• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what they do with Starlight Express
848xkHO.png

Starlight express, Starlight express!!

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have an much of an issue with the look. Its the look of the theater play, and its just a movie adaptation of it. So keep the look, since it is the recognizable visual look of the famous play (as ugly as it may seem now on initial sight). It is a musical, so this may work for that type of film. Will wait and see.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looks... wrong, to say the least. I don't want to hate on it for the sake of it, but the whole time I was looking at the trailer it just felt... off. They have these cats with somewhat realistic sizes, but they're humanoid, so actually the worlds are like gigantic, and these look like tiny cat-like men dancing on tables and trashcans and whatnot. In some scenes the faces almost look like deep fakes with how "off" they feel, in others they seem well applied but the general look seems odd. Like, a weird furry-esque sexualization of human bodies but with cat elements, something that you usually see in some odd Japanese stuff, certainly not in a Western production with all the biggest actors. There's some good imagery here and there but it just feels kinda uncomfortable to me, it's hard to even point a finger as to what's weirder to me about all this.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I, uh, wow.

I remember seeing the original stage play as a teenager, along with the rest of my media class - the teacher thought we'd all hate it. It turns out everybody fucking loved it, including myself.

But. Uhm. Wow. I... did not expect a full blown movie.
And in this style. I'm somewhere between confused, baffled, impressed, and curious.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
v
So, should I feel ashamed at feeling that Memory is kinda great?

Cats is cheesy, and this movie looks dumb, but Memory is a absolutely fantastic song. It's a large part of why the musical became a sensation to begin with.

Watching Elaine Paige sing this can bring me to tears
youtu.be

Memory (Reprise) | Cats the Musical

Grizabella (Elaine Page) performs Memory from the 1998 production of Cats.Buy tickets for your nearest CATS performance now:http://www.catsthemusical.com/see...

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm struggling to figure out how this was made. Is this human actors in motion capture suits on real sets and then CG'ed to add the cat fur and features? Is it completely CG with real actor's faces superimposed?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
the faces are so photorealistically human that they end up drawing attention to how not-human the other parts of their designs are in a way that more stylized or more cat-like faces likely wouldn't, and in a way that obviously wouldn't be an issue if they had just used makeup and costumes more akin to the stage version. it's very weird and off-putting

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Does this take place in same cinematic universe as Sonic movie?