• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

unknown.png
And 13 is great. Just like SnS.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
How did you manage to do that? My game currently says ive got 32 hours logged and I'm just now heading towards the 6th badge

I just played the game normally. And I spent a lot of time in the Wild Area, but eventually had to move on as my Pokemon started to become even more over-leveled than they already were.

I'm truly stunned that you're 32 hours in and only on the 6th badge. The only way I can see that is either a lot of idling time, or time spent trading/battling and not playing through the story.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
These are definitely the shortest mainline Pokémon games I've ever played, and US/UM are the only ones I haven't touched.

It's undoubtedly because of the incredible linearity and rushed pacing after gym 4

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced they will or care to do anything about the criticisms in the next games, I would love to be wrong because I was so excited for this game until all the information came out and even with some of the good things about the game I just can't justify it.
They addressed a number of the criticisms people had about gen 7 and will do it again. What they will choose to address is unknown, but they see everything people say.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Loving this game and happy to see it's doing well. I'm sorry for those that feel disappointed.

Based on my experience so far (Gym 7 now) I think my greatest wants for a Gen 9 would be:
  • Expand the wild area, to be something that grows in scope with almost every gym. They did this after Gym 3, and less so after Gym 6, but I would have liked to see the area wrap around Hammerlocke and up north.
  • Implement a queuing system for raids or other group activities. I love Max Raid battles, but scanning the Y Comm system is a bit rough sometimes.
  • Sorting options for the boxes.
The game has other problems, but I think these three things would probably do a lot for my personal enjoyment and game longevity. Routes are fun, but I enjoy the wild area far more.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Thanks for posting the opinions. I'm curious to see the opinions of lapsed players because of how can they change the perception of the gen. For a seasoned player that gets invested too much into a game I can see how the next one can sink it hard by dropping something. While not always being a hit some novelty ideas also have appeal and compel to pick up the games or play more even if that might just be some improvement or something not valuable enough to keep which is where opinions may also vary.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's not an actual statistic. It's hypothetical.
Well, it was one of the few options the game gave you to increase difficulty so I don't think it shouldn't be removed, even if most people didn't use it.
And I'd be fine with forced exp share if the game actually had difficulty settings like in Black/White 2. But unfortunately that's one of the features that's still missing from Pokémon games for some weird reason.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced they will or care to do anything about the criticisms in the next games, I would love to be wrong because I was so excited for this game until all the information came out and even with some of the good things about the game I just can't justify it.

Sorry that's not how a forum works, the conversations are part of it but the dissapointmnets and the criticims are part of it as well. It's not that I don't love pokemon but it's going down a path that concerns me even if it sells alot.
I'm not saying you can't voice criticism. The game definitely deserves criticism, but people some people are making this game the worst thing ever which is not. What I don't understand why do it in every thread. This thread is about the sales success, and it turned into game freak and Pokemon franchise criticism like every other thread.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They addressed a number of the criticisms people had about gen 7 and will do it again. What they will choose to address is unknown, but they see everything people say.
I hope they do and they hit it out of the park.

I'm not saying you can't voice criticism. The game definitely deserves criticism, but people some people are making this game the worst thing ever which is not. What I don't understand why do it in every thread. This thread is about the sales success, and it turned into game freak and Pokemon franchise criticism like every other thread.
It's not in every pokemon thread that's the thing, You are right there are plenty of threads that have criticism but there are also lots of praise.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I'm not going to read this shit hole of a thread to see if it's been posted, but it also set sales records in Canada. Got the PR blast on it today.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Really fun game. I had forgotten how fun it is to build and grow your team. I just wish the game was a little harder.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That's very subjective lol

It also gave us stuff like the Genies

While I think BW are overrated I do think that if the only pokemon introduced into it were Trubbish, Garbodor, and fuck it let's say some 60-70 new Unown to represent katakana characters, it would still have the best pokemon designs in the series this side of Sword/Shield.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Have you guys heard about Gamefreak, the Champion of franchise sales? His franchise called Pokemon is really cool. I heard he has other franchises too, but no one cares about them.

Jun 2, 2019
I'm truly stunned that you're 32 hours in and only on the 6th badge. The only way I can see that is either a lot of idling time, or time spent trading/battling and not playing through the story.

There's no idling time in this game, man. The game expects you to take a break from the main story fairly often (You can literally catch more pokémon in the wild area after each badge) including yes, battling and trading, along with max raids (Of wich you can access stronger pokémon as you get more badges)

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Didn't expect this thread to became another one where Boomers post their pokemon gen rankings.

Kind of wish that more newbies and lapsed players posted their opinions. That poll that was made not long ago where people started playing pokemon seems to be very accurate.
At this point mislabeling boomers should be an automatic ban.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Not really, It's the lowest reviewed mainline game ever, It's not that it's a bad game by any means but it also doesn't mean that it's the best ever, it's probably somewhere in the middle. Again I'm really glad your enjoying it but it's not without it's problems.
Dunno its probably my favourite game in the franchise since Black and White

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Not really, It's the lowest reviewed mainline game ever, It's not that it's a bad game by any means but it also doesn't mean that it's the best ever, it's probably somewhere in the middle. Again I'm really glad your enjoying it but it's not without it's problems.
It's not the lowest reviewed mainline game ever. Black 2/White 2 are lower, and we all know how much the Pokémon fan base loves those two. XY are also the highest rated mainline games ever. I guess those are now going to be considered the best games in the series.
It has issues, yes. So did every past game. Presumably future ones will too. The issues can be severe enough for you personally to not enjoy the game or even want to get it. I understand and empathize with that. But to state that there's some universal barometer of quality (Metacritic, apparently) that these games don't meet, and so aren't "quality games" is nonsense. Spare me that.

I agree it's middle of the pack (I even said so in my own rankings!). That... still makes it quality.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to the devs! Must feel good to be them after the thrashing they've received by the vocal minority to see this type of success.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
It's not the lowest reviewed mainline game ever. Black 2/White 2 are lower, and we all know how much the Pokémon fan base loves those two. XY are also the highest rated mainline games ever. I guess those are now going to be considered the best games in the series.
It has issues, yes. So did every past game. Presumably future ones will too. The issues can be severe enough for you personally to not enjoy the game or even want to get it. I understand and empathize with that. But to state that there's some universal barometer of quality (Metacritic, apparently) that these games don't meet, and so aren't "quality games" is nonsense. Spare me that.

I agree it's middle of the pack (I even said so in my own rankings!). That... still makes it quality.
If somebody doesn't consider them quality games, then that's that. They dont need to meet your standards for that to be valid. It doesn't give you authority to "correct" people expressing dislike.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
If somebody doesn't consider them quality games, then that's that. They dont need to meet your standards for that to be valid. It doesn't give you authority to "correct" people expressing dislike.
Sure. You were expressing your take (they don't have quality), and I replied with mine. That was the end of that. It was a pretty short, albeit unremarkable, interaction.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
This game is very polarazing since it does so many things right, but it totally drops the ball on other things. Having a bunch of Pokemon available to catch from the start and always having PC access to switch out Pokemon is great. The core of Pokemon is battling and giving you many options very quickly is great. On other other hand they totally dropped the ball with online functionality. The game becoming a slideshow in online wild mode and having no GTS is just terrible.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't see your rating and you are right black and white 2 are lower so that point is incorrect because when i last looked it was lower than they were. Saleswise it looks like it's paying off for them but I don't think these are going to end up as the best games in the series, they are selling but it's absolutely polarizing.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I didn't see your rating and you are right black and white 2 are lower so that point is incorrect because when i last looked it was lower than they were. Saleswise it looks like it's paying off for them but I don't think these are going to end up as the best games in the series, they are selling but it's absolutely polarizing.
Yeah, I do agree with you. I hope they are able to make improvements from here on out to retain current fans, and bring back anyone who feels alienated with these ones :)

At the very least, SwSh are a great base to work from.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
There's no idling time in this game, man. The game expects you to take a break from the main story fairly often (You can literally catch more pokémon in the wild area after each badge) including yes, battling and trading, along with max raids (Of wich you can access stronger pokémon as you get more badges)
Yeah that's how I played it. I just got all the badges and I'm at 60 hours.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
But part of that is because of time.

Each game has been released to a bigger group of people with more access to social media and internet. I wouldn't say that this game is any more polarizing than previous games, simply because there are more people voicing their opinions than before.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a ridiculous amount of fun with this game. I just dearly hope that Nintendo invests in this series' future on home consoles. SwSh was a good start, but there's room to grow.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I feel like a lot is hinging on the next main series games.

Nah, Game Freak is in a super cosy position now that the market has deemed Sword/Shield to be an acceptable standard for a home console Pokemon game. They'll just try and see how many more corners they can cut, if anything.