• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brandwin

Jan 1, 2018
Picking up my PS5 tomorrow and was going to trade in my PS4 Pro. I've read conflicting reports. Some say don't wipe the system and some say they do. Does GameStop run games or just needs to boot to the home screen? Just want to make the experience as easy as possible but also not comfortable with them wiping the console.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust them to wipe the system. Wipe first, deal with the longer wait time. Better to be safe.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
They no longer want you to factory reset. That's been my experience the last couple of times.

Oct 27, 2017
Picking up my PS5 tomorrow and was going to trade in my PS4 Pro. I've read conflicting reports. Some say don't wipe the system and some say they do. Does GameStop run games or just needs to boot to the home screen? Just want to make the experience as easy as possible but also not comfortable with them wiping the console.

They run a game. Don't wipe before going there UNLESS you're cool with waiting for them to do the system setup.

My advice, delete everything except a couple of games. let them test and then ask them to reformat the system while they ring up your PS5.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Don't forget the charge cable for the controller. That's one thing that super annoying that they ask for.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
why not just reinstall the OS and go through the set up with a default profile?

Jul 1, 2020
When I traded in my base PS4 I wiped it then they just did the setup, ran a game, made sure it worked, wiped it again and blew the dust out before accepting it.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Traded in my PS4 Pro yesterday. I wiped my system and don't remember them testing a game. They tested my controller way longer than the system.

Always wipe that shit, don't trust other people with your accounts.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Don't wipe the system but if you do, install or download a couple of games so they can test them.

Also, don't forget to remove the console from your profile on Sony's website.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When I traded in my Xbox, I wiped it, but they had to have me sign in to my MS account there to check the hard drive or something.

I wiped my payment methods on my MS account before I did it, just to make sure. I haven't gotten any emails about it so looks like it's ok.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Strange, when I've traded in consoles to EB in Canada the most they have ever done was power it up (not even plugged into a TV). They take your driver's license information so if anything comes back from the trade-in I guess they can contact you directly.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Wipe the system, create a new PSN profile, download something free from the store (such as a demo or a game like Rocket League), and if you are trading any games in, install one of them to the system. That way they still get to do their test but you don't expose any personal info. Did this with a Switch a year ago and it went fine

Also, if you have a pre-order, you can do this today and apply the balance to your pre-order instead of holding up the line tomorrow

OP
OP
Brandwin

Brandwin

Jan 1, 2018
Wipe the system, create a new PSN profile, download something free from the store (such as a demo or a game like Rocket League), and if you are trading any games in, install one of them to the system. That way they still get to do their test but you don't expose any personal info. Did this with a Switch a year ago and it went fine

Also, if you have a pre-order, you can do this today and apply the balance to your pre-order instead of holding up the line tomorrow
I'll just go that route. Want to try trade it today instead of the busy time tomorrow.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

If it is paid off, you can't (just FYI). I know OP's situation is different, but you have to wait for the day-of just for anybody (like myself) who have paid it off already, but want to get some of that money back via a trade-in.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If it is paid off, you can't (just FYI). I know OP's situation is different, but you have to wait for the day-of just for anybody (like myself) who have paid it off already, but want to get some of that money back via a trade-in.
If the system is fully paid off, you can get around that by asking to move $5 from that balance to pre-order a game (whatever launch game you were planning on buying), and then you can do the trade in and apply any amount of it to the PS5 pre-order and it should give you the bump in their system, so $5 would go on the system and the rest would go on a gift card

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I traded both of mines in last month after wiping them and didn't have any trouble. They booted up both but didn't test any games, probably because they needed an account to test them.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say do it today to make life easier for the GS reps. Otherwise you will back up the line a lot, and they probably will be swamped with people wanting a ps5 or Xbox. I paid off my ps5 yesterday and their phone was ringing off the hook with ppl constantly asking if they had Series X in store.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I'd say wipe the drive and set up a dummy profile so they can test the games quicker.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I traded in my system; I wiped it beforehand and did the basic setup before taking it in. It went very smoothly.

fyi, need a USB charging cable with the system, controller, power cord, and HDMI

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So, right now due to covid, employees are not suppose to be testing the systems. They just make sure everything is there, nothing looks damaged, take it in, bag it up and let it set for 3 days. After the 3 days they take it out clean it THEN test it and wipe it.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Depends on the laws in your state, is what I gathered the last time I traded a console in.

I brought my wiped One S in to GameStop when I got a One X, and they told me to take it home and re-log in and then bring it back. I'm in Washington. They said it was to help prevent stolen consoles and it is state law.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I've read conflicting reports.
Don't wipe the system because they need to test a game, it will only take longer if you do
Always wipe the system
iwl36evxxk1k.gif

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I recently traded in my Pro. Absolutely wipe the system just to be safe.

I also recommend going through the setup process before you pack everything up. You don't need to sign in to PSN or even connect to your network. After that, throw in any old physical game and let it fully install. You'll save a good 15+ minutes if they don't have to do these in the store.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a dumb question but I like being careful

Once my PS4 is wiped, I'll get all those games i have downloaded back once I sign into my account on PS5, yeah?

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Wipe your account off, and set it back up with a dummy account. Just make sure you include all cables, including the controller charging cable.

Here's a dumb question but I like being careful

Once my PS4 is wiped, I'll get all those games i have downloaded back once I sign into my account on PS5, yeah?

Yes, they're linked to your PSN account and not the console. Unless you've got PT installed, then it's bye bye

Deeb

Feb 9, 2019
If you have to sell it to GameStop, wipe it and set up the default account so they can test it. Question: Why not just list it on Facebook Marketplace for more money than GameStop will give you? You should be able to get an easy $200 vs the $140 cash from GS.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I traded in both X1X and PS4 Pro. I wiped both systems before going in. They didn't let me wait at all. All they did was turning it on to see if it boots.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, right now due to covid, employees are not suppose to be testing the systems. They just make sure everything is there, nothing looks damaged, take it in, bag it up and let it set for 3 days. After the 3 days they take it out clean it THEN test it and wipe it.
That's actually good to know, thanks.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wiped my ps4 before I went. Did the full initialization that took hours. After that I did the initial set up and made a guest account. Guy had no trouble testing.

Make sure to bring the DS4 charger and hdmi cord.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can wipe it ahead of time if you want. Just make sure to get it back through the initial setup before bringing it in. I also recommend giving the controller and system some TLC as well cus if busy many will become extra critical of dirt and grime on the system and pad.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
If the system is fully paid off, you can get around that by asking to move $5 from that balance to pre-order a game (whatever launch game you were planning on buying), and then you can do the trade in and apply any amount of it to the PS5 pre-order and it should give you the bump in their system, so $5 would go on the system and the rest would go on a gift card

The only problem is that you won't get the promotion, as it all has to be done on the same transaction and placed on the PS5 pre-order from what I remember working there.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Strange, when I've traded in consoles to EB in Canada the most they have ever done was power it up (not even plugged into a TV). They take your driver's license information so if anything comes back from the trade-in I guess they can contact you directly.

I think they take your ID so the police can track the movement of stolen goods. Not so that they can contact you if the goods they purchased turn out to be broken.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
ALWAYS WIPE YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE HANDING IT TO A STRANGER. I dont care what the associates want me to do. Its my info that could be stolen, not theirs. With the ps4 you can actually set it up with a guest account very quickly after you reinitialize it. The Xbox makes you sign into an account first, which sucks so they will have to go through the entire process themselves.

Someone said that they wipe the system in front of you. When I traded in my ps4 they didn't even plug it in. They just took it out of the bag, tested the buttons with there hands and that was it. I was very surprised that they didn't turn it on at all lol. My one X they did turn on and attempt to initialize but they gave up and just gave me the credit instead of making me wait.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ALWAYS WIPE YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE HANDING IT TO A STRANGER. I dont care what the associates want me to do. Its my info that could be stolen, not theirs. With the ps4 you can actually set it up with a guest account very quickly after you reinitialize it. The Xbox makes you sign into an account first, which sucks so they will have to go through the entire process themselves.

Someone said that they wipe the system in front of you. When I traded in my ps4 they didn't even plug it in. They just took it out of the bag, tested the buttons with there hands and that was it. I was very surprised that they didn't turn it on at all lol. My one X they did turn on and attempt to initialize but they gave up and just gave me the credit instead of making me wait.
Always wipe the system
They do it in the store right in front of you, so unnecessary. If you've already unlinked and deleted yours profile off the system there's no risk of losing any information to begin with anyway.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They do it in the store right in front of you, so unnecessary. If you've already unlinked and deleted yours profile off the system there's no risk of losing any information to begin with anyway.
It actually depends on if it's a trade hold store or not. If they have a hold, they don't wipe it/can't sell it until a month later in case it was a stolen system. Give the store a call and see what they would prefer/if they have a trade hold. PS4's are really easy to set up even if you do wipe them though.