• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's not about the amount or catching them all
It's about the game not having your favorite
It's not rocket science
Stop misrepresenting this shit

Those people will either not buy the games or they will get over it. You're taking about a series that has like 900+ pokemon now. They were not forever going to have ever single pokemon available in ever game. You might see an "everyone is here" approach after they are able to transition more models and moves to HD (maybe).

But this is just going to become a monstrous undertaking the longer the series goes on and despite the sales, that doesn't make developing more and more ambitious titles faster.

MangoLC

Oct 29, 2017
Though, I do wish there'll be substantial innovations next games.
Honestly not singling you out, more a general statement to everyone who played the game but feels similar. Game Freak will never change their development philosophy if people continue to buy each successive game that (imo) regresses from the previous game.
Yes, each new game may be fun but that's because the core concept is fun. But if people really want future games to be at their true potential, then Game Freak (and Nintendo) needs to see hard evidence that the current philosophy is not what people want. That evidence can only come from people not buying the game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean people bought it because it was the 1st core mainline HD Pokemon, but how many will be back ic the games continue to be stale? For instance, 4 of my friends bought it at launch but only 1 of them will buying the next entry.

Yeah, X / Y sold for being the first in 3D, S / M for Pokémon GO, Sw / Sh only for being the first in HD.

Pokémon, the company that has been lucky for 23 years. /s

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Congrats, Game Freak!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if it's a stupid question but are game freak or the Pokémon company owned by Nintendo? Or is it still exclusive just because of history / money bags??
Others have already explained it, but an easy way to describe it is what Ratchet and Clank used to be for Sony. Insomniac was independent while Ratchet was owned by Sony.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not about the amount or catching them all
It's about the game not having your favorite
It's not rocket science
Stop misrepresenting this shit

This game doesn't have my favorite.
I still love it and it allowed me to fall in love with other Pokémon I previously ignored.

So yeah, I'm starting to see the appeal in rotating the lineup of Pokémon

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): antagonising other member
This was always going to happen. Meh, expect new cuts for the next games then. They are totally testing the waters with these games.

That the vocal disgusting group that send death threats and harass developers are the minority?

Yeah me too.

I like how you can always, always, lump everyone that dared say something wrong about this game with harassers and death-threat senders. And this shit is allowed freely here.

What's the goal, Joe?

you're literally in every single thread trying to downplay these games lol
whats the goal?

Funny you say this stuff to a poster when you threw a tantrum and called me "harasser" when i mentioned the same thing about your presence on pokemon threads. Lmao. Guess it only works one way.

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if it's a stupid question but are game freak or the Pokémon company owned by Nintendo? Or is it still exclusive just because of history / money bags??
Game Freak is Independent. The Pokemon Company is an autonomous joint venture of Game Freak, Creatures, and Nintendo to manage the franchise. Nintendo owns all trademarks.

Bonus: Nintendo has minority stake in Creatures.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Past games had over 800.

So if you had an old favourite, odds are you had a 50/50 chance of yours making it in or not.

There's probably an alternate timeline where I would have The Fallen Tag instead of an Avengers one, but Luxray made it into Sword and Shield.

0issebsuusy31.jpg

Whats the % of people who even transfer their favourites months after release from Bank?

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun with Shield. I've only beat 3 gym leaders and sunk 25 hours into the game. Spent a bunch of time in the Wild Area catching them Pocket Monsters.

So I'm happy it's a success and hoping GF/TPC take the right lessons from the success and criticism and build on these games while restoring missing features. I'd love to see a bigger, more interactive world with a better integrated Wild Area.

If you want a bigger, more interactive world you probably shouldn't be happy that the most streamlined and barebones games in the series are a success.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I don't see why a new game introduction has to specifically be set in Kanto. Go was on like Hoenn at the time anyway. Could have even created a brand new game with it's own set of new Pokemon and characters that people could get attached to.

Gee, that sounds like what Sword and Shield is in a way... maybe they could have skipped Let's Go and put an extra level of polish into Sword and Shield and gotten better games out of it in the process.

The rationale behind it was that the jump from a tap-to-catch/tap-to-fight mobile game to a fullscale RPG experience would have been daunting, so here was Let's Go as a way to bridge babies to us vets. Last year was also the 20th anniversary of Yellow, so that explains the Kanto setting. You may not agree with these reasons (I didn't initially) but again, it did a good job doing what it was intended to do.

You have a strong point there. I'm not sure what Little Town Hero was for but that game, Quest, and Let's Go apparently had Sword and Shield team members working on them. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about how development teams operate but I guess they're more concerned with growing the already-biggest franchise ever (as well as whatever their purpose was for making Hero) than making the best games possible. Whether or not that's worth it for us as fans is something we'll have to decide on.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But Pokémon Let's Go and that 1 billion casual market opportunity! Oh shame.

At least something good came out of it (Visible Pokémon roaming the overworld).

Well deserved for Pokémon Sw&Sh

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why a new game introduction has to specifically be set in Kanto. Go was on like Hoenn at the time anyway. Could have even created a brand new game with it's own set of new Pokemon and characters that people could get attached to.

Gee, that sounds like what Sword and Shield is in a way... maybe they could have skipped Let's Go and put an extra level of polish into Sword and Shield and gotten better games out of it in the process.
It was a remake of gen 1, handled by a young team that grew up on Gen 1. Get over it.

Let's Go didn't kill your dog, the game was not some kind of betrayal many tried to make it out to be. It was its only little thing targeting newcomers introduced from Pokemon Go.

The constant hate filled negativity in this goddamn piece of shit "hardcore" Pokemon community has turned my stomach into knots that I hardly participate in any of it anymore. It's toxic. I make very rare appearances in Pokemon threads on ERA these days. I had already been joining less and less in the days of GAF over the past number of years which span 3 or so Pokemon generations.

Pre-release and speculation is especially terrible. I remember back in the days of Black and White. Some growing sentiments of anger were even seen bubbling there because some idiot leaker did not know how to properly dump a ROM, so some people thought the game was buggy and glitchy and there were sentiments of calling Game Freak lazy and incompetent. It being a bad ROM dump and buggy also triggered anti-piracy mechanisms like no EXP, etc. And it only grew with each passing generation around pre-release information, footage, and the speculation. Rotting away decent discussion each gen. I had thought the peak of this bubbling anger appearing over the course of generations was going to be with Let's Go from people feeling betrayed by its very existence and harassing YouTubers and streamers for even showing enjoyment in playing it. But no, now after all the crying wolf, this is the real shit. And don't get me wrong, there are legit criticisms to be had for SwSh, but my god, the sheer hatred some people have for Game Freak. Like making a fake Twitter to make accusations that Masuda raped them, harassing and sending death threats to devs, harassing YouTubers and Streamers for showing interest to a point where some will be playing the game off stream only, that is if they even buy the game from all the harassment which can push people out of a community. Or the hashtag #GameFreakLied regarding the models, when none of them know a goddamn thing about what goes into models (hint: IT'S MORE THAN JUST WIREFRAMES AND TRIANGLES). The list goes on and on. No one in "hardcore" Pokemon communities can even talk about Pokemon like normal people. It makes me not want to be part of the Pokemon community at all anymore.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I dont really understand why they had to cut moves like hidden power, signal beam and returns but leave useless moves like bubble, growl or mist. What's the reasoning behind this?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have it and I am enjoying it. I only played from the 3DS one though so don't have decades of history with it. So I'm a bit lost as to what is meant to be wrong with it.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Bubble got culled https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/unusableattacks.shtml :P

But it's balance, especially Hidden Power. I maintain my stance that Hidden Power was the major thing that promoted hacking in competitive circles

The reason people hack is because they don't want to do the tedious bullshit to optimize a pokemon when to improve you just need to battle with it to test whether it suits your needs.

No one I know that plays pokemon competitively is ever going to do all this shit in game. Waste of time.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The reason people hack is because they don't want to do the tedious bullshit to optimize a pokemon when to improve you just need to battle with it to test whether it suits your needs.

No one I know that plays pokemon competitively is ever going to do all this shit in game. Waste of time.
Yeah and Hidden Power is the biggest bit of that

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Vocal minority meets reality yet again.

Been playing Sword for the last week, and those who are predetermined to hate it will not like this, but it is the best pokemon game ever.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I'll be honest first Pokemon game that I've enjoyed so much that I completed it since Black and White so good job Game Freak!

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
I bought it and me and my sisters are having a blast catching shiny pokemons. I wish it had all pokemons and that the difficulty was higher but it is what it is and life is like that you gotta work with what u got

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I don't even know how little self control someone has to have to buy 2x$60 games just for a different gym leader

Similar to sport or assassins creed games, a lot of people only buy pokemon games for the consoles. So its not that crazy of a purchase if you consider it is gonna be the only game you have on your system.