• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
If you're good at dodging than the difficulty remains pretty easy, but I dunno the damage dealt plus the AOEs gets rather hectic and painful

You have to dodge i saw a much later bosses that do like 500 damage on a 700-900 hp pool. I saw a couple of instant death attack.... had to use all 9 cup and all 9 items to kill it. Yeah it look super easy from stream but everything look way harder later on. Saw a instant party wipe with 4 aoe from normal mob.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on hard and the game gets harder pretty soon. If you are a bit underleveled and dealing with several ennemies, you are likely to have 1+ of your characters killed.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I played the a bit more than a hour, and the auto dash is a real blessing. Currently I am on Hard difficulty, but I haven't fighted against any boss yet. Reading here, it seems that Hard isn't as easy as many of us thought. I will decide in the following hours of game, after the first bosses, the final difficulty I will play the game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the demo. Yeah, I'm not feeling this at all. I actually liked the feel of the combat in the original game, and that's just totally gone in the remake. The combat feels completely weightless with no sense of feedback at all. And the overall production values are just low enough that all of the "upgrades" feel like it detracts from the experience rather than add to it. Things like awkward voice acting, simplistic 3D environment details, animations etc. just stand out and distract me a lot more in how lackluster it feels compared to the more refined 16-bit presentation of the original game.

It basically feels like it would have been an okay remake from 15 years ago that in hindsight aged a lot more poorly than the original, if that analogy makes any sense.
I really love the game myself, but the one thing that's kinda too bad (but understandable) is that it's a fairly low-budget version of a big-budget game. That's really what it is: the original was a big release for the Super Famicom and has what you very rightly describe as a refined 16-bit presentation. This is really just a medium-budget 3D representation of that. It works, but it does feel like more of a "cheap" game due to it. The bland, generic anime art-style really doesn't help. But I suppose that can't be helped.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Trials JUST got delivered. Still need to beat FF7R, but may hold off to start this one. My kids loved watching the demo being played.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Holy f*ck at Angela's 1st class change, how I'm supposed to learn all those spells!
On SNES you just had to put point into INT to get everything lmao

Last edited:

NeoBranwen711

Jan 11, 2020
Tennessee
I'm not sure I'll be getting this, so I don't have much to say regarding it, but the OP's visual guide thing and what not describing classes and showing the characters what not is very nice :)

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the game myself, but the one thing that's kinda too bad (but understandable) is that it's a fairly low-budget version of a big-budget game. That's really what it is: the original was a big release for the Super Famicom and has what you very rightly describe as a refined 16-bit presentation. This is really just a medium-budget 3D representation of that. It works, but it does feel like more of a "cheap" game due to it. The bland, generic anime art-style really doesn't help. But I suppose that can't be helped.

i think thats my issue although im not sure i would count this as a main release since it is a budget remake...but the Mana games were always pushing those beautiful painterly graphics.

i mean... Dawn of Mana is one of the best looking PS2 games imo, and i kinda wish Trials kept that art style... game wasnt great... but dude.. i fucking loved the way it looked.

YAzymud

HNnxMhu.jpg

GumqswE.jpg

KhRoJOv.jpg

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
You have to dodge i saw a much later bosses that do like 500 damage on a 700-900 hp pool. I saw a couple of instant death attack.... had to use all 9 cup and all 9 items to kill it. Yeah it look super easy from stream but everything look way harder later on. Saw a instant party wipe with 4 aoe from normal mob.
LOL that happened to me in Valsena. Game over.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So when do you actually get the first class change? I just did the area with all the mole holes and
I found the city under attack

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think thats my issue although im not sure i would count this as a main release since it is a budget remake...but the Mana games were always pushing those beautiful painterly graphics.

i mean... Dawn of Mana is one of the best looking PS2 games imo, and i kinda wish Trials kept that art style... game wasnt great... but dude.. i fucking loved the way it looked.

YAzymud

HNnxMhu.jpg

GumqswE.jpg

KhRoJOv.jpg

tbf a hypothetical upres of the game with cleaned textures would about look about the same as Trials

i would't argue in favor of Trials' artistic direction too much but push to shove game looks quite okay

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Never played this series, what does it compare to? Final Fantasy? Tales? Dragon Quest? or is it its own thing entirely?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Never played this series, what does it compare to? Final Fantasy? Tales? Dragon Quest? or is it its own thing entirely?

There's a demo available.

It's not so much comparable to any of those, really. It's a charming, lighthearted, relaxing fairy tale with a lot of replayability via different character/class combinations. Not so much narrative-focused -- don't go in expecting an epic story or deep characterization.

Oct 27, 2017

YAzymud

HNnxMhu.jpg

GumqswE.jpg

KhRoJOv.jpg

I like the color palette but the character designs are trash and very emblematic of the Square's overly designed characters at the time. I much prefer the simpler character designs of Trials.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hard mode is a walk in the park, then suddenly you reach the boss that does constant AoE around the (small) room, wtf lmao
The following one was much easier.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
After playing in hard mode, I think it's pretty reasonable. Enemies actually do damage and you need to use items compared to normal. The AI is a bit dumb still sometimes, but if they were too good it'd probably be too easy. I'm really liking Riesz class strike for wiping out mobs in an AoE. I'd say there are maybe too many golden statues but that just reduces the need to micromanage your health constantly with candies that are extremely cheap and easy to find.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I had the issue too but the "easy fix" is to just plug the VR headset off. If it's not on, it doesn't try to send sound to it, and it's fine. Annoying though so hope they fix it but I can live with it for a few days.
Ah right, there used to be a setting in steam VR to pick if sound auto changed to the headset when VR was started. Kind of a pain though. Turning that off means manually setting the device each time you do want to use the headset.
Alright, thanks guys. It seems quite a nasty bug, I didn't had that when the demo was released so I guess it's a VR Steam patch that caused that. Did you tried with the full game if the issue is still the same?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

its contemporaries back in the day were Ys and zelda

now arpgs (i.e. rpgs without turn based) are the "norm" the distinction doesn't stick out quite as much

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
About to start this, so just to make sure, we need 3 playthroughs to get the full story, one with Duran + Angela, one with Hawkeye & Riesz and one with Charlotte & Kevin. The third character doesn't matter, correct?

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
About to start this, so just to make sure, we need 3 playthroughs to get the full story, one with Duran + Angela, one with Hawkeye & Riesz and one with Charlotte & Kevin. The third character doesn't matter, correct?
To follow up with this, does it also matter who you select as your main character? Is it just a different prologue?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
To follow up with this, does it also matter who you select as your main character? Is it just a different prologue?

Who you pick as your main character determines the prologue, the mid-point dungeon, the final dungeon duo and which group of villains/bosses you end up facing at the end. If you pick Riesz, Duran and Angela in that order, you'll be playing Riesz'/Hawkeye's story with Duran and Angela merely coming along for the ride.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
How much of a difference to the story does it make if you make a party with no story pairings? Ex: Duran, Liesz, Charlotte.

Oct 25, 2017

YAzymud

HNnxMhu.jpg

GumqswE.jpg

KhRoJOv.jpg

Jeez, yeah, it's beautiful.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Also, the game will let you (optionally) play the prologue of the other characters you chose when they first join your team. So you can get caught up on the opening of their personal plotlines and how they came to join your company.

But yea, stick to the partners I guess and the third character is largely flavor or to fill out a combat role. This way you can see it all in three runs I think.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone also noticed areas where there is no background OST? I can't tell if this is intentional or a bug.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok I just finished playing 8 straight hours on PS4 Pro.
First thing I will say is I'm glad this game exists and it's a love letter to Mana Fans (tm)
I read some reviews yesterday and 1 said that on PS4 Pro it was locked smooth 60fps no matter how crazy things got on the screen. I can confirm that is absolutely false. While it is smooth sometimes, it is also VERY stuttery in many places, both indoor and out. Surprisingly I do'nt notice any issues while in battle, but just running around and it's really noticeable.

--The graphics are nice, if a bit simple but this is a huge update over the first game's horrific remake a couple years ago.
-- The Battle system is new and fast paced fun. Adding a dodge mechanic adds a lot to the moment to moment gameply.
--The new music is just pitch perfect. Nothing crazy was done with most tracks, they are just elevated from the orchestra or whatever they did the remix with. It sounds great.
--Unless I missed something, I still can't find anywhere in the menu that states what each stat does. That seems important, and the stats are different from the SNES game so I honestly don't know how I should be spending Training Points as I level up. I keep getting notifications after acquiring a sprite that I can use the Training menu to spend points and unlock element specific abilities and spells, but at level 15, my menu has 3 items under each of the stats that you can learn as you place points into. Example: Strength. For 2 points you get +5 strength, 4 points is some ability that sound underwhelming, and then at 6 points you get +5 strength. I do not see ANY new spells or abilities added after getting sprites, like the game is telling me. Am I missing something obvious regarding the skills, and is there a stat breakdown in game that I missed? Really, the tutorial has been very basic and not super helpful for me which is surprising.
--Voice Acting (English) is just awful awful bad. I do'nt know what they were thinking with this one but the first 2 sprites sound like overacted caricatures and it hurts to hear them talk! Charlotte is also insufferable with her baby waby baby talk. I'm going to keep it on English but wow this is not just "ok" it's baaad. A couple main characters have been ok. Well, Hawk has been so far at least to me.
--I'm amazed at how faithfully the game has been turned 3D. The areas hew closely to what I remember from the SNES. It's really cool, and keeps the spirit of the original alive.

This sounds negative after re-reading it but even with everything listed above I give the game an 8.5 right now. I love it. There are areas that could have been improved to make it better, but the foundation is solid, and fun, and soaked with nostalgia.

Eternium

Apr 8, 2020
My copy is still in transit from Amazon but I'm so excited for this game. Anything I should know as a newcomer aside from what's in the OP?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
--Voice Acting (English) is just awful awful bad. I do'nt know what they were thinking with this one but the first 2 sprites sound like overacted caricatures and it hurts to hear them talk! Charlotte is also insufferable with her baby waby baby talk. I'm going to keep it on English but wow this is not just "ok" it's baaad. A couple main characters have been ok. Well, Hawk has been so far at least to me.

one of the only negatives i culled from the demo... VA is just absurdly awful. felt like i was watching an anime dub from 1995 except they're in on a joke

i found it amusing in its own way til Charlotte. i know this isn't FF7R but dear lord did they go low rent here

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
How much of a difference to the story does it make if you make a party with no story pairings? Ex: Duran, Liesz, Charlotte.

Just means you don't get a real conclusion to their backstories. The story arc and villain you face off against is based on your first character, meaning a party like that would only see Duran's story resolved ultimately. The reason why you often pick two characters of the same arc is because ultimately they have the same end goal of fighting the villain and there is bonus dialogue and content when they're both in the same party (at least in the original).

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean personally since the beginning was so easy I decided to kinda ignore defense gear and focus on attacks.

Needless to say the difficulty caught up with my ass rather quickly. I don't mind it though !

Also turning off the mini map makes it feel like an actual maze which is very reminiscent of the original but less convenient obviously haha. I'll probably turn it off for fun runs once I'm more familiar with the world.

Regarding VA, budget and some of the artstyle, I think the problem stems from the will to not cut anything out of the game, and it was a huge game in terms of content and systems to remake.
But very objectively, going from Secret of Mana to this is rather insane in terms of quality jump, they clearly listened to feedback as they stated, so if they get to make Seiken Densetsu 5 with this as the "base", it can only lead to something amazing imo.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Yeah, it fixes the VR Steam launch but not the sound, like I guess the sound is trying to be output from the VR headset. Let's hope it will be ok with the full game, I'm not too keen to start the Oculus each time I want to play that game, moreover it seems to kill the fps (around 20fps drop).
The issue is still here with the full game. Even unplugging my VR headset don't fix it. I really don't know what to do at this point...

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Are NPCs worth talking to? One gave me an ability but I feel like all the rest just say something pointless.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really mind the voice acting so far. I tried both English and Japanese, both felt kind of budget-y but nothing that made me cringe.

It's weird to hear this kind of dialogue through voice actors though. It still feels like extremely basic SNES-era dialogue, but presented with voice acting. I don't dislike it, it just feels different!

So far I'm really liking the game, and the fact that it's really true to the original while still feeling adapted to modern consoles. My first run is with Riesz - Hawkeye and Kevin.

Depending on how this goes, this might be one of those games I decide to go for the Platinum.