• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Poster 1: I like the game

Poster 2:*rolls dice*
1-2: The game has tons of issues
3-4: Well i hate it
5-6: It didnt sell as well as it could/should

but keep pretending its a one way street.
You mean Poster 2 again because that "I like the game" would be one of the replies to criticism. It really is close to a one way street to be honest. Plenty of people who have been and are highly critical of the games are still enjoying them, myself included, which is totally fine as someone can still be critical of the things they enjoy, but more people should realize that.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poster 1: I like the game

Poster 2:*rolls dice*
1-2: The game has tons of issues
3-4: Well i hate it
5-6: It didnt sell as well as it could/should

but keep pretending its a one way street.

You forgot scouring twitter to find positive opinions so they can harass people and sending death threats.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Eh.. I know this is a common joke but I'm 100% sure that if they do another "upper version" there will be a DLC option. Yokai-Watch did it and Monster Hunter did it.
I doubt it. They want that $60. They even have a built-in set up for another Galar game by setting it in another year when the major league teams have rotated.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for CeroMiedo in the mc thread.

Pokémon fucking Gigamaxed

pyH0gPI.gif

(I'm gonna have to make a Meowth gif soon depending on the legs)

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
The loudest voices don't always speak for the majority. The game is lots of fun.

What is with people?

It sold well.

It has huge flaws and the franchise as a whole has wasted potential.

GameFreak lied to the public about the development of the game.

All of these statements can be true, they aren't mutually exclusive. Trying to make out like they are so you can "win" against your "enemy" is the kind of mentality that is the problem in the world today.

If anything the fact that game freak can turn out half assed games like Sword and Shield and sell millions is exactly why Pokemon is such the stagnant franchise it is. No matter how fun you think the game is you can't argue it's an impressive AAA title.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No surprise. Pokemon had been huge since its inception, Pokemon Go raised the IP's mindshare to an even higher level again, and combined with Switch being on fire, it was a no brainer this was going to do gangbusters.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Imo they're good, complete, but flawed games that would have been much better if they had an extra year of dev time. I'm glad they're not broken, but there's obviously a lot that they originally planned that had to get cut, not even counting the dex stuff.

I still hope whoever makes these decisions can lengthen the development period for the gen 9 games, but I don't know if they'll be inclined to do that after these sales numbers lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because logically, yes, everyone knows that Pokemon, the single largest media franchise on planet earth, is going to sell very well barring very extreme circumstances. Emotionally though people can't help but be upset because a game franchise they care about, in their opinion, is going downhill and nobody else seems to care. which means there's no reason to ever make it anything other than what it is now. Which, in my opinion as a player of these games for nearly my whole life, is that they are fun for sure, I won't deny that at all, but also kinda mediocre. The franchise hasn't changed much in any meaningful way since its inception beyond adding a bit more plot elements and transitioning to 3D graphics, and in this iteration adding semi-open world elements (that in the end don't really change the core gameplay as much as I would have hoped, but is still a welcome addition). For new players, or fans of the franchise that have skipped a few games, or even core fans that were soured by Gen 7 with its near oppressive dialogue and the like, they definitely would seem fresh and an improvement. I can't deny that there are definitely aspects that have been improved, but also some have gone backwards, such as Y-Comm being a kind of shitty online system, and the cutting of over half the Pokedex. I totally understand why people like these games and why they would sell so well, but it does have implications for the series going forward that these games could sell so well in spite of so many complaints (albeit seemingly from a vast, vocal minority) those implications being for better or worse. In the end though, games evolve over time, and sometimes they evolve in such a way that may be distasteful to you. At a certain point one needs to accept that criticism isn't going to change the course of that evolution, and accept that you just aren't the target for these games anymore. I don't think we've reached that point in the cycle yet, though.

Anyways, I don't think the snarkiness or occasional aggressive attitude is necessary, but i understand why people are feeling down about it. I think those opinions can and should be voiced, however not in such a way that belittles others (same for people who have positive opinions about the games tbh). It's just a video game after all.

Yea I get all that, I'm just pointing out it's weird to act like it doesn't matter, only to later reveal that you really do care after all. But that bit about it being an emotional thing is prolly spot-on

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo Switch Software | 2/3-Day Opening Global Sell-Through

OCT 17 - SMO 2M - Source
NOV 18 - LGPE 3M - Source
DEC 18 - SSBU 5M - Source
NOV 19 - SWSH 6M - Source

I am archiving these. Anyone have any others - let me know!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot scouring twitter to find positive opinions so they can harass people and sending death threats.
Anyone doing that should be ashamed and banned from whatever community they are sending it from but that's not the majority of people that have issues with these games.

People actually value their Era accounts, apparently.
Or your trying to attribute shitty things to a larger group of people.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Pretty god damn impressive. Obviously the series has past a lot of us by (thought we still buy it and love it in our own way) what an insane behemoth they have going and seemingly with no end. Hooks every new generation of kids cause the idea is so compelling.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I just hope the numerous flaws this game has doesn't drown out with these huge sales. I really hope they take a break next year.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is with people?

It sold well.

All of these statements can be true, they aren't mutually exclusive. Trying to make out like they are so you can "win" against your "enemy" is the kind of mentality that is the problem in the world today.

If anything the fact that game freak can turn out half assed games like Sword and Shield and sell millions is exactly why Pokemon is such the stagnant franchise it is. No matter how fun you think the game is you can't argue it's an impressive AAA title.
Pretty much.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
The main thing that promoted (and still does) hacking is simply the grind involved with breeding. As long as you need more than 5 minutes to make a competitive Pokémon people will hack.

Exactly.

Yeah and Hidden Power is the biggest bit of that

Yeah, not at all, what are you talking about?
First: most competitive Pokémon do not need Hidden Power, so it can't be the biggest waste time.

Second: the biggest waste of time are EVs and IVs.
Both are doable, but they take way more than 5 minutes. Levelling six Pokémon to levell 100, getting six Bottle caps, and EV training takes a lot of time.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
#ThankYouGameFreak.

Seriously. It's a great game and I'm glad to see all the dumbass "controversy" around it didn't hurt it.

Keep on sellin'!

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 day): inflammatory accusation
Anyone doing that should be ashamed and banned from whatever community they are sending it from but that's not the majority of people that have issues with these games.

Or your trying to attribute shitty things to a larger group of people.

"It's only a few people that act like like rabid lunatics!"

This will really help the mental well-being of people being attacked and threatened over liking a game.

Y'all always so quick to dismiss the personal plight of people affected by this shit. I guess it's really about ethics in game development.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No, but I can't think of anything more pathetic than cheerleading the massive financial success of a multi-billion dollar company that you have no actual stake in and thus, disincetivizing them from actually improving their product.
I can think of something more pathetic, being angry with people who are enjoying a game.

Oct 27, 2017
Both are doable, but they take way more than 5 minutes. Levelling six Pokémon to levell 100, getting six Bottle caps, and EV training takes a lot of time.
There is literally no situation in the game or in multiplayer where you've ever need to level a pokemon up to anywhere near 100 and doing so is entirely on you if you

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Is it me or are you implying things here?
Its pretty clear what they mean.
People here are definitively not saying what they want to because rules of the forum dont allow it, even if they dont get enforced all that strictly.

Its why lots of people changed from calling gamefreak lazy to calling them unambitius once mods started enforcing the no lazy dev rethoric rule.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Super impressive sales and it's still got the whole holiday season to come. We may yet see Pokémon get close to the 20 million mark again.

Also for those trying to shit down the critics because it sold well this doesn't change my opinion. Having now played a friends copy the game is even more flawed than I thought it would be and no amount of sales will change my mind on this.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's only a few people that act like like rabid lunatics!"

This will really help the mental well-being of people being attacked and threatened over liking a game.

Y'all always so quick to dismiss the personal plight of people affected by this shit. I guess it's really about ethics in game development.
You are so quick to blame anyone who doesn't like it that we are going to threaten ones who do which is totally the opposite of what's happening. Keep speaking out of your ass.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Actually:

It sold well.

It has minor technical performance flaws which should be fixed in next years iteration, and a back loaded story imo.

GameFreak didn't lie to the public about the development of the game.

Every structural change they made to the game made it better.

The game isn't half assed and pushes the series forward in key ways.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh wow, I didn't even realize this is definitely going to encourage yearly releases even moreso. I'm not too thrilled about that.
I feel its the opposite, reaching DS tier sales more then likely means that they will see this as a chance to sit on their laurels and do some introspection for the DP remakes or whatever will come next.
My dream scenario is that next year we get a SWSH DLC. Adding around 40 new Pokémon and a new campaign, and also more QoL changes and performance improvements.
I think this is coming, and is not a dream scenario.
Lots of 3rd Version improvements have been included, the majority of the G-Max forms are unavailable for now, and with how self contained the games are along with B2W2 tier story progress in the post league it feels like they are gearing up for something like this. There really is no room for a 3rd version and a sequel will havr less impact then B2W2 because it already sets up a lot of potential plot threads and leaves little to imagination.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
What is with people?

It sold well.

Or maybe there is something you and a lot of others don't understand?

That Pokemon is not, and not trying to be, an "AAA title".

And it is amazing that it can sell this much without relying on graphics or its world size like almost every game out there ??

Like Rocket League, Fortnite, Minecraft and many others, this is a family friendly game, it is all about digital pets having competition against each other and having fun, that is all.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. They want that $60. They even have a built-in set up for another Galar game by setting it in another year when the major league teams have rotated.
If they do another Galar game I hope it's sequels. New starting island based on Northern Ireland, expanded routes in the main island, improved towns, slightly expanded Wild Area, some gym leaders rotated out, 200 or more additional old Pokemon, the 4 fossils revived in their true forms, a new mascot Legendary that can use the sword or shield and has an ultimate form where it uses both, expanded post game, make exp share optional again and introduce a better LoD system so models don't pop out of existence 10 feet away.
Oh yeah, and make TRs less grindy.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually:

It sold well.

It has minor technical performance flaws which should be fixed in next years iteration, and a back loaded story imo.

GameFreak didn't lie to the public about the development of the game.

Every structural change they made to the game made it better.

The game isn't half assed and pushes the series forward in key ways.
It has more than minor technical flaws and they have lied to the public. The game has tons of flaws and hopefully the next iteration will be better but this one is a dissapointment.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People here are definitively not saying what they want to because rules of the forum dont allow it, even if they dont get enforced all that strictly.

Its why lots of people changed from calling gamefreak lazy to calling them unambitius once mods started enforcing the no lazy dev rethoric rule.
Ah so the complainers are all terrible people who must agree with the jackasses harassing people. Do I seriously need to preface every fucking post complaining about Pokemon with "I do not support harassing people?"

Meanwhile people are allowed to personally insult others like Kojima and no one bats an eye.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're aware that lazy and unambitious mean different things I hope?
Are you implying that people would post death threats towards GF here if it was allowed?