• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta admit, the super divisive review scores have made me more interested in getting this day one. I wonder how small the initial print run is? I bet I could go out and pick it up somewhere tomorrow, right?
Nintendo hasn't send enough stock to base.com so who preordeded the game there in the last few days will get the game shipped sometime in the future (at least that's what the email said).

Don't sleep on it if you want the physical version, I doubt the initial print run is too big.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully season passes being forced on you don't become a trend just to get you a physical copy. Pretty bad if it's a needed strategy because of the high cost of Switch cartridges.

You could just as easily think of it in reverse... as a discounted option for buyers of the digital version who don't want the season pass.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Completed the first game

I like it. I can understand why some people would not like it that much, its just a game where you hack and slash away if you look it over quickly. This game is pretty competent though, but nothing in the gameplay department you haven't seen before. However, if you love Suda51, its makes the game somewhat special. Its good old fashioned fun with some Suda51 sauce.

Also, te writing, lol.

After beating the boss Travis has a monologue; I lolled about the part where mentions

This game is so cool, I hope Devolver picks it up or some shit

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo hasn't send enough stock to base.com so who preordeded the game there in the last few days will get the game shipped sometime in the future (at least that's what the email said).

Don't sleep on it if you want the physical version, I doubt the initial print run is too big.

Bleh. I want to run out and grab a physical copy but coin is increasingly tight while I'm on the job hunt.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That first level goes on for a while, huh.

It's enjoyable so far, but I can definitely see the fighting arenas getting old. We'll see!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

"You'll love it or hate it - 7,5/10"

That's an uncommon way to advertise a game

That's actually smart marketing (the quote and the mid way score).
They are implying that it is a divisive game (which it is).
You could adore it or detest it so why not try?

It would be way more humorous advertising a Suda51 game with 9 scores IMO.

Last edited:

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully season passes being forced on you don't become a trend just to get you a physical copy. Pretty bad if it's a needed strategy because of the high cost of Switch cartridges.

It's not the cartridges. This game is small enough that the cartridge cost would be comparable to a blu-ray on Xbox or PlayStation. Physical releases aren't cheap when you have a smaller budget game.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Completed the first game

I like it. I can understand why some people would not like it that much, its just a game where you hack and slash away if you look it over quickly. This game is pretty competent though, but nothing in the gameplay department you haven't seen before. However, if you love Suda51, its makes the game somewhat special. Its good old fashioned fun with some Suda51 sauce.

Also, te writing, lol.

After beating the boss Travis has a monologue; I lolled about the part where mentions
The Suda51-ness factor is what I'm looking for the most.
I wonder how Suda51 fan will rate it out of 5 strawberry on the shortcake.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Soundtrack fits the game, its neat. I'll have to listen more.

Got my first shirts btw

Got the Hollow Knight one and sporting a sweet Hatoful Boyfriend shirt

Edit:

Did I read that correctly? Post first level spoilers

Travis is done with the life as an assasin, so he became one with nature, maybe thats sound like a dick, even more when he left a wife and kid. So uuuuh, he married Sylvia?

Ah we're getting some Suda51 fuckery later

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So far, it's a No More Heroes game. I liked the gameplay in the first level, maybe it was all a bit too long but felt addictive. Loved the writing and the artstyle. The music was as strange as it could get and fitted the level perfectly.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Played the first Level as well, coop with my gf. The hack and slash gameplay is a lot of fun and feels a lot better then I expected after reading some reviews. The writing is hilarious already and I can't wait to play more over the weekend. As a fan of Sudas work and NMH in general I felt right at home.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first Level as well, coop with my gf. The hack and slash gameplay is a lot of fun and feels a lot better then I expected after reading some reviews. The writing is hilarious already and I can't wait to play more over the weekend. As a fan of Sudas work and NMH in general I felt right at home.
This is basically how I feel too. It's really fun so far!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah just gone done with the first level

Loving this so far, really feels more like NMH1 than NMH2 when it comes to the writing which is a great thing

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one. Bought it digitally, hoping it unlocks soon!

Apr 21, 2018
I bought the season pass too. Normally I don't do things like that but I wanted to help support suda 51.

I pre-loaded the game after I saw the Nintendo Minute where he sends his interview video in. After watching that, and reading about the game's little details, you can clearly see the love in this product. I don't care if the gameplay is a little bit shallow, the discount price, co-op, and love from the designers made it an easy choice.

Really hoping this sells well and becomes a success for them.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Really enjoying this so far. The amount of referential humour is fantastic. Even going as far as straight up mentioning
The 25th Ward

God damn it, I love Suda.

Even the music is excellent. Really loving everything about this from top to bottom so far. The text adventure stuff is stupendously ridiculous and I think it's fantastically presented in game.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So I've gotten quite far in now...

I'm convinced this game is the Smash Bros. Ultimate of the Kill the Past universe.

Literally everyone is here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a message from Best Buy that my preorder has been delayed. Why do I feel like this is going to be difficult to get Physically?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of in the mood for Suda's brand of humor, so If this unlocks at midnight, I'll just download it. If not, I might try to pick up a copy tomorrow.

Oct 26, 2017
On the 4th death drive game now. I like nearly everything surrounding the gameplay but the gameplay itself feels like an incredible chore to grind through. Would really be loving this if the levels were half or even a third as long.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
B1SKtOa.png

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
gonna have to pick this up tomorrow! really have been missing this series.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I think just I'll wait for some more impressions from you all. I can handle jank and Suda's brand of crazy but what I honestly don't have patience for are levels that overstay their welcome.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Doesn't seem to be one of those 9PM/12AM eShop releases -- tried it a bit after 9PM PST (long shot, as I think that's usually only the case for Nintendo-published games?). Ah well, looking forward to tomorrow morning. Dodging spoilers like a ninja till then.

REDACTED: It's up.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Doesn't seem to be one of those 9PM/12AM eShop releases -- tried it a bit after 9PM PST (long shot, as I think that's usually only the case for Nintendo-published games?). Ah well, looking forward to tomorrow morning. Dodging spoilers like a ninja till then.
Worked for me a few minutes ago. I'm in Florida. I think it just unlocked a little after midnight

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit I fucked myself out of getting my Best Buy ordered delivered by tomorrow. Smh.

Hopefully I cancel it by Saturday and grab it in a store somewhere. D:

Enjoy the game guys!

edit: So this could in fact be a Best Buy thing? Hm....gonna keep an eye on the developments of that then.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Just played about an hour and a half. It's really fun. I'm actually thought it'd be a lot simpler and easier based on the reviews. There's quite a bit to it with light/heavy attacks, recharging, different specials, and upgrading. It's not easy, I died a few times even. I was surprised by how often the environment changed, I guess I had far lower expectations. The dialog is great and it's got a very deliberate visual style. After playing Gris last night, this game just seems a lot more fun while I take in the ride. Everything is just so weird and out there. I'm definitely happy with my impulse buy, it's a great discount eshop game.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah the first text adventure part is bizarre.

I love it.

Jeanne is such a vicious little cat. But the woman Travis encounters is equally insane.

Woman: "Well fuck this, I'm not gonna fight, there is not enough budget to fit in a sudden bossfight into this part"
Jeanne: "I call bullshit on the budget thing"

The introduction to the second game, its awesome.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you've any interest in the game it's been suggested to avoid reviews of the game. Suda51 has been very secretive about what's included in the game, and from known accounts, the lategame content is especially crazy.

Unsure if other folks who reviewed the game have already mentioned it, but we had pretty specific warnings about what parts we couldn't reveal. (Mine is spoiler-free, if you're curious.)

But as other folks who are in the know have stated in this thread...

I really look fwd to seeing this OT once Suda fans see everything in the game and the ending EDIT: at least one big thing still doesn't appear to have been spoiled

Last edited:

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
I really like the game!

Controls are so good and it's pure gameplay, so fun! Never expected this to enjoy it so much, but it's really good!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I didn't get the chance to pick this up today, but i'll definitely be getting it tomorrow. It's a shame that the post-credits spoilers were posted everywhere; GameXplain just posted a video of it too (with the spoiler in the title/thumbnail).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright game 1 cleared.

So far I'm liking it. Combat is deeper then I predicted and it can be pretty fun.

Using the Shining Chip to throw enimeies into each other is really satisfying.

Guess this confirms the Jeane from NMH1's credits is Travis' kid?

But anyway I'm enjoying the game, hope it keeps up.