• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Directed by Clint Eastwood and based on true events, "Richard Jewell" is a story of what happens when what is reported as fact obscures the truth.

"There is a bomb in Centennial Park. You have thirty minutes." The world is first introduced to Richard Jewell as the security guard who reports finding the device at the 1996 Atlanta bombing—his report making him a hero whose swift actions save countless lives. But within days, the law enforcement wannabe becomes the FBI's number one suspect, vilified by press and public alike, his life ripped apart. Reaching out to independent, anti-establishment attorney Watson Bryant, Jewell staunchly professes his innocence. But Bryant finds he is out of his depth as he fights the combined powers of the FBI, GBI and APD to clear his client's name, while keeping Richard from trusting the very people trying to destroy him.

The film stars Oscar winners Sam Rockwell ("Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri") as Watson Bryant and Kathy Bates ("Misery," TV's "American Horror Story") as Richard's mom, Bobi; Jon Hamm ("Baby Driver") as the lead FBI investigator; Olivia Wilde ("Life Itself") as Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Kathy Scruggs; and Paul Walter Hauser ("I, Tonya") stars as Richard Jewell.

Hopefully Sam Rockwell does not play a white supremacist here.

Feels like this is some weird "Trump is actually innocent" analogue Clint is probably angling for.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool that Client is still making movies. His smuggling movie sucked though.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
This started filming at the end of June this year, which means it finished filming mid-July minimum

I know Eastwood is infamous for only doing singular takes but jesus christ that is some efficiency still for 89 year old man

I imagine Warner Bros expedited the editing process to get it ready for awards season

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty good, I'll probably watch.

Clint doing lite-conservative propaganda pieces, I sleep.
Clint doing actual good film work, I wake.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To avoid even typing accidentally the Richard Jewell problem let me say in all caps: RICHARD JEWELL WAS INNOCENT AND FRAMED FOR DRAMA AND VIEWS BY IRRESPONSIBLE MEDIA THAT STILL HASN"T ADEQUATELY APOLOGISED AND TAINTED BY A DISGRACEFUL FBI INVESTIGATION. Even though most of his primary accusers settled with him for damages, they fucked his life completely and most of them admitted ZERO wrongdoing.

I can separate Clint the artist from the person a lot more easily than Mel Gibson - although Clint's real life politics creep into his messaging and he's not the most subtle guy on race - even if he means well. I wish he had simply made movies and avoided stage performance. I really do. He's a mean old shitbag who tried to support a terrible person and terrible politics.

But this trailer is fucking amazing. No idea if the movie will match it but seeing a compelling trailer is a luxury these days. I mean as a piece of trailer editing. Music, pacing, even the avoiding of spoilers.

One downer note though is that the trailer does a lot of the things that ruined Jewell's life - presenting him as a "person of interest" and amping up natural suspicion. I was actually in the city that year - at the park long before the events - so when the events happened it felt really weird and detailed and specific. I admit I went with the media narrative - they basically framed the guy despite lots of information that contradicted their narrative. I had only lived in the states for a short time - my first exposure to US media was OJ Simpson - murder, chase and trial. I realized it was a fucking circus then. But whaddya know, a year later and I'm glued to CNN believing their hyped up drama.

What's worse is that the FBI not only partially framed him - they tried to trick him into giving up his rights by telling him he was being featured in a safety video as a hero. I think that might be the Hamm "say these words" thing. In fact only Janet Reno ever personally or IMO adequately apologized to him - publicly and without reservation.

Jewell died of a heart attack in 2007 - he had serious diabetes - at 44. I think they indirectly killed him too. I'm not sure of his financial situation at the end, but he certainly came into a fair amount of money from settlements. Sometimes people are sensible with that, sometimes it feeds their worst excesses - and when you're America's "most famous bomber" and doubt clouds everything you do forever, then I doubt he was relaxed or fundamentally happy.

He tried to make light of it. Even did a cameo on SNL where they tried to "frame him" for Lady Di.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Had forgotten about Richard Jewell, but man, what he went through on a national level, was crazy. Don't think he was fully exonerated until Eric Rudolph confessed to the bombing in 2005. Had also forgotten that Jewell died just 2 years later, in 2007, at the age of 44. Shit Sandwiches all around.

See Stinkles for a more complete story (I never made it to Atlanta for the Olympics that year, even living in Columbus at the time. One of my regrets, knowing how rare it was to get an Olympics in a nearby region)

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought The Mule was his last movie. He even said "this is the last time, so help me God" in the trailer. I guess since it disappointed during awards season he had to try again.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
God damn this looks amazing. Rockwell of all people in an Eastwood movie ? I loved J Edgard and American Sniper, day one

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
You can tell Eastwood makes movies for old Republicans but I find them weirdly endearing in a strange sort of way. The Mule had a couple of bizarre and really funny scenes for example. All the stuff with the super friendly gangsters was extremely funny to me.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always thought this would make a good movie. That said, I can't help but think Eastwood is making this because it was the only decent story he could find about a persecuted white male.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hell of a cast. I haven't watched any Eastwood movies since that one where he played an old racist, but if this reviews well I might check it out.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I was at Centennial Park the night of the bombing. Me and my family left the park an hour before the bomb went off.

I remember waking up the next morning and turning on the TV, and my jaw dropped when I saw the story about the bombing on SportsCenter

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
it's a wild fucking story and that trailer looks incredible. i'll be interested to see this when it comes out.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
The movie does seem like it would attract a lot of right wingers, but I think the trailer is pretty interesting and I like the cast so I might see it

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Did Eastwood most likely choose this because of the media bias angle alongside FBI investigating an innocent man? Yes.

But this is also a case were the media completely fucked up a man's life for ratings, while the FBI were found guilty of trying to pin it on him. For someone who was completely innocent and saved lives, while never admitting they were wrong.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
This was the story that finally made the media change how they handle persons-of-interest. Just kidding, they're still awful. Normally not a fan of these kinds of movies, but Clint made it, so I'm in.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Am I alone in (except maybe zodiac) not liking movies based on true stories at all?
I like them when theyre one hundred percent accurate which is basically never.
Why choose to tell a true story if they're gonna have composite characters, and fudge with chronology?

like, Social Network is one of myfavorite films, but how much of it was actually accurate?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of Clint Eastwood, but this is a pretty interesting story irl and the trailer was very solid.