• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 936 75.6%
  • Fake

Votes: 302 24.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird 180. Your first post attempts to minimize Travis and the impact of Hip-Hop on greater culture and when I call foul you attack a claim I never made. You and homeboy below clearly misunderstood the "Black Culture" is American culture bit. IDK how but you did.

You poorly articulated your stance in the initial post I quoted. Then made assumptions about WHO I AM. Wild.
I think you just misunderstood what he said. Now you're both at each other's throat for literally no reason.

I kinda feel like you two agree but are talking past one another.
Exactly what's happening.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
People need to chill at this point. Travis is a big name, but there will still be some sectors of the population who would not know him. I'm pretty sure LilNasX is bigger than Travis when it comes to the Western music crowd. Either way, the biggest takeaway is that gaming IS mainstream and encompasses a lot of cultures and subcultures.

Jan 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure folks are misinterpreting HiLife's post and twisting it to be something malicious. All they're saying is that Gaming Side has had an issue with black celebs for literal years. Whether it be Run the Jewels performing at the Game Awards or Travis Scott, there's a weird pride in being out of touch and belligerent, and its definitely been used to mask some not-so-subtle racism.

It's frankly poisonous and reinforces how this forum tends to be welcoming to a certain type of gamer and hostile to anyone else who doesn't fit the mold. Just chill with the rush to hot-takes.
All of this, thank you!

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I understood what he wrote. I've bolded the line I took issue with.

People need to chill at this point. Travis is a big name, but there will still be some sectors of the population who would not know him. I'm pretty sure LilNasX is bigger than Travis when it comes to the Western music crowd. Either way, the biggest takeaway is that gaming IS mainstream and encompasses a lot of cultures and subcultes.

Chilllllllllll

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, Ellen DeGeneres is a much better suggestion
Lets get someone who's embroiled in toxic workplace/harassment allegations to promote the console
Goes to show you don't actually care and just throwing out popular names to prove a point
Someone like Ellen wouldn't even post about it and probably give it to a family member or something. At least Travis love games.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Downplaying what? My beef is with painting Travis, hip-hop, and streetwear as something only minorities rock with. That ain't true. Everybody jocking black culture. It ain't niche.

Certainly seems like it based on his first reply to me.

Idk how you assumed I'm saying ONLY minorities rock it. I'm saying it's black culture, because it is. I'm saying gaming side have a habit of NOT caring about people like this, which they don't. And yes, I've see enough fashion threads between both places to get an idea that people love Leon's coat. Clearly these comments are being misinterpreted by multiple people incorrectly on both ends.

Sep 10, 2020
People need to chill at this point. Travis is a big name, but there will still be some sectors of the population who would not know him. I'm pretty sure LilNasX is bigger than Travis when it comes to the Western music crowd. Either way, the biggest takeaway is that gaming IS mainstream and encompasses a lot of cultures and subcultures.
Lil Nas X seems like a nice dude but what on earth.
You're saying something valid here but that comment is, frankly, ridiculous.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Enough! We agree.

Travis is popping across the spectrum. People on gaming side generally like to downplay Hip-Hop's impact on the greater American culture. The controller is actually a cake.

COOL.

I'M OUT TO PLAY COLD WAR.

Jan 20, 2018
Please refrain from referring to Western music crowd if that is your knowledge on it.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
It's prob real, Tavis is La Flame; real fans know he's a gamer, He just did a deal with McDonald's so PlayStation should not be out the picture CACTUS JACK SENT ME 💯💯💯💯💯

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm a metalhead who primarily listens to hard rock / metal and progressive rock and even I know who Travis Scott is.

If it's not for the promotions with Reese's Puff cereal, the McDonald's promotion thing, or his Fortnite concert. You don't need to be a fan of his music to at least heard of him in some manner.

Although to be honest. In regards to hip hop groups in general. I am out of touch in that regard. I only ever paid attention to the New Jack Swing era of music like Boyz 2 Men, Jodeci, and New Edition. The only remotely rap group I paid attention to when I was younger was A Tribe Call Quest.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm a metalhead who primarily listens to hard rock / metal and progressive rock and even I know who Travis Scott is.

If it's not for the promotions with Reese's Puff cereal, the McDonald's promotion thing, or his Fortnite concert. You don't need to be a fan of his music to at least heard of him in some manner.
This explains why I've never heard of him. Similar music taste but everything you mention is extremely US.

Personally not a fan of influencer/celebrity marketing /privilege but that's what the world is today

Nov 27, 2017
California
StockX prices going to soar to $1000 for a launch system
I wouldn't be surprised if celebrities get the console, nba players love gaming so expect them to stream and shit before November

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Was not expecting this thread to go where it went when I opened it. I haven't been on these forums long tho but based on some of these responses this is normal.
And lmfao at the person saying "could it be someone more famous?"

Sep 10, 2020

Thank you for having common sense and general worldliness while still doing your thing.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
What's up with ERA not being familiar with pop culture? it's not like back then when you had to be invested in it. If you spend even a little time with social media/Youtube or the fucking internet in general, you should know at least know the names of these people.

Like it happens every time a pop culture figure is mentioned here.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Does the PS5 launch games already available for him?

I assume he could only play PS4 games on it right now...

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
It's like some people are proud of being out of touch with modern pop culture and they have to make sure the world knows just how out of touch and cool they are, it's willful ignorance, that is nothing to be proud of it's fucking embarrassing.

I don't get it, it takes one minute for a poster to look on Google and find out if they don't know who somebody is (and who knows, you might even end up being a fan!) rather than post their ignorance on a forum. There must be some cache attached in their mind that doesn't exist outside, like those who like to post 'first!'.

I love 80s electro/early 90s hip hop - it's about 30% of my vinyl collection, but posting how newer music just doesn't hold a candle to it is pretty gross and closed minded. I guess that's always happened though - from acoustic to electric, from keyboards to synths, from 4-track to sampling, always somebody whining that 'the old ways are better!' and that music should never evolve.

The good thing is, you can still listen to your old, favourite music and ignore everything that's new, but keep it to yourself, nobody cares.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
alright, what must a person do to get signed by Sony Music??? I only have one pre order so it would be nice if Sony could send me one if my pre order gets cancelled

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
This is gaming side, a place where people want Ezio tunics and Leon S Kennedy leather jackets. Gamers, at least here, don't care about street fashion. Most don't even care about rap music or black culture at all. They need to come to terms that a lot of minorities play and care about shit like this lol.
lol this whole thread is full of questionable takes.

only minorities listen to travis Scott? They are selling a console not to just the gamers here but everyone. Part of that is hitting each part of the gamer spectrum which yes, even includes people who might be fans of one of the most popular musical artists.

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
Travis has been a marketing machine lately. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony sent him the PS5 early as much as he was posting Ghost of Tsushima on his IG story recently. Iirc he posted TLoU2 a few times as well.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol this whole thread is full of questionable takes.

only minorities listen to travis Scott? They are selling a console not to just the gamers here but everyone. Part of that is hitting each part of the gamer spectrum which yes, even includes people who might be fans of one of the most popular musical artists.

This was already clarified. In no way am I saying only minorities listen to Travis Scott. I don't even understand how people can come to that conclusion when I never specifically mentioned they do. I'm simply saying people a part of the culture enjoy seeing that culture being represented. And that same culture which I've been talking about in this thread is continually downplayed on gaming side (which I also said). No shit more than minorities listen to Travis Scott, he's in goddamn Fortnite, the biggest game in the world. Lmao.