• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Directed by Oscar Award Danish director Winner Susanne Bier

looks kinda A Quiet Place-ish. Stacked cast at least.

Last edited:

GK86

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only checked out a part of the trailer and it looked good. Will watch.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The book is big on cosmic horror tropes juxtaposed against interpersonal human drama. What was shown here leans a little more mainstream but is still intriguing.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Premise sort of reminded me of Day of the Triffids, except with a Steven Moffat gimmick.

Come on, gimmie a modern Day of the Triffids film.
I know there was a BBC adaptation, and that was rad.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The book is one of my faves, very cinematic horror, but....I wasn't impressed by this trailer. Just didn't have the dark gritty vibe I imagined when I read the book. In my head it was like a gloomy movie directed by early David Fincher or something.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The book was great, so I hope this will do it justice. Sandra Bullock is a very good actress, and I like John Malkovich so here's hoping.

I'm not sold on this by the trailer, though. Like the poster above me said, it doesn't exactly make me feel like the book did. They've obviously changed some things and I'm not sure about what I've seen. The last parts of the trailer had me optimistic, though.

Here's hoping it will be good.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I didn't realize that they were making anything based on this, but it's deserving for sure. The book was recommended to me by an era user, and was well worth reading last spring.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Don't know source but that cast is pretty great. Netflix really drawing big actors lately.

I almost named my dog Malkovich.

I don't think Paulson has ever chosen a bad role.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Read the book earlier this year and enjoyed it greatly. I wouldn't have imagined casting Sandra Bullock as Mallorie, but she's a great lead to where I'm interested in seeing her portrayal.

Let's get The Fisherman next for Lovecraft-inspired/Cosmic horror adaptations.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
People lauding the book will never cease to baffle me. It had a good premise, but zero payoff. Not all mysteries need to be explained, but the mystery was all it had going for it. I couldn't recommend it to anybody.

If this fixes the book's problems, though, it could be pretty sweet.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the movie where you can't make a smell or the monster with a giant nose gets you.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People lauding the book will never cease to baffle me. It had a good premise, but zero payoff. Not all mysteries need to be explained, but the mystery was all it had going for it. I couldn't recommend it to anybody.

If this fixes the book's problems, though, it could be pretty sweet.

I haven't read the book but I'm guessing that
whatever is causing all of this is never revealed?

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I haven't read the book but I'm guessing that
whatever is causing all of this is never revealed?
They narrow it down in a "animal, vegetable, or mineral?" kind of way, but the how/where/why is left forever hanging.

What you see in the trailer is about all you get in the book, though in the book they are fairly explicitly not "your worst fear" as one victim describes then as beautiful. 'Course they'd been driven mad at the time, so who knows.

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually not horrible I read the book and the movie is pretty faithful they sped up the start of the apocalypse but most of it's pretty faithful what they did for a monster you can't show was pretty cool.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Watched it last night, I really liked it! There are plenty of differences from the book but I still enjoyed it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Good movie, definitely one of Netflix's better attempts at movie making. I know it's based on a book, but it felt sort of like a mix between zombies and a quiet place.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it last night and thought it was pretty decent. Not the greatest movie but worth the two hour investment.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thread locked, please continue the discussion in the OT linked above

Status
Not open for further replies.