• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
You're going to have to chill, it's a phrase. Why not include the 6/10s?
RoO2U0G.png

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
This is me.

My days of giving a game a dozen hours before it even starts are in the past.
A game taking like 10 hours to really get going is one thing when the game is like 100+ hours long (like persona 5) but taking 10 hours to get going when the game itself is only 25-30 hours long and encourages replays feels like kind of a big ask.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
A game taking like 10 hours to really get going is one thing when the game is like 100+ hours long (like persona 5) but taking 10 hours to get going when the game itself is only 25-30 hours long and encourages replays feels like kind of a big ask.

The combat is good since the first fight tho, it just opens up more as the game goes on (which is normal, having the same combat for 30 hours would be very boring)

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh that's my whole foundation for the complaint! You literally just told me to do this.

Guy you seem really fucking salty about something and I'm still not sure what it is.

Are you mad that they did or did not like the game?

Are you mad they compared it to FF7R (which after reading like 9 reviews I haven't seen ANYONE do).

Like wtf are you being so combative here? The game is getting mostly solid reviews with some valid complaints.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Guy you seem really fucking salty about something and I'm still not sure what it is.

Are you mad that they did or did not like the game?

Are you mad they compared it to FF7R (which after reading like 9 reviews I haven't seen ANYONE do).

Like wtf are you being so combative here? The game is getting mostly solid reviews with some valid complaints.

I made a comment and my replies have only been responding to others' comment about my comment. It's not in anger. If anything ya'll seem angry at me.

I stand by what I said that these reviews seem to be comparing this remake to FF7 remake, although they're not calling it out, they seem to dwell on "it could be better". That's always true, but I don't feel the scores and comments reflect how the game would have been reviewed if it weren't coming out around FF7 Remake.

This is a remake of an all time classic, where they haven't made any major missteps, it's faithful. And FWIW a score of 7/10 is median at best, statistically speaking.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Are the last classes still gated behind bullshit RNG that will take forever to farm?
From Gamestop's review.

The third-tier Class upgrades, which are already gated behind a level requirement, are also gated behind special seeds, and the game isn't immediately clear about where to look for them. And once you find those seeds, the classes they grant are randomized between a handful of different sets, so you may not get the variant you wanted.

So sadly, yeah, still the same ol RNG bullshit.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Do a full translation of the French, German, and Italian ones for me please.
So, I won't be able to do a full translation of the Gamekult one (which is a 6/10, a pretty good score for this website tbh) but here are some bullet points:
-The battle system is too simple at first but becomes engaging a few hours in once you get more options.
-Bosses can be challenging but they have too much life and tend to drag on.
-The story is simplistic but has some charm.
-It's dated from a technical/game design POV.
-The reviewer likes it much more than the original game and thinks it's a decent/good action RPG but isn't a must play.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
From Gamestop's review.

So sadly, yeah, still the same ol RNG bullshit.

Leveling up the flower pot (just by planting seeds) will increase both the frequency of seed drops and rarity of goods (the latter applies to weapon and armors from seeds). You'll only ever get class items for the three characters in your team, but that means you'll randomly get one of 12 seeds (since you get them for all four Class 3's per character).

The seeds are really generous this time around, but you can always save before you spend them just in case you don't get what you want.

flonty

Oct 27, 2017
Here we goooo!
I don't actually care about any scores :)
Day one even if the metacritic was 1

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I made a comment and my replies have only been responding to others' comment about my comment. It's not in anger. If anything ya'll seem angry at me.

I stand by what I said that these reviews seem to be comparing this remake to FF7 remake, although they're not calling it out, they seem to dwell on "it could be better". That's always true, but I don't feel the scores and comments reflect how the game would have been reviewed if it weren't coming out around FF7 Remake.

This is a remake of an all time classic, where they haven't made any major missteps, it's faithful. And FWIW a score of 7/10 is median at best, statistically speaking.

The current average is 76%-78% on Metacritic depending on platforms.

As someone who liked Secret of Mana & Seiken Densetsu 3 back in the day, this remake seems adequate, but not essential. The 3D graphics look low-budget and lack the charm of the 2D art. I've heard nothing but complaints about the voice acting. Story seems relatively unchanged (and wasn't too exciting to begin with), while combat sounds fun & much improved. It looks like the very definition of a game that would get in the 70%-80% range for reviews - worth considering for the diehard fans, ignore for everybody else. At $50, it also feels overpriced for what is clearly a budget title.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
sigh. I don't understand how the decision to keep this was made. No one thinks it's good.

According to other reviews, the seed drop rates were increased, and the level curve has also changed, such that you'll reach the requisite levels faster. Combined, that should help mitigate the original game's pacing issue of providing the class changes too late.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to other reviews, the seed drop rates were increased, and the level curve has also changed, such that you'll reach the requisite levels faster. Combined, that should help mitigate the original game's pacing issue of providing the class changes too late.
It's better than nothing, at least. It would have still been more interesting to see the classes as rewards for completing character-specific sidequests with bosses at the end. I wish we had gotten that.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the very definition of a game that would get in the 70%-80% range for reviews

Yeah and this is the part of your comment I most agree with, but I disagree with why it should be so. I think criticism of the acting, story, and visuals is fair either fully justified or subjectively (visuals specifically).

FWIW, my criticism of the critique isn't limited to this game. Its not even the first this year. There are a lot of more niche titles which are waylaid by reviewers simply because the reviewers didn't want to play that game or even that genre, or simply ones where if they changed the presentation and the publisher the entire sentiment of the review would change, but I'm rambling and that isn't really the case here. I'm not here to raise that debate but I am bringing it up in the context of this game.

But then what are you left with? A great game with bad story and voice acting? I don't think that's a "pass" game at all.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I want to pick this up, but it makes no sense for me to spend money on it right now with my backlog. Hopefully this stays in print for a while.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh that's my whole foundation for the complaint! You literally just told me to do this.
Sounds like some arbitrary mental block on you then. You shouldn't need 100% of reviews to agree with your opinion to justify your thoughts on a game. Especially when you haven't played the full game yourself.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like some arbitrary mental block on you then. You shouldn't need 100% of reviews to agree with your opinion to justify your thoughts on a game. Especially when you haven't played the full game yourself.

Just doing my due diligence if I'm going to complain about the reviews. I didn't read 100% but I read a lot of em. I was joking about telling you to translate but I appreciate the translation provided earlier in the thread.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This year has been nuts for JRPG remakes & enhanced versions. In the first half of 2020, we have or are getting:

Trials of Mana (plus the Secret of Mana Collection)
TMS#FE (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal
FF7 Remake
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Langrisser 1 & 2

Throw in DQ11 Switch at the end of 2019 and it's really hard to keep up.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sounds interesting based on the reviews I saw. Never played the original , but probably will give the demo a shot and see if it clicks for me.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This year has been nuts for JRPG remakes & enhanced versions. In the first half of 2020, we have or are getting:

Trials of Mana (plus the Secret of Mana Collection)
TMS#FE (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal
FF7 Remake
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Langrisser 1 & 2

Throw in DQ11 Switch at the end of 2019 and it's really hard to keep up.

And Alliance Alive HD recently, FF Chrystal Chronicles HD this year too, and then Saga Scarlet Grace

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished FFVIIR and I'm pretty hungry for another action RPG. Tried going back to the original FFVII, but I'm not in the mood for turn based/ATB right now.

I also like that this game is sticking to the original more faithfully. I enjoyed FFVIIR a lot but sometimes you just want to experience old shit but prettier and with better gameplay.

So I'll be picking this up.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The demo really turned me off so I'm gonna pass. It seems like a less fun version of a Ys game

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
So, with all the reviews saying that it's an updated but otherwise true to the original remake of SD3, this means that...

...the second half of the game remains the same slog of nonstop grinding and bossfights while the entire plot comes to a grinding halt? You know, the whole stupid God-Beasts part?

I never could force myself through all that in the original, so the remake is probably not for me either then... :-/

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Leveling up the flower pot (just by planting seeds) will increase both the frequency of seed drops and rarity of goods (the latter applies to weapon and armors from seeds). You'll only ever get class items for the three characters in your team, but that means you'll randomly get one of 12 seeds (since you get them for all four Class 3's per character).

The seeds are really generous this time around, but you can always save before you spend them just in case you don't get what you want.

Hey just curious, do the flower pots all share levels or do I need to throw all the seeds into a single pot? Trying to figure out if I need to save my seeds for a particular farming point.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Hey just curious, do the flower pots all share levels or do I need to throw all the seeds into a single pot? Trying to figure out if I need to save my seeds for a particular farming point.

They're all the same pool! And I believe you get XP at the same rate no matter which seed you use, so just throw all of your low level ones in there without a care.

I believe one of the L'il Cactus rewards (new collectible) also improves seed droprates.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Seems almost on the mark from what I experienced from the demo. Slightly higher. The VA is quite something though, overwhelming just straight up not my thing and completely tuned me out of the mood for the game.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Maybe I'll get the original then since this remake sounds mediocre based on what gamespot says. Secret of Mana was my first RPG and I was always sore that it's sequel was a Japan exclusive.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Count me in as someone who finished FF7R not to long ago, Im still craving Jrpgs. If this is more a comfort rpg then thats fine with me. I liked the demo aside the voice acting. Never played any of the mana series.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
so many people have mentioned how bad the VA really is..why don't you play it in japanese then? It's usually the safest bet.

Also I'm worried about the difficulty level in terms that even Hard Mode seemed a bit too easy...is this another Ni No Kuni 2 kind of situation? (that one was brain dead easy)

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
ended up getting the PC version just to support the JRPG genre and Square Enix's efforts to do mid-tier budget jrpgs. Mana fans better show some love :)

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Hey all! I did the GameXplain review of Trials of Mana (video is in the first post). Spoiler: I liked it. If anyone has any questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all! I did the GameXplain review of Trials of Mana (video is in the first post). Spoiler: I liked it. If anyone has any questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability!
the doing playing the game multiple times to see everything kinda worries me. does choosing a different character give you access to new areas or do you traverse the same areas regardless of characters?