• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So just caught wind of this on Twitter:

Transphobic joke from two months back:

There's more evidence of trans people being banned from that server floating around on Twitter - will add when I find them again.

I'm not particularly familiar with the streamer myself. If this topic is inappropriate or not threadworthy, please lock.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Isn't the discord thing enforced by the mods?

Not a fan of Pokimane nor do I care about her, but the first instance seems like it's the mods enforcing it, not her.

Second pic doesn't really have an excuse tho

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First pic is meh (in terms of HER being at fault. The voice shit is fucking disgusting) even if she is, she can just pass blame onto that/those mods and call it a day if the mods dont have proof that she established that rule herself.

But that second picture is pretty fucking gross, nothing to say about that. That's transphobia right there.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Not a fan of Pokimane nor do I care about her, but the first instance seems like it's the mods enforcing it, not her.

Well a mod claims it was Pokimane's idea in the second image of the first Twitter embed there.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The second picture literally says it was her idea, not the mods'. Not really any room for ambiguity here.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's really fucked, and any trans person could tell you it's an awful policy. :(

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This combined with the other stuff that's come out this week hasn't exactly given me the best first impression of her character.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
She was in AOC's Among Us group. Not a good look.....
On who?
She's popular and brought eyes, is all that mattered then going by the people AOC played with then

But now Poki's behavior is getting more and more known and shouldn't be excused at this point if AOC wants to play with her again

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Sounds like a microcosm of the gender bathroom debate; people want some way of sifting out creepy straight male dudes to make safer/more comforting spaces for women (especially since, from what I understand, Pokimane has a rabid following of them). But to do so requires you to "prove" your gender, resulting in people using trans-exclusionary ways of identifying gender.

I wonder if picture verification would have been enough? Is that not how many subreddits handle things? Still obviously relies on subjective assessment of how gender is physically presented, but I wonder if that's better and less exclusive? Does TransERA have more informed opinions about this in the context of digital communities? What might be a better way to go about this? I imagine it's still really contentious to disclose gender minority membership since that can make them vulnerable to prejudice later, too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ah yes, the Cyberpunk 2077 rule of needing to sound feminine to have a role as one. Garbage stuff and as said above - it's always the same joke, every time. Needing to join VC to get a Discord role is sincere wtf lol.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
I always wonder what goes through people heads when doing stuff like this, like do they don't expect it to horribly backfire?

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Streamers are trash and they will always be trash. They play to their target audience and unfortunately they're audiences are most of the time racist, homophobic, and transphobic.

The quicker we stop giving these people the spotlight the better off people will be.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streamers are trash and they will always be trash. They play to their target audience and unfortunately they're audiences are most of the time racist, homophobic, and transphobic.

The quicker we stop giving these people the spotlight the better off people will be.
lol

Streamers will have more and more spotlight, and not all of them are pandering to racist/homophobic/transphobic audiences. Please educate yourself.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Sounds like a microcosm of the gender bathroom debate; people want some way of sifting out creepy straight male dudes to make safer/more comforting spaces for women (especially since, from what I understand, Pokimane has a rabid following of them). But to do so requires you to "prove" your gender, resulting in people using trans-exclusionary ways of identifying gender.

I wonder if picture verification would have been enough? Is that not how many subreddits handle things? Still obviously relies on subjective assessment of how gender is physically presented, but I wonder if that's better and less exclusive? Does TransERA have more informed opinions about this in the context of digital communities? What might be a better way to go about this? I imagine it's still really contentious to disclose gender minority membership since that can make them vulnerable to prejudice later, too.

That would suck too. Not every trans person "passes", or seeks to do so. Not very trans person is even going to have access to clothing that traditionally suits their identity, or a safe environment in which to wear them.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Be interesting to see what happens here, likely transphobic gamers will come out and pile on pokimane because they hate her for other reasons

she has some sort of drama every month somehow it seems, some undeserved but not in this case

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So just caught wind of this on Twitter:

Transphobic joke from two months back:

There's more evidence of trans people being banned from that server floating around on Twitter - will add when I find them again.

I'm not particularly familiar with the streamer myself. If this topic is inappropriate or not threadworthy, please lock.

EjIUUTmWAAs6ZuG

EjIUUTmWkAUOgOA

Interesting that she apologised for her transphobic behaviour with the "attack helicopter" back in September but now gone back to transphobia.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
EjIUUTmWAAs6ZuG

EjIUUTmWkAUOgOA

Interesting that she apologised for her transphobic behaviour with the "attack helicopter" back in September but now gone back to transphobia.
Doesn't really suggest she necessarily understands what is transphobic about the phrase. Good to see she apologised, but I cynically see it as a PR attempt to save face.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
In general terms I like the concept of democratizing celebrity, of fans choosing directly whom they want to follow and enjoy content from instead of from among a list of Hollywood-chosen actors.

But we shouldn't be surprised at all when some of those people, absent any kind of vetting, wind up being assholes. And it's just like meeting people in person: sometimes they don't show their true colors until you get to know them more intimately.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
oh gosh I only knew her from AOC's among us stream. absolutely shameful.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
In general terms I like the concept of democratizing celebrity, of fans choosing directly whom they want to follow and enjoy content from directly instead of from among a list of Hollywood-chosen actors.

But we shouldn't be surprised at all when some of those people, absent any kind of vetting, wind up being assholes. And it's just like meeting people in person: sometimes they don't show their true colors until you get to know them more intimately.
Vetting for morality has never really been involved in who becomes a celebrity. It's why any person a politician chooses to associate with has baggage or is an associate of someone with baggage.

The internet has just made people feel like they now have the ability to social engineer in this way.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
At minimum, her approach to vetting needs revisions.

She could do well with some Trans mods that can help avoid these kinds of likely unintentional fuckups.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Well a mod claims it was Pokimane's idea in the second image of the first Twitter embed there.
The second picture literally says it was her idea, not the mods'. Not really any room for ambiguity here.
"Wasn't our idea, it was pokis idea that girls only"

To me there is some room for ambiguity?

It's the more the mod replying "Trans, girl" afterwards

I don't think it was her idea to ban trans girls in my opinion, need to see what she says and if you'd actually believe her

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
"Wasn't our idea, it was pokis idea that girls only"

To me there is some room for ambiguity?

It's the more the mod replying "Trans, girl" afterwards

I don't think it was her idea to ban trans girls in my opinion, need to see what she says and if you'd actually believe her
yes, it seems very unlikely she would based on her commentary in the past on similar subjects.