• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got excited for a new Yorgos Lanthimos project for a second before I realized. Regardless, that did indeed look great!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
My roommate's doing social media work for the show, so I've "overheard" a lot of the show already, and it's fucking great. Even more of a straight comedy than The Favourite, and Nicholas Hoult's in beast mode the whole time.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Currently up to episode 4 and I like it. I enjoy period pieces that don't take themselves too seriously. Fantastic costume design and a good cast of funny characters.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished it, ended on a giant cliffhanger. the title better be wrong and there's a second season coming.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
this show is ok but it's not at all funny or clever, it's just kind of what you'd expect from a dramedy. there is a lot of sex though, so thanks Hulu

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
5 or so episodes in and Hoult is a riot in this. Just a shit eating grin on both his and my face as I watch him being a total asshole.

His performance has this wide eyed Tomā€”Cruise-jumping-on-Oprah's-couch manic energy that's a ton of fun.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Watched this over the weekend and pretty much loved it. Really fun show and Nicholas Hoult is a treasure.

I am happy with the ending, but wouldn't mind giving a second season a chance if they make one. Also, I am glad I didn't brush up on Russian history before watching this, but it may be understandable if I view this as something that is coming from Catherine's perspective.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching an episode a day since Sunday, I've really been enjoying this. Sacha Dhawan's Orlo may be my favorite character but it's really hard to pick one. Costumes are fucking beautiful, to say nothing of the cast.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is no one watching this? I'm having a great time with it, it's scratching that "Marie Antoinette" itch and the main actors are fantastic. I already loved Elle Fanning and Hoult is doing a great job. It's a very fun show that contrasts with the usual depressing mood most shows aim for nowadays.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Is no one watching this? I'm having a great time with it, it's scratching that "Marie Antoinette" itch and the main actors are fantastic. I already loved Elle Fanning and Hoult is doing a great job. It's a very fun show that contrasts with the usual depressing mood most shows aim for nowadays.
I binged it all in two days. I went in expecting an anachronistic comedy, and in some senses it's still that, but it ended up skewing closer to a true period piece than I expected. Fantastic performances all around but a particular shout out to Fanning and Hoult who deliver top notch acting here. Funny and irreverent the show straddles a fine line between Veep like satire and lush Victorian drama (but spends most of it's time as satire). I think one of the reasons it's so well realized is the actors fully buying into the series. Despite having broad comedic gags about things like torture and infanticide when the moment calls for gravitas or empathy an actor is always there to sell it wholeheartedly. It's those moments that ground the whole show and further your investment in the characters and the story. Really can't recommend it enough to anyone that's interested

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This was fantastically entertaining with surprisingly high production values. Love me some quality costume drama with sharp, witty dialogue. Clever at every turn.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Surprised more people aren't watching this. It was a solid production the whole way through. Well written and provocative. Makes you feel a lot of the emotional spectrum.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
My gf and I queued this up expecting more of a historical drama, boy were we surprised. Great writing aside, I have to say that I do appreciate the color-blind British casting with zero attempt at anyone disguising their accents. It just adds to the surreal nature of the show. Still a few episodes away from the end of S1.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised more people aren't watching this. It was a solid production the whole way through. Well written and provocative. Makes you feel a lot of the emotional spectrum.
I've been going through it steadily with my wife. Besides a few moments here and there it is amazing.

My only complaint is that I wish they wouldn't ruin the writing so infrequent but jarring "jokes" from modern day. Like, I know this was written in modern times, I don't need you reminding me.

Still, people should be watching this....and also the Favorite.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When and where will this show up in the UK? The Favourite was great but have doubts this can touch its artistic direction and cinematography.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
When and where will this show up in the UK? The Favourite was great but have doubts this can touch its artistic direction and cinematography.

It doesn't, but it's also not really trying to ape Yanthimos's direction. My wife dipped out of The Favourite early on because she hated the fish-eye lens but she watched all of this in enjoyment. It's also significantly less oppressively bleak in terms of tone.

Show itself may have been two eps too long but I'm excited about whatever the second season might be. Hoping Dhawan gets more time, he was lovely.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It doesn't, but it's also not really trying to ape Yanthimos's direction. My wife dipped out of The Favourite early on because she hated the fish-eye lens but she watched all of this in enjoyment. It's also significantly less oppressively bleak in terms of tone.

Show itself may have been two eps too long but I'm excited about whatever the second season might be. Hoping Dhawan gets more time, he was lovely.
Yeah I had a feeling it's not gonna be as bleak, the ending of the film is brutal as with most Lanthimos endings.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Watched this a couple weeks ago and was pretty mixed on it. It dragged on a bit too much and Nicolas Hoult's routine got pretty old a few episodes in.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok I'm already loving it from the first episode!

The sex monologue and then the actual act šŸ¤£

Catherine: My mother has explained everything. [...] The man caresses you softly, pressing his lips to yours. Your breasts and skin awaken and shiver with palpitating joy. Between your legs quivers and moistens with longing. He enters you and you become one. Your bodies meld, your souls mesh. As a sensation takes hold of you, you fall into a black sky filled with the shiniest of stars. You float for a time in ecstasy, before waves of pleasure push and pull you back into your body. Your body ushers forth yelps, and sometimes song, before he and you explode within, collapsing together, spent and unified. Then, you lay together, laughing softly, weeping occasionally with ecstatic joy, and finally, he wraps his arms around you, whispers poetry softly into your ear, and you fall into a... delicious sleep.​
Marial: Yep, that's pretty much it.​
Peter: "This is mother." *dead body encased in a glass case*
Catherine: "She's pretty." šŸ˜