• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So here's the real question, why did the spoiler box set at Walmart include Rung with Ultra Maguns?

What does Rung have to do with the show? I guess they mention Primus a few times, but I doubt they're going that direction.

There's no way they're doing the alternate timeline story around Rung right? Is that what you're referring to?

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was okay. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. I had no issue with the voices, but it was weird having the fake Peter Cullen voice. Also, the planet seemed so empty. Did everyone get killed off? I mean it's a planetwide war right? There doesn't seem to be that many robots left.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So here's the real question, why did the spoiler box set at Walmart include Rung with Ultra Maguns?

What does Rung have to do with the show? I guess they mention Primus a few times, but I doubt they're going that direction.

I thought the spoiler was in the hidden text (no idea why they had to obscure the whole box for that) which is basically about the
death of Ultra Magnus

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Rooster Teeth Studios (a new division of RT) is in charge of production for this, which explains a lot. I wonder what the division of labor is like, because Polygon Pictures can do better on the animation front.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started watching. Love the Gen 1 aspect.

Why is it no one can mimic Gen 1 Megatrons voice anymore? I'm not even sure Frank Welker can do it anymore.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

I think it was a very, very cack handed attempt to
represent the Alpha Trion protocols. A3 in Bumblebee's vision looked a bit like Rung with a different head, and it's the same colour.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stark contrast to Gen 1 Optimus.

Rewatching the first 3 episode so the original series, he's very much a John Wayne character. Even sounds like him.

And looking up design info is what they were going for and Cullen knew that and thus the Prime voice.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So I just watched all of this and I really liked it overall.

I think my only complaint really was not having Peter Cullen for voicing Optimus Prime or Frank Welker for Megatron.

Oct 26, 2017
These guys are not getting any younger, and there's been lots of other Prime and Meg voices. I'm fine with letting other actors at it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more ok with it if they stopped trying to get the new actors to do impressions of Cullen and Welker. Let them be their own things.
Megatron wasn't that bad, but it sounded like they really wanted the guy playing Optimus to get as close to Cullen as he could.

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
I wonder if all that is just from the first few episodes. They need to get to Earth and take on earth alt-modes at some point.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Earthrise is out. It's not as good as Siege (middle chapter syndrome), but there are some fun surprises.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
You can skip two episodes because literally nothing happens.
It's a 6 episode season and they don't get to Earth until the end of ep 5.

It's Transformers given The Hobbit movie treatment - 3 seasons to cover just the first 3 episodes of TF ever made.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched Earthrise yet, but Siege was such a let down. The knock off voice cast I could get past if the writing and delivery was better.

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to drop Machinima because this animation is such horrible shit. Some designs look but overall it looks so bad and they took the "make it look like the toys" to such a literal degree everything looks so bland and ugly.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Wait...

Did everyone just fucking die in Cybertron? Did they really underestimate how strong their dynamite would be? It looked like it took out half the city/

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like how in a series called "Transformers" where they can turn into fast moving vehicles, they choose to run from all forms of danger on two legs instead of speed away on 4 wheels.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I like how in a series called "Transformers" where they can turn into fast moving vehicles, they choose to run from all forms of danger on two legs instead of speed away on 4 wheels.
This will never not be hilarious and the fact that the animators think this makes sense makes it even more so.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair they did pretty much exactly the same in most other animated Transformers media too, going all the way back to the G1 cartoon.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair they did pretty much exactly the same in most other animated Transformers media too, going all the way back to the G1 cartoon.

Not as much as this new series. In G1, Prime and crew generally "rolled out" to locations although admittedly the 'cons flew in robot form.
But this new show they do tend stay in humanoid form even when travelling from location to location on whether seems to be super wide roads and over passes.
I suspect it's a budget reason. Prob too expensive to animate vehicle models for all the characters. Just as it seems to expensive for new models where as recolours of Reflectors mold.

ugh, this series has been super disappointing.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not as much as this new series. In G1, Prime and crew generally "rolled out" to locations although admittedly the 'cons flew in robot form.
But this new show they do tend stay in humanoid form even when travelling from location to location on whether seems to be super wide roads and over passes.
I suspect it's a budget reason. Prob too expensive to animate vehicle models for all the characters. Just as it seems to expensive for new models where as recolours of Reflectors mold.

ugh, this series has been super disappointing.

It's really weird to me that it would be for budgetary reasons. You'd think they would only have to animate each transformation once and then they could reuse it. And animating a vehicle moving would be easier than animating walk or run cycles.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I actually enjoyed Siege more than I expected to, but I thought Earthrise doubled down on all the worst parts of Siege and was damn near a disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really weird to me that it would be for budgetary reasons. You'd think they would only have to animate each transformation once and then they could reuse it. And animating a vehicle moving would be easier than animating walk or run cycles.

I'm all for good old fashioned stock transformation sequences. I thought they worked well in Animated.

I find it bizarre that these new shows have budget issues for transformation when older CG transformers shows managed to pull it off just fine. I'm sure Prime had a higher budget, but Energon and Cybertron too??

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
That was my guess but I dunno why they refuse to actual have Transformers transform.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't watched the new season but for the first season, they had major characters that didn't have a Cybertronian mode, mainly Bumblebee and Wheeljack, which is why you never see them transform. It's still ridiculous in that early episode when the Autobots run away on foot, and the Decepticon jets land, transform, and follow them on foot.

Also those seekers holding their null rays or whatever in their hands still bugs me.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

I'm not going to get fooled by a trailer again, but I have to admit it's great to see the OG Beast Wars crew.

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Kingdom is out today on Netflix - didn't realize it was so soon.

Look, it's basically more of the same. If you didn't like the other two parts in the series, you won't like this.
Like the other two parts, I feel there are one to two episodes that could be cut entirely.

That said, if you're a Beast Wars fan, this is fun! As a fan of both G1 and BW, it's a lot of fun to see both generations of Transformers interact with each other.
Note that the voice acting - and personality types - for the BW characters are different from the original. They do not emulate the original actors.

The CG is actually a little better than the first two, in my opinion.

Regarding the story, I thought it was decent, and it wove the lore of the original shows plus the trilogy pretty well.

• Dinobot - They did him justice.
    They deserve credit for that, but it didn't have the impact of the original Dinobot death as you only had 3 episodes with the character.
  • I like the idea that the events of the entire trilogy were orchestrated by Unicron.
  • The last couple of episodes were pretty fun. Rhinox vs Megatron, Primal vs Megatrons, Maximals vs Galvatron - good stuff.
  • I was not completely surprised by the Ark being a Transformer as I had seen the toy, but that uppercut to the Nemesis was pretty awesome regardless.
  • Ending of Episode 5 - I was honestly expecting this to be the ending. Maybe it should have been.
  • Episode 6 was unexpected. Optimus Prime vs Megatron + Galvatron + Nemesis Prime? BW Megatron vs Galvatron? Oh my.