• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
My top pick is Freedom Wars - a fantastic trailer, unfortunately I don't think it helped the game sell much over here:

I also often re-watch trailers for visual novels, which probably sounds strange, but I usually love the art style and music in them.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Just watched this the other day. Love me some Abyss Watchers, so always get hype for that part and also Yhorm.

From the trailers posted here though, that Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer is freaking incredible. I had to Iron to my playlist after watching it too many times then the Spiteful Chant later on.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

It was all fake, scripted bullshit, but the Duke Nukem Forever Anniversary Trailer from E3 2001 was unreal to me, and all these years later is still a masterfully cut together trailer. It's so ludicrously bombastic in its soundtrack, self indulgent in delusions of grandeur for Duke Nukem as a character and franchise, riddled with seemingly massively varied locations, set pieces, combat encounters, gimmicks, and features. As a video game it's a perfect sweet spot of Late 80s early 90s action pulp. It looks dumb as fuck and very conscious of it, but playing it totally seriously. And watching all those sequences stitched together conjures so much anticipation and excitement, just wondering how the fuck does all this tie together.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly... the Dead or Alive 3 trailer.

I never even actually played the game. I just thought it was a well put-together trailer. I still have it on my hard drive.

It was all fake, scripted bullshit, but the Duke Nukem Forever Anniversary Trailer from E3 2001 was unreal to me, and all these years later is still a masterfully cut together trailer. It's so ludicrously bombastic in its soundtrack, self indulgent in delusions of grandeur for Duke Nukem as a character and franchise, riddled with seemingly massively varied locations, set pieces, combat encounters, gimmicks, and features. As a video game it's a perfect sweet spot of Late 80s early 90s action pulp. It looks dumb as fuck and very conscious of it, but playing it totally seriously. And watching all those sequences stitched together conjures so much anticipation and excitement, just wondering how the fuck does all this tie together.

This was such a good trailer. It felt like such an early 90's action flick trailer, but they made it look like it was put together completely from gameplay footage. They basically made it look like the ultimate Unreal 1 FPS.

HOSKINGJ

Jan 5, 2018
Hot damn! What is this game?!

It's a pretend "remaster" of an old (in real life fictional) game. It's a 2D side scroller somewhat akin to Another World/Prince of Persia with, in my view, simply stunning art direction and audio. The developer really wants to get it in Switch and is having the conversations but who knows. I have a backlog but am 100% playing this one through a little on down the line...

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A ton of Kojima's trailers are masterpieces. I tend to go back to these two the most.

The Phantom Pain trailer ended up being better than the game to me.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
MGS2
WoW Wrath of the Lich King
AC2

But if i can only pick one... It is going to be WotLK

Blizzard trailers are the best

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I loved Horizon Zero Dawns reveal trailer,really set the game up great I thought,and I liked the music too.I've watched that a few times since.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ooooh, a trailer thread! I love me some good videogame trailers.

The live reveal for DOnkey Kong Country Returns is fantastic. It shows so much in such a small amount of time.

The only nitpick I have is that the music starts a good 5-10 seconds too early (or fades in too quickly). Otherwise...totally sublime. This is how you reveal not just a game, but a (no pun intended) return of a series. (This video also reminds me that while Nintendo Directs are cool and probably even better, I still do miss when Nintendo did press conferences due to their live reactions. You can actually hear the cheers from the audience during the trailer when they realized what exactly was happening.)

Sonic has also had a fair amount of good trailers. The one that sticks with me the most is the original reveal trailer for Mania at the 25th anniversary party. The moment Whitehead and Headcannon's name came up after "in association with" I was ecstatic, I knew the game was in good hands. Combined with how the trailer was put together and the music...pure bliss. The Pre-Order trailer with Tyson Heese's sketch animation was fabulous as well.

Mania aside, say what you will about Sonic Unleashed as a game, but between the Mazuri trailer (that was leaked prior to the official upload and had the "prototype" music for the level), the "High Europe" trailer with Spagonia, and the E3 trailer which featured the theme song "Endless Possibility" (linked below), you can't say the marketing team didn't know how to promote the game, especially stuff like the "found footage" Werehog trailer as well as the Night of the Werehog CG short. Really writes in stone how Unleashed for quite a few fans felt as something of a "last hurrah" for Sonic in the presentation department just before the current era of modern Sonic titles. And while we all know how the final game turned out...I still rather like the E3 trailer for Sonic 2006; largely due to that instrumental cover of His World.

I also can't get enough of the Super Mario Odyssey trailers. Both the original at the Switch Presentation and the E3 trailer. It's a dead heat between which one of them I like better.

And I'm astounded nobody's mentioned any of the character reveal trailers for Smash Bros. 4 and Smash Ultimate. The highlights for me are the ones for Mega Man, Cloud, and King K Rool (below). They're also one of the few trailers I love watching reaction videos for of people absolutely losing their shit with excitement when characters are revealed. The teaser reveal for Ultimate in particular with the Inklings was also a standout example of marketing.