• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem with all of this is that we're stuck with whatever crap gamefreak gives us. If the Colosseum/Stadium series was still around then I would be fine with gamefreak making underwhelming games.

But of course, gamefreak will never allow both series to co-exist.
The point of those games was having the Pokemon in 3D, so they are obsolete.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being personally affronted that people are playing and enjoying a game you didn't like.

Imagine.
The main problem with all of this is that we're stuck with whatever crap gamefreak gives us. If the Colosseum/Stadium series was still around then I would be fine with gamefreak making underwhelming games.

But of course, gamefreak will never allow both series to co-exist.

Game Freak has never made a game a fraction as bad as Colosseum/XD.

Feb 24, 2018
It reviewed below XY, Sun/Moon and let's go on opencritic
To call the games challenging for adults is a stretch
Legitimate criticism doesn't matter because it sold well
Also that the weird notion that just because you criticise something doesn't mean you hate it or still like it in others way, in fact most of the time criticism comes from people who love the work of fiction and want to see it improve.

Honestly, I don't get why people are going out of their way to be antagonising or generalising in this thread other then to start a fight or just be nasty, very few thought Pokemon wasn't going to sell because of the sheer fact Pokemon is so ingrained into Pop Culture that it would be weird if it didn't. That doesn't mean criticism and issues people had whether graphics, NatDex, lost moves etc are invalid, no less then the criticisms people had about the Bayformers moves were just because they also made a lot of money. You can still like a series without liking it without question same with me and Transformers (mostly for the comics nowadays).

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Wait, where is the challenge?

Five star raids, battle style "set," ranked online.

It reviewed below XY, Sun/Moon and let's go on opencritic
To call the games challenging for adults is a stretch
Legitimate criticism doesn't matter because it sold well

It has a "Strong" opencritic rating with 72 percent of critics recommending and a 82 on Metacritic.

Unless there is a new criteria for "good reviews" that I'm not aware of that fits the vocal minority's anger better I would say my post (which didn't say anything about past games) was correct in stating that the games got "good reviews."

Oct 25, 2017
That the textures, animations, and framerate of this game are of a budget PS2 title and I'm not exaggerating one bit.
Ooooh I get ya.

1dfJ.gif

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Five star raids, battle style "set," ranked online.

It has a "Strong" opencritic rating with 72 percent of critics recommending and a 82 on Metacritic.

Unless there is a new criteria for "good reviews" that I'm not aware of that fits the vocal minority's anger better I would say my post (which didn't say anything about past games) was correct in stating that the games got "good reviews."
The reviews are good. They're just relatively worse than the previous mainline entries.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
But they can't even do a 3D RPG right since the size scaling is completely off in and outside of battles.

In 2019, on the Switch.
That's obviously an intentional design choice. It has nothing to do with power or technical skill. A Stadium or Colosseum game in 2019 would potentially follow suit as well.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed but not unexpected. I hoped sales would at least take a small hit to get a message across and show voting with your wallet matters, but Pokémon is just too big. I still hope people are enjoying the game, either way.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess I need to pick this up. The Dex thing apparently hasn't phased people. I choose fallen order over this and have been having a blast. Once I finish the game I'll look into Pokemon then. Congrats to GameFreak, TPC, and Nintendo.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The post in question is literally just "but my animations", there is no opinion just a bad attempt at a "gotcha".
Not a single one of them mentioned that the criticism wasnt valid.
They poke fun at the idea some people here quite often stated that the criticis(that one might or might not find valid) affected sales.
You just assumed they said it wasnt valid.

And not sure why you included Serebii, his post was clearly in reference to things that actually happened, including to him.

Like if you complain about the people criticising being thrown into a bucket with the people doing the bad stuff, maybe dont just turn around and assume everyone disagreeing with your criticism is saying it isnt valid.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am having fun with it (because, as it turns out, it's really really hard to mess up the appeal of the core gameplay loop) but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by many of the design decisions Game Freak have made.

I mean, congrats to them for it selling well (though I do feel it's cruising on the brand appeal and the Switch success) but I fervently hope they take the constructive criticism to heart and build something a bit more complete (if not a bit more ambitious) next time round.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
That's obviously an intentional design choice. It has nothing to do with power or technical skill. A Stadium or Colosseum game in 2019 would potentially follow suit as well.

Their reasoning was some gibberish that had to do with the size of the 3DS display. A Stadium/Colosseum follow up would absolutely not follow suit, nor is there any reason to believe that.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
And therein lies the rub. Pokemon games will sell regardless, so why do they need to bother pushing the boundaries? Sword and Shield are fine games. But Game Freak (or at least a company with Game Freak's resources) can do so much better.

I mourn for what pokemon could be. But I will forever settle for what it is, because despite being upset about all the removed features, the core of pokemon is still pokemon, and provided they don't get in the way of that like they did in Sun/Moon, I enjoy that core.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not a single one of them mentioned that the criticism wasnt valid.
They poke fun at the idea some people here quite often stated that the criticis(that one might or might not find valid) affected sales.
You just assumed they said it wasnt valid.

And not sure why you included Serebii, his post was clearly in reference to things that actually happened, including to him.

Like if you complain about the people criticising being thrown into a bucket with the people doing the bad stuff, maybe dont just turn around and assume everyone disagreeing with your criticism is saying it isnt valid.

When did I mention Serebii or grouped people as a single entity?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I tweeted that I was enjoying the game and people who didn't even follow me were being rude. People are literally searching for this stuff.
I think people actually search Twitter for this stuff, I get so many replies from people who don't follow me when I talk about Pokemon

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The 7.2M Zhuge noted was built from first week EU and Japan and 2 weeks of NA. Sword Shield could do similar if the NA second week is very big. Initial sales should be roughly equal regardless.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are the people that cared about all the controversy too few in number to make a dent or are they just too weak to skip these games? I guess we will never know.

#ThankYouConsumers

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That the textures, animations, and framerate of this game are of a budget PS2 title and I'm not exaggerating one bit.
The frame rate is solid. Digital Foundry have said that, apart from two blips when it goes through to encounters or when the camera splits in battle.

JohnDoe

Oct 26, 2017
Are you basing this on actually having played the game? I own the game and the framerate is solid.

Edit:

NVM I've seen your other posts and you have played it. Weird that I haven't had framerate issues. The performance is definitely better than Gen 6 and 7 in my experience.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sword and Shield are definitely way above XY difficulty-wise. WIth XY you didn't even have to Switch Pokemon and could just spam Mega Lucario every battle.

Yup.

And to be honest, I didn't had to do much to keep the game challenging. I set the game to "set" as I always do, didn't do every single trainer battle and kept all the Wild Area stuff for after the game.

It's a nice contrast to my brother who complained about the game being too easy and it turned out that he did everything he could do as soon as he had the possibility. He spent like 15 hours in the wild area just raiding and battling wild Pokémon.
Of course he would be overleveld for what came after.

Not that I'm trying to tell people how to play the game, but it really isn't difficult to keep the game fairly challenging.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Of course it was gonna sell well, who the hellis crzy enough to think it wouldn't make bank despite its glaring issues? I have serious issue with the games but that's about it. Now using sales metrics to ignore any and every criticism and call us strawmen like some of yoh are doing in this thread on the other hand, now THAT'S hilarious.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Are you basing this on actually having played the game? I own the game and the framerate is solid.

Edit:

NVM I've seen your other posts and you have played it. Weird that I haven't had framerate issues. The performance is definitely better than Gen 6 and 7 in my experience.
Basically, if you're playing online in the Wild Area, it'll sometimes stutter. This is due to latency due to it bringing people in, in real time, into the Wild Area. However people are strangely misconstrueing it as frame rate issues