• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't great, but I had fun . I found it a very pleasant movie to pay half attention to in a lazy evening .
And Rachel McAdammas got some seriously great pipes on her, who knew .

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
It wasn't great, but I had fun . I found it a very pleasant movie to pay half attention to in a lazy evening .
And Rachel McAdammas got some seriously great pipes on her, who knew .
She's actually lip-syncing! Molly Sandén, well-known among ESC-diehards for competing in Sweden's preselection contest Melodifestivalen, does her vocals for the songs.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
America please, don't fast forward pass shit.
You just discovered the Eurovision, but you are just scratching the surface.
Learn about strategic block voting and how observing how countries vote is probably best way to learn about the history of the Balkans.
We're jumping to the shitty comedy phase waaaaaaaaaaaay to soon.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I totally loved it! It has great music, likable characters, a lot of humor and heart. The sing along in the middle as well as the finale gave me goosebumps. Never thought this could be nearly as good as it is. Top five Will Ferrell movies for me.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait Spain doesn't compete in the semifinals, what the fuck

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
One random odd after thought is that Dan steven's character, while been played as an antagonist, always came as much more sympathetic then Will ferrel's character .
Also, the greek singer is Assain creed's Kassandra voice actress, so thats cool .

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Haha Eurovision is a cluster fuck. You could enter a cat against the UK and it would win.

This movie captures the craziness perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
It has too much plot for what it is... but I really enjoyed it!

Really captured Eurovision and filled a little bit of the hole that was in my heart from it's absence this year.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This was actually quite fantastic. Loved it pretty much top to bottom.
It's cool runnings meets pitch perfect. Wholesome and fun with a ton of sigur Ros in the background :)

never

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I watched this last night. It was really fun. A lot better than I thought it would be.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
One random odd after thought is that Dan steven's character, while been played as an antagonist, always came as much more sympathetic then Will ferrel's character .
Also, the greek singer is Assain creed's Kassandra voice actress, so thats cool .
I think this was intentional. The bad guy wasn't really a bad guy.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"The elves went too far"
lol

I was skeptical, but this won me over and I gave in to the silliness

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I expected this to go in much harsher on the Eurovision Songcontest and mock the silliness. Felt like some jokes were left on the table but on the other hand it turned into a nice feel good movie about halfway through so maybe that wasn't actually that bad.

I have to admit, the scene where
the points are trickling in for Iceland got me teary eyed

Last edited:

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I expected this to go in much harsher on the Eurovision Songcontest and mock the silliness. Felt like some jokes were left on the table but on the other hand it turned into a nice feel good movie about halfway through so maybe that wasn't actually that bad.

This was the fear among a lot of the fandom, that it would mock fans/artists and lean heavily into negative stereotypes.

But I think Ferrell actually attending the contest in 2018 and talking with artists and fans did a lot; there were tons of cameos and lines that were clearly nods to ESC fans and the entire "song-a-long" sequence didn't even need to be a part of the film, it was just pure fanservice.

Perhaps ironically the most accurate part of the film was the zaniness of the songs/performances themselves lol

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last night and it did absolutely nothing for me. I like pretty much all the main cast members, Rachel McAdams, Dan Stevens, and Pierce Brosnan are all actors I enjoy watching, and while Farrell is pretty hit or miss for me, I find that when he hits he hits pretty hard. I just found this so thoroughly mediocre, I think I laughed like once.

It's not an unwatchable dumpster fire or anything, I enjoyed the songs quite a bit, but for a comedy I think they just played the competition way too straight. The whole movie felt more like an ad for Eurovision more than anything.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Most of the songs were indistinguishable from the real thing

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
At the end when they were doing the cast cards they showed Pierce Brosnan with two nationalities, but then they didn't do the same with Melissanthi Mahut.

source.gif

I can't get this song out of my head lol

Also, did they not do a full version of the song 21st Century Viking was singing, because it's not on the Spotify soundtrack, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else?

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely sceptical about americans making a Eurovision movie but they actually captured the spirit of the show pretty well.

That was really enjoyable overall and filled part of the void left due to the cancelled contest this year.

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
GF and I watched this last night and I was shocked how much I enjoyed it. It was surprisingly heartfelt with some legitimately great music and performances.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Went in expecting to turn it off in 20 minutes, but I was hooked. Surprisingly fun movie.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I was extremely sceptical about americans making a Eurovision movie but they actually captured the spirit of the show pretty well.

That was really enjoyable overall and filled part of the void left due to the cancelled contest this year.
Seems like the creators are fans of the contest. Ferrel's wife is Swedish and got him hooked on it years ago.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
For anyone curious why they kept joking about Lars and Sigrit being brother and sister, incest is a real concern in Iceland. So much so that there's an app for that.

www.bbc.com

App stops you dating close relatives

Spencer Kelly explores how Icelandic people are using technology to make sure genetic similarities do not get too close.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It was cute and the music was actually great.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

It reminded me of Galaxy Quest in that it's not being mean spirited about what its joking about.

jgwhiteus

Oct 30, 2017
I watched it today based off this thread and really enjoyed it - some really well-crafted songs sung by extremely talented singers/voice doubles (I'm surprised Ja Ja Ding Dong isn't an actual folk-pop song, it's so catchy), some funny lines, and good performances from Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens in particular. I think it helps if you manage expectations before going in - if you're expecting a raunchy sex comedy or rapid-fire laugh-out-loud gags, or a vicious send-up and parody of Eurovision, you'll be disappointed. The movie is surprisingly...tender? and earnest in tone, and pretty casual in its pacing.

Even though some of the jokes fell flat for me I found that I had a smile on my face a lot of the time. And the message delivered by Rachel's character - that the contest isn't about winning or losing, but being surrounded by a community of fellow global artists and getting to share your country's creativity and traditions - hit home for me. I guess I really needed to see something with a feel-good message of unity and camaraderie.

I was a little surprised to see it was the most-watched/number 1 feature on Netflix in the U.S. today, although I guess with Will Ferrell's name attached it was always going to get attention. I hope it continues to do well.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
All right I looked up Ja Ja DIng Dong and god damn it Era, thanks to this thread I will now need to watch this.