• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
"It's only a few people that act like like rabid lunatics!"

This will really help the mental well-being of people being attacked and threatened over liking a game.

Y'all always so quick to dismiss the personal plight of people affected by this shit. I guess it's really about ethics in game development.
Brock Reiher got banned for a week for those kind of comparisons, just a heads up.

Maybe try actually engaging with arguments instead being incendiary and saying everyone who disagrees with you on this video game is a gamergater?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imo they're good, complete, but flawed games that would have been much better if they had an extra year of dev time. I'm glad they're not broken, but there's obviously a lot that they originally planned that had to get cut, not even counting the dex stuff.

I still hope whoever makes these decisions can lengthen the development period for the gen 9 games, but I don't know if they'll be inclined to do that after these sales numbers lol

There's absolutely no reason to make longer dev cycles if a game like this, with less content than ds or 3ds games, but with a 60 price tag is breaking all records and probably making more profit than any pokemon endeavor that came before.

This was the test, they are completely cutting more shit for the next games, and i'm sure a new game is coming out next year. They have the money making machine ready.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Actually:

It sold well.

It has minor technical performance flaws which should be fixed in next years iteration, and a back loaded story imo.

GameFreak didn't lie to the public about the development of the game.

Every structural change they made to the game made it better.

The game isn't half assed and pushes the series forward in key ways.
I mean, it's the only switch exclusive jrpg without an option to change the difficulty. Isnt that a standard in modern jrpgs?
And they did lie about balance. lol why is Mawile and delibird even in the game is they're not gonna buff their stats?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This will really help the mental well-being of people being attacked and threatened over liking a game.

Y'all always so quick to dismiss the personal plight of people affected by this shit. I guess it's really about ethics in game development.
What do you want us to do exactly? We have no control over the worst people out there. Do I HAVE to support the game or else clearly I'm ok with the lunatics out there?

Every opinion is going to have some people who take shit to far, why am I lumped in with them because I have issues with a fucking video game?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Or maybe people are tired of being lumped in with shit heads because they dare be upset with the games.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's the only switch exclusive jrpg without an option to change the difficulty. Isnt that a standard in modern jrpgs?
Pokemon games are never compared to other JRPGs. They're never compared to other games on their respective systems. They exist as their own separate entity in which they can only be compared to themselves and occasionally to previous entries from over a decade ago (the last one the reviewer player)

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I can think of a few things.
I'm not even offended at the game at this point. Hell, I'm been bagging on Gen 6 way harder than SwSh since the leaks started. It's just everyone falling over themselves to worship Game Freak's numbers is embarrassing, and I'd be saying that even if I was enjoying the game myself. Let me reiterate this, Sword and Shield streamlining its formula doesn't bother me. People enjoying the game doesn't bother me. Bea's cool. Flapple's cool. Corviknight's cool. Grookey Gang can piss off, though. But people prostrating themselves like Game Freak are their parents and salivating at how big their Christmas bonus will be, though? Yeah, that's pathetic.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
It has more than minor technical flaws and they have lied to the public. The game has tons of flaws and hopefully the next iteration will be better but this one is a dissapointment.

Not really. They're solved by disconnecting from the internet in the wild area which is just a button press away. The next iteration of the wild area will most likely fix this.

And no they didn't lie. You read one translation about animations and ran with because you wanted to be mad. Other translations included concerns about game balance which is much helped with the reduced pokemon.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
User Banned (5 days): Lazy Dev Rhetoric, History of related behavior
I can't think of anything more pathetic than cheerleading the massive financial success of a multi-billion dollar company that you have no actual stake in and thus, disincetivizing them from actually improving their product.

Cheerleading the success of what is, objectively, a very low effort product is really problematic.

It might be a fun low effort product. It might sell well as a low effort product. But it is still a low effort product.

I can think of something more pathetic, being angry with people who are enjoying a game.

As opposed to being angry at those pointing out clear deficiencies in said game? Because ultimately that's what all of these posts are about "it sold well and I like it therefore you're wrong to criticise this game".

Problem being the criticism of Sword and Shield is totally fair whether you emotionally like it or not. The criticism of GameFreak, especially for lying to the public, is also totally fair whether you emotionally like it or not.

Feel free to buy the game. Feel free to enjoy the game. But that doesn't make any of the criticism of it any less valid.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. They're solved by disconnecting from the internet in the wild area which is just a button press away. The next iteration of the wild area will most likely fix this.

And no they didn't lie. You read one translation about animations and ran with because you wanted to be mad. Other translations included concerns about game balance which is much helped with the reduced pokemon.
Yeah they lied, You pretending they didn't isn't doing anything but show you haven't paid attention.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
You're aware that lazy and ambitious mean different things I hope?
Are you implying that people would post death threats towards GF here if it was allowed?
I am not implying anything.
I am saying that people here dont write what they want to write because they dont want to get banned.
I dont think people here would post death threats, but i defintively think if the no lazy dev rule was removed, people would start using it again.
Ah so the complainers are all terrible people who must agree with the jackasses harassing people. Do I seriously need to preface every fucking post complaining about Pokemon with "I do not support harassing people?"

Meanwhile people are allowed to personally insult others like Kojima and no one bats an eye.
Could yall stop assuming i lump the people criticising the game and the people harrassing into the same group ?
I have never done so, but every time i even remotely mention someone doing something toxic, yall jump on me saying i lump you together.
Do i seriously need to preface every fucking post with "i dont lump people together" ?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so the complainers are all terrible people who must agree with the jackasses harassing people. Do I seriously need to preface every fucking post complaining about Pokemon with "I do not support harassing people?"

Meanwhile people are allowed to personally insult others like Kojima and no one bats an eye.
Don't forget the thread full of people telling Ono to fuck off.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
People are grasping at straws here to keep Game Freak as the bad guy, for whatever reason. Going as far as to say they "lied" about the work involved in bringing Pokémon from the 3DS, when none of the people making such accusation know for sure how much work it actually was.

I guess that's what happens when you have neither a low Metascore nor a lower sales figure to validate your opinion..

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Damn. These are the McDonalds of games.

I personally dont think these numbers are deserved. And I hope it doesn't incentivize similar experiences going forward. These games aren't even close to hitting their potential.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
As a complete ignorant on the series, I fail to see the big issues with this game that:

1 - got decent reviews (on par of past entries),
2 - people playing are sharing how much fun the games are,
3 - It's selling like crazy, breaking records even.

So.. I don't get it.. if something was so bad about them, one of the 3 factors above wouldn't be a thing.. I guess.

Again, as an outsider, I expected the first mainline Pokémon on Switch to be a HD 3DS game, and I think they went beyond my expectations

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Diablo 3 bad? I can understand saying that at launch but now?
I actually haven't touched Reaper of Souls (though I've heard good things), but I'm assuming the bulk of those sales have to be the launch version since that was such a huge success at launch.

Reaper of Souls is the Pokemon Gun Version in this analogy where GF takes another 18 months and finishes the game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People are grasping at straws here to keep Game Freak as the bad guy, for whatever reason. Going as far as to say they "lied" about the work involved in bringing Pokémon from the 3DS, when none of the people making such accusation know for sure how much work it actually was.

I guess that's what happens when you have neither a low Metascore nor a lower sales figure to validate your opinion..

Oh yes, we need metascore or sales to recognize flaws in a product, lmfao.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they lied, You pretending they didn't isn't doing anything but show you haven't paid attention.

I mean even if they did, and they used it as an excuse to reduce the number of pokemon in some secret scheme to ruin your childhood memories, I would say its worth it because we got a better game out of it in the process.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I am not implying anything.
I am saying that people here dont write what they want to write because they dont want to get banned.
I dont think people here would post death threats, but i defintively think if the no lazy dev rule was removed, people would start using it again.

Could yall stop assuming i lump the people criticising the game and the people harrassing into the same group ?
I have never done so, but every time i even remotely mention someone doing something toxic, yall jump on me saying i lump you together.
Do i seriously need to preface every fucking post with "i dont lump people together" ?
From what I've seen people do this a lot.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
As a complete ignorant on the series, I fail to see the big issues with this game that:

So.. I don't get it.. if something was so bad about them, one of the 3 factors above wouldn't be a thing.. I guess.

Again, as an outsider, I expected the first mainline Pokémon on Switch to be a HD 3DS game, and I think they went beyond my expectations
Largely, the issues with the game are something really only diehards would care about. If you're new to the series or simply a lapsed fan, you will not notice the majority of them. Pokemon has a strong core that would take, like, deliberate self-sabotage to screw up.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

And you're real quick to use those peoples plight to defend a game you like.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nobody is grasping at straws when it's accurate. You and any others can pretend they didn't lie but they have and it's been proven.
I mean even if they did, and they used it as an excuse to reduce the number of pokemon in some secret scheme to ruin your childhood memories, I would say its worth it because we got a better game out of it in the process.
lmao there is, We didn't get a better game out of it in the process. We got a game missing some major things and cut down in major ways. Yes it has some features that will be great going forward but it's far from a better game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I think it's worth noting that widely-regarded the worst Pokemon generation, XY, currently has the highest score on Metacritic (sort of a Dark Souls 2 situation) so this is just one of those series where the minute details are so important that it's tough for critics that aren't hardcore fans to really navigate.

That being said, it is notable that this is the lowest scoring mainline entry since at least the GBA, and maybe ever, even if an 80 OC isn't bad by itself.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
And they did lie about balance. lol why is Mawile and delibird even in the game is they're not gonna buff their stats?

A design decision is not necessarily a "standard", and adding an additional difficulty is not a magic button.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive, and not unexpected given the history of Nintendo's software sales increases on Switch.

As an RPG fan who's also been a Pokemon fan since the series began, it's just a shame to me that these games have the least content in the series, when it should've been the opposite. A large part of Pokemon's appeal to me was exploration, and that aspect has been all but removed—replaced with FFXIII-style linearity, and entire towns that are empty facades.

The Wild Area, while aesthetically lacking, is a fantastic addition, insofar as it allows you to battle a variety of Pokemon of higher levels. But the design philosophy there seems hamstrung by (1) not being able to catch said Pokemon, and (2) the fact that the rest of the linear game is underleveled relative to the player with EXP All, discouraging leveling up against the Wild Area's inhabitants.

Have a little faith in children going forward, GF—and while you're at it, acknowledge your substantial aged userbase by adding a Hard mode.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, you either spend a lot of time levelling, or spend a lot of time breeding.
I don't get why they didn't lower the Bottle Cap requirement to level 50, since all games online are at level 50.
With EXP candies, leveling to 100 is not a concern anymore. Raids are enough and those are fun.

Oct 27, 2017

Well, it looks better than an HD 3DS game, but it honestly plays exactly like the 3DS ones with more QoL features. The main issue, and the reason why those 3 points don't seem to be factors, is that pokemon games are regularly not compared to other games on their systems or to other JRPGs.

The core gameplay loop of catching pokemon + raising/battling is fun enough that people seem to gloss over their other shortcomings.

It's graphically underwhelming compared to other JRPGs, the writing is objectively worse than I think any other game series I've played, and you as a long time fan you can see the features that were removed/regressed for seemingly no reason other than to appeal to kids lower attention spans because of smartphones (which is literally a reason the director used to justify cutting features)