• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
Only found out about this from Tom's appearance on Hardcore History. Glad i did, this was a fantastic movie.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, signed up for a free + trial only to realize sony tvs aren't supported. Should have done my research first. Will figure something out tomorrow.

Excited about all the positive impressions.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, signed up for a free + trial only to realize sony tvs aren't supported. Should have done my research first. Will figure something out tomorrow.

You can access the service from within a browser so if you have any device that can plug in or mirror to the tv that should work

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this now and its great. Trailer looked generic as fuck but this has been really tense and well done all throughout.
I'm in process of watching this now. What an absolute treat. The video quality is off the charts and the Atmos soundtrack is freaking astounding. What an awesome movie.
The sound so far is damn good.
I hate this forum sometimes lol.
Just watch the goddamn movie.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this forum sometimes lol.
Just watch the goddamn movie.
Well my post was the first since mid June in this thread so got people talking again. And honestly i dont see a problem with me taking a bathroom break 50 minutes into a streaming movie I can pause and posting that this was way better than i expected.

So uh, loosen up is the kind way to put it.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Why does Apple make it so hard to stream their content? I can't get the app on consoles and not able to get it on my TV. Just let people stream shit like every single other service.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Why does Apple make it so hard to stream their content? I can't get the app on consoles and not able to get it on my TV. Just let people stream shit like every single other service.

Yeah it sucks that the app is only available on some devices. Cheapest way to get the Apple TV app seems to be the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, I bought one to access my iTunes movies and Apple TV+. But you can't use Apple Music or AirPlay with the app, unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
Really pleasantly surprised by the movie. Definitely a history/military buff movie as a ton of the dialogue and tension is built through relaying commands.

The sound mixing and choices are a real standout though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Not unless I've seen the movie before or my wife is forcing me to watch something that we both know is bad - like the other night when I had to watch Jewel of the Nile.

My condolences on Jewel of the Nile. Watch a good 80's movie as a palette cleanser.

I'll be watching Greyhound tomorrow night. I will do my best to pay attention and not multitask.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Only way I can watch this is via my laptop 'ugh'

great impressions on here though, looking forward to it

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
phew - happy to hear good impressions. honestly the shit trailer and the saturation advertising that has me actively muting my ipad anytime it come up so I don't have to hear 'rain hell from on high' for the millionth time had put me off completely even though TH and the premise had me interested.

Its like Michael Bay did the audio mixing for the trailer its obnoxious

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Only way I can watch this is via my laptop 'ugh'
great impressions on here though, looking forward to it

Same. The only way I can watch Apple TV stuff is a chromebook attached to a TV via HDMI. It's really not ideal. The apple player on chrome frankly is subpar. I watched the Beastie Boys this way and it just wasn't great. I would like to see this with good picture and sound. I'm sure it'll be "fine" (the experience not the actual film) but it sucks.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Damn fine movie. It basically just one long sea battle, heavy on the naval commands.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to watch the movie in the coming days.

For the people complaining about a warship "drifting"... Different circumstances obviously but how about a Supercarrier doing a drift?

Every new carrier has to perform high speed tight turn manoeuvres during the testing process.

170511-N-SA173-199.jpeg

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
phew - happy to hear good impressions. honestly the shit trailer and the saturation advertising that has me actively muting my ipad anytime it come up so I don't have to hear 'rain hell from on high' for the millionth time had put me off completely even though TH and the premise had me interested.

Its like Michael Bay did the audio mixing for the trailer its obnoxious
The funny thing is that line is taken completely out of context for the trailer, it's said in relation to
what will happen to two sailors who got in a fistfight if they do it again.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Dodgy effects aside this was a damn good movie.

Also, this movie just screamed Spielberg and Hanks team up.

Would love to see Spielberg direct another war movie, he's so good at it.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dodgy effects aside this was a damn good movie.

Also, this movie just screamed Spielberg and Hanks team up.

Would love to see Spielberg direct another war movie, he's so good at it.
I really wish they would do a band of brothers/pacific style series for the Pacific Theater Naval action. I mean ships like Enterprise were basically there for the whole war and at times were almost the only ships the US even had at sea when things were at their darkest hours.

I imagine the cost is the biggest issue as Navy action is not something you can replicate with guys running around in the grass etc.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Can anyone recommend me some GOOD ww2 movies/series? Off the top of my head these are the ones I remember seeing:
Das Boot
Der Untergang
A woman in berlin
saving private ryan
Dunkirk
Flags of our fathers
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
there are prob a few more I'm not thinking of here and will be total d'oh...

i've seen a lot of nonfiction, the most notable being the 26 hour "The World at War". Curious if there is anything that beats it, I've watched it multiple times through.
You mostly listed fairly recent stuff.

Judgement at Nuremberg
Black Book
The Guns of Navarone
Hell in the Pacific (low key underrated classic, I'd watch it for Toshiro Mifinue and Lee Marvin onscreen, you don't really get legends like that together anymore.
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Army of Shadows

If I could only watch one type of movie the rest of my life, it would be WWII movies starring and/or produced by Tom Hanks.
I am a ww2 buff and enjoy watching well made war films. But i don't know, it gets a bit samey with him.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
You mostly listed fairly recent stuff.

Judgement at Nuremberg
Black Book
The Guns of Navarone
Hell in the Pacific (low key underrated classic, I'd watch it for Toshiro Mifinue and Lee Marvin onscreen, you don't really get legends like that together anymore.
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Army of Shadows

I am a ww2 buff and enjoy watching well made war films. But i don't know, it gets a bit samey with him.
Unexpected bump, but thanks for the recommendations! Always looking for more movies to watch while stuck at home

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I watched this streamed via Thr Apple TV website on my projector and the quality wasn't that great. I'm actually finding Apple TV streaming to just be poor quality in general. Anyone find that?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this.
I'd add Enemy at the Gates and Fury to the list of good WW2 movies.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It was so-so. Not much of a climax in the 3rd act. Only 80 minutes.

There wasn't much tension. Uboats immediately detected. Respond according to protocol. Results in defeat or escape. Repeat as necessary.

That opening scene in the hotel foyer set a really bad tone for the movie. The rote recitation of lines. The total lack of reaction to the gifts they were exchanging. I couldn't tell if she was meant to be his lover, sister, or even at one point a colleague in the service until he said the "marry me" line.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I watched this streamed via Thr Apple TV website on my projector and the quality wasn't that great. I'm actually finding Apple TV streaming to just be poor quality in general. Anyone find that?
Not at all. On a ATV 4k it offers the best quality of any streaming service by far. Bitrates have been measured to be >30Mbps for a stream.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Not at all. On a ATV 4k it offers the best quality of any streaming service by far. Bitrates have been measured to be >30Mbps for a stream.
I thought HBO Max turned out to be higher. Regardless, ATV and Max look the best of any service I've used. I just wish ATV had more content, but what they do have has been generally really good.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I thought HBO Max turned out to be higher. Regardless, ATV and Max look the best of any service I've used. I just wish ATV had more content, but what they do have has been generally really good.
Maybe for 1080p content, but for 4k (which HBO doesn't offer) Apple TV+ is the highest (besides the occasional YouTube stream).

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Saw it last night, loved it. It felt inspired by Mad Max: Fury Road in terms of pacing and basically being one long and tense action sequence.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disappointing and way too cheesy. What was it with that annoying as fuck sound everytime a U-Boot was shown?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
That was a great movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tom Hanks love for the details and the time period is really noticeable. I would watch more movies like this in a heartbeat. Military procedurals are fascinating.

Scullibundo, I didnt touch my phone or iPad once. To be honest, there is no lull in which to do so. It's tense and nerve wracking from start to finish.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot. I thought all the stuff they tried to do with Tom Hanks character was DOA, but other than that good war movie