• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I actually found Cyberverse hella fun after the first half of the first season--the Quintesson arc in season 3 in particular is one of my favorite Transformers stories.

This is an extremely different breed. I forgot to mention this above, but this show is absolutely not for children. There are executions, torture, and pretty gruesome desecration of dead bodies, even if they are robots.

To that end, it's hard to compare the two. They're certainly very close in my mind, but I'd probably place this just above Cyberverse for now. The production quality is MUCH higher on this show, which certainly helps.

God I'm so excited to watch this later. Please spoil me on one thing--
does Ultra Magnus die?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've watched a Transformers show since Armada.

I've enjoyed the War for Cybertron game from High Moon, but that has no relation to this right?

And I've been hearing this leads into Beast Wars? I loved Beast Wars as a kid, so I am interested in checking this out if true.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very confused by this one. Some models are very clearly taken from the games and some are inspired by G1. Just choose one, damn it!

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Darn it. I hyped my 7 yr old the whole week about this show... he loves Cyberverse and was looking forward to the trilogy. My bad for not paying attention to the trailers I guess.

I'm not a parent myself, so it is absolutely not something I can speak with total authority about. It's hard to judge what is appropriate in this since the material is dealing with robots, so I'd take a look at a couple episodes to decide for yourself.

God I'm so excited to watch this later. Please spoil me on one thing--
does Ultra Magnus die?

Yes. He is very important to the story though.

I don't think I've watched a Transformers show since Armada.

I've enjoyed the War for Cybertron game from High Moon, but that has no relation to this right?

And I've been hearing this leads into Beast Wars? I loved Beast Wars as a kid, so I am interested in checking this out if true.

Not into Beast Wars directly, but the third season/'part' is a Beast Wars/WFC time-travel mashup, from what we know so far.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not a parent myself, so it is absolutely not something I can speak with total authority about. It's hard to judge what is appropriate in this since the material is dealing with robots, so I'd take a look at a couple episodes to decide for yourself.

Not into Beast Wars directly, but the third season/'part' is a Beast Wars/WFC time-travel mashup, from what we know so far.

That's a little disappointing--although the teasers made me suspect as much. Magnus is pretty much my favorite Autobot, but I'm still excited to watch this, hope he at least gets some good hits in lol.
Thanks!

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finished the first two episodes, it's very slow to start but it feels like we're dealing with a younger Optimus Prime and Crew. The Animation is really good. It definitely has potential to be something great like Dragon Prince or Clone Wars

Oct 25, 2017

That's cool.

Yeah, I'll give this a watch if it actually leads into seeing Optimus Primal again

Jun 17, 2019
?

I think this is the first time they ever worked with him. Are you confusing him for Vic Mignona?

A well known cosplayer/reporter (I think she does reporting for anime blogs) had a situation with him where at a party he aided her in getting drunk, took her back to her room and then had sex with her without consent as she was too drunk to say yes to it. She was talking about it in relation to Vic and how apparently Todd told him(Vic) about the encounter and Vic hinted that he wanted her to do the same for him. At the time she did not name Todd, but apparently he's known for being very much the type to hit on people, and people guessed who it was and outed him
Todd then used his own history of being assault to try to clear his name. Last was heard he'd gotten the same lawyers as Vic, but not sure if that case went anywhere.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Really good dialogue, like how the show makes both Optimus and Megatron into people who fought for noble reasons, but ended up allowing the violence to go out of hand because they were both too stubborn to admit they took bad decisions.

But I do think the animation is nothing special. I was hoping for at least ONE standout fight scene like the ones in Prime. Definitely something I think Earthrise needs to address.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Just stumbled on this thread. Wow. No idea this was a thing. After Transformers Prime(excellent animated show)I wanted more. The animation after that I didn't like. Forgot the name. Robots in disguise or something.

Sad its only 6 episodes. But still for something I had no idea was a thing better than nothing. Like what I saw in the trailer.

Oct 27, 2017
Just stumbled on this thread. Wow. No idea this was a thing. After Transformers Prime(excellent animated show)I wanted more. The animation after that I didn't like. Forgot the name. Robots in disguise or something.

Sad its only 6 episodes. But still for something I had no idea was a thing better than nothing. Like what I saw in the trailer.

There's gonna be two more parts to this. This was just part one.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
You know what this reminds me? That two issue ar in the IDW ongoing called "Chaos Theory". Where it's just Optimus and Megatron discussing their conflicting ideologies. Really good stuff too btw.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished, bit short, but pretty good. Been collecting the Siege and Earthrise toys so it's a fun treat to see them realized in CG form. Course there's model reuse/recolor but eh, I don't expect crowds to look to unique in Transformers, save for colors lol. I would recommend binging it all in one go since it's about the length of a two hour movie. Overall, if you liked the opening scene of Bumblebee, you'll get some enjoyment out of this.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what this reminds me? That two issue ar in the IDW ongoing called "Chaos Theory". Where it's just Optimus and Megatron discussing their conflicting ideologies. Really good stuff too btw.

I would LOVE a mini-series about Megatron's backstory that we see in IDW 2005. A worker with an ideology to improve the lives of his people, but ultimately succumbing to violence.

Oct 25, 2017

You should really checkout Cyberverse if you're looking for something with more length to it. It takes a few episodes to get its footing, but it's a solid show with some fun character interactions. Even though it's geared towards kids, it's not just some "peddle the toys" kind of show. And best part is each episode is 10 minutes so it's incredibly digestible.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first 3 episodes. I like it, but I wish it weren't so relentlessly dire. I respect that they want to tell a more serious story, and I certainly don't want a constant stream of corny one-liners, but some moments of levity would go a long way in making the overall tone more palatable.

It also bothers me that nearly every Decepticon speaks with the same raspy hiss. I know it's a cartoon, but it makes them feel like a bunch of generic, indistinguishable bad guys.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the whole thing. Gotta admit I don't really know who this is for. It's too slow and talky for most kids, but it's too simplistic and repetitive for adults. Very little action, most of the good action scenes are in the last two eps, and a surprising amount of them have already been shown in trailers. I don't think emulating so many of the G1 voices was a great idea, as since nobody's quite nailing their impressions it's more distracting than anything else, especially Optimus and Starscream. There's a strange muted quality to a lot of the sound. Soundwave's voice and the laser blasts in particular lack punch and feel very anemic.

I was surprised to see that
they actually used Soundblaster in a US show. I also noticed his toy, which I got for $15 on clearance in April, is now going for $70-80, so I guess he was well received.

It's not bad, but they probably only needed four eps to tell what story is here, which is a classic Netflix original show problem. It's a little weird how hard they lean into Jetfire's storyline, but I suppose if this had come out last year as originally planned he would have been the biggest most expensive figure in the line aside from Omega Supreme, so they want to push him hard.

Hell of a lot better than the Machinima stuff, but that's not a high bar. Maybe it'll find its feet more solidly in Earthrise.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
You should really checkout Cyberverse if you're looking for something with more length to it. It takes a few episodes to get its footing, but it's a solid show with some fun character interactions. Even though it's geared towards kids, it's not just some "peddle the toys" kind of show. And best part is each episode is 10 minutes so it's incredibly digestible.

I'll check it out. And I watched the first 2 episodes of this series. I really like it. It does start slow. And some of the sound effects sound weird, but love the dark gritty tone.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is pretty solid but my love of Transformers series are always predicated on whether or not Megatron turns into a gun or not.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thought it was pretty good for what it was. Optimus' voice is distracting me tho.

also, I'm not too into transformers so what's the actual backstory on why the war even began, were prime/megatron/ultra magnus all part of the same group? Wish we got a flashback lol

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
This was pretty bad, to be honest. Whilst the animation was a lot better than the trailers made it look, and the backgrounds were actually really nice, it has a lot of problems.

The story is dull. It's just the same old pre-Gen-1 stuff rehashed in an uninteresting way. The dialogue is pretty dreadful. The heavy use of generics isn't good, especially having random Decepticon soldiers strolling around in Prowl/Jazz/Bluestreak style robot forms. There's no weight or impact of any of the deaths as we're never given any real reason to care about the characters beyond "these are characters that you already know from the franchise". The voices are okay, but when you're up against some of the GOAT voice actors who made the original characters what they are, it just doesn't compare.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to watch yet, but responses seem pretty decent so far. Not going to go in expecting too much, but I'll be happy if it's a coherent story.

I still wish someday they'd do animated adaptations of the IDW comics, but I doubt that will ever happen.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm very confused by this one. Some models are very clearly taken from the games and some are inspired by G1. Just choose one, damn it!

They literally modeled the toys into this show. The characters in the show have the holes and tab slots even accurately to the toy, and the holes for the weapons to slot into even lol. The ratchet joints and all from the toys are modeled and replicated here.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
The show is a looker, for sure. They nailed the port of the toy models, it was pretty amazing seeing them in motion.

But I was bored the whole way. The voice acting is also especially mediocre.

They need to do a lot better for seasons 2 and 3.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
This is one beautiful looking Transformers show. Voice acting and story was really good also.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
The show is a looker, for sure. They nailed the port of the toy models, it was pretty amazing seeing them in motion.

But I was bored the whole way. The voice acting is also especially mediocre.

They need to do a lot better for seasons 2 and 3.

Padding used in the pacing was for budget reasons I am guessing. If it is well received then maybe there is hope for part 2 and three. Needs some comedy to break up the tension though

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Two episodes in, and I'm enjoying it, but it's not amazing.

The animation when they're fighting seems weirdly sluggish. Otherwise, it looks beautiful. Dialogue is kinda rough too. Not awful, just not inspiring.

I'll finish this season and probably enjoy myself, but it's not amazing as I mentioned.

Oct 26, 2017
It's decent. There's some nods to IDW and the excellent lore there, but it's set against a story that is mostly original G1 with a few of the generics replaced by generics that happened to be in the toyline, like Skythread, Cog and Barricade. I like how there's not just one character who changes allegiance, and there's several good reasons. I was also surprised to see so many female characters, with Elita having a pretty large role. The two best ones are nowhere to be seen though (Nautica and Windblade).

Is it however two hours of toy commercial through and through.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
It's extremely mediocre and rough for sure, but I'm starved for Transformers content so I'm still enjoying it lol. I feel like a better score would have gone a long way toward making this less boring, as much as I like the bleak feeling the show tries to go for. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the other two parts!

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Something about this series just seems....off. I don't know how to explain it. It comes across as flat. I guess I miss some of the lightheartedness of the G1 series and even Beast Wars.

It's like...the entire thing just seems to speak in an undertone?

Feb 21, 2018
Got excited at first expecting live-action like the movies, oh well. The original cartoons were fun and I'll rewatch other stuff from my childhood but I don't think I'm the target audience for this.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I know a lot of lore from the IDW comics and the war on cyberton games, so I enjoyed it.

I would expect someone with even half the knowledge tobe lost throughput.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
All the designs are taken from the War for Cybertron Siege toyline.

Enjoying the show. Perhaps a little too slow though.

I've only watched the 80's Transformers Movie/Cartoon... and Beast Wars.... Maybe I'm being forgetful/mixing something up, so help me with something.

Didn't all the characters get their automobile models after landing on earth? Interacting/probing our vehicles. Does this show take place after they leave earth or something? Someone mentioned that this seemed like a younger Optimus, so I'm kind of confused. Or were they like fuck it, this is what audience is used to regarding character models.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Enjoyed it, but do think it was a bit slow overall. Kinda expect more action and excitement from Transformers. I mean I understand they are trying to make it more adult here for older fans but at the same time I think most of us older fans understand that Transformers is kinda dumb and we are here for robots fighting and transforming. Seriously we don't see any autobots transformer except Optimsus till near the final 2 episodes. It's odd to say I want more shoot bang, but in a way it really did need to move a bit quicker and perhaps a bit less exposition on everything.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Got excited at first expecting live-action like the movies, oh well. The original cartoons were fun and I'll rewatch other stuff from my childhood but I don't think I'm the target audience for this.
I mean, even if it was "live action", all the Transformers would have still been CGI. Not sure what the difference would be.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this so far. Not a ton of action, but very interesting in terms of lore and worldbuilding.