• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Hey Seattle-ERA.

Going to Seattle this weekend. I'm mostly going to scope out the city to see if I want to move there in the next few months, but is there anything special I should do or visit while I'm there? Restaurants, bars, etc.? Maybe any retro game shops?

There are the obvious things like going to the Space Needle and the Boardwalk, which I'm going to do most likely, but anything else? Oh, anything cool outside the city? I'll probably be exploring around by car on Sunday.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This is good resource:
Seattle-ERA!

Hey Seattle-ERA.

Going to Seattle this weekend. I'm mostly going to scope out the city to see if I want to move there in the next few months, but is there anything special I should do or visit while I'm there? Restaurants, bars, etc.? Maybe any retro game shops?

Pink Gorilla has locations in the International District and the University District.

What kind of food do you like, and what's your budget?

There are the obvious things like going to the Space Needle and the Boardwalk, which I'm going to do most likely, but anything else? Oh, anything cool outside the city? I'll probably be exploring around by car on Sunday.

Get the fuck out of downtown and see the rest of the city. Most tourists tend to stay in the downtown/Belltown/Lower Queen Anne area. The neighborhoods are where the city shines. Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, West Seattle, Green Lake, University District, etc.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Pike Place Market (touristy stuff mostly, but they have a few good restaurants around there)
Pop Culture Museum
The area up near the Canadian border is beautiful (Birch Bay, I believe). It's about 90 minutes from Seattle.
Mecca Cafe is an awesome greasy spoon that's very close to the Space Needle. Go there early as you can for breakfast.

Last edited:

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
Pink Gorilla is retro gameshop in the International District

Go to 8oz Burger for good burgers. its far away better than Dicks Burgers, which everyone will weirdly rave about. Pike place brewery is also pretty great tho it is in the tourist pit of pike place market.

Do not drive through pike place market

Momosan Seattle just opened yesterday, but i've been to the NYC location and if it's the same then it is worth

i mainly do food tours, so here are some other food places to go:
Pie Bar in cap hill (very tiny; just grab some pie)
Lil Woody's (burgers)
Red Mill burgers (i love burgers)
Biscuit Bitch (pioneer square location, biscuits & gravy)
Il Corvo (pasta)
Salt & Straw (ice cream but it's usually packed)
Lunchbox Labs

space needle is crazy overpriced and you could probably lose your life doing a 'Duck Tour'

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Pink Gorilla is retro gameshop in the International District

The University District store often gets better stuff, thank all the starving students who need beer money.

Go to 8oz Burger for good burgers. its far away better than Dicks Burgers, which everyone will weirdly rave about. Pike place brewery is also pretty great tho it is in the tourist pit of pike place market.

Don't go to Pike. If you're downtown and want to visit a brewery go to Cloudburst just up the street from Pike Place. Otherwise I'd recommend Fremont, Holy Mountain, Reubens, Urban Family, Machine House and Seapine.

Oct 25, 2017
Snoqualmie falls is pretty cool to check out and less than an hour from Seattle (traffic pending of course since it's the weekend)
snoqualmie-falls.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I was just there for PAX. Grab some Chinese from Chinatown. It's not as expensive or impressive as other cities but it's still good eats.
Museum of Flight is an easy recommend. They got a fucking Blackbird.
Biscuit Bitch had long lines in the morning but you should go at least once.
Pike's Place was okay and you should probably visit but it's mostly just a large outdoor food market. If you've been to OG Farmers Market in LA, you get the gist. With a gum wall.
Hotdog vendors sell a Seattle style hotdog with cream cheese. Pretty good.

OP
OP
Mass Effect

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What kind of food do you like, and what's your budget?

Idk I don't really have a set budget. I'll say I at least don't want to spend over $600 or so?

As far as food goes, I'll try quite a bit. Im definitely a fan of Asian dishes and Mexican, though I've heard the Mexican food scene is dire in Seattle.

Dec 12, 2017
As a Southern California transplant, I would suggest you avoid anything calling itself a "beach" as that term in Seattle is a joke.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hey Seattle-ERA.

If you are going to the Space Needle, Stop on over at MoPop and the brand new KEXP studios.

You'd have to give us a little more information about what you like to do/eat etc.

If you like record stores, Easy Street Records is a great place to visit.

Food. Check out Un Bein, amazing sandwiches.

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to the Space Needle, Stop on over at MoPop and the brand new KEXP studios.

You'd have to give us a little more information about what you like to do/eat etc.

If you like record stores, Easy Street Records is a great place to visit.

Food. Check out Un Bein, amazing sandwiches.
Speaking of easy street records they were just in the news yesterday

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Idk I don't really have a set budget. I'll say I at least don't want to spend over $600 or so?

As far as food goes, I'll try quite a bit. Im definitely a fan of Asian dishes and Mexican, though I've heard the Mexican food scene is dire in Seattle.

Junebaby and Joule are my favorite restaurants in the city. Mid range but worth it. Delancey makes my favorite pizza in the city, too. I also love The Masonry in Fremont.

Do you have a car or are you relying on rideshare/public transit? I'd suggest either:

1. Get a sandwich from Paseo and take it to Fremont Brewing.
2. Get a sandwich from Un Bien and take it to Golden Gardens or Reubens Brews.

You should also go to a teriyaki shop and eat the official fast food of Washington state.

Check out the Ballard Locks, hike around Discovery park or the Arboretum, walk around Green Lake.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Oh MoPoP has a pretty fun 'Indie Gaming Revolution' area where you can play indie games.

Also there is a Seattle Pinball Museum.

If you are down in the South end, there are some good breweries, museums and a barcade called Dorkys down here.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
For food & drink there's too much to list, but a few walkable clusters of places that I like in different neighborhoods:
  • Belltown: No Anchor (beer focused bar with good food), Jerk Shack, Shiro's Sushi, Shorty's (carnival-themed pinball bar)
  • Capital Hill: Dino's Tomato Pie (pizza & drinks), Kedai Makan (Malaysian food)
  • Ballard: Walrus & the Carpenter, Sawyer—there are a lot of decent places down that stretch of Ballard Ave. in general
  • Ballard (breweries): Reuben's, Populuxe, Stoup, Lucky Envelope—all within a few blocks
  • Pioneer Square (bars): Damn the Weather, E. Smith Mercantile
I also like Westward for food & drinks & views of Lake Union.

Edit: Also Dough Zone for dumplings. Has a bunch of locations.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spinasse for amazing italian while in cap hill. Momiji is great for sushi. The Lookout is a great local digs kind of bar with a nice deck and view, decent food. Sun Liquor for a cool tiki vibe. I don't ever see any reason to get out of cap hill so my suggestions will all revolve around here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Nacho Borracho is by far my favorite bar in all of Seattle, but it kinda depends on what vibe you're into. The other suggestions I see here are also excellent.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
Don't go to Pike. If you're downtown and want to visit a brewery go to Cloudburst .
I've been meaning to check out Cloudburst. I honestly didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago

Dicks most expensive burger is $3.00 and they are open until 2AM. That place is $10+. Context kinda matters here lol

sure, i mean I get it, but i feel i can make that burger myself. Dick's does fill a 'late night drunk food' hole for being very cheap and very fast, but even then, i could probably grab something better, and its sad that it's touted as the premiere burger place of Seattle. but i am particular about my burgers so that's just me.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dick's is also amazing -- even better when it's 2am and you're wasted.

Also head to Broadway and Pike to get a delicious Seattle dog.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I like Javier the Hot Dog guy at the 76 gas station across the street from Neighbors for my late night, buzzed food. Hot dog with Chopped steak, mozzerala, sour cream and jalapenos.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stumbling Monk is also an awesome Belgian beer dive bar. Board games, too. Captain Black's nearby has awesome fried pickles and excellent cheap drinks.
I like Javier the Hot Dog guy at the 76 gas station across the street from Neighbors for my late night, buzzed food. Hot dog with Chopped steak, mozzerala, sour cream and jalapenos.
That's definitely the place to go to get a late night dawg

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've been meaning to check out Cloudburst. I honestly didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago

sure, i mean I get it, but i feel i can make that burger myself. Dick's does fill a 'late night drunk food' hole for being very cheap and very fast, but even then, i could probably grab something better, and its sad that it's touted as the premiere burger place of Seattle. but i am particular about my burgers so that's just me.

I don't think I could make a Dick's Deluxe at home like they do.

I'll never try to claim it's the world's best burger or anything (and honestly, no one claims it's the PREMIERE BURGER PLACE OF SEATTLE. There are better burgers in this city.) but I love Dick's. It's homey. It's the same as it was when I was a kid. It's cheap and fast and always tastes the same. I love going to the one on 45th with my daughter and then hanging out with her at Fremont Brewing.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're on the light rail, Columbia City is secretly pretty cool. Good Hawaiian grub at Super Six, cool little movie theatre, Flying Lion is a solid little one-room brewery. A couple of those bars are good for cocktails, Geraldine's is a righteous diner. Plus there's a Molly Moon's and a Full Tilt for some local ice cream.

It's not the Top Priority Funtimes Neighborhood, but if you're vaguely househunting, it's worth checking out.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Stumbling Monk is also an awesome Belgian beer dive bar.

Shhh. We don't talk about Stumbling Monk.

I need my secret Cantillon hookup.

If you're on the light rail, Columbia City is secretly pretty cool. Good Hawaiian grub at Super Six, cool little movie theatre, Flying Lion is a solid little one-room brewery. A couple of those bars are good for cocktails, Geraldine's is a righteous diner. Plus there's a Molly Moon's and a Full Tilt for some local ice cream.

It's not the Top Priority Funtimes Neighborhood, but if you're vaguely househunting, it's worth checking out.

Don't forget Big Chickie and Slowboat Tavern.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever people ask me what's my favorite bar in the world I always have to pause and consider whether it's the Monk.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snoqualmie falls is pretty cool to check out and less than an hour from Seattle (traffic pending of course since it's the weekend)
snoqualmie-falls.jpg
Hey I live 5-10 min from here! Def recommend doing this. See if you can park at the side of the road area they have. It does tend to fill up. If it's too busy, just go to Snoqualmie and park by the brewery/pizza bowling place and walk.

Would you be interesting in hiking? Many places require a pass (which you can obviously buy) or you can try this. https://trailheaddirect.org/

A free, short, easy, but popular hike would be Rattlesnake Ledge. Parking shouldn't be too big of an issue. If you don't find anything in the lot you can park on the side of the road.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I live 5-10 min from here! Def recommend doing this. See if you can park at the side of the road area they have. It does tend to fill up. If it's too busy, just go to Snoqualmie and park by the brewery/pizza bowling place and walk.

Would you be interesting in hiking? Many places require a pass (which you can obviously buy) or you can try this. https://trailheaddirect.org/

A free, short, easy, but popular hike would be Rattlesnake Ledge. Parking shouldn't be too big of an issue. If you don't find anything in the lot you can park on the side of the road.
I loved the rattlesnake ledge hike. Pic I took a couple years ago from there:
Sxh5oSf.jpg

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
The pop culture museum, near the needle is cool, definitely worth a visit.
you didn't say where you are travelling from? Seattle, has weed shops, which may or may not be a pleasant novelty to you.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017

How is the fall right now? I have noticed that a lot of the waterfalls slow down or stop as we get later in the year.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pop culture museum was alright. Boeing has an aviation museum I wanted to check out but I couldn't swing it.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I was there a few months ago, if your going out for drinks I recommend Belltown it had the best nightlife vibe. Cap hill is all really young peeps uni age only basically. Ballard was kinda stuffy feels like small town Main Street which was cool but not my style. Belltown was a good eclectic mix of people, and funky bars.