never came even close to getting a Game Over outside of that one surprising spike.

I definitely recommend playing on hard from the start if you're an action RPG/action veteran. That's what I'm going to do when I play a second time with the characters I didn't choose the first time around (Duran/Angela/Kevin). And yeah, I enjoyed it more than enough to want to do a second playthrough when I get a chance, so that's significant!

Hey Ash! Thank you for the review! How long did it took you to finish the new story quest?

Thank YOU for watching, glad you enjoyed it! :)

I actually haven't finished the postgame content yet because I wasn't allowed to cover it in the review and I was already pressed for time with such a short review period (a little less than a week), so I can't say exactly how meaty it is. That said, it doesn't seem to be significantly long from what I've played so far -- I was able to achieve Riesz's Class 4 change within 30-45 minutes of starting the postgame, and that includes a new boss fight that basically serves as a barrier to getting the item she needs for Class 4.

I'm pretty sure each character follows that same pattern (go to a location significant to them, start a new story bit that guides you to their Class 4 item, fight a new boss to get it, go to
the Mana Goddess statue in the Sanctuary of Mana
to make the change), and I assume each quest is similarly lean to Riesz's.

After you get all of your Class 4 changes, though, I don't know if it's a straight beeline to the new final boss or if there's more content before that. I get the general sense that the postgame stuff isn't super long, though.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Amazon delayed my copy to the 28th, so I'll be waiting a while to play. Works out well for me since I'm obsessed with FF7R at the moment. All my free time is going to that.

Reading the Gamespot review has me a bit concerned with the Class system.
The third-tier Class upgrades, which are already gated behind a level requirement, are also gated behind special seeds, and the game isn't immediately clear about where to look for them. And once you find those seeds, the classes they grant are randomized between a handful of different sets, so you may not get the variant you wanted.
Not liking the sound of this.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I just watched this, and it sounds like the game turned out exactly like I wanted. I'm excited!

I've got a question about the stat system. I saw you using Ninja Hawkeye in the video, are his spells all learned through one stat or are they spread across several? Angela seems to need to raise a different stat for each element, so it surprised me when I saw all of Charlotte's saber spells being under spirit. It would be kind of weird if Angela's the only one who has to really spread stat points thin just to learn the basic stuff from her class's kit.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is the english cast listed? Or which studio did it?

As i feel the that certain director did it same as secret of mana remake

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are looking good.

I never played the original and I read that it's a faithfull recreation. In that case Trials of Mana was way ahead of its time.

Look forward playing it tomorrow.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
At the end, I kept my pre-order and Amazon already got the money, so today or will be shipped. Who knows if I will get it tomorrow or on Monday, it is the first time I am buying a game on Amazon since the lockdown.
Reading the reviews, I think I will enjoy it - my main concern was about that I will pause it before XBDE, but maybe I can finish a run before it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason for me not to go with a party of Kevin (main), Hawkeye, and Riesz?

Hawkeye and Riesz's stories are the ones that intersect, so if you were going to go with that team, I would maybe make one of them the main character -- unless you want to see Kevin's story specifically, and don't care about Charlotte's intersection there (which is pretty minor).

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about the difficulty level based on the demo, even Hard Mode seemed too easy.
Can you comment on that? If it's as brain dead easy as Ni No Kuni 2 I think I'm out.

this is my fear, the review didn't really help to make reduce my worry, thay all said the game was very easy on normal... i can't see hard became somewhat harder....

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered it from Amazon last night. Gives me time to finish Cold Steel 3 this weekend or sooner.

I debated between this and FF7R but I figured this game is significantly shorter and the bright colors and such kinda appeals to me over the grungy metal world of FF7R atm.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW, my criticism of the critique isn't limited to this game. Its not even the first this year. There are a lot of more niche titles which are waylaid by reviewers simply because the reviewers didn't want to play that game or even that genre, or simply ones where if they changed the presentation and the publisher the entire sentiment of the review would change, but I'm rambling and that isn't really the case here. I'm not here to raise that debate but I am bringing it up in the context of this game.
Most reviewers are working for free, so you can be sure they tend to only review the games that interest them.

That's just how it goes.
Any reason for me not to go with a party of Kevin (main), Hawkeye, and Riesz?
If they're even half as good in the remake as they were in the original, then you'll crush the game in record time.
Riesz casts buffs.
Hawkeye casts debuffs.
Kevin turns into a werewolf and obliterates everything.

Just have to make sure you pick the right classes to facilitate that strategy.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Most reviewers are working for free, so you can be sure they tend to only review the games that interest them.

That's just how it goes.

Yeah it's good when true. When I worked on a gaming website 10 years ago we didn't give scores at all for ethical reasons. Still sore that more sites don't do that. I know it runs contrary to what people want, but we still had thousands of weekly views. Couldn't get on metacritic of course.

it was purely hobby grade, we never put ads on the site either.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's good when true. When I worked on a gaming website 10 years ago we didn't give scores at all for ethical reasons. Still sore that more sites don't do that. I know it runs contrary to what people want, but we still had thousands of weekly views. Couldn't get on metacritic of course.

it was purely hobby grade, we never put ads on the site either.
I used to be a reviewer, until the nonstop complaining from everybody nearly drove me to have a panic attack.
On some level, I get what you're saying, but being bitter about the people who are still willing to do this shit job isn't going to make a difference.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a reviewer, until the nonstop complaining from everybody nearly drove me to have a panic attack.
On some level, I get what you're saying, but being bitter about the people who are still willing to do this shit job isn't going to make a difference.

I just realized it was gamerankings not metacritic and I had completely forgotten gamerankings was a thing...

Fair point about the critique. I still hear reviewers get a lot of legit harassment and threats which is completely fucked.

My worry was always for the devs and their families, re: bonuses withheld for poor reviews etc. I really hope companies don't do that as much anymore. That's on the publishers of course, but monsters will be monsters...

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Uh, that's lower than expected. I think I'll buy it nonetheless since I had fun with the demo. I just need to determine which will be my main character and the difficulty level.

Is there any advantage to complete the demo, like bonus or something?

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Good scores. I'll wait on a price drop though. I had fun with the demo but the framerate and English voice acting pushed it down a peg for me.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Ok, that's weird because in the demo, I pick Duran, Angela and Riesz but I have only Duran and Riesz at that time, no sign of Angela.

The demo cuts off two minutes before your third character joins. The only way to have a party of three in the demo is to pick Charlotte as your third character since she joins just a little bit earlier.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.

Yeah, it's too easy and it takes the battle system longer than it should to really open up and make its actual depth apparent; that was one of my main criticisms. I played through on normal as the baseline for my review and it's basically effortless until about 10 hours in (when your characters get their first class change) and even though it does ramp up somewhat after that, I still never came anywhere close to getting a Game Over except for one boss fight that represented an out-of-nowhere difficulty spike.

If you do decide to play it, you'll definitely want to do so on hard (as I'll be doing for my eventual replay). But yeah, if you were already concerned about the lack of difficulty in the demo, know that it continues to be an issue throughout the whole game. I do suspect, though, that it might get at least decently challenging after the first class change if you're playing on hard (though I can't say for sure).

Loved your coverage and how you fairly addressed not only the "type of remake" when we're getting a lot of different varieties currently with RE3make/FF7Remake/etc but also being blunt about the shortcomings of the game and explaining where your critiques came from. Good stuff and I agree it's nice to see things sometimes be un-apologetically themselves even if to some people that means they're "dated."

Main questions I have is if you use Japanese do you miss out on battle banter? Unfortunately some games like Xenoblade and Tales Of have battle banter that isn't subtitled so you can miss out on some really good nuggets of conversations between characters if you don't use your native language.

Did you have any complaints about the post game setup? I know you said you can't talk about it much but a simple "It's a good addition" or "I don't know if it was good" would be cool to see.

Thirdly I never got far in the original but many said there were a ton of gamebreaking bugs in the original game that I'd hope are fixed in this one, I'm assuming you didn't run into anything like stats flat out not doing what they were supposed to or anything right?

Good review and keep it up! :)

Thank you! :) To answer your questions...

I didn't play with the Japanese voices much because I wanted to be able to cover the dub in my review, but based on what I did try, yeah, battle banter is not subtitled so you do miss out on that if you play with the Japanese voice track. :( I should note, too, that while there is a finite amount of battle and victory banter for each character that you'll eventually end up hearing repeatedly throughout the game, there's also specific banter for each area that's contextual to what's happening in the story, so you'd still be missing out on unique banter if you, say, switched to Japanese after hearing the same non-unique lines a bunch of times.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I wasn't allowed to cover the postgame in the review anyway and I was already pressed for time on the review, so I haven't played much of that portion. From what I have played, though, I get the sense that it's fairly lean; it only took me about 45 minutes, if that, to complete Riesz's new story quest and get her Class 4 change item (which involves a boss fight). I have a feeling each character's new quest for their Class 4 item is probably similarly brief, but beyond that, I can't really say.

As for game-breaking bugs, nope! At least based on my experience, those issues from the original game have all been ironed out and stats all work properly this time around.

good video you made, it was enjoyable to watch and listen to.

Thanks so much! :)

I just watched this, and it sounds like the game turned out exactly like I wanted. I'm excited!

I've got a question about the stat system. I saw you using Ninja Hawkeye in the video, are his spells all learned through one stat or are they spread across several? Angela seems to need to raise a different stat for each element, so it surprised me when I saw all of Charlotte's saber spells being under spirit. It would be kind of weird if Angela's the only one who has to really spread stat points thin just to learn the basic stuff from her class's kit.

Glad to hear it! Thank you for watching!

As for your question, this kind of threw me off too, and it seems to be on a by-character, or perhaps even by-class, basis? I can't speak for Angela as I didn't play as her, but much like you saw with Charlotte in the video, Ninja Hawkeye's abilities (Fire Diversion, Thunder Technique, Shuriken, Dark Rain, etc.) all fall under his Luck stat, which spurred me to max that out first for him in most cases. I didn't necessarily find this to be a bad thing, but yeah, it certainly stood out to me as odd.

Is the english cast listed? Or which studio did it?

As i feel the that certain director did it same as secret of mana remake

Yeah, the English cast is listed in the end credits, and I didn't recognize a single name. (Not that voice actors have to be big-name A-listers to be great, of course!) I'm sure the studio is listed as well, though I don't remember it if it was. I suspect you're right about this and the Secret of Mana remake sharing the same voice director, because the dubs are remarkably similar in their, just... I don't know how else to put it... sheer weirdness. It's not even like every character or line is bad; it's more like the director told the actors to just ham it up as much as possible for scenes that don't really justify it. It's baffling.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Scores are about what I would have expected considering the voice acting, cutscenes and story presentation that was in the demo, I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's too easy and it takes the battle system longer than it should to really open up and make its actual depth apparent; that was one of my main criticisms. I played through on normal as the baseline for my review and it's basically effortless until about 10 hours in (when your characters get their first class change) and even though it does ramp up somewhat after that, I still never came anywhere close to getting a Game Over except for one boss fight that represented an out-of-nowhere difficulty spike.

If you do decide to play it, you'll definitely want to do so on hard (as I'll be doing for my eventual replay). But yeah, if you were already concerned about the lack of difficulty in the demo, know that it continues to be an issue throughout the whole game. I do suspect, though, that it might get at least decently challenging after the first class change if you're playing on hard (though I can't say for sure).

Thank you! :) To answer your questions...

I didn't play with the Japanese voices much because I wanted to be able to cover the dub in my review, but based on what I did try, yeah, battle banter is not subtitled so you do miss out on that if you play with the Japanese voice track. :( I should note, too, that while there is a finite amount of battle and victory banter for each character that you'll eventually end up hearing repeatedly throughout the game, there's also specific banter for each area that's contextual to what's happening in the story, so you'd still be missing out on unique banter if you, say, switched to Japanese after hearing the same non-unique lines a bunch of times.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I wasn't allowed to cover the postgame in the review anyway and I was already pressed for time on the review, so I haven't played much of that portion. From what I have played, though, I get the sense that it's fairly lean; it only took me about 45 minutes, if that, to complete Riesz's new story quest and get her Class 4 change item (which involves a boss fight). I have a feeling each character's new quest for their Class 4 item is probably similarly brief, but beyond that, I can't really say.

As for game-breaking bugs, nope! At least based on my experience, those issues from the original game have all been ironed out and stats all work properly this time around.

Thanks so much! :)

Glad to hear it! Thank you for watching!

As for your question, this kind of threw me off too, and it seems to be on a by-character, or perhaps even by-class, basis? I can't speak for Angela as I didn't play as her, but much like you saw with Charlotte in the video, Ninja Hawkeye's abilities (Fire Diversion, Thunder Technique, Shuriken, Dark Rain, etc.) all fall under his Luck stat, which spurred me to max that out first for him in most cases. I didn't necessarily find this to be a bad thing, but yeah, it certainly stood out to me as odd.

Yeah, the English cast is listed in the end credits, and I didn't recognize a single name. (Not that voice actors have to be big-name A-listers to be great, of course!) I'm sure the studio is listed as well, though I don't remember it if it was. I suspect you're right about this and the Secret of Mana remake sharing the same voice director, because the dubs are remarkably similar in their, just... I don't know how else to put it... sheer weirdness. It's not even like every character or line is bad; it's more like the director told the actors to just ham it up as much as possible for scenes that don't really justify it. It's baffling.

Thanks, ill just check it when the game unlocks.. most sqex games have great english voice acting now

ff7r/nier automata/bravely series (afaik they still do the loc for this and not nintendo themselves)

its a shame they cant keep it consistent

many would blame the actors themselves on this iffy performance sadly the one is at fault are the director as they cant disobey the voice director instructions

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, ill just check it when the game unlocks.. most sqex games have great english voice acting now

ff7r/nier automata/bravely series (afaik they still do the loc for this and not nintendo themselves)

its a shame they cant keep it consistent

many would blame the actors themselves on this iffy performance sadly the one is at fault are the director as they cant disobey the voice director instructions

Some of the voice acting in this game definitely feels like they hired some college drama students to read the lines.....it isn't great haha