• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why should they? It's a good game

I thought all the anger at Dexit, the graphics, the animations, the removal of the GTS etc. would compel more people to skip these games. Turns out that the only effect the last few months have had is that only a negligible number of people didn't buy them. And that lots of devs and content creators got harassed, I guess.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Really though, yall should just sometimes jump into some low viewcount twitch streams of any game.
Pretty much everytime its a lovely group of people that are so nice and welcoming to new viewers.

Its incredibly how much a few kind words can mean to a stranger on the internet.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at the very least, I'm happy that Nintendo is getting a lot of money off of this game. Healthy Nintendo is best Nintendo, and they've been pumping out amazing editions of their main franchises left and right. I'll take the loss of Pokemon never getting that quality "refresh" other Nintendo franchises are getting. I'm not even really into Pokemon anyway.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It has been two Holidays that Game Freak carried the Switch to success (with Smash in 2018).

They deserve a break in 2020, they did a fantastic job and put the Switch in a great position.

JohnDoe

Oct 26, 2017
Basically, if you're playing online in the Wild Area, it'll sometimes stutter. This is due to latency due to it bringing people in, in real time, into the Wild Area. However people are strangely misconstrueing it as frame rate issues
Thanks for clarifying. I have yet to use the online features.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I thought all the anger at Dexit, the graphics, the animations, the removal of the GTS etc. would compel more people to skip these games. Turns out that the only effect the last few months have had is that only a negligible number of people didn't buy them. And that lots of devs and content creators got harassed, I guess.

The number of people who even heard about this things is rather limited in comparison. I would assume that a large fraction of these six million people who bought the game in the first days didn't even realize these things were missing/lacking.

Personally I got such a negative view of the game from browsing ResetEra, even to the point that I considered not buying it. I ended up loving it (25 hours in atm). I think it has some flaws for sure, but the metacritic around 80 feels about right to me - and in the end that's a good installment in a very big franchise.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I think every Switch entry is outpacing its 3DS counterpart at this point with perhaps the exception of New Super Mario Bros so overtaking the 3DS entries seems very possible

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is such a juggernaut. If anybody wonders why they do not innovate: it's because they don't need to, people still want these games. Do hope they invest heavily in their technology though, they are definitely on the weak end in that spectrum.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
tenor.gif

Yay to go, Nintendo.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pokémon is such a juggernaut. If anybody wonders why they do not innovate: it's because they don't need to, people still want these games. Do hope they invest heavily in their technology though, they are definitely on the weak end in that spectrum.
Pokémon games are evolutions, they need not be revolutions. Nothing wrong with an evolution.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Well, thats a good way for gamefreak and TPC to never evolve for good. I cant say im surprised though.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Because Sun and Moon released on a Wednesday in EU I believe the first week numbers for it will be 5 days and not 3. So that added to the extra week of NA makes it highly likely that Sword and Shield will sell faster (and at a 30-50% higher price too).

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Basically, if you're playing online in the Wild Area, it'll sometimes stutter. This is due to latency due to it bringing people in, in real time, into the Wild Area. However people are strangely misconstrueing it as frame rate issues

Thank for your helpful site guiding me about pokemons in each area, but the game drops framerate in battles and areas with more than 3 NPCs or a lot of pokemons on screen, not to mention how poor the draw distance, textures, and shadows are

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think my biggest issue with the game (Not quite done yet, 8th gym down and there's still the final stretch to do) is that it feels unfinished really. Stuff like the online features like the Y-Comm being underbaked, the story and pacing basically going into Fast-Forward.

I'm not surprised by the sales being as high as they are (Switch + Switch Lite + New Generation in general) but I do wonder if the criticisms the game had will be taken into account. I think of Assassin's Creed Unity, which still sold very well (Something like 10 million copies I believe), but did get criticised by critics and had some huge glaring bugs that is was enough that they took a gap year after Syndicate and re-thought how to approach the game plays and we got the much better Assassin's Creed Origins because of it.

Sorta hope Pokemon takes the next year off just so they can polish the game out and finish everything. I've been enjoying the game (New pokemon and UK theming have done that) but The drop in quality in the second half of the story is quite staggering. However would an investor look at strong sales and the good reviews (Lower than the norm for a new generation, but still fairly high scoring.) and tell them to skip next years annual release? I don't see that happening really. Sorta depressing that.

Pathetic take. Let's Go were never going to replace the main games, it's a pity people like you feel threatened by the title so much that you wanted it to fail instead of giving it a chance.

Forgive me if I have no care in the world for the least ambitious games Game Freak has made in the entire series. One of the better aspects of Sword and Shield is that I haven't been bludgeoned over the head with Kanto all game. It's still there somewhat but it isn't like Alola where it felt like no one could shut up about it. Hoping they don't suddenly go overboard with it for whenever the Leon fight is.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thank for your helpful site guiding me about pokemons in each area, but the game drops framerate in battles and areas with more than 3 NPCs or a lot of pokemons on screen, not to mention how poor the draw distance, textures, and shadows are
Draw distance I'm not going to argue with but on my Switch I've had no major frame drops in battles or areas and, like I said, Digital Foundry found none either

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Betting about pokemon is the same as betting against FIFA. You only boycott it for principles, because it isn't actually going to work.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a big fan, but this is the most fun I've had with Pokemon. My kids are into it as well. It has completely pulled me away from Fallen Order.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing is going to be a monster.

When there's ... what seven years? ... since the last new full AC game. Yeah.

I'm not a big fan, but this is the most fun I've had with Pokemon. My kids are into it as well. It has completely pulled me away from Fallen Order.

Do it like me, play Fallen Order when the kids occupy Pokemon. That happens ... a lot in my case. Guess that's the reason why i'm only at the 2nd gym while my kids are at the 5th and 7th. ^^

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I dont mind if they dont innovate but at least dont remove what was already there. Not talking about the full dex, but other features like gts, important moves likes hidden power or super singles/doubles in battle tower or mega evolutions (dynamax dont do much to help weaker pokemon)

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This is a very fun yet also very flawed game. It deserves the success for sure, but I hope this doesn't just mean all the problems of the game will be ignored going forward. Pokemon can be so much better than this.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Loving this game so much. I've never been a huge pokemon fan so I'm not affected by the cuts. Just a joy to play.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Sad to hear but not surprising. If anything gets a pass its Pokemon.

After all they sell us 2 versions of essentially the same game for decades. Imagine if EA would do that.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Pokémon games are evolutions, they need not be revolutions. Nothing wrong with an evolution.
They're still using single battles for the vast majority of the story for some reason.
Such a simple evolution that I'm shocked they never did.
They even cut triples.
Even the story formula hasn't changed too much. It's just kid goes on journey to become the best, beats a bunch of gym/trials, becomes champion, and also foils an evil plot involving a legendary Pokemon. I like the gameplay, always have, but damn if I don't want some really basic shit like a hard mode (I CANNOT believe they cut the ability to turn off Exp share, and then gave that horrid excuse), more double battles, and a more interesting story that really breaks their conventions. I don't even care about Dexit lmao.

I've played every game that has released since I played Ruby back in the day, and also silver and yellow, when I borrowed them from a friend. But God, after so long, it's starting to get really stale. I didn't end up buying SwSh, I suppose I am apart of the boycot. And I guess it's just kinda upsetting that with such great sales, such simple improvements will probably never happen.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably be saying this to yourself.

I should be saying what to myself, exactly? That the premier battle focused spin-off hypothetically speaking, would be adopting the size scaling from handheld games that already had completely bogus reasoning behind it?

Nah, that's the disingenuous bullshit you believe in. =P