• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
what are the missables for one platinum playthrough. is there a non spoiler guide for it

There's lots of missable. I used this guide PSN Profile guide it's not spoiler free per se but I don't recall a single instance I was spoiled on an upcoming boss or whatever I normally never look for those I only used it for the missable stuff on X day etc.

Make doubly sure you never miss a single chest (the quartz to detect chest is a bit later in the game, and scan every ennemy and even bombs and stuff if there is some in a given boss battle)

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since starting the trails arc after xmas and learning there was a 4th game I've been waiting for this announcement. Day 1

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it's finally been announced for release in NA! I will definitely pick this up in Fall. Great timing since I just got the CS3 platinum trophy today with finishing my Nightmare NG+ playthrough.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a summary of what happened between XSeed and Falcom?
Basically, Falcom and XSEED probably broke up their partnership after XSEED chose not to license Tokyo Xanadu, due to it initially being Vita exclusive (even Aksys, who got the license, wasn't told about the PS4 port until the Japanese announcement and had to renegotiate for the port). After that Falcom started shopping their licenses around and NISA ultimately provided them the best deal.

That much is basically just business. But then Falcom went and threw XSEED under the bus over Japanese voice acting. Basically Kondo talked about how NISA asked for Japanese voice acting and Falcom was happy to provide it, and hadn't been aware of western desire for it. Which is completely contrary to everything XSEED had said, and multiple XSEED staffers/ex-staffers rebuked that and said they had put a great effort into getting Japanese voices from Falcom but weren't able to work it out.

And XSEED's side isn't exactly unbelievable, since we know Falcom had previously not been open to XSEED's requests. Like XSEED wanting to increase the voice acting in CS1 and 2 for the original PS3/Vita releases like they did in the PC and PS4 ports, but Falcom told them they could/would not do it. Then XSEED did it themselves for PC and Falcom ended up agreeing to it for PS4.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Basically, Falcom and XSEED probably broke up their partnership after XSEED chose not to license Tokyo Xanadu, due to it initially being Vita exclusive (even Aksys, who got the license, wasn't told about the PS4 port until the Japanese announcement and had to renegotiate for the port). After that Falcom started shopping their licenses around and NISA ultimately provided them the best deal.

That much is basically just business. But then Falcom went and threw XSEED under the bus over Japanese voice acting. Basically Kondo talked about how NISA asked for Japanese voice acting and Falcom was happy to provide it, and hadn't been aware of western desire for it. Which is completely contrary to everything XSEED had said, and multiple XSEED staffers/ex-staffers rebuked that and said they had put a great effort into getting Japanese voices from Falcom but weren't able to work it out.

And XSEED's side isn't exactly unbelievable, since we know Falcom had previously not been open to XSEED's requests. Like XSEED wanting to increase the voice acting in CS1 and 2 for the original PS3/Vita releases like they did in the PC and PS4 ports, but Falcom told them they could/would not do it. Then XSEED did it themselves for PC and Falcom ended up agreeing to it for PS4.
the irony in Falcom ending their relationship with Xseed over Tokyo Xanadu, but when NISA fucks Ys VIII up so badly it broke news in Japan Kondo tried to spin it as a "learning experience."

Business is business at the end of the day, and as disappointing as it is, I think NISA's marketing machine has helped this franchise have more eye balls, and despite the situation with CS1 and 2, a future where most of the Kiseki games are available on PS4 and Switch is very much in the cards thanks to the partnership with NISA. I just hope that NISA continues to do good work on their locs and improves over time.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
feels kind of crazy to start this series with cold steel 3 but i guess that's what i'm in for if i ever jump in

Jon, you know how you wouldn't tell someone to start reading Jon Hickman's Avengers run at Time Runs Out instead of at #1? This is a lot like that.

Edit: Like, really... a LOT like that.

Oct 26, 2017
ToraShiro Since you like to be pinged in announcements. :P

Any word if Hatsuu is on this one? She's at Nexon America, but hopefully she's been able to assist here, as it'd be her only one absence otherwise. Thanks, and first, awesome thing to announce the Switch and PC versions at the same time despite the longer wait, and second, I hope you and all at NISA are doing well and are healthy! :) Thanks!

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
ToraShiro Since you like to be pinged in announcements. :P

Any word if Hatsuu is on this one? She's at Nexon America, but hopefully she's been able to assist here, as it'd be her only one absence otherwise. Thanks, and first, awesome thing to announce the Switch and PC versions at the same time despite the longer wait, and second, I hope you and all at NISA are doing well and are healthy! :) Thanks!

Not ready quite yet to talk staffing, maybe a little later down the line.

We know that the Trails of Cold Steel III announcement probably felt like a bit of a bait and Switch (ha), and resolved ourselves this time to make sure that we did the right thing and confirmed all platform out of the gate. Again, because of a few different limitations we are unable to offer a single release date for all SKUs but I would note that the time between all releases is planned to be a smaller window than Trails of Cold Steel III.

That's all I'm going to say for now, though, there is a lot of time left before launch and many exciting announcements that I am eager to share in due time. :D

EDIT: To all the people out there calling this a terrible day to announce, do ya'll like companies coming out and making concepts of lame or cool products that will never exist, or a company to come out and just announce something good on this day that will exist? So weird.

Last edited:

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
EDIT: To all the people out there calling this a terrible day to announce, do ya'll like companies coming out and making concepts of lame or cool products that will never exist, or a company to come out and just announce something good on this day that will exist? So weird.
Yep, this is my take too. Thank you for announcing this today, specially with the current climate.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

We know that the Trails of Cold Steel III announcement probably felt like a bit of a bait and Switch (ha), and resolved ourselves this time to make sure that we did the right thing and confirmed all platform out of the gate. Again, because of a few different limitations we are unable to offer a single release date for all SKUs but I would note that the time between all releases is planned to be a smaller window than Trails of Cold Steel III.

That's all I'm going to say for now, though, there is a lot of time left before launch and many exciting announcements that I am eager to share in due time. :D

Thank you for confirming a PC date upfront. Prevents a lot of temptation and speculation on my part lol

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

You have no idea how glad I am this is happening and announced this way.

There's no playing people with announcing only one platform and wait for the others which is very cool. We know what to expect.

Hope to see as many kiseki/trails as possible on all these platforms, especially Switch for me though.
Are the Trails in the Sky titles relevant to Cold Steel? Or can I play Cold Steel 1 & 2 on Vita and then jump into 3 & 4 on Switch? Are there any other LoH titles that are worth playing, besides the Trails games?
You can begin with 3 and if ever go back to older ones later if you have the opportunity.
Discovering some character's past can be as good as seeing them later.
It's just prequel vs sequel.

I'm currently playing 3 after forgetting a lot about 1 and 2 and the game is easing with some good character interactions giving some background.

The thing is, beginning with Cold Steel one technically wouldn't be enough if we go the "sequel is better than prequel" because you hear about some other regions and events for the world building.

Which is why actually beginning with CS3 doesn't matter as much as it's either you go in the Jp release order or you just go as you can and like.

The only important answer would be to begin with either Sky 1, Zero, CS 1 or CS 3, because these begin their own new little arc.

I used to think it's better to begin with Sky 1 and go full order, which is a good way for sure, but it's a complicated series to follow and its world is described in every game so it's more of a puzzle than a soap opera. Sky 1, 2, 3 is a puzzle, Zero and Ao another one, CS 1 and 2 a third puzzle, CS 3 and 4 another...
And each puzzle tie to each others in to form a bigger picture. But you can still have a solid picture without the whole. If it makes any sense lol.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Are the Trails in the Sky titles relevant to Cold Steel? Or can I play Cold Steel 1 & 2 on Vita and then jump into 3 & 4 on Switch? Are there any other LoH titles that are worth playing, besides the Trails games?

They are relevant. Trails in the Sky Trilogy and the Crossbell Trilogy are so relevant to the Erebonia arc that multiple characters from those episodes appears there.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
feels kind of crazy to start this series with cold steel 3 but i guess that's what i'm in for if i ever jump in
Here's the relevant answer:
You can begin with 3 and if ever go back to older ones later if you have the opportunity.
Discovering some character's past can be as good as seeing them later.
It's just prequel vs sequel.

I'm currently playing 3 after forgetting a lot about 1 and 2 and the game is easing with some good character interactions giving some background.

The thing is, beginning with Cold Steel one technically wouldn't be enough if we go the "sequel is better than prequel" because you hear about some other regions and events for the world building.

Which is why actually beginning with CS3 doesn't matter as much as it's either you go in the Jp release order or you just go as you can and like.

The only important answer would be to begin with either Sky 1, Zero, CS 1 or CS 3, because these begin their own new little arc.

I used to think it's better to begin with Sky 1 and go full order, which is a good way for sure, but it's a complicated series to follow and its world is described in every game so it's more of a puzzle than a soap opera. Sky 1, 2, 3 is a puzzle, Zero and Ao another one, CS 1 and 2 a third puzzle, CS 3 and 4 another...
And each puzzle tie to each others in to form a bigger picture. But you can still have a solid picture without the whole. If it makes any sense lol.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
CS3 turned out to be as good as it possibly could be, sans xseed itself localizing it. There are quibbles about certain things, but nothing even in the same state as ys8. NISA did a good job of it.
Not Xseed quality, but overall I'd say it was fine. The biggest things NISA fucked up were lore related inconsistencies that they recently fixed with a patch. For a first attempt at a Kiseki localization I'd say it was a good first attempt, however I'm not really willing to give NISA the benefit of the doubt yet. I hope they aim to improve their localizations over time and some of the lessons they learned in CS3 are applied to CS4.

One of the other issues I had with CS3 was that I also personally found the voice direction to be weaker than Xseed's previous works, which has personally started to make me consider playing the series with the JP dub.

It's good to hear it turned out OK. Thanks for the answers!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see PC confirmed even if far off. One of the reasons I held off 2 was not knowing for sure about 3, and then held off on both due to 4. Probably snag 2 in the next sale I see it on and get moving.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Time for the entry that double-downs on the harem antics. Woowee!

At least the Rean harem is over after this entry. I want to believe they'll start toning down all the stupid shit the Cold Steel games started to lean on starting with Hajimari and the next arc, but maybe I'm just too optimistic for my own good.

Oct 28, 2017
Pre-orders go up at noon (EU Store):
The Limited Edition Includes:
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
  • Collector's Box
  • "Twilight Resonance" Soundtrack CD
  • "The Complete Black Records" Hardcover Art Book
  • Ashen Awakener Steelbook
  • Daybreak Cloth Poster
  • Set of 7 Art Cards
qL3CJf7uluEXR8Kzh9V4YNM_yhjVDHPW9fahdMNF8ZTZXDExhHSee8GUnr1irbXgoYt-9iducSKcIZ9qDE96mWtJPuDlyVLycpN5PkxicOzpQ2FkgWzyZCuloLLIQyP8XnC2jIWgJF9Dc6fbbs_e4bUlCO1MyQ=s0-d-e1-ft

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Eh, I don't think anyone likes the Rean and Elise stuff. It's weird, but it's also pretty easy to overlook/ignore (or it was for me anyway)

I think I've put over 200 hours in the first 3 Cold Steel games, and Elise only makes the odd appearance every 40 or so hours

It's also a pretty tame game, I mean, one thing that is weird to me is that no one is in a relationship. Every character of every gender is single. The only married characters or characters in relationships are old coupes/parents of other characters

I don't watch a lot of anime so maybe it's an anime thing, but it only occured to me while playing CSIII that I've seen several years of this school and no one is dating anyone, at all, ever

Pre-orders go up at noon (EU Store):
The Limited Edition Includes:
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
  • Collector's Box
  • "Twilight Resonance" Soundtrack CD
  • "The Complete Black Records" Hardcover Art Book
  • Ashen Awakener Steelbook
  • Daybreak Cloth Poster
  • Set of 7 Art Cards

Do you have a link to this? I'm curious as to what it's going to cost

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Eh, I don't think anyone likes the Rean and Elise stuff. It's weird, but it's also pretty easy to overlook/ignore (or it was for me anyway)

I think I've put over 200 hours in the first 3 Cold Steel games, and Elise only makes the odd appearance every 40 or so hours

It's also a pretty tame game, I mean, one thing that is weird to me is that no one is in a relationship. Every character of every gender is single. The only married characters or characters in relationships are old coupes/parents of other characters

I don't watch a lot of anime so maybe it's an anime thing, but it only occured to me while playing CSIII that I've seen several years of this school and no one is dating anyone, at all, ever

It's stupid af that the old main class can't date anyone at all just because they're all a romance option for Rean, but that aside i'm pretty sure people from the other CS1/2 classes are dating each other, or atleast have anime styled romance development between them, like that country vendor girl and the dude from the bank family.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's stupid af that the old main class can't date anyone at all just because they're all a romance option for Rean, but that aside i'm pretty sure people from the other CS1/2 classes are dating each other, or atleast have anime styled romance development between them, like that country vendor girl and the dude from the bank family.

Yeah I suppose, and yeah it's lame how all the girls need to be an option for Rean, but still, there are other girls and guys in Thors that are not part of the party, and they don't date either

I just noticed how almost everyone in the game under 30 is single, and how weird that was

Oct 28, 2017

Do you have a link to this? I'm curious as to what it's going to cost
It was in the newsletter they sent out this morning, the pre-order link isn't active just yet.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah I suppose, and yeah it's lame how all the girls need to be an option for Rean, but still, there are other girls and guys in Thors that are not part of the party, and they don't date either

I just noticed how almost everyone in the game under 30 is single, and how weird that was

I mean, i think some of them do, they just don't make out in public places or something. It's normal to see couples in anime that won't like kiss in public or at all. If i'm not wrong, kissing kinda means they're already in the doing it phase of the relationship. It's sort of a Japan thing i guess.

The single worst thing in Cold Steel imo is how everyone knows Rean's pair is defined from the start and it's the only romance route that stuff happens, but devs still insists in these harem mechanics to appeal for the otaku.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, i think some of them do, they just don't make out in public places or something. It's normal to see couples in anime that won't like kiss in public or at all. If i'm not wrong, kissing kinda means they're already in the doing it phase of the relationship. It's sort of a Japan thing i guess.

The single worst thing in Cold Steel imo is how everyone knows Rean's pair is defined from the start and it's the only romance route that stuff happens, but devs still insists in these harem mechanics to appeal for the otaku.

Yeah I could 100% do without it. It makes even less sense in a series that spans a long period of time. In Persona games at least the story is normally only taking place over a year

I still love these games to death, but they do have a few annoying problems

Oct 27, 2017

I may be pretty selfish here and ask unreasonable things, but I hope after Cold Steel 4 the next point on your agenda is bringing Cold Steel 1 and 2 to Switch and Trails in the Sky to Switch and PS4.

This series really does not deserve to be fractured on every platform like it is now.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I'm near the start of Zero with Ao to play after and then CS3 to go through so this is good timing. Hopefully by the time it comes out I'll be on CS3 or even finished it by then.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I may be pretty selfish here and ask unreasonable things, but I hope after Cold Steel 4 the next point on your agenda is bringing Cold Steel 1 and 2 to Switch and Trails in the Sky to Switch and PS4.

This series really does not deserve to be fractured on every platform like it is now.

Xseed has the rights to those games so Nisa can't bring them over. Ask them instead.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, Falcom and XSEED probably broke up their partnership after XSEED chose not to license Tokyo Xanadu, due to it initially being Vita exclusive (even Aksys, who got the license, wasn't told about the PS4 port until the Japanese announcement and had to renegotiate for the port)

honestly I was not a fan of the Tokyo Xanadu localization. JP audio only, and for whatever fucking reason when a character scoffs/laughs, the script says [chortle]. It's like they didn't have a thesaurus around to look at. It's baffling

and this is coming from someone who typically likes Aksys releases. I thought Exist Archive had great ENG VA direction, guess it didn't sell well enough to justify a dub for future releases

Oct 28, 2017
Limited Edition up for pre-order on NISA's EU Store, £89.99:
store.nisaeurope.com

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Limited Edition - PS4® - NISA Europe Online Store

The Erebonian Empire is on the brink of all out war! Taking place shortly after the ending of Trails of Cold Steel III, the heroes of Class VII find themselves with the full force of the Empire on the path to domination. Further, the hero of the Erebonian Civil War and Class VII's instructor...
store.nisaeurope.com

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Limited Edition - Nintendo Switch™ - NISA Europe Online Store

The Erebonian Empire is on the brink of all out war! Taking place shortly after the ending of Trails of Cold Steel III, the heroes of Class VII find themselves with the full force of the Empire on the path to domination. Further, the hero of the Erebonian Civil War and Class VII's instructor...

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't bother buying CS3 if you're not playing the first 2 games first, you wouldn't have any idea what's going on. That's the bare minimum. I would recommend the older series before that, because all the series are built on each other
I really, really wish I'd played Trails of Zero before I played Cold Steel 3 too.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Just ordered my limited edition! This was such nice news to wake up to... CS3 is my favorite game of the gen so far, everything fired on all cylinders for me with that one (except the end chapter was a bit ... too ... much). Now to just hope for that Crossbell Kai and maybe even a Nayuta localization eventually.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't bother buying CS3 if you're not playing the first 2 games first, you wouldn't have any idea what's going on. That's the bare minimum. I would recommend the older series before that, because all the series are built on each other

maybe one day. subway commute + switch is the only way i'll be able to get through this epic (and i'd like to, one day)