• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The game is out September 27th in the EU as well.

The trailer has spoilers if you haven't played the first two.

D8s-TjEU8AAXeQs.jpg:large

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting it to be that early in their Fall 2019 release window. Hope it doesn't end up feeling rushed.

Does the trailer contain spoilers for Zero and Ao as well?

In this specific trailer not really, but everything before CS3 is pretty much fair game at this point for spoilers so you should go in expecting them.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
September starting to pack some serious heat as well.

What (if any) legal ways are there to play Zero and Ao?

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In this specific trailer not really, but everything before CS3 is pretty much fair game at this point for spoilers so you should go in expecting them.

Yeah, I know.
I was hoping that at least the fan translation of zero would be finished before CS3 release, but it doesn't look like it's happening. Plan was to play the fan translation and then continue to play Ao with the English script next to me. Guess I'll just have to postpone playing CS3 for now =/

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding onto hope for a port. Since having more Kiseki on my computer, I can't go back.
Here's to hoping the quality of the localization (and any port job) is up to snuff.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YEEESSSSSSSSSSSS GIVE IT TO ME, No CE though? Even just a packaging ala Relentless Edition?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I guess I need to finish up the epilogue of Cold steel 2. I stopped at the beginning of it cause I didn't know how long I'd have to wait for 3, no excuse now.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know.
I was hoping that at least the fan translation of zero would be finished before CS3 release, but it doesn't look like it's happening. Plan was to play the fan translation and then continue to play Ao with the English script next to me. Guess I'll just have to postpone playing CS3 for now =/

As bad as the current Zero translation is, it's still pretty playable. The current group is using that as a base anyway. Ao current edited translation is way better than Zero's so it's a better experience. I say go in now. If Zero/Ao ever get official localizations you can always go back to them.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah yeah, of course, this year wasn't quite busy enough already :P

Very excited for this, but I will have see how things go gaming schedule-wise: it's a very busy year! Really want to continue the saga, though!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As bad as the current Zero translation is, it's still pretty playable. The current group is using that as a base anyway. Ao current edited translation is way better than Zero's so it's a better experience. I say go in now. If Zero/Ao ever get official localizations you can always go back to them.
Is it YS8 level bad? I think I can stomach that level of translation lol

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Hyped to finally continue, it's been far too long. Nothing transfers from 2 to 3, right? Played 2 on vita, and obviously won't play 3 there.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know.

Zerker's gotten really busy with real life stuff. It's still happening, but not much you can do at this point but either wait or play the really scuffed Zero TL.

Well, there's always the learn JP route.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ps4 huh, well i am glad i don't like the cold steel saga that much anyways.

its not like i want it or anything

156004055631197j1p.jpg

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Just feels bad to go in with the sub-par translation after waiting patiently for the polished version for so long.

Zerker's gotten really busy with real life stuff. It's still happening, but not much you can do at this point but either wait or play the really scuffed Zero TL.

Well, there's always the learn JP route.

I am actually conversational in Japanese, but my reading comprehension is definitely much worse than listening and speaking due to a lack of Kanji and grammar knowledge. Probably enough to play something like Dragon Quest but not Trails.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Just feels bad to go in with the sub-par translation after waiting patiently for the polished version for so long.
You'll at least have a relatively consistent experience with the Ao translation. If you want to play both of them with a quality translation you're probably gonna have to wait another 3-4 years.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Is it Engrish level like google translate level for Sword Art Online game (the first one, not the rerelease even)?
Hard to say because it's super inconsistent. Some lines are fine but others are google translated for sure. It's still legible as a whole but most characters sound like they've never interacted with another humain being before. It's still worth it imo though.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You'll at least have a relatively consistent experience with the Ao translation. If you want to play both of them with a quality translation you're probably gonna have to wait another 3-4 years.

I'd be fine with the current Ao translation as I really don't want to wait 3-4 years, but since the polished Zero translation seems so close I wanted to at least hold out for that one.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this series good?
trails in general or the cold steel saga in particular? trails in general i'd say yes, but cold steel can be hit or miss (I mean.. so can be the whole series, the slow pace is not for anyone really). its not like trails was never tropey or anything, quite the opposite. but i guess i like the tropes of ye olde days more than the modern ones lol. nevertheless, all games will give you great value for your money with expansive stories and nice characters and neat battle systems. if you can help it, you should get as many trails games on pc as possible, as they feature a fast forward mode where you can speed things up

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Either I have to get through the first two games by then, or just wait to see if a PC port happens at some point.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually conversational in Japanese, but my reading comprehension is definitely much worse than listening and speaking due to a lack of Kanji and grammar knowledge. Probably enough to play something like Dragon Quest but not Trails.

Yeah Trails has some of the more complex usage of Kanji in a game from what I've seen from the small time I've spent with it. It probably gets a lot more complex too the deeper you dive into the games.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NISA store exclusive?
Hahaha. One minute it's this:

The next it's more readable like this:

But even example #2 isn't perfect.
Pass for me, that's really bad and I would hate myself if my 1st experience would be that version, Crossbell games are considered the best there is in the franchise

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good release date.

September starting to pack some serious heat as well.

What (if any) legal ways are there to play Zero and Ao?
You can buy both games in Japanese legally on PSP and Vita. The Vita Evolution versions are ports that add voice acting, are at a higher resolution, with redone system and soundtracks. There's a pretty strong consensus against these new soundtracks in the community tbh.

Only Zero has a Japanese PC version (available on dlsite for example), while Ao has no Japanese PC version, but has a PC Chinese port.

There's no good option to play them in English. Zero has an awfully mangled fantranslation that reads like a mix of machine translation and a really bad, stiff literal translation. It's being redone right now but it's been going through the editing phase for something like 2 years, with no end in sight. From what I've seen, Ao has a passable English fantranslation.
These translations are available on PSP and PC. Only Zero's translation has been ported to Vita.

Oct 28, 2017

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Is this series good?

Very much so. Some of the strongest character writing and world building of any franchise I've ever played. It's biggest flaws come with it's budget, there's some real uneven pacing, especially in the games that weren't planned to be sequels (SC and CS2 specifically) and some real sus dungeon design in the earlier games moreso, but the gameplay more than makes up for it. They're a slow burn, but I highly recommend checking out Trails in the Sky First Chapter on PC. It goes on sale for $10 pretty often and is a very good indicator (and just a solid game in general) of whether Trails is for you.