• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Today is the day that Steven Donziger might be released from house arrest for the crime of attempting to hold Chevron accountable for catastrophic environmental damage in Ecuador.

For those who don't know. Donziger helped over 30,000 farmers and Indigenous people in Ecuador successfully sue Chevron for intentional illegal waste dumping. The plaintiffs were awarded $9.5 billion.

In response, Chevron sold all their assets in Ecuador and fled the country, then sued Donziger in New York. Chevron claimed that Donziger bribed the judge who oversaw their case. All evidence for this alleged bribery came from another Ecuadorian judge who later fully recanted their statement after it came out that Chevron had paid him $12,000 dollars a month and helped him and his family relocate to the US.

Despite this, the judge who oversaw the case in NY, Lewis Kaplan, ordered Donziger to pay 800,000 dollars to Chevron, and charged him with contempt when he refused to give Chevron his laptop and phone. When the Southern District of New York declined to prosecute Donziger for contempt, Kaplain appointed a private law firm that had ties to Chevron to prosecute the case.

Despite only being charged with a misdemeanor, Donziger has been under house arrest for more than a year, a completely unprecedented punishment.

The trial to determine whether or not Donziger will be released from house arrests is happening today.
I'm leaving a lot out of the OP, but if you want read more about the case, The Intercept and The Nation have fantastic write-ups:

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/29/chevron-ecuador-lawsuit-steven-donziger/

https://www.thenation.com/article/activism/steven-donziger-chevron/

This is one of the most clear-cut examples of a private corporation, using the US justice system to personally destroy someone who stood against them. It is infuriating and deserves more mainstream coverage.

(OP by the magnificent doomspore)

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Wow... hadn't heard about any of this. There are times where it becomes almost too depressing to think about how many people have had their lives ruined by companies that are effectively above the law. It's not going to hurt Chevron, but I'll drive right past them the next time I need to fill up.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally a little bit of justice in this case! Dude got absolutely fucked by big corps and nobody has covered it :(

If this had happened in Russia it would have been all over CNN and MSNBC

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess if you had to pick a year to get sketchily thrown in house arrest, that was the year to do it, so at least there's that

doomspore

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks so much for the OP Scottt! Ever since I heard about this case I cant stop thinking about it. Glad other folks are learning about it

Edit: While I hope he's released today, I don't actually think there's been an official decision by the court. Is there a way to get the title changed to reflect that it's still up in the air?

OP
OP
Scottt

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for the OP Scottt! Ever since I heard about this case I cant stop thinking about it. Glad other folks are learning about it

Edit: While I hope he's released today, I don't actually think there's been an official decision by the court. Is there a way to get the title changed to reflect that it's still up in the air?

It seems I'm not able to do it myself. Maybe a moddy with the body can clarify the title

OP
OP
Scottt

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Slayven

I've been reading some more about what Donzinger has been put through by both Chevron and the judicial system and it is absolutely abhorrent.

From a Salon interview with Donzinger last year:

It was called the 'Amazon Chernobyl' by locals and experts. They dumped 16 billion gallons of toxic waste. They did it deliberately to save money. This was unlike the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico, which was a terrible accident, even though it was a product of horrendous negligence by BP. This was done by design to pollute, knowing that people would die, and that indigenous groups would be decimated, and that this beautiful part of the Amazon would be destroyed."

The refusal to abide by even minimal environmental regulations saved Texaco an estimated $3 on every barrel of oil produced over 26 years (1964 to 1992), according to Amazon Watch, or an estimated extra $5 billion in revenue. The hundreds of waste pits the company eventually abandoned in Ecuador, on average, contain 200 times the contamination allowed by typical global standards.

Chevron corporate emails state they have been pursuing a long-term strategy to "demonize" Donzinger, manipulated a documentary about the issue to avoid responsibility, and have put billions into swaying news industries and governments to support them. (link)

The judge, Lewis Kaplan, is a precise embodiment of the corruption of the judicial system.

-He decided to pursue litigation himself, while holding stock in Chevron (link)
-The firm Kaplan hired also had Chevron as a client
-Kaplan/Chevron's case was knowingly based on false testimony
-"Kaplan also violated the established random case assignment protocol to personally assign Judge Loretta Preska, a member of the right-wing Federalist Society, to hear the case. Chevron is a major donor to the Federalist Society." (Salon)

And, of course: Kaplan ordered that Chevron did not have to pay anything. Jesus christ man.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I heard about this case on Chapo. The whole thing is such a miscarriage of justice on all fronts, it makes it hard to face reality when evil people with money can pull shit like this :/

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Heard about this on Chapo. Fuck Chevron.

Nuremberg trials for oil and gas please

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
He's been sentenced to 6 months in prison even after the UN ruled his detention illegal. Fucking vile.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I wish I was surprised. But Eco-Terrorists Environmentalists have been on the receiving end for a long time.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Not even a credit for time served under house arrest. They really came after this guy. I was kind of wryly laughing when he posted about the UN condemning his imprisonment. Like yeah bud, that and $4 will get you a cup of coffee.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even a credit for time served under house arrest. They really came after this guy. I was kind of wryly laughing when he posted about the UN condemning his imprisonment. Like yeah bud, that and $4 will get you a cup of coffee.

the judges are literally on chevrons payroll it's a mockery of the law. I think chapo did an interview with him that exposed this fraud