• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Killer7 released a lifetime ago. Its cult status is disconnected from any review back then. It's an unusual work by all metrics, a rare exception in his career and the industry as a whole. He's released many more titles after it than before; my position is that everything he's done since No More Heroes (both games) was under-cooked, lacking in gameplay or derivative of himself. They got average or bad reviews, because they didn't deserve any better, as original or ballsy as his writing/setting tends to be.

I do like them, maybe someone here even loves them. It won't change how unpolished they were, and if there's any doubt on that, we should just go a few years back and check what people (not the press) said about them on release.
You realize this is the first game he's actually directed since No More Heroes 1 right?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why the hell are people talking about shadows of the damned?
the game wasn't a Suda directed game, same with Killer is Dead.
Heck NMH2 wasn't either...which explains how safe the game was.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was like "I should read the spoiler, I wonder if it's.... Yep that's it". I don't see the "wow" factor people are talking about but I hope those unspoiled enjoy it.

The actual game looks like a sale for me, love the style of it but the gameplay looks terrible.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
You're telling me there's no group of people that like the game enough to claim that it is any good?
heck NMH is a legit commercial success so it would the less cult classicky of the bunch.

Whoever the hell go into Suda games expecting pinpoint polished gameplay hasn't been following at all.
No, what I'm saying is that NMH2 lack what made the first a classic loved by a niche (same happened for Killer7).

NMH2 is more polished and have some very good boss but it misses the satirical message of the original.
IMO NMH1 is a masterpiece because the whole game was designed around its meta narrative.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the bottom reviews on MC, this game is lucky Ars Technica, Eurogamer, Kotaku, and Tired Old Hack don't have numerical scores in their reviews, lol.
Scullion's review was positive though. He said he absolutely loved it, but finds it hard to recommend.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
No, what I'm saying is that NMH2 lack what made the first a classic loved by a niche (same happened for Killer7).

NMH2 is more polished and have some very good boss but it misses the satirical message of the original.
IMO NMH1 is a masterpiece because the whole game was designed around its meta narrative.
NMH2 is a different beast from NMH and it isn't liked for the same reason as NMH1.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not a cult classic, there's stuffs to love about the game too.
It doesn't stand up to the standard of NMH or Killer7 but that's about it.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Solid scores in my opinion, specially if you consider :
- It's a Suda game.
- It's a smaller scope game compared to previous entries wich would lead to inevitable comparisons/frustrations.
In the end I just hope it successed enough to justify a true sucessor to the main NMH series!

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
You realize this is the first game he's actually directed since No More Heroes 1 right?
Did I say anything about his position on projects he's known to have worked for? I don't think I did. Besides that, he's certainly listed as executive or creative director in other games after NMH 1, including its sequel (search for it on Gamasutra, Imdb, Wikipedia, etc). He's been involved in every game released within his company. If only to not seem so negative, I'll give him credit for producing Sine Mora and co-directing FF: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Im sorry but those are not good scores for Suda's return to directing. Especially doesnt seem worth it for a 30 dollar game either.

Even mega man 11 felt a bit expensive for 30 bucks but it was at least a high quality product. The least Marvelous could do for us now is help port NMH1 and 2 over and see after those games if 3 is worth funding.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Did I say anything about his position on projects he's known to have worked for? I don't think I did. Besides that, he's certainly listed as executive or creative director in other games after NMH 1, including its sequel (search for it on Gamasutra, Imdb, Wikipedia, etc). He's been involved in every game released within his company. If only to not seem so negative, I'll give him credit for producing Sine Mora and co-directing FF: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.
Just saying. The only Grasshopper games with cult status and that are held in high regard are the ones he both wrote and directed.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually reviewing a abit higher than I'd anticipated. Might be a 'wait for a discount' kind of game.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews seem decent. Hmm....should I keep my preorder...

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's just gonna come down to how much you like NMH and Travis. If you love them, I don't see how this game isn't gonna be worth it. If you don't, this probably won't change that. If you haven't played NMH, maybe proceed with some caution. But you could end up loving it. A lot of what makes it great is the sum of it's parts, rather than a specific thing.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Reading the bottom reviews on MC, this game is lucky Ars Technica, Eurogamer, Kotaku, and Tired Old Hack don't have numerical scores in their reviews, lol.

for those who didn't look on mc, here's my review at Ars: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...h-may-already-have-its-weirdest-game-of-2019/

If the game's eight-hour runtime (which doesn't count returning to levels to find secrets) had been sliced in half, I'd be more likely to recommend any random passer-by flip through pages of text, confusedly laugh, and then enjoy a few sensational, memorable battles. Instead, I urge casual action fans to steel themselves for lousy pacing, disappointing co-op, and surprisingly fun text. If Suda51's singular sense of humor is your cup of tea (or, in this game's case, your bowl of ramen), you will likely forgive these lapses—and particularly appreciate some of TSA's crazier reveals.
Otherwise, consider following Suda51's lead and just playing Hotline Miami again.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I think that's overstating it a little. He has never been able to save bad or average games for me. Even the first two NMH are just okay.

I love Suda games. I don't think he saves games because I love his perspective. Art is not about the individual pieces, it's about how it works together. Suda's games connect for me. So it's not something I can overstate. It's just how his work hits me.

Why the hell are people talking about shadows of the damned?
the game wasn't a Suda directed game, same with Killer is Dead.
Heck NMH2 wasn't either...which explains how safe the game was.

I wouldn't call NMH2 safe especially when half the fans of 1 seem to dislike it. I don't think the style to the main story was an expected take after what he did with the first.

Also Suda's voice is apparent in all those games. His direction matters, and his why people are excited for TSA, but he has a clear strong voice that comes through all his projects, whether directing or not.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strange opposing reviews, but excited non the less. Going to have to wait unfortunately.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt Suda51 made anything that could be considered good.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There are also games where it clicks and you're like "oh...thats how this works, yeah this sucks!"
That sounds like you're describing NMH2 minigames....
I wouldn't call NMH2 safe especially when half the fans of 1 seem to dislike it. I don't think the style to the main story was an expected take after what he did with the first.

Also Suda's voice is apparent in all those games. His direction matters, and his why people are excited for TSA, but he has a clear strong voice that comes through all his projects, whether directing or not.
Compared to NMH1 it felt fairly safe, the combat was a refinement of NMH and the minigames were more gamey to make them more enticing.
The story is full Suda so of course it's ballz2theWalls crazy.
I feel like the game he directs are far more experimental and trying to make some kind of statement through gameplay that is not so readily apparent in games he doesn't direct.
Kinda like the difference between a Bay directed movie and a movie Bay produces but does not direct.
Of course it may seem like total hogwash nonsense to someone else (for me it IS for the example I've given with Michael Bay btw).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Spoken like someone who's never played Killer7 or Silver Case.
I played Killer 7, it's alright. Of the Suda51 stuff I've played, probably the only one I thought had something. Although I tried to play it again recently and couldn't get past the awful shooting controls. The rest can't be saved by his quirky, weirdo style. Shadows of the Damned is one of the worst games I bought on the PS3.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I played Killer 7, it's alright. Of the Suda51 stuff I've played, probably the only one I thought had something. Although I tried to play it again recently and couldn't get past the awful shooting controls. The rest can't be saved by his quirky, weirdo style. Shadows of the Damned is one of the worst games I bought on the PS3.
Shadows of the Damned wasn't by him either.
(That said, I did enjoy it.)

Oct 25, 2017
I love Suda games. I don't think he saves games because I love his perspective. Art is not about the individual pieces, it's about how it works together. Suda's games connect for me. So it's not something I can overstate. It's just how his work hits me.

Are you sure this isn't just a case of people giving him too much credit for anything he's attached to. Because people do that A LOT with names they like.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Just saying. The only Grasshopper games with cult status and that are held in high regard are the ones he both wrote and directed.
Well, that's an opinion as I might have mine. Personally, I remember seeing lots of love (or at least positive discussion) for Shadows of the Damned and Sine Mora in the old forum. He did co-write Shadows, yet if we were restrictive about his functions, he was only executive director... In the end, I think he's one of those "auteurs" who trespass an specific role. When he's somehow involved, people come to expect certain qualities. I believe they're right in this case, as he's influenced all those projects, even if he shared or delegated some responsibilities. But that's possibly a different conversation, for another topic.

What I said is that he's worked (in a position or other) at many games. Some of them reviewed better, while others got a cold shoulder. So perhaps it's only me, but I don't share the narrative that Suda/GH games get this treatment regardless of their execution. The games I mentioned a few pages back, they all have merits, yet they also had big problems and reviewers took notice. Who knows if any of them becomes a new classic in a few years? Nothing's written in that regard.