• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We have a problem.

They made Hawkeye far too cute and he knows it.

d827bd133fe20830cf3586513cb2ab4b.jpg

3a8d20c6bc05d6f0a064ba9de46d6ae3.jpg

5b8291d0b804f065212d95b04df3636f.jpg

He keeps posing for the camera..

Also it's pretty nice that you can dodge in mid air and that attacking of dodge gives you the dash attacks.

And god bless lock on.

A few important features of the OPTIONS :

- Button remapping

- CAMERA ZOOM

- Dual Audio / Dual OST

- Turning off mission prompts (for those that don't want a GPS)

- Turning off menu prompts (showing the controls on screen)

- Difficulty setting (Very easy, easy, normal, Hard)

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Slaythe, do you think graphically the game does well compared to Dragon Quest XI (same engine, similar artistic vibe etc.)

?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
So I created an Australian PSN account and it's downloading now... hopefully it lets me play it lol, I'm not sure how this region stuff works.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaan, this game looks AND sounds so good, let's pretend Secret of Mana Remake didn't exist because this blow it out of the water.
I'm so so happy by how it turned out! When one of your favorite game get the respect it deserves!
And yeah the Switch version is pretty good so far.
Starting with Angela (main) / Duran / Hawkeye as my first main story path.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm really liking it, such a pleasure to revisit the world in 3D! The gameplay isn't anything special, but it's not too bad, it's should be great once you learn new abilities.... But damn even in hard, the game is way too easy! Yeah i know it's the beginning but it wasn't that easy on snes

- Turning off mission prompts (for those that don't want a GPS)

Sadly this just turns off the text that tells you what to do, the gps was still there even with that turned off

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Slaythe, do you think graphically the game does well compared to Dragon Quest XI (same engine, similar artistic vibe etc.)

?

I'm not super far.

I'd say that DQXI feels like a really modern take on JRPGs, while this game feels more like they did the 2D game but in 3D.

I don't think that's a bad thing, and clearly they had different budgets and scopes. As far as PC is concerned, DQXI is undoubtedly above in every way. But I think it's a high bar anyway. On consoles, this runs at 60 on ps4, and the simpler geometries means the IQ is a bit cleaner.

eC9S4wi.png

laQCIKy.jpg

tXEMl10.png

6uXtd9R.png

3xN1bsT.png

2SHmpwa.jpg

9dDaj88.png

Cz51niy.jpg

xyvrchd.png

I think it's pretty cute overall, while being very classic. But it's the kind of classic that has disappeared for decades so in a way I guess that works, hah.

Sadly this just turns off the text that tells you what to do, the gps was still there even with that turned off

Ah damn.

Well you can always turn off the mini map ;p .

Last edited:

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the demo. Love what I've played so far.
  • Picked Angela, Hawkeye and Charlotte (just so I could see her backstory since the demo ends so soon) for the demo. Think I'll swap out Hawkeye for Duran for when the remake comes out since that was my party for my first play-through of the original.
  • Love the new cut-scenes and 3D locales. The cut-scenes remind me of old PS2 JRPGs so make of that what you will. They feel so nostalgic for me though.
  • You can tell there's budget constrictions but it feels like the developers were able to work around them very well. There's some roughness here and there but not in a detracting way.
  • The original game only had like...three actual treasure chests in the whole so it's really weird finding treasure in the field now. So used to each dungeon just feeling like a gauntlet on replays so this is definitely an upgrade.
  • Definitely going to play on hard for the real game because that boss went down super fast without any training. Enemies didn't seem to pose much of a threat either. Hope the full game brings it.
  • Want this out now! Can't believe it's still a month away. AC, RE3 and FF7 will fill out the time in the meanwhile luckily.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
The remade intro is so nostalgic. They remade it in a perfect way, the feelings.

The beach parts are beautiful.

I tested Switch version, there are lots of textures poping, I do not care, but I know there will be people that are going to care.

Combat is smooth, changing different attacks, but I expected a harder challenge, I know it is the beginning, so.

Approved.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first run, it took me quite a bit of time cause I wasted time killing everything and experimenting.

My thoughts :

- UNZOOM THE CAMERA TO MAX

- The game is really pretty in gameplay, even if it is somewhat basic at times

- It feels like they transposed the 2D game into 3D, which is not a bad thing in itself but strange for a full remake, I personally liked it, it retains charm

- The gameplay felt loose at first but it's actually pretty fun and satisfying

- I liked that you can cancel out of the floaty jumps with a dodge, and holding a direction after dodge + attack gives you the dash attacks, Hawkeye can spin from corner to corner it was pretty fun to keep attacking the enemies in the dungeon that AoE you by doing this

- The stats upgrades (and abilities they unlock) do make a difference that can be felt during gameplay, I really liked that.

- It was really easy even on hard, I think I read on some JP site that you can unlock a harder one by beating the secret boss (not sure), but I'm also certain things will get tougher after you beat the literal first boss

- Turning off the mini map gives an experience a bit closer to the original, having to find your way through exploration

- I think the flashback versions of the prologues work really well... which contrasts with the playable prologues which I think are the weakest part of the game (only did a couple)

- I think the artstyle and the direction of the game are at odds with each other sometimes and it's a very strange thing to witness (which leads to some cutscenes absolutely not working)

- Some concessions here and there, I think the game got a LOT better the second it opened up, it's strangely relying on its gameplay and progression more than I thought it would.

- OST remastered is fire so far

Some screenshots on top of the ones posted above :

GqWH3wn.png

ZxbgUfC.png

Kedyd3m.png

YwiCeLS.png

96TpGJV.png

BUXcSMG.png

aFqk25M.png

1YjOp8w.png

yKZh3kX.png

5cjpm9L.png

SemtM7A.png

gZyd8Md.png

LK9o2bp.png

The remade intro is so nostalgic. They remade it in a perfect way, the feelings.

The beach parts are beautiful.

I tested Switch version, there are lots of textures poping, I do not care, but I know there will be people that are going to care.

Combat is smooth, changing different attacks, but I expected a harder challenge, I know it is the beginning, so.

Approved.

I noted the prologues have very poor polish compared to everything else that came right after. For instance, they did fix the texture pop in on the wolf guy in the city but not in the prologues. I believe it may be because of the sheer amount of unique things per character and they focused on what is common to all of them.

I had a long list of gripes after doing Hawkeye's prologue, and almost all of them went away by the time I finished the demo, so yeah.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is as close to a dream game as exists to me. Those environments look amazing—so nostalgic yet modern.

I can't express how glad I am that this one seems to be turning out well. The Mana series as a whole tends to disappoint me greatly, yet its highs—at least in my opinion—are so high that it is still one of my favorite series.

Question though: I already ordered the physical version on Switch, but I will definitely also pick up a digital version. Are the differences in frame rate and resolution enough that I should think about grabbing it on PC or PS4? Otherwise I'll just double dip on Switch.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is as close to a dream game as exists to me. Those environments look amazing—so nostalgic yet modern.

I can't express how glad I am that this one seems to be turning out well. The Mana series as a whole tends to disappoint me greatly, yet its highs—at least in my opinion—are so high that it is still one of my favorite series.

Question though: I already ordered the physical version on Switch, but I will definitely also pick up a digital version. Are the differences in frame rate and resolution enough that I should think about grabbing it on PC or PS4? Otherwise I'll just double dip on Switch.

PC is going to get rid of every single technical shortcoming this has, so if you can get that, I'd get it.

But we should be getting the Steam demo sometime today ! So let's check it out first.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I'm playing through now find the gameplay to be really fun. Anyone know if you can still grab an early full party with charlotte as your third?

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the first boss on hard with no damage taken. Don't remember the original being this easy for sure.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Damn game looks graphically appealing as hell on the Switch in Undocked mode. Game could be one of those games you cuddle up in bed and play. Have a PS4, PC and Switch. I'll get this game instantly on Switch, though the PC could provide pure eye candy.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
As irrational as it sounds, playing this makes me retroactively angrier about the Secret of Mana remake. This remake is just on an entirely different level.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Damn I can't even pick my character at the start, they all sound cool and have nice designs. What are the story pair-ups again? I'm thinking either Angela, Kevin, or Hawkeye for me, with the Angela/Riesz and Charlotte as the support picks.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
AH FUCK I'M PLAYING THE DEMO AND GETTING SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER GOOSEBUMPS. They've literally remade everything just like the original

I'm going Duran (as Ashodin), Hawkeye, and Angela. It's how I always played it.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
God damn wheres the PC version demo. I need to see if this supports Ultrawide. Oh yeah, i seriously hate seeing barrels and boxes i cant break in games. This game and final fantasy 7 remake angers me with that.

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Any idea when the demo is going up on Steam?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
played about an hour of the demo. I'm liking it but holy wow this game is SO hit and miss that it's baffling. like the 2d and illustrations look fantastic, the menus and ui are great, most of the characters look really good. but the animation is.... lacking hard. like, janky as fuck. like confusingly bad. and the environments are cool to see in 3D but quality wise are also on the lower side of the budget. Very happy with the music though, I love that it offers the original OST if you want, but the new one has sounded awesome so I kept it at that. It's been really interesting going through the remake. I do like the quality of life stuff like giving me directions on where I should go next, it's just a nice time saver compared to getting lost all the time. I haven't checked yet if they're optional though.

also, the english voice acting is hilarious in both bad and good ways. like, I'm surprised that it's at least not completely bland, even if I wouldn't call it good. The intros are pretty lengthy but give a good overview of the story, at least enough to get me on board. Just switched to handheld towards the end there and man I much prefer it on the switches actual screen vs the TV. something about the fidelity at that screen size is just much more appealing.

Not entirely sold on it but I am enjoying it!

edit: also i fucking died when I saw the shopkeepers doing their dance. it's incredible.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Do we know if its the first one you try or the last one that you can carry over to the full game? It changes who i do first because i wanted to do everyone's opening

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't much care for the overly dramatic and cliché JRPG story beats this is obviously going for, but do love the arty style and combat system. I think I might be in at launch.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I can't even pick my character at the start, they all sound cool and have nice designs. What are the story pair-ups again? I'm thinking either Angela, Kevin, or Hawkeye for me, with the Angela/Riesz and Charlotte as the support picks.
I had the same problem with SNES game. LOL.

I'm just gonna roll a dice to randomly pick my party but I really wish the game had some kind of built-in random party builder.