• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What's the best way to go about this? In the past, I waited until AFTER I had my new console set up at home before trading in my old console, and I'd just accept cash at a lower value, since I generally only purchase games digitally. This time around, I'd like to try pre-ordering from GameStop or some other company with physical store locations and arranging for an IN-STORE PICK-UP, at which point I could hopefully also trade in my old console for a higher value that could be put toward my new console purchase. I'm only using GameStop as an example, of course. From your experience, what's the best way to go about doing a trade-in this way? I usually just pre-order consoles online, but am I correct in assuming that I'd need to pre-order by calling/visiting a store if I want to pick up a pre-order in person? Which companies are more reliable for this?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm going eBay, I have a Spider-Man PS4 Pro and I'm definitely not gonna fetch as much for that at Gamestop as I would there

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
This is how I go about trading in my consoles.

1. I try to get the most $$ from it, typically selling it to someone who doesn't have one or eBay. However, in the instance of the Xbox One X, MS pretty much killed the market with the Xbox Series S/X. Still, I'll see what I can get.
2. Gamestop, Amazon, or Best BuyTrade-ins. Currently, all are giving the same amount of credit. Gamestop may be doing better deals as the Aussie branch has already started theirs

Afaik, you'll need to pre-order online now. Best Buy used to let you pre-order in-store, but all the ones in my area removed the kisoks sometime ago.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I dont know if we will be able to preorder for in store pick up with gamestop, so the easiest way would be to be at a gamestop store (or whatever) when they open on preorder day and put whatever the minimum down is. Then when you are ready to get rid of your current console prior to launch day just bring it in. I really do not recommend bringing it in when you initially preorder, console trade ins take a while so the employees will be pissed and the people behind you will be annoyed that you're holding up the line.

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
The moment the Series S was announced I knew I didn't have much time to sell my One X.

Put it up on Wednesday for $350 and sold it on Thursday.

Going through your local buy and sell is your best bet.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Afaik, you'll need to pre-order online now. Best Buy used to let you pre-order in-store, but all the ones in my area removed the kisoks sometime ago.
Ah, bummer. And I assume that there's no way to pre-order and have it shipped to a store for pick-up in most cases?

I really do not recommend bringing it in when you initially preorder, console trade ins take a while so the employees will be pissed and the people behind you will be annoyed that you're holding up the line.
I was kind of curious about that part. I mean, surely with COVID-19 restrictions and all that it shouldn't be an issue if I go to the store I pre-ordered at sometime in the afternoon to pick up my pre-order, right? I'd like to get an Xbox Series X on day one if possible. If it turns out to be better to pre-order online and do the trade-in at a later date, then I can do that (and maybe just stock up on Game Pass Ultimate cards or purchase codes for games), I suppose.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Here in Canada, for the vanilla PS4 and then for the Pro, I took advantage of the Gamestop promotions. PS3 -> PS4; PS4 -> Pro. Worked great; I got an awesome deal both times. I also traded in my WiiU for a Switch with them, and IIRC, there was no special deal - I just unloaded a bunch of stuff. I think I have about $100 on a Gamestop gift card, which will be useful for the PS5. Consoles are the only thing I buy from Gamestop.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I was kind of curious about that part. I mean, surely with COVID-19 restrictions and all that it shouldn't be an issue if I go to the store I pre-ordered at sometime in the afternoon to pick up my pre-order, right? I'd like to get an Xbox Series X on day one if possible. If it turns out to be better to pre-order online and do the trade-in at a later date, then I can do that (and maybe just stock up on Game Pass Ultimate cards or purchase codes for games), I suppose.
they'll probably keep it 24-48 hours, depending on how much demand there is. they SHOULD understand if you have trouble getting in with yknow, everything going on.

easiest thing to do - trade in on the day you pickup the new console. you won't get as much but it'll be easier. can ditch all your games as well. sometimes stores do a deal because they want to encourage trade ins so the value might be more than it currently is.

most profitable thing to do - sell in person/via ebay for cash. obviously has all sorts of problems and the value might have nosedived since the announcement.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
In the past, I've traded in games and consoles at Gamestop prior to launch day. I don't think they do trade-ins at the same time you pick up your console for a midnight launch since they need to keep the line moving. You should be able to show up a couple of hours before midnight to pay off your console and do trade-ins shortly before the midnight launch. But I'm not sure what the procedures will be this year because of covid.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
easiest thing to do - trade in on the day you pickup the new console. you won't get as much but it'll be easier. can ditch all your games as well. sometimes stores do a deal because they want to encourage trade ins so the value might be more than it currently is.
I was under the impression that better trade-in deals occurred when new consoles were released. Is that not the case?

most profitable thing to do - sell in person/via ebay for cash. obviously has all sorts of problems and the value might have nosedived since the announcement.
Honestly, my biggest problem with selling in person is how flaky people can be and how much people tend to draw out the process. eBay probably isn't an option, as I really don't like the idea of shipping something so expensive, not to mention the chances of something going wrong with the transaction.

I think what I might do is call my local GameStop and Best Buy later today to see how they're handling pre-orders and launches.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I was under the impression that better trade-in deals occurred when new consoles were released. Is that not the case?

Honestly, my biggest problem with selling in person is how flaky people can be and how much people tend to draw out the process. eBay probably isn't an option, as I really don't like the idea of shipping something so expensive, not to mention the chances of something going wrong with the transaction.

I think what I might do is call my local GameStop and Best Buy later today to see how they're handling pre-orders and launches.

It depends. Some times there are offers before the consoles are released, others after. As for pre-orders at Gamestop and Best Buy, at least in the US, they don't know. I have a friend who works at BB and nothing has been mentioned. As for Game Stop, they're still waiting on Sony.

Now, BB in Canada, they have their stuff together already. As does EB Games in UK/AUS.

stevivor.com

EB Games’ Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X trade-in deals detailed

Update: EB Games has confirmed that Xbox Series pre-orders will go live form 8.00 am AEST on 22 September. Microsoft has confirmed that's the earliest that
blog.bestbuy.ca

What's new with Xbox Series X: Blockbusters on Game Pass | Best Buy Blog

Your one and only place for all the latest news and information on Microsoft's next-generation gaming consoles, Xbox Series X & Xbox Series S.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The moment the Series S was announced I knew I didn't have much time to sell my One X.

Put it up on Wednesday for $350 and sold it on Thursday.

Going through your local buy and sell is your best bet.
You made out like a bandit with the One X. I doubt many of us are doing to be as lucky.
Yeah seriously, how'd you do that? I bought an Xbox One X earlier this week on eBay for $250. (I'm upgrading my Xbox One S and will get an Xbox Series X in a few years.) I'm surprised people are actually buying them for $100 more.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
if i remember rightly they usually want a fresh batch of current gen (xbox one, xbox one x, ps4, ps4 pro) to sell for a big profit to those that just aren't interested in getting the latest thing so they'll usually bump up the trade-in credit if you're going to get a new console.

oh yeah absolutely, ebay is a pain for anything high value and in person can be stressful even if you ignore everything going on right now.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It depends. Some times there are offers before the consoles are released, others after. As for pre-orders at Gamestop and Best Buy, at least in the US, they don't know. I have a friend who works at BB and nothing has been mentioned. As for Game Stop, they're still waiting on Sony.
That makes sense. I know that GameStop was really eager to take a pre-order on anything in the past, but I know it can be a bit dodgy with respect to whether your pre-order will actually get you a console on day one, due to the limited number of consoles shipping at any given time. Given the situation, surely GameStop will need to announce something when it's known how pre-orders will be handled, so I think I'll just wait for an announcement in that regard.

keep in mind the ps4/ps4 pro probably has more value to gamestop etc. than the xbox one/one s/one x because of how low the series s' price is.
That's probably true, but I'm only trading in an Xbox One X toward the purchase of an Xbox Series X. I didn't buy any PlayStation 4 consoles yet. (Oddly, I ended up buying a PlayStation 3 because of the backwards compatibility.)

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
Yeah seriously, how'd you do that? I bought an Xbox One X earlier this week on eBay for $250. (I'm upgrading my Xbox One S and will get an Xbox Series X in a few years.) I'm surprised people are actually buying them for $100 more.

To be fair it was $350 CAD. But I definitely was surprised nobody tried to bargain with me.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Trade in for the pro seems to be $175 everywhere in the US. Covid-19 doesn't make me wanna try and sell it in person so I'll probably just do that. I wonder if I should just try and lock something in. What were trade-ins like the last time around? I think I got like $100 for my ps3 and 360 or something.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Trade in for the pro seems to be $175 everywhere in the US. Covid-19 doesn't make me wanna try and sell it in person so I'll probably just do that. I wonder if I should just try and lock something in. What were trade-ins like the last time around? I think I got like $100 for my ps3 and 360 or something.
Amazon has it for $200+ currently

edit: I just need to find a box big enough to ship it with though lol

Deleted member 72415

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
I remember going with my friend to take advantage of some weird trade in promo. So they processed the trade in and tested it. It took maybe 45 minutes to complete the process. So the manager has to override the register, but it turns out you had to pre-order the new system on the same receipt. The problem was pre-orders were sold out by that point so my friend couldn't get the boosted value.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I always got more bang for my buck (buck for my bang in this case) by selling the old console straight to someone... it might work with PS4, but with the Series S costing 299 I wonder how much one will be able to sell a X1S/X for.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Selling it to someone generally gives you way more money. I don't feel like doing that, so when I got a Pro I ordered it from Game where they had a Renove plan if you bought your PS4 and some games when you went to take your Pro. Did that to get a discount for the Pro (I don't remember how much it was now but I was ok). I hope they do it with the PS5 but with the limited units who knows...

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop is offering $175 credit for PS4 Pro, which sounds fine to me considering I paid $400 for it four years ago. I'm just concerned about being locked in with store credit there since the likelihood that I can get a pre-order from them is probably lower than at another place like Best Buy or Amazon. I'm also irrationally paranoid that the entire company could go under at any minute and take my money with them. It's a shame they're not giving cash for trades right now (I'm sure they prefer this anyway).

I wonder how much the trade in value will drop once the PS5 price is announced. I wouldn't mind trading in before that happens since I haven't been playing any games lately anyway.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone considered using Swappa to sell their current gen consoles? Seems to have a pretty decent going rate for One X right now. I've had good experiences in the past using them to sell phones.

I kind of want to strike while the iron is hot for offloading my One X but I also don't want to be without a console until November, assuming I'm even able to get a preorder.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Last two times I checked for trade in at EB Games (PS4 pro and a 3DS), I managed to sell it for 50% more each time on Kijiji. Hardest part is ignoring the lowballers.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Gamestop usually does a trade in your old console for X amount of your new one type deal. I believe they offered $150 if you traded your wii U towards a switch so... im pretty confident in saying they will offer $200 for the pro versions of the consoles, if not more. I imagine the idea to gamestop is that the are sort of losing a bit of cash on the actual console sale but moat people will be buying atleast a couple games plus and accessory or two so they will more then make up the cost.

Viol8tor

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 500 Million Edition PS4 Pro. Im guessing i could get more from it from an ebay/swappa/Offer up Sale than a trade in?

Oct 27, 2017
COVID prices for consoles is still pretty inflated imo. I sold my spare 500gb XB1S for $250. This was a private sale so YMMV but this was around a month ago. I'm using that money to preorder a XSX.

GameStop usually has occasional trade in deals for new consoles. Just have to pay attention to their weekly ads. I remember buying my PS4 when they were doing a trade in deal for the 360/PS3. Think they were giving an extra $50 or maybe more on top of their regular trade in value. Wasn't at launch obv since stock is usually pretty slim around that time.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh...my PS4 Pro disk drive is crapping out on me. Does Gamestop still take consoles with broken disk drives? Might be my only option...seems to be not worth it trying to buy a new drive as it seems to cost $50-100. :\

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
So my PS4 is a launch unit and it's unbearably loud. It looks like Gamestop will give me $100 for it, but does anyone know what they will do with it? I'd really hate for them to turn around and sell it to some poor soul without fixing/cleaning the fan.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't you need the old console to like link data and saves etc to the new one? I feel like I did some sort of thing like then when going from base ps4 to pro