• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I admit it's always been baffling to me how few attempts have been made to copy Smash, especially since it's a platform exclusive series.

The failure of PS All Stars probably scared off any future attempts. No game company can compare to how beloved Nintendo's IPs are - and now Smash has a third party war chest that has turned it into probably the biggest media crossover in fiction history.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is that most people can't tell the difference between an excellent, a good or a mediocre fighting game.
I dunno. Reviewers still gave lower than average scores for stuff like Marvel Infinite and SNK Heroines.

I think it's more that most of the big fighters coming out all meet a certain baseline of quality. We don't really see stuff like WarGods and Mace: The Dark Age anymore because the market for fighters is so much smaller.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Dont really see what Award Tekken should get tbh.

Media Bias dictates that it cant get Overall GOTY, because of reasons.

And no individual aspect of the franchise is good enough to get an Award imo, sound is good, but others do it better, same for graphics, story, characters and mechanics too.

That is of course besides the fact that Smash Trounces Tekken in total sales now that Ultimate is out, and it pretty much always trounced Tekken in per Game sales, since Smash releases much less frequently(6 games vs 20+ games).

Besides, best selling does not mean deserving of awards, the only award best selling really helps with is Peoples choice award, and even then that goes more to games that sell lots on a per unique game basis, rather than a franchise that sells respectably for many many entries.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I admit it's always been baffling to me how few attempts have been made to copy Smash, especially since it's a platform exclusive series.
I know there's Rivals of Aether but I don't see a lot of people talk about it. It even has Shovel Knight as a playable character.

If people want to play "Smash-like" games, they'll just go to Smash since people who like this type of games are mostly Nintendo fans.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
TEKKEN was competing alongside Virtua Fighter, so that didn't help.

TEKKEN 7 deserves a lot of plaudits for having a great soundtrack and game-balance.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
What makes Tekken so special over the 10 other fighting franchises that it deserves awards? It doesn't even have the top sales figure label anymore so it's not like they're ignoring this juggernaut of a franchise in the industry today.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love Tekken, up to 3. I even enjoyed the PS2 versions a lot.

But 720p games on my X I cannot abide.

Fighting games used to be hardware showcases, and in my eyes when they fall short in this department, I feel no pity if they go forgotten.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Tekken 3 was the absolute height of the popularity and relevance of the series. Unfortunately for it, some very strong competitors entered the market shortly thereafter and Tekken's place in the mindshare of FGotY-type circles lost a lot of ground. Also unfortunately for it, it released the same year as Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night, Banjo-Kazooie, Resident Evil 2, and Half-Life.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tekken is f'ing awesome. I'm playing Tekken 7 a lot recently, there's like over 2,000 players on Steam everyday. I'm pretty sure it's the most popular fighting game on Steam.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe an outlet should make them one of those "honorary awards" for lifetime achievement or something.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Sakurai (please debate this in another thread):
wRNcuOZdi-jVaoX2eDh86sKedIVINpu7YmBJEDkWN74.png

Besides that, the ignorance in this thread is astounding. Anyone calling another game more technical than Tekken besides VF and Guilty Gear is literally a casual. Tekken literally has the most style out of any contemporary fighting game. It surpasses everything in animation (even though some are outdated), style, depiction of real life martial arts and imaginary ones, a story that's not convoluted/half serious/funny, CGI, slow motion, interesting characters etc. I don't get the Tekken hate on Era. Some of the reasons I read above made me laugh and sad at the same time.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London

Besides that, the ignorance in this thread is astounding. Anyone calling another game more technical than Tekken besides VF and Guilty Gear is literally a casual. Tekken literally has the most style out of any contemporary fighting game. It surpasses everything in animation (even though some are outdated), style, depiction of real life martial arts and imaginary ones, a story that's not convoluted/half serious/funny, CGI, slow motion, interesting characters etc. I don't get the Tekken hate on Era. Some of the reasons I read above made me laugh and sad at the same time.

Tomonobu Itagaki brazenly disagrees.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

All parts of your comment makes me laugh and sad at the same time.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The truth is that most people can't tell the difference between an excellent, a good or a mediocre fighting game.

For the most part, even if you are well into fighting games and understand what you're looking at, that's pretty subjective anyway.

It's really about what you want from the meta as much as it is anything else, as long as the thing is even somewhat competently thrown together.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
All parts of your comment makes me laugh and sad at the same time.

What a great discourse fanboy (but then again what else was I expecting from certain fandoms). Want to go ahead and give me reasons for your argument besides copying my retort?

Tomonobu Itagaki brazenly disagrees.

Lmao, coming from someone who made one of the most hardcore games and one of the most casual, I don't know where I'd stand.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

This post is incredibly bad

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe coz awards go to the best games and not the best selling ones. And FGs in general haven't been getting a ton of awards in mainstream media ever since the 90s. Infact I have never seen a game outside of RPG,Action Adventure and TPS win the majority of awards.

Tekken 3 has a 97 or something on MC so I guess that got a ton of praise and probably many GOTY awards? Not entirely sure.
But apart from that. Only few FGs have gotten a lot of mainstream critical acclaim.

SF2 - Because well SF2. Possibly one of the biggest video games of all time. Created the standards for the genre..etc..etc

VF1/2 - Tons of acclaim for its advancements in 3D technology.

Tekken 3 - Huge hit on the PS1 and was a technical showcase of the platform.

Soul Calibur - Same as above but on the Dreamcast.

Aprt from that the only other FG I could see in the limelight in recent years was SFIV and Smash.

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what this is meant to imply.

Tekken: 47 million units
Street Fighter: 42 million units

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Yea you forgot the whopping $4bn SF2 made on Arcades in its first year.

Which is probably more than both the franchises put together on consoles and Tekken on Arcades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_video_game_franchises

Tekken isn't even on there.

The actual list is for all time is

Street Fighter
Smash
Mortal Kombat

SF and MK wouldn't have such mainstream appeal with just a mere 40m sales across 3 decades. Their massive popularity in the Arcades of the early 90s is what established them as FG juggernauts. By the time Tekken and VF were out though Arcades were mostly a Japanese thing and slowly dying in the rest of the world.

And Smash is well Smash. It has consistently been the biggest FG after the 90s era.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Wait, I think now with ultimate Smash is the best selling fighting franchise.

Whatever, the point still stands considering Smash also didn't get any award and this is something I complained for so long: these awards don't represent the entire industry.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

This is very true.

I feel like for most reviewers as long the gameplay "feels good enough" , they just do a checkmark on the Gameplay checkbox.
After that the rest of the content and presentation decide the score.

Also its very hard for someone to figure out if an FG is truly great or not in just a few weeks. It takes years for the meta to develop and see how good the FG actually is. This applies to all competitive MP games. And is why most awards go to Single player games.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018

Tekken is by and far my most played fighting game, ultimate is my first smash that I've put more than 10 hours in. It is definitely a fighting game, and a party game in case you are implying it's not a fighting game. The two are not mutually exclusive and "other fighting games" doesn't mean it's not a fighting game, it actually includes it as a fighting game.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with some of it, but stop presenting it like fact and pretending those who disagree know less than you. It's a matter of opinion mostly

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
This post is equally as bad.

giphy.gif

Tekken is by and far my most played fighting game, ultimate is my first smash that I've put more than 10 hours in. It is definitely a fighting game, and a party game in case you are implying it's not a fighting game. The two are not mutually exclusive and "other fighting games" doesn't mean it's not a fighting game, it actually includes it as a fighting game.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with some of it, but stop presenting it like fact and pretending those who disagree know less than you. It's a matter of opinion mostly

Either you can argue with me over an opinion of what Smash is (because quite frankly I don't give a shit and enjoy watching it) or take it up with the creator. Those aren't my words.

As for your second comment, I can see where you might think I'm being in elitist but the dick waving with sales numbers does not make a better game. Also, if you're going to complain about me about opinions why don't you go ahead and do that with most of the thread?

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Smash is an FG. But unlike other FGs i think the vast majority of its consumers play it as a party game( with items ..etc). Hence the gigantic sales. But that shouldn't really affect it being called a FG. It has a huge dedicated scene thats way bigger than Tekken.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think it was a great decision for Sakurai to choose Namco to make the newest Smash games. With Tekken (and Soul Caliber and Tales) under their belt, they really could bring the series out to its best.

And in any case, even if Tekken doesn't get the recognition it deserves, Namco will still get some recognition for Smash. I mean, I think it was inevitable for Smash to overtake Tekken at some point, but now Namco is on the ride, too.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Smash is an FG. But unlike other FGs i think the vast majority of its consumers play it as a party game( with items ..etc). Hence the gigantic sales. But that shouldn't really affect it being called a FG. It has a huge dedicated scene thats way bigger than Tekken.

This is also true. However the game has a huge amount of rules for it to be considered on competitive play. Half the threads I looked at before from the FGC is completely denouncing it from the scene and the other half fighting for it (mostly Smash fans). Most call it a platform fighter. Whatever the case being I'm basing my arguments from the FGC and Sakurai. There is no insidious plot device I came in with like how smash fans are making me out to be the villain. Just observations.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad it's so hard to get into it.
The volume of information you need to have burned into your brain to play several matchups effectively is huge.

It's still a beautiful game to watch.