• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Your answer may reveal a lot about the way you approached the prior weekend. According to our research in progress, making one small mindset change — treating your weekend like a vacation — can increase your happiness. And unlike taking a more traditional vacation, this emotional boost doesn't have to be expensive or time-consuming.

My colleagues Colin West, Sanford DeVoe, and I came to these conclusions over the course of several studies. First, we looked at the effects of actual vacations on hundreds of thousands of Americans by analyzing the subscription-only 2014–2016 data from the Gallup U.S. Daily Poll. We found that individuals who prioritize vacation are significantly happier: They exhibit more positive emotion, less negative emotion, and are more satisfied in life.
To do this, we ran an experiment among more than 400 working Americans over the span of a regular weekend in May 2017. The intervention was simple: On the Friday leading into the weekend, we randomly instructed half of the participants to treat the weekend like a vacation. The other half, serving as a control condition, were instructed to treat the weekend like a regular weekend. That was it. How they interpreted the instructions was entirely up to them. Everyone was left to do whatever they wanted during those next two days.

When participants were back at work on Monday, we followed up with a survey measuring their current happiness (that is, their positive emotion, negative emotion, and satisfaction). The results showed that those who had treated their weekend like a vacation were significantly happier than those who had treated it like a regular weekend. This effect held when we controlled for the amount of money they reported to have spent. Thus, without taking any extra time off from work and without needing to spend any additional money, the simple nudge to treat their time off like a vacation increased their happiness when they were back at work on Monday.
How did treating the weekend like a vacation can boost happiness? Yes, the "vacationers" behaved somewhat differently: doing less housework and work for their jobs, staying in bed a little longer with their partner, and eating a bit more. These differences in activities, however, weren't responsible for their increased happiness. Instead, treating the time like a vacation seems to have shifted people's mindset. Specifically, the vacationers were more mindful of and attentive to the present moment throughout their weekend's activities.

For example, two women — one in the control group and one instructed to treat her weekend like a vacation — reported making breakfast on Saturday morning. The first woman reported doing so with enjoyment: "Made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. It's my favorite!" The second woman took her enjoyment one step further: "I woke everyone up with pancakes this morning. It's something I like to do when we are on vacation. I found myself enjoying the morning more than usual, maybe it's because I focused on staying in the moment." The difference between the women's experience is subtle, but crucial. Even though their activities and behaviors were largely the same, it was the second woman's attention to the present moment — her mindset — that produced the subsequent effect on happiness during the rest of the weekend and the following Monday.

Why does this mindset shift have such a powerful effect? Research shows that slowing down and paying more attention to your surroundings, the activity at hand, and the people who are involved allows you to enjoy the activity more. Without ruminating on the past or getting distracted by anxieties or fantasies about the future, increasing your attention to the present moment makes you more sensitive to the pleasures that are already in the environment. It helps you savor experiences and life a bit more.
One word of caution: Given that the vacation mindset and resulting happiness stems from mentally breaking from routine and the day-to-day grind, this intervention cannot itself become a routine. Treating every single weekend or evening off from work like a vacation might cause a reduction in its cognitive and emotional impact. We recommend saving the mental vacations for when you really need the break.

When used judiciously, however, this simple reframing allows you to enjoy some of the happiness from a vacation without taking additional time off. Our experiments suggest that your mindset is more important than the activities you take part in, or the amount of money you spend, when you're not at work. So between weekend errands, soccer practices, and birthday parties, try to notice and appreciate the time you do have. Treating this time like a vacation can provide a needed break from the typical grind, allowing you to appropriately savor moments spent at the soccer field or gathered around the dinner table with family and friends. And when you do head back to work, you're more likely to feel refreshed and ready to tackle your week.
https://hbrascend.org/topics/treat-your-weekend-like-a-vacation/

Was trending on LinkedIn.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
How did treating the weekend like a vacation can boost happiness? Yes, the "vacationers" behaved somewhat differently: doing less housework and work for their jobs, staying in bed a little longer with their partner, and eating a bit more. These differences in activities, however, weren't responsible for their increased happiness. Instead, treating the time like a vacation seems to have shifted people's mindset. Specifically, the vacationers were more mindful of and attentive to the present moment throughout their weekend's activities.

I'm gonna stop reading right here and call: Bullshit.

Doing less housework, staying in bed longer and eating more was not responsible for increased happiness? Instead it was because they were more mindful?

Fuck off did it.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doing less housework, staying in bed longer and eating more was not responsible for increased happiness? Instead it was because they were more mindful?

Fuck off did it.
Doing nothing productive, staying in bed, and eating a lot can very easily be a bout of depression instead of a relaxing day.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
That's a no from me dog. I got shit I need to get done during the weekend that I cant during the weekday. I'll just take more PTO and treat a vacation like a vacation

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing to be mindful, it's another to normalize stressful, precious lifestyles.

This ain't the first one they seem to be arguing for.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a weekend, I have two days off to get errands done. Which is sometimes not enough.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Fuck off did it.

All of those things would just make me annoyed and stressed at the amount of work I'll need to do at home over the week.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having a positive mindset makes a difference. If you are in this thread complaining about your shitty life isn't maybe you should instead think about trying something new, like the advice in the OP. It might be crazy and it might not work... or it might work and you can stop spreading negativity in every topic on this message board.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a positive mindset makes a difference. If you are in this thread complaining about your shitty life isn't maybe you should instead think about trying something new, like the advice in the OP. It might be crazy and it might not work... or it might work and you can stop spreading negativity in every topic on this message board.
I might need a vacation from this place

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Boss: "I want you to treat your weekend like a vacation!"
Also Boss: "I need you to come in this weekend."

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Very interesting article - I think it makes sense. Instead of treating weekends as the buffer between work weeks, try to really use them as a way to separate from them.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say the reactions in here are kinda hilarious.

BUT I'll also admit that "just a change in mindset not a change in activities" can lead to a more happiness is not clearly actionable insight as many people struggle to do exactly that. I think maybe someone else asking you to treat it like a vacation maybe triggers a difference in behavior than trying to do it yourself.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wow at shitting the on the idea of changing your mindset being a bad thing.

Theres several TED Talks on this very subject and how you can actually reprogram your brain to look for the positive things in your life rather than dwelling on the negative, which will improve your overall wellbeing significantly. It's easy to do, you just have to be open to trying it instead of enjoying being a miserable shit heel for a change.

It has significantly improved my overall health and my current relationship is much better because I am more appreciative of my s/o's kindnesses rather than taking them for granted.

Nov 26, 2018
I just got told by my boss we're too busy for me to do important errands during the weekday these next weeks. I can't get them done on the weekends. Not to mention weekends are the only time I get a chance to sit down and fully concentrate on my grad school work.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Feels great when there's an announcement that saturday will be a workday so we get to finish up some orders.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say the reactions in here are kinda hilarious.

BUT I'll also admit that "just a change in mindset not a change in activities" can lead to a more happiness is not clearly actionable insight as many people struggle to do exactly that. I think maybe someone else asking you to treat it like a vacation maybe triggers a difference in behavior than trying to do it yourself.
No, it's perfectly actionable. It's just easier to complain about things that the article isn't even about, I guess.

Nov 8, 2017
How did treating the weekend like a vacation can boost happiness? Yes, the "vacationers" behaved somewhat differently: doing less housework and work for their jobs, staying in bed a little longer with their partner, and eating a bit more.
Why the fuck are people doing work for their jobs outside of work time!? Most people are probably doing 40 hours a week already. Do people really love working that much? As much as I like my job, there's never been a time where I couldn't think of something I'd much rather be doing than work.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of something I once read by a former slave. Before he was freed, his master gave him Sunday as a day off, but he was so tired and traumatized by the abuse that all he could do was sit under a tree and stare forward like a hiding animal. He wanted to plan an escape or educate the enslaved children, but just couldn't.

After emancipation, when he got a real job that respected him, he found he was far busier on his days off, but felt far more satisfaction. The real job didn't grind him down, but gave him energy because it fed his sense of pride.

Anyway, I don't know if this is related or even appropriate, but it really reminded of this old story.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow at shitting the on the idea of changing your mindset being a bad thing.

Theres several TED Talks on this very subject and how you can actually reprogram your brain to look for the positive things in your life rather than dwelling on the negative, which will improve your overall wellbeing significantly. It's easy to do, you just have to be open to trying it instead of enjoying being a miserable shit heel for a change.

It has significantly improved my overall health and my current relationship is much better because I am more appreciative of my s/o's kindnesses rather than taking them for granted.
Yep, it's good stuff. The science of gratitude is also great.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Hmmmm....think I'll try this.

(Blows $1,000 on food and entertainment on Saturday and Sunday)

Nevermind, I don't think I can afford this every weekend. Seriously though, we have to do everything on the weekend we can't do during the week, but we still try to enjoy ourselves.

Oct 27, 2017
I take issues with this entire article. Not because I think the concept of shifting your mindset doesn't work - I know there is evidence to suggest that simply approaching something with a different mindset can alter how you react to it. Instead, my problem is that it's a bandaid solution that fails to understand why or even engage with the reason why it's being suggested in the first place.

This paragraph bothered me:
The problem is that Americans are really bad at taking vacations. Research shows that compared to workers in the European Union, Americans spend more hours in the office each week and take less time off. Part of the reason is that the U.S. is the only industrialized nation without legally mandated vacation — one out of four employed Americans receive no paid vacation days at all. But Americans don't even use the few vacation days they are allotted: More than 50% of Americans leave their paid vacation days unused each year.

It approaches the reality of labor in the US, there being no mandated vacation time... but it then skips the second half of the problem and decides to put blame squarely on the workforce for not taking the vacation they have. It completely ignores an environment where workers are put in position where they are actively punished for taking vacation. Whether directly or indirectly. Large workloads, understaffing, guilt from superiors, threats of firing, or limiting of promotion/raises. It doesn't happen to everyone across all industries - but people in power have created an air of doubt in the average workers mind that they simply can't take time off because it will negatively affect their position.

When the entire article is based on an assumption that "Americans just don't take time off!" and presents a solution to just "think the problem away" instead of actually getting the root of it, it becomes detrimental to advancements to labor rights and protection.

It all feels like an article written by a middle manager and passed around to the staff who spend their weekends too tired to do anything and get anxiety when they want to take time off.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
My worst day of vacation is the day before I have to go back, so that takes out Sunday. I agree this sounds like some management propaganda with "work harder during the week and take a two day vacation on us!"

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I take issues with this entire article. Not because I think the concept of shifting your mindset doesn't work - I know there is evidence to suggest that simply approaching something with a different mindset can alter how you react to it. Instead, my problem is that it's a bandaid solution that fails to understand why or even engage with the reason why it's being suggested in the first place.

This paragraph bothered me:

It approaches the reality of labor in the US, there being no mandated vacation time... but it then skips the second half of the problem and decides to put blame squarely on the workforce for not taking the vacation they have. It completely ignores an environment where workers are put in position where they are actively punished for taking vacation. Whether directly or indirectly. Large workloads, understaffing, guilt from superiors, threats of firing, or limiting of promotion/raises. It doesn't happen to everyone across all industries - but people in power have created an air of doubt in the average workers mind that they simply can't take time off because it will negatively affect their position.

When the entire article is based on an assumption that "Americans just don't take time off!" and presents a solution to just "think the problem away" instead of actually getting the root of it, it becomes detrimental to advancements to labor rights and protection.

It all feels like an article written by a middle manager and passed around to the staff who spend their weekends too tired to do anything and get anxiety when they want to take time off.
May I ask why you think the article is presenting itself as a substitute solution to the underlying problem it clearly and honestly acknowledges? Furthermore, I'd take issue with assuming that this article is only targeted at Americans. I'm certainly not American and live in a country with good labour laws with mandatory leave but I still found its recommendations to be useful.

Since this is like the 10th time someone has suggested this, no - just because I saw it on linkedin doesn't mean it was posted by my manager or that I'm a manager. Just because it's the HBR doesn't mean any information stemming from it is useless junk targeted at managers. But it's clear to me that ERA does not care for such sources and I'll take note of that for future threads.

Oct 27, 2017
May I ask why you think the article is presenting itself as a substitute solution to the underlying problem it clearly and honestly acknowledges? Furthermore, I'd take issue with assuming that this article is only targeted at Americans. I'm certainly not American and live in a country with good labour laws with mandatory leave but I still found its recommendations to be useful.

The beginning of the article lays the groundwork and attempts to justify itself by telling the reader that Americans don't have as much vacation time as other countries... but then also makes it a point to tell the reader that they also don't use the time they do have. It makes a point to explain the first part, but not the second. By ignoring the second it's inherently started off on the wrong foot and implies that there's nothing else wrong with labor in the US and if Americans just thought their problems away we'd be perfectly fine.

I don;t think it's doing it maliciously but it's a fairly ignorant article that wants to view the subject superficially but offers a very broad view of the problem.

As for it's target - I think the fact that it goes to such effort to explain the plight of the US worker, it implies heavily that it's mostly targeted at them.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
LinkedIn is such horseshit. can't believe we allowed it to get popular. "Facebook - for your professional life!" uh yea no thanks

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The beginning of the article lays the groundwork and attempts to justify itself by telling the reader that Americans don't have as much vacation time as other countries... but then also makes it a point to tell the reader that they also don't use the time they do have. It makes a point to explain the first part, but not the second. By ignoring the second it's inherently started off on the wrong foot and implies that there's nothing else wrong with labor in the US and if Americans just thought their problems away we'd be perfectly fine.

I don;t think it's doing it maliciously but it's a fairly ignorant article that wants to view the subject superficially but offers a very broad view of the problem.

As for it's target - I think the fact that it goes to such effort to explain the plight of the US worker, it implies heavily that it's mostly targeted at them.
The second point is not ignored, it's just not the focus of the article. In fact, they link to a separate study with trends on American vacations directly in the article. This study states the top challenges in Americans taking vacations:
Work-related challenges had the most influence on Americans' ability to vacation. Employees who were concerned that they would appear less dedicated or even replaceable if they took a vacation were dramatically less likely to use all their vacation time (61% leave time unused, compared to 52% overall). Those who felt their workload was too heavy to get away were also more likely than average to have unused vacation time (57% to 52%), as were employees who felt there was a lack of coverage or that no one else could do their job (56% to 52%).
Alleviating the barriers in the workplace rests on creating a positive vacation culture. With nearly four-in-ten (38%) employees saying their company culture encouraged vacation, there has been improvement in employees' perception of their company's level of support for vacation (compared to 33% last year).

The other barriers had far less influence on vacation behavior. When asked about the barriers to taking time off to travel, unsurprisingly, cost is at the top. However, the respondents who agreed that cost was a barrier take about the same amount of vacation time as average (53% leave time unused, compared to 52% overall). Everyone has a budget—the variable is how large. Where 71 percent of overall respondents said cost was a challenge, that number drops just slightly to 68 percent for Americans with household incomes over $100,000 annually.
Other top challenges also had little impact on vacation behavior. While children, pets, and the logistical hassles are felt by many Americans, the experience of travel makes overcoming those challenges worth it, as evidenced by their vacation usage being the same or close to average.

Oct 27, 2017
The second point is not ignored, it's just not the focus of the article. In fact, they link to a separate study with trends on American vacations directly in the article. This study states the top challenges in Americans taking vacations:

I think not addressing it directly in the article does a disservice to their point. It's directly relevant to the point their trying to make and leaving it out paints the entire situation in a different lite.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
My friend does this, but genuinely and non-ironically. We all poke fun at him because on a Saturday he'll be like "I'm on vacation!" It's hilarious, and we all poke fun at him and tell him it seems like a shitty, short vacation.

But there is something to be said about a mindset shift that creates a greater separation from work, and to not waste those moments.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think not addressing it directly in the article does a disservice to their point. It's directly relevant to the point their trying to make and leaving it out paints the entire situation in a different lite.
I think reading their clear acknowledgement about the lack of mandatory leave in the US as a contributing factor to workers not taking leave (along with a reference with more information on this subject for those interested) as them blaming the issue on workers and damaging worker movements and labour rights is deliberately cynical.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
There's only so much you can min-max before this stops working. I already try to get chores done during the week and not bring work with me, I try to make sure I have stock of enjoyable snacks and relaxing activities I like for the weekend, but at some point the "satisfaction" of preparing and giving myself a positive mindset can't overcome the crushing obnoxiousness of working way too much.

Also, you could probably do a study on how enjoying a weekend more makes the work week itself more crushing and brutal to go through since you change extremes.

We work way too much and don't get anywhere near enough time away, especially in work cultures like Japan/USA where you are a lazy loser letdown for even suggesting you want to use your PTO for something other than doctor visits.

Oct 27, 2017
I think reading their clear acknowledgement about the lack of mandatory leave in the US as a contributing factor to workers not taking leave (along with a reference with more information on this subject for those interested) as them blaming the issue on workers and damaging worker movements and labour rights is deliberately cynical.

I have said that it likely isn't their intent, but yes - that's how it comes off in the text in my opinion. They setup "Well, Americans don't get as much as others" and then follow up directly with "...buuut they don't even use what they got!". IMO it's irresponsible because someone could easily cherry pick that, IG: Middle Managers, and have it used to blame the problems on the workforce and not on the people who create the environment. Simply linking to another study instead of addressing it directly in the text is irresponsible.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I treat every day of my life like a vacation

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I shouldn't have made that LinkedIn comment in the OP. Can't imagine ERA is a fan of HBR either.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer treating my vacations as weekends. Much less things to think about.

Vacations tend to revolve a lot around voyages and planning of said voyages. If you spend your time sleeping and playing videogames as a regular weekend, you are much more rested at the end.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Weird how vague instructions can really change your point of view.

I wonder whether I do this already because I'm not unhappy and don't really care about Mondays. Plus, my wife and I go out to dinner and treat the weekends as "Special" sort of. Of course, I also mow the lawn, do house work, used to do freelance etc. But I enjoy mowing the lawn. I'm looking forward to the spring specifically to mow the lawn.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Weird how vague instructions can really change your point of view.

I wonder whether I do this already because I'm not unhappy and don't really care about Mondays. Plus, my wife and I go out to dinner and treat the weekends as "Special" sort of. Of course, I also mow the lawn, do house work, used to do freelance etc. But I enjoy mowing the lawn. I'm looking forward to the spring specifically to mow the lawn.
Yeah that's the part which got me. A change in attitude can be triggered by such a simple instruction. I do think ultimately that probably played a big role in people actually being able to shift their mindset. Doing it of your own volition may not be as easy.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know about you guys, but I usually clean my bathrooms and tidy up my house during my weekend vacations. And do a lot of dishes.

But yeah, sometimes this is possible.

This article basically advocates for the buzzword of the current decade: mindfulness. Being present in the moment and savouring everything just a little bit more. I agree with this and think mindfulness can be an incredible tool to deal with life and to view life through. However, it doesn't automatically erase legit shitty situations.

This article can also be used to give employers another excuse not to give vacations. "Hey, this weekend is your vacation! You telling me you need more than 2 days EVERY WEEK to rest?!"

Last edited: