• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
If Mondo is canon to NMH then I assume this takes place before he becomes lord of the moon.

UshioRulz

Nov 30, 2017
Hi, I don't want ro read anything of this thread because I'm hoping to play this soon but... are you people liking it? I'm a Suda and NMH fan if that counts.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
All you can hear so far is through this channel, but it's not a gamerip, more like recorded from the switch https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTL3nFXVX7bWbHup4lhQsNA/videos

Yeah, even if you have no knowledge of Suda's lifework, you can still understand what he's trying to say. But a lot of them never took the time to engage with this game.

No matter, TSA is great because it does what it wants to do, not what it needs. This is what I call a real Suda game
Yup. TSA is Suda in his element precisely because it is uncompromising in its vision which is exactly what I wanted and I hope this energy transfers onto his new project. With Grasshopper projects like Killer is Dead, Let It Die and Lollipop Chainsaw, I got the feeling that they were produced more due to financial motivators rather than conveying some sort of meaningful message to the player. With Grasshopper in the past, they were never really pressured into creating more mainstream hits but rather avant-garde games which pushed the boundaries of the medium which I believe is best embodied in Killer7 and its development process. Mikami practically had to protect Suda from Capcom execs who weren't too hot on the title and even Suda recognises that Killer7 is a zeitgeist that will never be captured again in the sense that they'll never be able to make a game that's so out there with a decent budget ever again, especially in this industry. TSA from announcement to launch feels like this especially when you take into account the immediate backlash when "fans" found out this game wasn't another rehashed NMH game with another shitty UAA plot. Replace Capcom execs with "fans" and it is 1:1. Gamers don't want games that do something different but rather something safe and expected. This comes as a result of gaming culture's obsession with game scrutiny pre-launch and how much that can dominate the discourse. TSA pre-release, you couldn't help but have people shitting on the game for it's top-down hack and slash approach which heavily goes against what we're used to. Talking more about public discourse, I really dislike how most discussion surrounding TSA on any site always ends up with people whining that this game isn't what they wanted it to be instead of accepting something new or different. It always boils down to people wanting the older games ported which I have nothing against or NMH3 instead of accepting that this is a new Grasshopper game directed by THE Suda51 in his first directoral role in 12 years. How can you not get excited for that?

You can really get a feel for how disillusioned Suda feels with the industry with the entirety of TSA + him showing up at Devolver Digital's E3 2017 conference which makes a mockery of common industry trends like early access, microtransactions and review culture.

It's been a long time but I'm finally glad we've gotten a new game with Suda in the director's seat. TSA is definitely a return to form for Grasshopper.

Last edited:

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
How to do win the racing game, i'm on the G1 semi final and the guy just takes off on me and wins everytime

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite track by the way is the No More Heroes theme heard during the text adventure. I need this OST and keep searching for it on youtube.
It's damn good but that hip-hop remix of the NMH theme when booting up the DDMkII is...
th

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
How to do win the racing game, i'm on the G1 semi final and the guy just takes off on me and wins everytime
When you reach the blue immediately shift. As soon as you hit max shift use the nitro. I thought I was gonna lose but I was slowly gaining on the guy and overtook him.
It's damn good but that hip-hop remix of the NMH theme when you're booting up the DDMkII is...
th
It has no right to go that hard.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, I don't want ro read anything of this thread because I'm hoping to play this soon but... are you people liking it? I'm a Suda and NMH fan if that counts.

This is better than I could have expected *as a fan*. I think if you want a trippy experience, then it will deliver. If you want a game like Furi that lives and die on its gameplay system then this is not the deepest gameplay you'll find. However, I think TSA really delivers especially when you'll get more chips and you pump up the difficulty. Reviewers saying there is no variety in encounter design were straight-up lying.

Like Mario Kart, you can get a headstart by pressing on the accelerator with the right timing. With this you switch gears when the bar at the top-right becomes blue

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Then I'll give them a try. What are the best to the uninitiated?

TSA was my first SUDA51 game.

You want gameplay and discover what is considered to be his magnum opus ? Start with Killer7, the PC steam port is great
You want to read some genuinely disturbing stories with an insane amount of style that ties up all of his games together ? Play The Silver Case and its sequel The 25th Ward

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. Every single damn song in this game is hot goddamn fire. I'm not certain whether or not it's Masafumi Takada, but regardless whoever did the soundtrack to this game certainly did the series justice.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Jesus. Every single damn song in this game is hot goddamn fire. I'm not certain whether or not it's Masafumi Takada, but regardless whoever did the soundtrack to this game certainly did the series justice.
It wasn't (sadly), but thankfully it wasn't Yamaoka either. Some new DJs brought the fire, apparently.
(I love Yamaoka, but I think his GHM output is mediocre at best.)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

They're two DJs ! DJ1,2 and Kazuhiro Abo. Newcomers to the series I believe.

Very good soundtrack however. I've had this discussion with several friends but it reminds me of the Ghost in the Shell PS1 soundtrack

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
An interesting tidbit is that the cart's software version was 0.1 before the update.
Does anyone know the version of the download one?

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They're two DJs ! DJ1,2 and Kazuhiro Abo. Newcomers to the series I believe.

Very good soundtrack however. I've had this discussion with several friends but it reminds me of the Ghost in the Shell PS1 soundtrack

Very cool to hear. Nice that the new blood on the project really lived up to the expectations of fans.

This game as a whole has been pretty impressive. It's managed to capture a lot of what I loved about earlier Grasshopper titles on what appears to be a pretty lean budget. Combat feels good and isn't any shallower than the other nmh games. People just have hangups about zoomed out cameras.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man. Maybe it's been too long since I've played NMH, and because of that I forgot how funny it was. Or I'm just so happy to be playing another one that I'm extra joyous. Or both. But holy shit this game is funny, like maybe moreso than the first 2. It's killin me at a constant rate. I just beat the boss of the first game, Electric Thunder Tiger 2. "NEVER HESITATE TO ENGAGE IN A TEXT BOX!!"

Man I really wish they'd released NMH1&2 on Switch. Would buy that shit so quick.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm missing a chip somewhere in Life is Destroy but I have no idea where. I got everything else in that level, including both cheat codes and UE4 coins but for some reasons I'm still missing one chip, despite having looked everywhere again. Anyone has a clue ?

EDIT: oh thanks god the OST is finally up on youtube

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh yo, this final game is total bullshit. When does it fucking end man?

The mind boggles as to how they thought this would be a good idea.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
i like how people are saying that don't want to buy this game because its not nmh3 than they say they will skip it and wait for nh3. don't they know that if this game sells bad it wont be a nmh3. but they go pay moeny for ARK survival evolved lol

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
G1 semi-final is giving me a tough time

Edit: and got it...sometimes you just need to bitch on a message board for a second and then go back and beat whatever it was

Last edited:

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Can anybody tell me where to find the second secret character in Coffee and Doughnuts? I've had no trouble finding them up until this point but this one has me completely stumped for some reason.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I love this game's references to what it was like to be a fan of games in the late 80's-90's. The urban myths, the staring at previews in the static pages of a magazine in anticipation of actually seeing what it plays like, what it looks like in motion. I remember looking forward to a new month's magazines to see what cheats would be in it.

I wonder if this stuff is lost on the younger generation playing this game. Maybe 20 years from now some smart ass auteur can recreate the silliness of message boards, YouTube and social media hype for the current generation of people discovering games in our age.
wow...this is everything I wanted and more. Not even my wildest dreams would have delivered any of this.

Travis is probably the coolest character in any video game now, and I didn't even like him that much. It's like he has been giving the spirit of Suda's hopes and dream going forward, and that was a character supposed to start a new beginning for him, with few ties to his past works back in the NMH1 days ! To see Travis going back to almost the entirety of Suda's lifework as some kind of outsider and tying it all up together makes Travis something even more exciting than if it was the avengers.

If NMH1 was hammering the nail about gamers and gamer culture, TSA is like a fucking gatling gun aimed at the game industry and this miserable cycle of shitty ass publishers with no regards to the craft of devs and the media just seeking the next AAA experience to join in on the disease that is metacritic and other aggregators.

Suda gave absolutely no fuck. He went places I didn't expect him to go. Suda was always a nice dude, he would hardly, if ever badmouth someone even if they did bad by him. But this game is like a giant manifesto just stating "this is where I've been, this is what happened, here's what it could have been if worthless leeches didn't prevent me from doing what I wanted to do for years".

This is the best No More Heroes game I could have ever hoped for. I have never seen a designer say things like that with such clarity. This is a one of a kind, this isn't the Suda of before, this isn't the Suda during his dark years of the past decade, this is an entirely new Suda who took upon himself to acknowledge his past, acknowledge where he is, and put it into this game.

I have never been so excited in my life about a video game. This is the beginning of his multiverse, everything put together to start a new beginning with No More Heroes as the new flag-bearer (which is also convenient because it was the series that needed a new start the most because NMH2 started his downward trend).

No More Heroes 3 needs to happen. I'll wait 20 years if needs be. But I don't know what I'd do if NMH3 is cancelled or never happens because people wrote him off (again!) because TSA isn't the game they wanted. TSA is the game that was needed more than ever. No matter what happens, if TSA was the last game Grasshopper were to make, it would have ended perfectly. But I'm hopeful for what comes next. The future is bright
It's that confidence and utter conviction that really puts this game above the other games in the series. Like you say, a good way to put it is no fucks given.

I feel that sentiment is best demonstrated with the entire plotline surrounding Suda's author surrogate - Dr. Juvenile - and the botched development of Serious Moonlight serving as an allegory for Grasshopper Manufacture from 2007 to now.

God, this game is great. It's a game that is undeniably made for fans and so unapologetic about that, I'm not surprised that Suda takes potshots at people disappointed this isn't a No More Heroes 3. The entire premise allows for this self reflection at the industry and the gaming landscape today and is really embodied by the indie spirit of the game from the T-shirts to other stuff. While this kind of meta humour would otherwise be cringeworthy and out of place in other games, TSA lives and breathes this and it works wonderfully.

From start to finish, Suda and GhM had an idea and they absolutely 100% delivered on it. It wasn't what some people wanted but you have to respect that.

Man, I am loving this game so much and these posts nail exactly how I feel about it.

The negative reaction out of the mainstream gaming press has part of me wondering how much is actually there and how much I'm imaginging though. Especially when I see people I enjoy listening to tweeting out their disappointment.

Obviously Ray is taking about TSA and to see it called "Gamer Jokes Incorporated" has me doubting my own take.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I am loving this game so much and these posts nail exactly how I feel about it.

The negative reaction out of the mainstream gaming press has part of me wondering how much is actually there and how much I'm imaginging though. Especially when I see people I enjoy listening to tweeting out their disappointment.

Obviously Ray is taking about TSA and to see it called "Gamer Jokes Incorporated" has me doubting my own take.

From what I've seen, most people I've seen talking about it outside of the mainstream gaming press liked it a lot. It's got a pretty good word of mouth on Twitter at least.
Also, that guy you just linked to seems to have missed the entire point of the game. It's often like that with Suda games.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that guy completely and utterly missed the point. how anyone could see the game's final scene and think "it's just gamer jokes!" is beyond me

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
G1 semi-final is giving me a tough time

Edit: and got it...sometimes you just need to bitch on a message board for a second and then go back and beat whatever it was

I recommend this in general for the game. If a level feels long, stop playing. Do something else for a few minutes or longer and then go back. It's helped me beat a few bosses. Just have to clear the cache.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to G1 Semi Finals and damn is it great to be playing a Suda game again. I think Coffee and Donuts is my favorite of the worlds so far, I loved how the game world is a mix of
a Resident Evil 1 looking mansion and PS1 era side scrolling platformer
. The game as a whole just oozes charm and passion and of course has a godlike soundtrack.

I really hope they can port at least NMH 1 and 2 and Killer7 to Switch, if not the Silver Case and FSR as well.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game will have a fervent base of supporters. I personally think it's on par with Suda's best stuff. I was expecting a 7/10, but this feels more like a 9/10.

I feel like Suda and indie games are in a weird feedback loop in terms of inspiration. I'd like to see what influence this has on indie games in the future.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody tell me where to find the second secret character in Coffee and Doughnuts? I've had no trouble finding them up until this point but this one has me completely stumped for some reason.

This the one that looks like wooden decks? It's very early in a stage. Like a minute or two into it. Maybe one of the 400 levels?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

I think, like a lot of Suda's games, it's the discussion that comes from it afterwards that really shows what could be interpreted and what it really says. Most Suda games at a surface level just seems like big bang theory of gamer dumbassery, but I think what really sets Suda apart is that what he says and do has a purpose. And games like NMH2 (that he hasn't directed fully) shows what happens when this purpose can't be found. There's this Suda things tying it all together that really works.

So I'm not surprised, but I think like every Suda games, it needs time in the discourse to shine

Oct 27, 2017
So can you beat the Death Drive space shooter game inside Killer Marathon? I noticed that if you come back to replay it there are more levels, but I haven't been past round 6 because I suck.

Last edited: