• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
For those that want help finding some of the secrets in the games, go to Travis' trailer and read the archived game reviews.

You can find a few little hints, tricks, cheats and secrets dedicated to that game specifically.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Just been caught out by the GameXplain spoiler on my twitter feed. Pretty thoughtless on their part IMHO. Still have enjoyed the short time that I have spent with the game so far.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Just completed the first level, dicked around the trailer a bit, and completed the first visual novel segment.

The combat has more depth than expected and feels good -- like a solid beat 'em up with some neat skills and progression. The art direction is everything you'd hope for, as are the characters and dialogue, and there are plenty of little trinkets to collect when you stray off the beaten path, much like wandering around Santa Destroy. It's really more content-packed than I thought it'd be -- clever, willing to fuck with the format and full of little surprises even within the first hour.

Basically, if you've ever liked a Suda game or a No More Heroes game, buy it. It's fucking great so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Just been caught out by the GameXplain spoiler on my twitter feed. Pretty thoughtless on their part IMHO. Still have enjoyed the short time that I have spent with the game so far.

I knew about that spoiler and watched the video since I wanted to see it again, and there was another big spoiler in the credits that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Don't be an idiot like me. Don't watch the video.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Chilling in Travis' trailer and the music is A+

Also, the Death Drive illustration in the archives is done by Kozy Ishizaka.

Is that an ISZK reference?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
IZDuQQr.png

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
finished the second game, and I'm actually having a blast so far. The levels are a little too long bit the combat is great and everything is challenging and satisfying. One thing I'm confused on though - how do I input the cheats? I'm playing on a pro controller, maybe I have to input them in a weird way based on how a joycon would be held?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This fucking Visual Novel segment I can't.
Jeane being just as murder happy as her owner and that fucking Deadpool reference lol.

"We did that shit first!"

Though I feel I'd appreciate this more if I was more familiar with Suda's past work. I know there referencing The 25th Ward and stuff but anything deeper then that I'm clueless. Really need to try those games one day.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I guess I'll have to buy this after all these good impressions... how's the music? Is there a lot of hidden stuff to find/ collect?

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I guess I'll have to buy this after all these good impressions... how's the music? Is there a lot of hidden stuff to find/ collect?
music is great, and there's a few different unique types of tokens to spend on new shirts, and well as different skill chips

A question for those who've finished game 2:
I got a fax from Jeane saying she's in the first game. Should I replay the level and find her, or is this just some weird message?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Just completed the first level, dicked around the trailer a bit, and completed the first visual novel segment.

The combat has more depth than expected and feels good -- like a solid beat 'em up with some neat skills and progression. The art direction is everything you'd hope for, as are the characters and dialogue, and there are plenty of little trinkets to collect when you stray off the beaten path, much like wandering around Santa Destroy. It's really more content-packed than I thought it'd be -- clever, willing to fuck with the format and full of little surprises even within the first hour.

Basically, if you've ever liked a Suda game or a No More Heroes game, buy it. It's fucking great so far.
That's the kind of impression I'm interested to hear.
More about the Suda51-ness factor and less about the janky-ness which , duh, I already expect from Grasshopper Manufacturer games.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly it's weird that no reviews (at least the ones I've read) have mentioned the insane amount of miscellaneous references to Suda's older games. This is fanservice taken to a next level.

I think I'm just going to play on easy. The combat is engaging enough on harder difficulties, but there is *so much* combat that I just want to mindlessly mash through
Yeah, same. I think the combat is solid but I find myself having more fun just running around killing stuff. I hate when the game throws 4-5 of those enemies that take ages to kill.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like my order somehow got delayed! And I ordered it from Best Buy, too!

Could it be because of the weather/snow?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Played for half an hour and I like the overall feel of the game. Lots of cool things going on and good humor. I was expecting more saving spots though as some parts lasted longer than I thought it would. Overall its going to be a fun game to finish from my impressions. The gameay is more solid than it looks from vids.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well in the end I had to buy it on a brick and mortar store.
Fucking Amazon didn't send the game.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far, but I could see the combat getting a bit dull by the end.

I want to own every T-shirt in this game.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to stay as cold as possible, but I have one question:
I know Suda has said that this game is also aimed at newcomers to the series, but a lot of the more positive impressions seem to be (as far as I can tell without getting spoiled) enjoying callbacks to the earlier games.

Do you guys think the "good" stuff will apply to NMH virgins too? This question also applies regarding the big surprise, whatever that may be.

Please don't give specifics, though. And maybe still spoiler any comments about the big surprise. Even though I'm just looking for a yes or no for noobs.