• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Please note: For each image block you can click through for more information on the topic or person. I will also be adding blocks over the course of the week including more trans creators. Thank you for visiting the thread, and happy Trans Awareness Week 2020!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
- - - - Simple Version - - - -

Trans Awareness Week!

------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------

What is Trans Awareness Week?

Trans Awareness Week is a week of raising awareness by trans people and our allies, around trans identities and the issues and prejudices we face. It leads up to the Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20th that sees us reflect upon all the trans lives lost over the past year, including a thought to those that go into the dark having the world never known their true identity.

Being trans comes with a lot of challenges but it is also a thing of joy, pride and celebration. This should not be forgotten in the awareness, so as to not only showcase our identities as things of pain.

Additional reading.

------- xox -------

Black Trans Lives Matter

bike-with-yellow-wall-min_-_2020-08-28t111853.976.jpg

I would be remiss to not make a point of highlighting both the Black Lives Matter movement and an acknowledgement of the continuous work that Black trans people have done from the first day through to now in fighting for rights. From Marsha P. Johnson through to the many Black trans people still spearheading campaigns today, they have constantly fought not only for their own equality, but the rights of all of us. All while facing discrimination from inside and outside the community.

We need to do better by them.

Click here to learn more about and donate to organisations working to support and uplift Black trans lives.

Additional reading.

------- xox -------

What does it mean to be trans?

On a very basic level being trans means that your gender identity – that is the gender that you feel as part of your sense of core self – differs from that which you were assigned at birth. We form the T in LGBTQ+ and face unique discriminations and prejudices.

There are many identities that can fit under the umbrella of being trans, including Genderfluid, Agender and Non-Binary people, however it's worth noting that not all people within these groups identity or see themselves as trans. Which is why it's important to not immediately assume that just because someone is, say, Non-Binary that they consider themselves transgender.

What if I think I'm trans?

This is something you fundamentally have to decide yourself. However if you have had long-term conflicts between the gender you're living as and what you feel you are, then it could point to your being trans, non-binary or other gender identity.

There is no bar on what is "trans enough" and cisgender people don't typically spend their lives at war with their inner identity. If you're feeling this, it might be something to reflect on.

Additional reading.

------- xox -------

Creator Spotlight: Mathias Ball (he/they)

1596145982.cresce_tiger.jpg

Born and raised in a small town on the Canadian coast of Lake Huron, Mathias is a trans-identified illustrator who draws inspiration from animals, emotions, and warm bright colours. He is a graduate from the Illustration program at Sheridan College. His dream is to illustrate a world depicting cute characters and lots of dogs.

View website.

------- xox -------

What does "TERF" or "Gender Critical" mean?

TERF stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist, and are people who perpetuate themselves as feminists and advocates for women's rights while, simultaneously, excluding and holding radical positions towards trans women. The Gender Critical viewpoint is that we should step away from recognising gender, in favour of identification by biological sex. The aim for each is to deny trans people their rights, their visibility and their ability to exist as themselves.

One well known TERF is JK Rowling, who views transition as a new form of gay conversion therapy and has been pivotal in preventing rights reform for trans people in the UK.

What do they say?

Commonly their arguments are recycled forms of homophobia. Like claiming we must fear trans people in bathrooms, or that our existence denies cishet people their rights. Sports has become another battleground, where they are keen to spread myths around trans bodies to elicit fear around our inclusion.

TERFs and GC followers will both claim to not be transphobic while also working to restrict the rights of trans people.

Additional reading.

------- xox -------

What is a "deadname" and why should I avoid it?

A deadname is the former name of someone in the LGBTQ+ community who has changed it. This is particularly common among trans people as a means to live our true identity, having been given a name that is typically used by those of the gender they were assigned at birth. By changing your name one is better able to be recognised as the gender identity you are.

Calling someone by their deadname is poor for several reasons, beyond just being disrespectful to the person in question. It can also be dangerous as it potentially outs someone as trans in a space where that might not be received well. It also opens a potential window for harassment by giving others a means to dig into their past life.

What does LGBTQIA+ mean?

LGBTQIA+, sometimes displayed as LGBT+ or LGBTQ+, stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex and Asexual. The plus sign is for the many groups within the umbrella for which the acronym doesn't directly account.

You may also come across 2S in the acronym, for two-spirit; a term for those with a masculine and feminine spirit in the same body, one that is important in some Indigenous cultures.

Additional reading.

------- xox -------

Creator Spotlight: Maddy Thorson (they/them)

z7jkm.png

Maddy Thorson is a trans non-binary game developer known by many as the co-creator of Celeste. Celeste is a game well beloved not only for its trans character, Madeline, but the journey she takes across the game in dealing with self-acceptance and combatting personal anxieties.
If you haven't had a chance to play it, I would recommend it!

View profile.

------- xox -------

Trans people and our representation in media

Recently a GLAAD survey highlighted that 80% of people in the USA didn't personally know someone who was out as being trans. The statistic is one likely to be shared across most countries and highlights an important issue; that the majority of people get their perception of us, our bodies and our issues from media. Media which has historically been content to present us as people to be mocked, reviled and, more recently, fetishized. In turn a lot of people's base understanding of us is transphobic in nature.

It also presents as an issue in comedy. As so much of transphobia has centred around the notion that we are a joke – something to be laughed at or our identities not taken seriously – there's little distinction between transphobic comedy and transphobia itself. Which is an issue when many comedians, like Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr, are content to perpetuate harmful ideas about us in their acts.

Cis people playing trans people

As in films like The Danish Woman and Dallas Buyers Club, having cisgender people play trans people of the opposite gender presents an issue. A common form of transphobia is in seeing trans people as little more than dress-up or acting the part of the opposite gender. Having actors do this in playing trans characters reinforces the notion that our identities are ones that can be put on or that we are disguising ourselves, especially in the case of known actors.

Watch Disclosure on Netflix.

------- xox -------

Creator Spotlight: Iman / alm0start (he/him)

EbdNJ84X0Aoz5Px

Iman is a Black trans artist, college student and musician working via commission on twitter. Often representing aspects of queer culture and identities while boosting the work of others. It's definitely worth checking him out and giving him a follow if you want to see more of his work!

View profile.

------- xox -------

To all my trans brothers, sisters and those outside the binary..

You are valid and you are loved. Whether you're out of the closet or still in, I want you to know that I think you're beautiful and wonderful. That whatever challenges you face, your trans identity is one worth fighting for. I know it isn't easy or simple but there is a beauty and pride to be found in being trans. In being given the opportunity to truly understand our self and who we are.

I hope that wherever you are you can smile and show yourself some kindness. That you can nod and say "I'm trans" with pride. Take this week to celebrate yourself, your identity and being trans as a whole.

Whatever hardships we face, we are here and we are here to stay.

- ♥ -

flag-transgender-demo.jpg

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about Celeste. I kind of ignored that game, seeing it in the background but always noticing it had amazing feedback.

Will grab a copy now, for sure. Thanks for putting the featured artists in.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great OP. Hoping Trans Era has a positive and safe week.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I popped in here to give my support but I did not expect such an informative and well designed OP, one of the best I've seen, thanks for spreading awareness in such a wonderful manner Kyuuji!!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy nice OP, Kyuuji!

I will say that it's insane how much the world has changed for trans people in the last 20 years. Back then there was almost zero exposure to trans people in the media or news, save for horrible events. There was very little info available, and even seemingly progressive people had some awful opinions of them (as I sadly experienced this first hand, which is one reason it took so long for me to come out).

An immense number of people have come around since then, media has shifted from Trans people being the butt of jokes or murder victims to actual characters, and my young niece didn't even an explanation for what being transgender was - she'd already encountered it through modern children's media. As more people come out of hiding, more cis people become personally exposed, and acceptance spreads a bit more via personal contact, which in turn allows more trans people to feel like they can come out.

So there's a long way to go, but the world has also come a long way in a short time. That gives me a lot of hope for the future.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Beautiful OP!

This is the first Trans Awareness Week I'm experiencing as someone who is... aware that they're trans. Still figuring out whether I'm some manner of nonbinary or full-on girl.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing OP, Kyuuji. Really appreciate all the effort you put into this. Definitely subbing to check the updates. I love that you'll be highlighting additional trans creators throughout the week!

Sending love to the trans community 💖

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Amazing OP, Kyuuji! Looking forward to the updates!

Cis man here. Just wanted to let all the trans folk here know that you are loved. Trans rights are human rights.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yay! Nice OP.

Shout outs to my siblings, especially those of you who are still figuring it out or can't be out for whatever reason. These things can make you feel shitty or fraudulent when you're in that spot. You're still part of our community, you're still valid.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I knew about the 20th but not the week before until seeing this so thanks for making the thread. I really hope things can improve for all of you in the next few years.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this Kyuuji (and the many others posts/threads). I'm far from the most knowledgeable on trans issues, but each time I see one of your threads I learn more about the community and the issues it experiences.

Trans rights are human rights.
Yup, disgraceful that we have to argue for any kind of human rights in 2020.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I always took being aware of something for granted. Once you are aware of topic, not being aware of it seems impossible. I would say that you are not aware of something until you have enough information about it. But when you have little exposure, natural awareness builds up very, very slowly.

To me word Trans had a nebulous meaning. 20 years ago, I didn't know about it. 10 years ago, it was an umbrella term that had everyone under the sun, in short I feel it was worse than not knowing the term at all. I had no idea about what being a trans meant or how trans people wanted to be seen or what problems they had because the information I had about trans issues came mostly from the general media. The media simply didn't have enough trans representation and mostly come from the news and news I feel were not positive. I say I feel because I don't remember a single mention of transgender person until sometime around 10 years ago. In contrast with gay people, they have been represented for as long as I could remember. Their representation has not been the greatest but at very least I was aware of who they were and what they wanted from the world and their problems were. And as the time went on the general perception of them in media started to get more positive and nuanced.

It was only a few years ago that I really started to understand what being a transgender person even meant. I saw it more often in the online media and I saw people that I followed coming out. There was Contrapoints, In Sente (a Go youtuber) coming out and starting their transition and Zombieland Saga, an anime of all the things, that featured a trans character in a positive light, all happening at around the same time. I don't know whether I was already interest in the topic or it was my previous exposure but I've started to notice LGBTQ+ topics on Era far more often than I did on NeoGaf and especially those that dealt with trans issues.

All in all, trans awareness was a slow process for me. Took many years and some effort to look into topics that I had little understanding of. Without this awareness it felt like I had no point of reference, like I was in the world of 1984 and simply had no words that allowed me to understand the issue. There is still not a massive amount there but general exposure and acceptance is getting better. Which why it's so frustrating when you have people like JK Rowling spouting their TERFness or Cyberpunk having stuff like Chromanticore in the game and then promoting the cosplay of it is such a shit thing. For some people who don't know anything about trans issue, those two might be their only exposure.

In other words, great OT Kyuuji Spread the word people. Let's get aware together! :D

Here's a bonus, turns out I'm trans myself! The lockdown left me alone with a lot more thinking time. At around the same time, someone I've raided in FFXIV came out as trans and they were very much like me in many ways. This is a person I've spent raiding together for a very long time, now I had a personal experience on top of all the other. This definitely gave me an extra push.

I'm still not sure what exactly I am or what it even means for myself. It doesn't help when the society at large insists that there are only 2 genders and all the other nonsense. It makes these kind of thoughts be less of "Oh right, that makes sense." and more of "Oh crap...let's pretend this didn't happen to make things easier". It's actually a very hard thing to reconcile even with your own self. "I am trans enough to even call myself trans?" is definitely a thing but cis people don't have these thoughts at all. That was actually a megaton for me, cis people don't have these thoughts!? Wow.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Trans Rights are Human Rights and every newly hatched Trans Person should get a free pizza.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
Great OP, Kyuuji, and thanks for the reminder on the Game side.

Trans Rights are Human Rights.

Kyuuji Would it help to have links to various orgs that people can support from their countries?

Here are a few from Brazil (in Portuguese): https://catracalivre.com.br/cidadan...ts-para-voce-ajudar-e-conhecer-em-sua-cidade/

Thanks for the link, Khrn, I'll be checking that out.

On a more personal note, I have a teenage daughter who's going through some conflicts about her own gender identity, at the moment.
At the same time, they constructed their own online persona where they're a carefree (and proud) version of theirself, that is somewhat at a disconnect with the version that's presented at home, and around others, in real life. The pandemic put a real dampener on the psychological care around here - we had a nice doctor, whom we all adored, but she moved away at the beginning of the year, just before the whole thing started in earnest, and we didn't really settle on a good replacement, yet (even tho we're trying)... Anyway, didn't mean to vent that much, and I just want what's best for them, and for them to be happy, no matter what.

Thanks for reminding me that they're not even close to being alone, after all.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Really great OT and a must read for anyone who is not familiar. I had a student trust me enough to come out as trans last year and it was one of the impactful moments of my career. Even if you don't know what to say or have any great advice, just be there for someone in need. Listen and learn.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trans rights are human rights!

I am aware of ya'll all year round and will continue to fight for and along side you for as long as I live and breathe <3

DKeygo

Jun 29, 2019
Thanks for putting in the work for this topic Kyuuji! Like a few others here, I knew about the 20th but not the week leading up to it. I should gift my friends something.... Anyway I hope everyone has a good week! Ya'll are loved and stay safe <3

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's an incredible OT there, Kyuuji. Really impressed with how much effort you put into it.

Awareness week has come at an amazing time for me, as several people in my life have recently come out as trans and/or non-binary. It's great to have a resource like this that I can just link to them for more information, and help them walk through this journey of discovery.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pinned the thread. Excellent work Kyuuji

Followed Mathias Ball on Twitter immediately. They have excellent work!

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great op Kyuuji though I expect nothing less by now (not trying to make it sound like it's expected, I am just jealous as hell.

Will watch this thread, especially the stuff in OP as I tend to try to support Trans creators first, but growing up a deeply closeted hood rat I have no connection to queer culture, so when trans creators cross boundaries or create in scenes/genres it becomes a lot more real to me than the nebulous "trans experience" since except for the hatred we receive it's different for all of us in a multitude of ways, and we are not a molonith, if it seems that way it's because lately we're under attack and circling wagons.

But enough depressing shit, this is a week that should also celebrate us not just be murdered statistics and teachable moments for cis people (not that those are not important also) so a challenge, especially for allies, when trying to spread awareness this week dont just focus on the horrible shit, talk about some of the stuff Trans people have accomplished for a change, yeah?

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I always took being aware of something for granted. Once you are aware of topic, not being aware of it seems impossible. I would say that you are not aware of something until you have enough information about it. But when you have little exposure, natural awareness builds up very, very slowly.

To me word Trans had a nebulous meaning. 20 years ago, I didn't know about it. 10 years ago, it was an umbrella term that had everyone under the sun, in short I feel it was worse than not knowing the term at all. I had no idea about what being a trans meant or how trans people wanted to be seen or what problems they had because the information I had about trans issues came mostly from the general media. The media simply didn't have enough trans representation and mostly come from the news and news I feel were not positive. I say I feel because I don't remember a single mention of transgender person until sometime around 10 years ago. In contrast with gay people, they have been represented for as long as I could remember. Their representation has not been the greatest but at very least I was aware of who they were and what they wanted from the world and their problems were. And as the time went on the general perception of them in media started to get more positive and nuanced.

It was only a few years ago that I really started to understand what being a transgender person even meant. I saw it more often in the online media and I saw people that I followed coming out. There was Contrapoints, In Sente (a Go youtuber) coming out and starting their transition and Zombieland Saga, an anime of all the things, that featured a trans character in a positive light, all happening at around the same time. I don't know whether I was already interest in the topic or it was my previous exposure but I've started to notice LGBTQ+ topics on Era far more often than I did on NeoGaf and especially those that dealt with trans issues.

All in all, trans awareness was a slow process for me. Took many years and some effort to look into topics that I had little understanding of. Without this awareness it felt like I had no point of reference, like I was in the world of 1984 and simply had no words that allowed me to understand the issue. There is still not a massive amount there but general exposure and acceptance is getting better. Which why it's so frustrating when you have people like JK Rowling spouting their TERFness or Cyberpunk having stuff like Chromanticore in the game and then promoting the cosplay of it is such a shit thing. For some people who don't know anything about trans issue, those two might be their only exposure.

In other words, great OT Kyuuji Spread the word people. Let's get aware together! :D

Here's a bonus, turns out I'm trans myself! The lockdown left me alone with a lot more thinking time. At around the same time, someone I've raided in FFXIV came out as trans and they were very much like me in many ways. This is a person I've spent raiding together for a very long time, now I had a personal experience on top of all the other. This definitely gave me an extra push.

I'm still not sure what exactly I am or what it even means for myself. It doesn't help when the society at large insists that there are only 2 genders and all the other nonsense. It makes these kind of thoughts be less of "Oh right, that makes sense." and more of "Oh crap...let's pretend this didn't happen to make things easier". It's actually a very hard thing to reconcile even with your own self. "I am trans enough to even call myself trans?" is definitely a thing but cis people don't have these thoughts at all. That was actually a megaton for me, cis people don't have these thoughts!? Wow.
Thank you for these words from the heart. Your post speaks so much of what I would like to speak. It takes a lot of courage, I really appreciate it, and I hope you can find peace for yourself, because you deserve it.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Every bit as lovely as I would have expected!

To anyone in this thread: you have the support of each of us. If you ever need to ask questions, vent, talk things through, or anything of the like, we are always happy to help. That does not just apply during this week, but any time it is needed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
This is such a great thread and it makes me happy seeing all the effort you put in to give a spotlight to folks. I also especially appriciate the breakdowns of the struggles we face as well as key terms that we struggle with always. Happy trans awareness week! Whooo.
o90nod3h.jpg

Trainrot

Nov 5, 2020
This is an amazing thread and I am so glad to see it come up! Thank you for putting it all together Kyuuji!

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Also, TheChaos0 congratulations! I have found a lot of the community in FFXIV is very welcoming, outside of a few groups on Aether I unfortunately ran some stuff with on occasion. Crystal in particular is extremely chill with trans issues, and I am glad to raid there despite being known as the casual server.