• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Transgender Netflix employees and co-workers will stage a walkout next week protesting the streaming giant's decision to release Dave Chappelle's latest comedy special, multiple Netflix staffers have confirmed to the Los Angeles Times.

On Oct. 20, members of the Netflix employee resource group Trans* and their allies will take a "day of rest" prompted by their concerns about Chappelle's "The Closer," which includes several transphobic remarks.

"I encourage all [members of] Trans* and allies not to work for Netflix that day. ... As we've discussed through Slack, email, texts and everything in between, our leadership has shown us that they do not uphold the values for which we are held," a Netflix employee posted Monday in a public, company Slack channel comprising more than 800 staffers representing "gender minorities of all sorts and their allies," in a message reviewed by The Times.

"Between the numerous emails and non-answers that have been given, we have been told explicitly that we somehow cannot understand the nuance of certain content. I don't know about you, but asking for us to show the whole story and not just the pieces that harm trans and [LGBTQ+] people is not an unreasonable ask," the employee's Slack statement continued.
"So, I encourage us all to state clearly that we, as Netflix employees are stunning not simply when we are doing the work that our roles demand of us but also when we challenge the very principles of our company."

Another Netflix employee, who like other employees interviewed for this story asked not to be named for fear of reprisal, confirmed to The Times that the demonstration will follow a virtual event on Oct. 19 that will be open to all employees and will be hosted by gender-nonconforming writer and performance artist Alok Vaid-Menon to discuss the Chappelle special's impact on the trans community.

According to another Netflix staffer, the walkout is meant to pressure the streaming giant to acknowledge the harm caused by Chappelle's transphobic comments. The comedian said he supported "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling, who has been labeled a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) for repeatedly expressing anti-trans sentiments.

Organizers of the protest are also demanding that Netflix commit to releasing more LGBTQ+ content on the platform. They are not expecting the company to remove the special, especially after Netflix co-Chief Executive Ted Sarandos announced that the streamer would keep it despite mounting criticism.

Sorry if this has been posted, but I didn't see a thread about it while searching. I'm glad Netflix employees are fighting back because the company is acting horribly here. It's a reminder that no corporations are your friend. Even if they appear to be left leaning, they still care about money more than minority rights or any cause.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really happy this shit isn't going away so easily, and that they're putting up a fight to have their voices heard and acknowledged.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is good. I hope they do not lose their jobs or benefits.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The special is bullshit and I hope it gets taken down.

Unfortunately, the controversy will likely only drive more views.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The more i read about this special, the worst it gets.

Like the whole "using a trans woman as a token defense" by chappele ..... i saw friends of her going from "chapelle misgendered her a lot" to "nothing he said makes any sense"

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ironclad solidarity with them on this. The Netflix approach to this sort of content is disgraceful and their response has been shameful. Power to these people and I hope they affect change.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Ted Sarandos Doubles Down on Dave Chappelle Defense: ‘Content Doesn’t Directly Translate to Real-World Harm’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Netflix Co-CEO Ted Sarandos tells company that content like Dave Chappelle's "The Closer" does not "directly translate to real-world harm"

Fuck this guy.
"With 'The Closer,' we understand that the concern is not about offensive-to-some content but titles which could increase real world harm (such as further marginalizing already marginalized groups, hate, violence etc.) Last year, we heard similar concerns about 365 Days and violence against women. While some employees disagree, we have a strong belief that content on screen doesn't directly translate to real-world harm," he said.

"The strongest evidence to support this is that violence on screens has grown hugely over the last thirty years, especially with first party shooter games, and yet violent crime has fallen significantly in many countries. Adults can watch violence, assault and abuse – or enjoy shocking stand-up comedy – without it causing them to harm others," he continued.
"Media that propagates hate isn't bad cause violent crimes are down"

A+ logic right there

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think this part in The Vultures review of the stand up sums up the problem with it.

A more poignant moment is the barely audible whoop in the crowd when the subject of the North Carolina anti-trans bathroom bill comes up, and the comic has to stop and explain to this attendee that it is not, in fact, a good bill. You talk enough shit, and you'll draw flies.

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
I quit my job in August and cancelled my Netflix sub with the intention of resubbing when I got a new job, but that's not happening anymore. I responded to one of their emails asking for me to resub by telling them I don't support hate. I stopped drinking Yuengling when the owners donated to trump. I think I can handle ignoring Netflix.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Ted Sarandos Doubles Down on Dave Chappelle Defense: ‘Content Doesn’t Directly Translate to Real-World Harm’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Netflix Co-CEO Ted Sarandos tells company that content like Dave Chappelle's "The Closer" does not "directly translate to real-world harm"

Fuck this guy.

Just twisting himself into a pretzel at this point. His previous remarks said the special didn't cross the line into hate. Now he's saying hate doesn't cause violence. I mean, he's kind of admitting he doesn't believe in his own policies against hate, since he doesn't think hatred is a problem.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
The Netflix Special is currently in the top 10 at #4. I support this walkout and hope Netflix ends up making more LGBTQ+ content but I doubt anything will be done about the special itself.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
It's good that it's happening but this will likely only benefit Netflix.

As more people will be made aware of the show and will likely watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
variety.com

Fuck this guy.
Did he really just compare "People aren't violent from violent media" with "People do not gain prejudice from prejudiced media"?

Because I'm pretty sure, negative stereotypes, what-about-isms, and prejudiced comments in media have long been proven to influence people who consume it.

LITERALLY comparing Apples to Oranges.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is awesome. The most recent statement from the co-ceo was so ridiculous I can't even believe a professional adult broadcast it as an official response.

"We have a strong belief that content on screen doesn't directly translate to real-world harm."

This is one of the most idiotic statements I have seen from a person in such a position. If he thinks this then I guess we can expect regular hate speech rants to be the norm on the service. This was not comedy. There was no joke, it was a diatribe.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
variety.com

Fuck this guy.

It is... pretty hard to figure out how Sarandos makes the arguments he gives here gel with Netflix pulling episodes of Community because they had jokes about blackface in them (and the joke was that blackface was unacceptable!).

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Never subscribing to this shit again if DRASTIC, real change doesn't happen (so never probably)

100% in support of this protest initiative.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle bought into his own hype. Dude is pretty much a caricature of himself now, something the younger him would joke about. Dude really out here trying to pull the "I have (insert minority here) friend so it's ok" card. Fucking pathetic. Fuck him, fuck netflix, fuck their cunt of a CEO.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would totally cancel my Netflix subscription that day if I paid for it.

Good on them to not let this be forgotten that easily.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, how the "mighty" have fallen.

As someone else said above: 24 year old Dave would've dragged current Dave out into the street and beat him.

I'm tired of my family and friends that are trans continually being treated as someone's punchline. Fuck Dave, fuck Netflix, and I'm glad to see the employees take a stand for what's right.

TRANS PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE. It fucking SUCKS ASS that we have to still be saying this well into the 21st century.

Oct 29, 2017
Sarandos name-dropping other Netflix originals with LGBTQ characters and storylines as if that absolves the company of the decision to air this particular special.

Fully support the walkout, I hope it helps expose the company as the false ally that it is.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sarandos name-dropping other Netflix originals with LGBTQ characters and storylines as if that absolves the company of the decision to air this particular special.

Fully support the walkout, I hope it helps expose the company as the false ally that it is.
"We're an equal opportunity employer.

We employ trans people and the bigots who mock them."

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
How can chapelle see this and not maybe reconsider that he fucked up? Or is he just lying low

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If they're not unioned up, I'm concerned about their future with the company.

I don't see numbers immediately either. How many employees are we talking about?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Chappelle bought into his own hype. Dude is pretty much a caricature of himself now, something the younger him would joke about. Dude really out here trying to pull the "I have (insert minority here) friend so it's ok" card. Fucking pathetic. Fuck him, fuck netflix, fuck their cunt of a CEO.

And then when you read the full story of that "friendship"....

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

Fuck this guy.
That's a fucking terrible statement god damn. "Don't worry this won't cause violent crime" what, is he talking to the FOX News audience?

A big tech company like Netflix has tons of internal employee resource groups with many allies and he's spitting on them. When you kill this much trust internally it's probably best to cash out and step down though maybe he wanted to retire anyway.