• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean even enemies, the first ones do nothing basically, and then in the dungeon, they are more agressive, have AoEs, etc..
I think it's a progression thing.
It's a shame they added all the mechanics for the boss for them to have no purpose in this current difficulty, maybe New Game + cranks things up ?

Like imagine going into that fight with Class 4 LOL
There's a good chance it could go Legend of Mana on us and have 2 tiers of New game+.
i liked how that game handled stacked difficulty : 1st encounter is as hard as the last boss of the previous difficulty.
No future was looking at you like
images

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
-Switch performance is rough. Somewhat long loads, and a sluggish overall feel. Framerate just feels like it is constantly trying to keep up. Not unplayable, but it constantly feels like the game is running beyond its means. Slight discomfort that you can acclimate to, but never goes away.
You should state whether this was docked or handheld.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
This game is incredibly fun. The English voice acting is hilariously charming. Really loved the scene with the two ninjas? trying tricking Riesz brother into stopping the wind. The visuals are great and the music is pretty good so far. My major gripe at the moment is the difficulty. Hard Mode mas as well be Easy mode. I'll wait and see if there is either a patch for a new difficulty mode or if someone make a mod for the PC version.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Will probably avoid the Switch version. Handheld mode drops resolution way too often. Docked it's not really better. Seems like PS4 would be the choice here.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
-Switch performance is rough. Somewhat long loads, and a sluggish overall feel. Framerate just feels like it is constantly trying to keep up. Not unplayable, but it constantly feels like the game is running beyond its means. Slight discomfort that you can acclimate to, but never goes away.
The Switch version actually has faster loading times than the PS4 version:

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
The enemies definitely need to be more aggressive. They act like they're still in the old combat system where players had to wait between attack swings. Feels like I swing ten times for every one of their attacks. If hard mode is just enemies doing more damage it's going to be disappointing.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Switch version looks really good if you are not THAT bothered with resolution. I'm still waiting for the steam version to see how it plays before deciding.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
PC demo is up.
store.steampowered.com

Trials of Mana on Steam

Trials of Mana is a modern revival of the 3rd game in the seminal Mana series. The game, originally released in Japan as Seiken Densetsu 3, has been fully rebuilt from the ground up in 3D.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yea I went with Hard Mode and it's piss easy
Also the first thing I did was remap light attack to X and dodge to O

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did they hire the voice actors from Chaos Wars for this game?

I suggest playing it in Japanese lol. Some of the English line deliveries are possibly actually phoned in. Doesn't help that the pacing is slow as hell in cutscenes. Fun fact, the Japanese voice actor for Hawk is Josuke from JoJo Part 4, and Louis from Beastars.

Overall I'm really enjoying it on Switch (Docked), played with Hawk and Riesz a bit. Will probably pick up around launch, the game runs pretty smoothly outside of some cutscene load-in.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Demo definitely sold me. Only decision is whether I want to go PS4 or Switch. I'd really like to play this on the go and don't mind the 30fps on Switch, but the PS4 version looks really, really nice.

Oct 28, 2019
Pop-in is very noticeable at first on the Switch (handheld mode) but I enjoyed the game so much I quickly forgot about it half an hour in. The game runs and looks decent other than that. I wasn't bothered by the expected lower resolution or the lower framerate. Framerate seemed to be stable, although this is obviously in the early hours of the game.

Game looks great artistically and is very colourful. Combined with the brilliant soundtrack it makes for a very cheerful experience.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Man I love the gameplay in this. But you guys are right, the enemies are a bit too easy and should do more damage at least

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got the demo on Switch and I'm usually not demanding framerate wise but...

First, this.

Then this. The game is cute, I wouldn't say GORGEOUS though. But the framerate makes it look very laggy. Definitely giving it another shot on PS4 but I'm disappointed, I really wanted it to be my handheld spring blockbuster :(
Which mode are talking about? It's super solid in handheld mode.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
So much of this is so good. It had its claws in me from the opening sound effects. The map layouts for "iconic" stuff like the cities, chefkiss.jpg. Forget the dancing shopkeepers, they got the bed textures. A flawless 120 fps is glorious, the third person camera feels great, the moderately explorable environments and breakable items are a fantastic addition, the jumping is floaty but in a good way -- the sort of gamey movement that you'll just run around mashing constantly for no real reason, the new systems seem great, etc., etc., etc.

But also, I hate Riesz. And I want to love Riesz. Bil&Ben are so, so perfect. The villains all hit the spot, really. Eliot was great in the brief glimpse. Even the King was good for his short stint.

(All Japanese VO, probably the only game I've ever opted into it)

But Riesz, ugh. Beyond the outfit, which makes me dislike running behind her, pressing evade with her, watching cutscenes and not being onboard with the camera decisions and not knowing if its intentional or just an inevitability of the design, she's simultaneously the hardened valkyrie captain of the elite guard, and also runs around everywhere shrilly fretting with a babysoft helpless-girl expression glued to her face. Is it so much to ask that she just be like, a little bit of a badass?

Please understand that when I use hyperbole and say that I hate anime, I don't really mean that I hate anime. I mean that I hate stuff like this. Seeing her and Duran's character trailer was enough, but after seeing them do Riesz like this, I really don't want to even go near Angela.

Hawkeye seems to be killing it though.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
The Switch version is running with the following graphical settings and runs at around a constant 33fps in both modes:

Docked dynamic 900p, max 900p min 630p
Handheld dynamic 720p, max 720p min 468p with further graphical cutbacks compared to docked

Boost mode is utilised to improve speeds on loading screens with CPU during boost mode maxed out at 1785MHz and GPU dropping to 76.8MHz . All in all seems to be another fairly well optimised Unreal Engine game for the Switch!

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving the aesthetics of the game. Game looks great at 4K. I just hope they fix the LOD in this game. Things seem to pop up on the screen way too late. It's kind of jarring. Other than that, the game performs really well.

The game could be a bit more challenging, but I'm going to go with this just being the opening levels of the game.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Something is reaaally off about the movement of the character in the Switch demo. I'm playing Hawkeye right now and it constantly feels like he's walking on ice slightly gliding around. The diagonal movement is horrible, while vertical and horizontal movements are meh.

Is this how it is supposed to be?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
This could've have 2p support imo

The actual fights are already gated with the escape circle. So there can 2p support for "only in active battle" the way it's set up.
yea...I wouldn't be surprised if it's added 6-10 months down the line. At least for battle. Isn't that how Tales does it?

edited

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Can you get the third character in this demo?

It cuts off right before your third character joins you, though if you really want three characters during the part that's featured in the demo you should pick Charlotte as your third character. (if you chose to include her in the playable party, she'll join when you first meet her in the cave)

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
oh god im never going to be able to play a charlotte party in any language

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Yeah the difficulty is super easy in the beginning of the SNES game too. It ramps up in complexity and difficulty after you get your first class change.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No real ultrawide support on PC though, no surprise there really, it just stretches the game which makes it look pretty awful.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably pass on this after playing the demo, at least for now. Good music/graphics, but I dislike the characters and the story seems super basic. Combat is kinda fun but way too easy, even on hard. Voice acting is comically bad in English, probably the worst I've heard this gen. Guess they had a really tight budget. It doesn't seem like a bad game, but I ain't paying 449NOK for this in 2020. Will wait for heavy discounts.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Played a little of this last night on PS4 Pro. Looked very pretty and the gameplay felt smooth. I'm surprised the game is so actiony. I expected like one standard melee string for each character, so imagine my surprise at seeing light and heavy attacks, charged heavy, a couple of short combo strings, and helm breakers. The dodge is insanely good and I can't believe you can air dodge. Very awesome!

My only complain is that the demo makes my PS4 Pro's fan really kick up, mostly during the cutscenes. Wasn't expecting that, either.

Last edited:

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I'll probably pass on this after playing the demo, at least for now. Good music/graphics, but I dislike the characters and the story seems super basic. Combat is kinda fun but way too easy, even on hard. Voice acting is comically bad in English, probably the worst I've heard this gen. Guess they had a really tight budget. It doesn't seem like a bad game, but I ain't paying 449NOK for this in 2020. Will wait for heavy discounts.
When you pick it up later for discounts, the story goes way darker and fucked up as you get closer to the end

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually running this game at 60FPS. The 120fps mode has really bad frametimes which created a stutter fest for me. I'll look into it later.