• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how the trailer is blatantly framing him as a bad religious brown guy from Syria who has sinister motives, it'd be more of a twist if he was actually the second coming of Jesus.
Yeah, not gonna lie. After watching that trailer I don't know how anyone would think otherwise. "Convert You"/"Con You". It's pretty blatant what it's about.

Genuinely, the more subversive way to to market this (and maybe produce it) would have been to frame it as some sort of "God's (Not) Dead" style religious pablum. Get the "family friendly"/evangelical set to buy in, and then subtle-y start introducing that the second coming character is in fact that anti-Christ.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I had no idea about the name and I still thought he was the anti-Christ from the first time I watched the trailer in the TV Cancellation thread. lol

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That looks very interesting and will definitely watch, the trailer kinda gives away the twist anyway with the way the guy is framed.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this twist is revealed half-way through the season at the latest with the way this is being advertised.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Considering how the trailer is blatantly framing him as a bad religious brown guy from Syria who has sinister motives, it'd be more of a twist if he was actually the second coming of Jesus.
100%

"We need someone who embodies that force of malevolence... Cast a brown guy!"

"So shall we look into who we can cast as a brown Jesus too?"

"Jesus wasn't brown, he was a good guy."

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm now convinced the twist is going to be something completely different than the dude being the antichrist cause yeah, that trailer is pretty blatant.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
OP produced, wrote, and marketed this show, as well as named the character in question, then wrote this OP. Fails all around. Thanks.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Most people who study islam know about dajjal... i'm not sure why they think they can hide the twist

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
100%

"We need someone who embodies that force of malevolence... Cast a brown guy!"

"So shall we look into who we can cast as a brown Jesus too?"

"Jesus wasn't brown, he was a good guy."

And just like that I'm reminded of John McCain and his response to that nutter who kept accusing Obama of being Arab.

"No ma'am, he's a decent family man."

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is not a plot twist if you put it in the casting call. No need to care about Netflix' stupidity.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Let me guess, his first and main followers will be muslims? Even though he says he is the son of god?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
sounds and looks good, probably would not have been interested without the spoiler

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

FatalT

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I wouldn't have given two shits about this show if I hadn't been told this. I have zero interest in western religious propaganda but if this is actually Islamic-based, I'll watch it.

I just did some reading on what the Islamic apocalypse is supposed to be and it sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than the Christian one. Gimme that big chimera beast with decent CGI and make Gog and Magog appear as actual monster-esque aberrations.

I would have never looked up any of this if it wasn't for that "twist" being spoiled.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'll join the chorus of those that wouldn't have watched this if not for being spoiled (also for Michelle. I had no idea she was in this). I had absolutely no desire to watch this when I read the original summary in the Dec TV watch thread. Now I'm definitely on board

Dec 31, 2017
Lol damn they fucked up on that one. Every muslim will know who the fuck Dajjal is.

Watching the trailer it's even worse, they really ruined their own god damn twist. But it's good people are becoming more aware of it; the Islamic apocalypse prediction is pretty wild.

Let me guess, his first and main followers will be muslims? Even though he says he is the son of god?

Well muslims believe in jesus, the second coming, and it's the same god. But i'm interested to see if the show uses him as a villain predominantly fueled by "brown middle eastern guy" tropes.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious from the tone of the trailer that he isnt a good guy lol

Dec 31, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious from the tone of the trailer that he isnt a good guy lol

Yeah but I also think that there is plausible deniability here; like in a "realistic" situation where Jesus returns, he would look like that guy, and probably act like that guy, and it would look weird and suspicious to all of us in the modern world. He's not gonna look like white benevolent USA jesus.

So there are 2 possible twists that can be interpreted from the trailer:

1) Either he is jesus and people don't believe him because of either preconceived notions or the incredulous deeds he's accomplishing.

2) Or he is the anti-christ.

Naming him Dajjal is so damn obvious. It's like if there was an arabic show of the same concept, same trailer, and you named the guy "anti-christ."

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Considering the trailer it would have been a much better show if he really was the second coming and had to face all the trouble and prejudice

Or maybe it will go into apocalypse territory and it is all well xD

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but I also think that there is plausible deniability here; like in a "realistic" situation where Jesus returns, he would look like that guy, and probably act like that guy, and it would look weird and suspicious to all of us in the modern world. He's not gonna look like white benevolent USA jesus.
Oh yeah absolutely, I think an actual good twist would be that after being demonized for a whole season it turns out he is actually the messiah and has done nothing wrong lol, but the way they have written this is really dumb

Dec 31, 2017
Considering the trailer it would have been a much better show if he really was the second coming and had to face all the trouble and prejudice

Or maybe it will go into apocalypse territory and it is all well xD
Oh yeah absolutely, I think an actual good twist would be that after being demonized for a whole season it turns out he is actually the messiah and has done nothing wrong lol, but the way they have written this is really dumb

Yeah exactly, there was room for interpretation in both ways, which is why I think they botched it with the casting name haha.

I mean I also think OP shouldn't have blasted it in the title LMAO.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Execs: Hmm. Our test audiences caught on to the twist immediately. What if we use a burner Twitter account to create some drama about this and get a bit of buzz going about the show? Yeah, people hate spoilers, right? Get our best social media engineer on the job!

Maybe I'm cynical. But how could they not have anticipated this.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are angry at the OP. Netflix completely fucked up, at that point it basically becomes news. I think it is pretty disingenuous to act as if you would have stopped reading his post in case one day you decided to watch the series when you were bored on Netflix. It's a pretty interesting fuck up and probably more interesting than the show.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
The trailer didn't make me think he might be the anti-christ. It implied he might be a con man. Even knowing the twist, I'm in. Netflix keeps delivering interesting shows and movies.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd just like to point out that Jesus actually would have had shorter hair, it was the fashion of the time. Plus a carpenter in the ancient world would not have been skinny, Jesus would have been built if he had existed. This weird skinny long hair look they are going for in the trailer always annoys me.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just having the show be named Messiah and then imply there's a twist to the narrative by posing the question would be enough to spoil it, irregardless of casting name or OP wording, I would think? Occam's Razor.

"Hey guys, have a look at our new show called The Good Guy!"
"Can you figure out who he
really is?"

Netflix marketing dun goofed.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The show will be bad. I had friends who worked on it and yeah...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of reminds me of John Carpenter's The Thing where if you understood Norwegian then you instantly knew the entire plotline as they're screaming it at the maincast in the beginning of the movie but they can't understand them.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why people are angry at the OP. Netflix completely fucked up, at that point it basically becomes news. I think it is pretty disingenuous to act as if you would have stopped reading his post in case one day you decided to watch the series when you were bored on Netflix. It's a pretty interesting fuck up and probably more interesting than the show.

It was in the title. People didn't even get the chance to decide if they wanted to click on the thread and find out what it was about.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
well I said to a friend "he better actually be satan" so I guess I wasnt far off. It's not exactly the hardest "twist" to guess, the show looks shockingly alright tho

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Ngl the trailer is what made it bait... "convert you/ con you".

Anyway clearly the team thinks they are smarter than they actually are lol.
Or actually, it's just good marketing. I didn't even hear about this till my social media had posts about a Dajjal show.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So waiiit... The writer named the protagonist with a name that spoils the plot twist, but because it's in arabic, which I'm told is a language that is alive and well, they thought nobody would realize that?

Galaxy brain moment right there.
I guess it depends on when that name is actually revealed in the show. Maybe his name was meant to be some big twist when someone finds his birth certificate. On IMDB he's only listed as "Al-Masih"

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I watched the trailer and him being the antichrist is really supposed to be a big twist? Like, even they named him Jeff it would be clear what the deal is by this freaking trailer alone.

Hopefully this "surprise" isn't the only thing this has going for it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the premise out of the box seems to paint itself into a corner, even if the show ends up halfway decent

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
No it absolutely sucks for those people.

But you are spoiling for everyone else by putting it in the fucking thread title guy!
Being knowledgeable of history and religion absolutely doesn't suck cause....it """spoils""" some bad Netflix show? Lol

Thats like complaining that(The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford) spoiled the story in its title itself, when it is based on real story, or history spoiling all assassin's creed games and oda nobunaga shows lol

we are in a point where people would rather be willfully ignorant so they wouldn't be "spoiled" for tv shows and movies instead of actually learning history, and then complain when history spoils them lol , thats the price you pay when you base your story on historical events or historical predictions, dumb Netflix

Oct 25, 2017
Lol yea this was totally an accident and not some manufactured ass controversy for social media. Seems to be working as intended too. Dude is portrayed as evil throughout the trailer and it doesn't leave much to the imagination.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trailer looks nice but it would have been cool if it wasn't so obvious that he is not a good guy at all

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
spoiler culture has come so far that people itt are complaining about someone spoiling a poorly hidden plot twist from a shitty netflix show they never plan on watching
And from something known for thousands of years no less , poor people who lived and died all those years, they never knew that they were actually spoiled a Netflix show all that time and never realized it :(