• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Directed by a guy who has only directed one other movie.

Doesn't look all that great to me, but it will probably be a big hit with your dad.

Dec 31, 2017
Why does the uboat noise sound like a monster.

Normally T Hanks related WW2 productions are pretty good but this looks more like a horror movie.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting to me, but I'm probably old enough to be Dad age.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Not many movies are made about Atlantic sea battles to be honest, so I'll check it out.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Did that Destroyer just do the naval equivalent of this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Goetzman + Hanks is usually a really good combo but something about this feels really off

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
It was supposed to come out March last year but Sony bumped it over a year to May 2020 before settling on the June release date.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched a WWII naval movie since U-571 back in the day, which I really enjoyed at the time.

Will give this one a go for sure.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I only listened to the trailer while I was reading something else and I thought it was a Godzilla movie.

OP
OP
Lionel Mandrake

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
And that one other movie had really great reviews. Weird comment.

It seems a bit odd to me that this guy who directed a well-reviewed, but largely forgotten low budget drama is being given this big, special effects driven historical blockbuster starring Tom Hanks. I'm just kind of wondering how in charge he actually was.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It seems a bit odd to me that this guy who directed a well-reviewed, but largely forgotten low budget drama is being given this big, special effects driven historical blockbuster starring Tom Hanks. I'm just kind of wondering how in charge he actually was.

Yeah, and that other movie came out over a decade ago too. But who knows. Maybe this is Hanks' baby but for whatever reason he just needed someone else "steering" as it were.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Still want a tincan movie about the Leyte Gulf battles.

Thats some actual movie stuff. Battleships vs Destroyers.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Would be neat to see him combine his two favorite genres and make a fictional ww2 movie where he has to retrieve and deliver an astronaut to beat the japanese from launching first into space to set up an apollo something etc etc.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
U-boat goin up 5 meters from a cruiser/destroyer.

Yep they just said fuck any realism.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Tom Hanks so obsessed with World War 2? Also this doesn't look like an accurate depiction of naval warfare at all.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Been excited for this one for a couple years; his film crew did some preproduction photography, filming of the ocean and environmental backdrops in the atlantic onboard the ship I sailed in (HMCS Montreal, a Canadian frigate) back in January 2018.

Excited to see if I recognize anything, or if it's all just going to be CGI stuff, and they just use the video and images they took over that week or so as reference material to make sure the CGI actually looks realistic.

I gotta hand it to his film crew though; they were literally out on the bridge wing for upwards of 10-12 hours a day for like 8 or 9 days straight in January weather in the ocean off of Nova Scotia. It was miserable, it was cold, snowing, the deck was icing up and there was a decent amount of waves and churn for them to deal with. Super unpleasant, and that team just toughed it out to try and capture as much footage of environmental backdrop stuff as they possibly could.

We also had one afternoon where a couple of our other ships were out that did some high speed turns/manoeuvres, and the surfacing/diving of one of our submarines, so hopefully they captured that stuff and were able to make use of it for realistic ship movement through the water in the actual production

Really pumped to see this one!